Starting Monday 29th August. Anyone want to join me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bindy
    on

Thank you, it is very reassuring that someone else does hike on a keto diet. Unfortunately I can’t cut back on training as I am off in October to Australia, New Zealand for several weeks of serious trekking ( I’m retired now yeh !)with my home on my back. I have kept my carbs below 100g for a number of years and I only found out about my blood sugar due to my regular check up for hypothyroid. I always struggle below 80g but I will watch Dr Bickman’s video I have never heard of him. I might well end up taking a more slowly slowly approach than 800 per day and maybe try the 5:2 way.

• posted by Bindy
    on

California girl
    I have just watched Dr Bikmans video Insulin v Glucagon, the relevance of dietary protein. Excellent, I have a health professional background so I was extremely interested in his insulin ratios on S.A.D, Fasting & Low Carb. His advice on 1-2g/Kg of body weight for protein maybe my answer as I have always been advised to work on 0.8g.
    I am now going to work my way through the rest of his videos and stick to 50g carb.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

I’m so glad you watched Bikman’s video — I love his podcasts and listen while I’m driving.
    So yes, he recommends more protein than we have otherwise been told and it really really helped me when I upped my intake. I was much less hungry and I built muscle even on low calories.
    Did you notice his recommendation of 1-2 grams per kilogram of body weight is for your CURRENT weight — not your ideal weight. Very important distinction!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Very interesting. Julia! I think this subject, i.e., recommended protein g. is something that I’m still unclear
    about. How would you qualify the distinction between current weight and ideal weight, and is the amount
    of muscle building one seeks the quantifier? This is my point of confusion. Thanks in advance!

Allie

on

Hi Allie —
    this is a confusing issue, right? So this is my take on what Dr. Bikman recommends plus my other reading on the topic — it’s my opinion combined with my personal experience and I can only recommend it as something to consider.
    As we get older, we lose muscle naturally and it becomes harder and harder to gain muscle. This is due, I believe, to the changing hormonal status of our bodies as we age (I know you know all this but I’m repeating it for others).
    It is really important to do everything we can to protect what muscle we have and gain muscle if we can. One of the biggest problems with older people losing weight is that they DO tend to lose muscle when dieting and restricting calories, so when they are done dieting, they are even lower muscle ratio than before the diet. Really bad for their health.
    Then, some people gain the weight back (now even higher fat to muscle ratio) so they are in a WORSE place than if they never dieted at all!
    This is what Bikman addresses in his podcasts — and he started as an exercise physiologist —
    So he recommends 1-2 (ideal around 1.5) grams of good quality protein per kg of your current body weight — that is, if you got on the scale today, you would use that number. Obviously, you would lower the protein intake as you lose weight.
    Your ideal weight is the weight you WANT to weigh — the one that suits your metabolism and your BMI and your muscle ratio and your lifestyle. I think BMI is a very rough guide so I’m including those other things as important guidelines.
    The issue that always arises is that protein can be turned into glucose (gluconeogenesis) so people panic about that and think extra protein will raise their blood sugar and cause weight gain.
    Bikman says that it is life-saving that we can create glucose, otherwise we would die. It is a perfectly ok thing. However, he does cite research that shows that extra protein COMBINED with high carb intake can spike your blood sugars. Therefore, keeping the carbohydrate intake down is important — but, if you are substituting protein and fat for your carbohydrates, you won’t have a high carb intake anyway.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Bindy
    In addition to Californiagirl’s excellent advice, can I add that to avoid the Keto flu, increase your salt consumption and take magnesium supplements and drink a LOT of water.

I also hike a lot now that I’m retired and I’ve been in maintenance for over 2 years and strictly follow a very low carb, moderate protein, high fat Ketogenic diet. I also do intermittent and extended fasting and so long as I keep up my salt and water, I can hike for hours, sometimes days without food as my body is accessing my fat stores.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by 54andfatnomore
    on

Hi Californiagirl

yes still here, still active, still on the maintenance !!

Still have the 11 stone loss !!
    losing is FAR easier than keeping off !!

on

Wow 54, seriously fantastic!!!

• posted by Bindy
    on

Linda
    I already take a magnesium citrate 150g a day . However just out of interest what dose do you take and do you know how many grams of sodium (presumably salt ) a day ? Today has been the first day I haven’t felt hungry and I have done 16hrs intermittent fasting so turning the corner. Do you take just water with you when hiking or do you make up an electrolyte solution ? If so do you have a “recipe” Many thanks.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Bindy
    I take a minimum of 2 x 145mg capsules of magnesium citrate a day but sometimes I’ll increase it to 4 capsules if I get cramps at night or when I’m swimming or if I feel I’m getting constipated. The magnesium citrate is great for that.

I try for 5 grams or 1 teaspoon of salt per day and no, when I’m hiking, I just take water. I’m also on the 2Ketodudes forum and they have an electrolyte recipe, but I’ve never felt I’ve needed it as I make I sure eat very well, including liver, avocado (for potassium) and lots of leafy greens into my diet.

You can’t really overdo the salt, your body will tell you if you’re having too much. (You’ll want to throw up!)
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi All, thanks for the food inputs of what you all are eating that is interesting and very helpful.
    I’ve recently got a proper kitchen stamd mxer and various attachments to help me prep food more effeciently!
    I’m not sure that I’m losing much lately so I’m trying to make sure that I’m now serving less greens and whating the oilive oil /rapeseed oil in cooking.
    I found a heap of great recipies on the keto recipe pages ! All highly suitable for this WOE too.
    I had a tooth break last night and got it temp fixed today, but also did more hobbling about today than I have since before my op in July and I didn’t feel too tired, until I got on the train on the way home. Then my body wanted to crash!
    So that’s interesting about others saying about how the 20Carbs a day helps … I am trying hard to keep it to 20max. And I did well today I felt.
    Got another op tomorrow so more fun & games ahead.
    I too don’t always eat brekky. But I might add in tea-time as brekky (4 -6pm). I have dinner around 8-10). But I’m trying to make it earlier … to see if I do better with eating within the 6hr window. 🙂

on

Hello

I have found over the 2 years that I have been on this route that i really have to keep things simple

One simple thing I still do is ‘Track’

i still write down everything I eat or I expect I am going to eat and try very hard to plan my week

Physically writing down with a PEN on paper seems to help me connect with my eating

When doing the 8 weeks it helps me

a) Not to snack
    b) Know what I have eaten
    c) count my 800 calories
    d) Know what I can swap in and out when I don’t really like the suggested meal !!

I also dont like taking pills so seek veg or something to give the vitamins and minerals i need

Hope this helps

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks for that 54. I agree. I need to write things down too and have a special notebook with references to recipes I have found and

my meals for the Week. Starting next week Monday 3rdSeptember. Now I am back at work it won’t be so difficult to avoid temptation. I will probably skip

breakfast and see how I get on lunchtimes ( if I need to take a meal into school) My afternoons are fairly light so I won’t be home late.

I have a multivit lined up too and my big flask of green tea !

All the best 54 and thanks again for the tips

on

Thanks Wendleg

i too have a note book / file where i keep note of and details of recipies that look good and ones i have tried and i and the family like

i can then dig this out to plan meals for everyone without them knowing they are healthy !!

Bonus

Warm regards

• posted by 63Elaine
    on

Hi there…my first post on a forum ever..I have read many which have inspired me and kept me going since I started the 800 challenge.
    I saw this thread and found everyone particularly inspirational. 4 years ago i weighed 156kg..and found on this group there were others trying to loose very large amounts of weight successfully.
    In May 2018 I was 143.4kg and the diabetic assessment nurse said if I was courageous and wanted to change my lifestyle I should research the New Castle Diet.
    I did and started my journey..
    I now weigh 126.7kg. On 1st Sept 2018..I committed to another 8 weeks of 800 calories, 50g carbs, 3 litres of water and 10 000 steps a day.
    My aim is to be radiantly healthy and happy and weighing 70kg…I’m 5 foot 6 inches.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Wow 63Elaine you have done so well !
    Brilliant commitment and you sound determined to achieve a healthy weight and lifestyle. I would love to be 70 kg too but I think it’s unlikely. i’m 5 foot 4 and presently weigh 100kg. I ‘d be happy with a 20kg loss.

I started my 8 Week programme of 800 calories today . My plan is to complete it .YesI will !!! and then transition to 5.2 for a longer term.

People on the forums are lovely and have very useful tips and advice to give about their experience so Don’t hesitate to post and have a chat.
    Take care and all the very best

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi 63Elaine, and a very warm welcome to you! I have a very special place in my heart for ladies that have
    a lot lose. In June of 2016 I tipped the scales at 285 lbs, and 10 months later I’d rid myself of 50% of my
    body weight. All things are possible with the BSD, and there is so much knowledge and support in this
    community, that success is all but guaranteed if you are willing to embrace the principles of low carb,
    moderate protein and high (healthy) fat. Please join any thread that speaks to you, and you will be welcomed.
    Just shout out if you have any questions, and one of the experienced BSDers will be along to answer all
    of them! We’re all passionate about this way of life, and we like nothing better than talking about it 🙂
    Very best of luck to you!! I look forward to following your progress.

Allie

• posted by 63Elaine
    on

Thanks Wendleg and Allie for your welcome and your encouragement. It seems that persistence perseverance enthusiasm and sheer doggedness are necessary on this journey. And forgiveness is a key ingredient too. I think it helps one clamber back on the wagon quickly.
    The human companions on the journey help one, inspire one and encourage one when the drama of life overwhelms one.
    Thank you..
    Just for today…800 calories 50g carbs ( I try and have closer to 25g) 3 litres of water and 10 000 steps.
    Fasting blood sugar 5.7.. that’s a win!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Elaine63. Glad to see that you are joining us for this month’s zoomer challenge thread.

Just wanted to respond here to your comment about forgiveness being a key ingredient to success. Couldn’t agree more. A number of us have commented in the past on how dieters can be very black and white: one slip and the day/week/month or even the way of eating is written off. And that is often combined with feelings of disgust and recrimination. So forgiveness and the readiness to get back on the wagon is definitely the way to go!

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi Elaine63
    Welcome & congratulations on your great achievement & your 1st forum post! 🙂
    I’m pretty new around here too!
    Sounds like you’re very well tuned in to this WOE indeed! 😀
    You must feel so much better!
    Even just after a few months, I’ve noticed many positive changes! 🙂

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi 54andfatnomore
    Yes I too have been writing down & taking photos of every meal.
    These last few days (since my op on sat got cancelled!!) I’ve been restarting to more closely (as possible) follow the diet menu.
    Plus I’ve now more stock of foodstuffs so following is a bit easier. However I am (like today) taking the ingredients as closely as I can even if I haven’t constructed the food the same. (& what ever’s missing is added to a future shoppibg list for consideration!). 🙂
    Had a real desire for cinfort food in sat after the hospital mess, so decided to haul out all the savory favourites like prawns toms egg avocado etc for lunch! 🙂 delicious! A good but late pm ‘brunch’! 🙂

• posted by 63Elaine
    on

Hi Aurora, I do feel a lot better. I have a lot more energy which pleases my husband and kids, very necessary when I have my 2 year old grandson 2 days a week.
    I think there is a balance to be struck with being confident about consuming 800 calories and finding the new and fresh to keep motivated particularly if you’re in for the long haul. So many times before, I’d fall off the wagon having lost a considerable amount of weight and watched the wagon trundle into the distance, not getting back on and just growing bigger unhappier full of shame and guilt and then comforting myself with more food.
    This time I get up clamber on board and go for it again…long may that last…
    I’ve more at stake this time diabetes remission and grandson.
    Elaine.

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi 63Elaine,
    I did the 5:2 about 2yrs ago for a short while, but life got in the way as I plateaued and what started as a ‘pause’ became a ‘give up’. Not least I’d barely lost any weight and I now realise that my interpretation of the principals wasn’t ‘enough’ good eating nor anywhere near enough variety.
    As I’ve been buying ‘all’ this new foodstuffs, I realise just how far I have been from ‘proper balanced’ eating.
    But I’ve never learned nor really ever been taught what is right.
    One reason that I’ve decided to follow the LBS diet more closely is that it’s pretty much teaching me how to prep food & cook. I do know many things, but nothing like enough for a proper heathy diet.
    The motivation to ‘do better’ for me has been the clear weight loss. That’s made me finally, finally feel in control again and finally actually able to ‘do something’ about it. That is brilliant. So the fact that I have lost ‘little weight’ of late, and my desire to lose more (& lower cholesterol) makes me want to get closer to what they suggest.
    So although I’m still buying in stock food (never seems to end! 😉 ) that is beginning to help.
    I added a lime as a recipe suggested to a fish dish (wk1) and it added a really lovely flavour. 🙂
    But no only have I bought in food stock and food storage items too, but also a ‘new-2-me’ (2nd hand), food mixer /processor to help me prep meals more quickly and efficiently! Then I can bulk prep and store in the freezer. This will help. 🙂
    Once I’ve got to my 8st 7lb target then I can look to change meanus and ‘expand the menus’… and introduce some of the fruit that I’ve missed….
    I do find myself really rejecting ‘the dreaded sugar’ items with quite some vigor. Almost like they are an enemy, (they’re not I know), but this is really just my own anger at how overtaken I was by them and so at myself for becomming so suckered. But when you don’t ‘know’ what and how better food makes you feel and help you lose weight, you ‘stay’ in the comfort zone.
    Can I see myself eating sugar things again? Well I wouldn’t say never, but I don’t think I ‘want to’! Now that is for me an incredible change!!!
    But if you’re years down the road and have turned back to former eatin patterns then maybe this does require a total ‘way of eating’.
    I must say I initially was really skeptical but as I lost weight, the all important ‘belief’ takes over and for me the ‘WOE’ starts to take over. I don’t want to return to being sucked into sugar desires and have it control my eating habits. My body doesn’t deserve it.
    I’m reading so much of how this or that can help and especially things like Chia and Psyhillium husk can help to lower cholesterol.
    Why hasn’t my Dr been telling me that ??? Than, “You must take statins” and “No diet can help you reduce cholesterol”!!
    Thank god I have been determined to find one that can help! (Although I must get a kit or get another blood test done!).
    (Sorry for the long post!)

on

Christmas is on the way

Time to start planning !! ??

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi 54andfatnomore,

Ach xmas !
    I’ll just try to ignore it as much as I can I think! No going anywhere, no one’s coming to visit etc etc… so a ‘standard’ day really. I will cook a lamb chop though! 🙂
    I guess dark choc might be nice but I’ve not had any ‘fancies’ for sweets !! Amazing….

Although I have been finding of late that I eat a lot more nuts to help stave off hunger.
    Still barely losing a pound a week! (OMG so annoyingly SLOW) …
    Keeping as close as I possibly can to the diet menus and now weighing almost everything. Trying to store things in portions.
    I do find some of the menus say ‘half a cauli’ … yet other areas it’s 100g or so !
    However I’m trying to eat on the ‘less side’, as much as I can.

Decided that I’ll have an egg & some veg if I’m really hungry…
    I’m often not having 3 meals as I often don’t get hungry… at the ‘time’ so sometimes try to make do …
    Just a whole learning process!
    I photo and write down all I eat – have now been doing this since mid July seriously. But nearly lost 2 stone – feel and look SO much better! 😀

But for me it is SO slow. I’ve no idea how ppl can ‘follow’ this same diet and lose a stone in 4wks!
    My ‘only’ treat is milk in my tea. Yeah that’ll slow things but that much ?

Anyway … plod on…. (For those of you who know… my Op was cancelled in July and now re-organised for 1st Dec – for the following month -8wks I’ll have the worst ‘blocked nose’ & feel groggy) – Another good reason to avoid xmas. Such a party pooper ! Sorry All. ! 🙂

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Not the red tea detox scam again! Why don’t you find something useful to do with your time instead of spamming forums?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Reported the marketing post.

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi 63Elaine,
    Yes it’s a ‘plod on’ lifestyle.
    I am getting on ok.

But….had my cholesterol test back & it’s the same it was a yr ago!!
    I’ve tried SO hard to stick as closely as I can to the menus, so I can be sure for the last 2mths it’s been ‘very close’ !! Just missed out bacon & an orange.
    So I’ll keep going as I am now 2stone lighter ! Yeeeaayy & I do feel in control – which is just brilliant.
    I’ve used psyillum husks, chia seeds & regularly had almonds.. all meant to reduce cholesterol.
    But its failed totally. My reading is the same it was just over a yr ago! Or it went up, and now it’s come down (v possible)???
    Dr I spoke to today, to get my blood test result, was pathetic, useless and demoralising!
    Got appnt next wk to go have a chat withv another Dr, but said that there’s no nutritionalist on nhs or anyone who he can send me too!!?? Really that’s disgraceful!
    I’m guessing I’m going to have to stop whole milk, all creme fraiche & yoghurt perhaps!!??
    Dunno. But I’ll continue for another 2mths & do another test. In case it could have gone up & is now on the way down?
    I know some people on here have said they’ve seen thwir cholesterol reduce on this diet / diet principals. Have you used any of the cholesterol test kits anyone? Are, any of them good please?

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi AutoraMagic
    Cholesterol is now not the problem that it once was thought. What is your breakdown of Total cholesterol, LDL, HDL and triglycerides?

Both total and LDL have been shown to have no correlation to heart disease and having high HDL and low triglycerides is actually good. Read this:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/concerned-cholesterol-low-carb-read

Any questions, just ask.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi LindA
    Thanks. For your reply. 🙂
    Yes I do know that the balance of hdl ldl & TriG’s aren’t as necessarily bad as it was..sadly the test result only shows the Total Cholesterol!
    I’m hoping they have more though!!
    Can’t believe it’s really only the TC!
    I’ll know next wk.
    With family inheritance cholesterol it ‘will’ be higher. But I’ll do more research & see what else I can dig up! 🙂 And definitely read your link! Thank you. 🙂

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

And also I have zero plans to go onto Statins – which is what they desperately want me to go one with zero proof that it’ll do any good at all! (Because it’s family inherited Cholesterol) ..
    Anyway Just had a very breif look at the link and it looks spot on. I’ll enjoy reading that later, thank you LindA! 😀

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Aurora, I too have familial high cholesterol and have been on statins for many years (around 20) with no good effect. I was on 60 mg but doctor here in France reduced to 40mg. Over the past 10 years I have stayed around a total of 6.0. Then I found this diet and went down to 4.1. After some cramping problems doc has reduced to 20mg and I still had cramps so down to 10mg. Guess what, my cholesterol has gone down to 4.0 – just a smidge but surely down to this diet. Like you I am munching away at all the things that are supposed to lower bad and increase good cholesterol so lots of olives, nuts and seeds etc. As a diabetic I wonder if I am better to be on a low dose than none as I am at increased risk of heart disease and stroke. If not for the diabetes I would consider stopping all together and seeing how it goes. I am tested every 3 months anyway because my doctor cannot believe I eat butter and cheese etc and have still reduced my cholesterol.

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi Sunshine_girl,

That really interesting.
    I was 8.3 last Sept & 8.4 two wks ago when test was done.
    I started clearing cupboards in about June.
    Sort of started ‘the diet’ around mid /late July… & been on it since. Only lost 2 stone or fractionally more now.
    So I reckon the TCholesterol mudt have gone up.
    I truly can’t believe it has ‘stayed the same’ all of the last yr as the dr stupidly said… your the same why did we bother to do his test!.
    What an idiot.
    I only had statins fir 4wks many yrs ago but I get really ‘vague’ on them so stopped.
    There’s something like Zalig from Australia which is a statin but works differently that ithers can get in with.
    But i felt if food caused it then food chsnges can solve it. I used to always be below 4.
    It jumped some yrs back … but dieting (rare attempts) didn’t chage it.
    I must be doing something wrong.
    Or just don’t understand this diet.
    I’m missing some proncipal somewhere…
    Or maybe I’ve deprived myself of so many good foods (& stretching funds to too many ‘things’), that I still findvit gard to be generous.
    At the moment every other day I find I’m getting though a handful of nuts !!
    Initially it was just 6 -12 almonds.
    Nit its a nut mix with Almonds & a few walnuts cashews pustacho & hazel.
    & twice the last week i’ve had a teaspoon of saultanas duringvthe day.
    Maybe my body is craving something?
    I am doing something wrong I must be???
    Or as Dr MM says I’m a ‘bad/low’ responder??
    🙁 typical … the hard way -always! 🙁

on

Hi Aurora, I dont know where you live but you need to know all your cholesterol number, HDL, LDL and total. Because mine was only a difference of 0.1 there is not much to look at. It is possible you are the same or maybe your HDL went up a bit, who knows if they are not telling you. I think in the UK you can access your records but I think you live down under. Why do doctors try to make us feel stupid and why are they trying to pedal drugs. It seems like the easy way out for them, they dont have to talk to you, inform you or guide you. That is why sites like this exist, we have to educate ourselves.

You say you are ‘sort of’ on the diet. My advice is to completely stop eating the white carbs, no cheats, no exchanges. You have lost 2 stone so you are doing well. The handful of nuts are not a good idea and you should go back to the 6-12, at least if you count them you know exactly what you have had. Try to find alternatives to just the nuts (by the way, walnuts are the best for cholesterol) and balance all the good foods you can eat as part of your overall diet. Have your good oils (rapeseed and olive oil are great), although I am not happy with the science behind coconut oil so I only use it when I made Asian dishes. Try having a dish of olives as your snack instead of nuts, better for cholesterol and only 3 cals per olive. Google ’11 Foods to Lower Cholesterol’ and you will see you can have some foods that are on this diet, not high in carbs and calories – like aubergine, berries, apples etc. Take a look.

I am on the same journey so hoping my test results will continue now my dose of statins is down to 10mg. In answer to your doctor ‘why am I retesting you when it is the same result’ is ‘because I care about my health and knowledge is power’.

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi Sunshine_girl,
    I’m in UK. 🙂
    The sort of… was because it taken ages to buy in all the ingredients. Still a tad short but last 2mths is really close to every recipe in the diet book.
    But i am hungry.
    Just resorted to 3 cashews 4 walnut pieces & 5 almonds few goji berries & a tiny few raisens + a sml matchbox if Red Leicester cheese.
    I can certain add more olives.
    One thing changing things is my injured /majorily repaired ankle as it heals v slowly I’m pushing to do more physical things.
    So I think my protein balance is shifting.
    I’ll look that up the snack link.
    I’ve git Dr Baileys book too & that has a nut seed date recipe but I’m afraid I’ll eat the lot! 🙁 although I doubt it as I’m being really cobtrolled.
    I’ve not had anything bad fir 3mths.
    I ve had to substitute ‘steak’ fir lamb grill as that’s whats in the freezer! Plus steak is SO crazy expensive.
    Plus I’m not quite able to ‘go shopping’ other than a few light things but even then justifying the public transport cost is too much for 5-6 things!
    It is time to do a shop though so I’ll have to add extra olives. Hope to be driving in a wk or 2. But parking is becomming such an issue (esp with ankle) … so I need to re-arrange my forecourt! Life can be so complex!! 🙁
    I know I’m roughly right… but yes totally agree that U need ALL the blood numbers! Seeing a different doctor Tue!
    Yep absolutely agree we must do all the research ourselves. Always done that & go see doctor for their opinion. Then I eother agree with them or we ‘chat’ about it. 🙂
    I’m also forgetting stuff – prob stress. But nit ideal.
    When you say ‘balance’ the foods.
    Do you mean ‘keep under 800cals’?
    Or balance product? If so ‘how’ do you mean please?
    My only error bar nut snacking (as dr mm said but I’m worried I’m now exceeding his recommendations) .. is when i’ve not got ingredient i’ll add in other veggies or put in a sml mix of veg. Cauli, brocolli, leeks, spinach maybe mushroom / red cabbage / asperagus. Only added peas into rare menu items.
    Barely had much fruit which i miss but had blueberries & apple when recommended.
    I know I’m still ‘learning’ what is ‘basic ‘right” as such. Just so I have some foundation to work from. It’s not too instinctive yet but I’m a lot better than I was when I started.
    Thank you! 😀

on

Yes I mean include cholesterol friendly foods into the 800 plan. Some are difficult because they are high in cals like the nuts and oils and avocado. I have one portion of oats per week as a breakfast, half an avocado twice a week for lunch, olives and a few nuts for snacks, seeds on yoghurt for breakfast. The list of veg you give is great but do I get the impression you dont eat that much. Use cauliflower instead of rice, courgette ribbons instead of spaghetti or pasta, aubergine slices (slightly cooked) in place of pasta in a lasagne. Dont make the nuts and seed flapjack type snacks, and cut out the dried fruits. Little by little you will get there.

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi Sunshine_girl,
    Only carby things are lentils, about 8 times now, quinoia twice & bulgar wheat once.
    No rice pasta or anything. Gave my lodgers my white rice & pasta I’d bought in May just before I’d got into this!

I’m slightly physically smaller…
    I think I lost more weight when i was ‘just’ doing lunch salads. But i’d got bired with my foods so did like the thought of change.
    I had a lemon mint thingvthe other day that tasted really nice but sounded odd.
    I m strugglibgvto get my herbs to grow properly bar mint which it outside & gone ‘nuts’ (grwon a lot)!. 🙂
    Ach the ‘nutseed-jack’ was what I was thinking if making but worried I’d eat it all.
    I think I just need to get my head reminded this is a diet! & I still must try harder (eat less) & not snack. I didn’t used to snack but i often ‘could have’ a yoghurt after dinner.
    I think I’m missing that.
    I can hear myself justify the nuts as healthy but it’s weight I must lose.
    It is tough… maybe cos its been going on SO long & it gets boring.
    I’ve photographed every meal bar i think 2 lunches & some boiled eggs. I do a food diary/weight note book too.
    I try to have another cup of tea. Water is too cold & ‘boring’ … I mightvtry some ‘tea infusions’ with water but so far I’ve never found green teas nice even mint! 🙁
    I do have cauli but nit as ‘rice ‘.
    I’ve a spiralise but courgette was too old to try it & had gone floppy! Hahaha!
    Need to buy more food though.
    Got little freezer & fridge space which is annoying so looking to change this.
    Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.
    🙂 😀
    Got no where else to turn to but here.
    Dr MM ignores these pages which I think is pretty poor! But hey I guess we’re merely just ‘people’ trying hard to get it right.
    See Dr tomorrow but hold out little hope of anything useful…. but I’ll try to get help. Sad thing is they’re cutting back on many things! 🙁
    Yet it’ll save them a heap of money if they help me! 🙂

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi Sunshine_girl,

Well I went to the Dr and she was concerned about the Cholesterol numbers, but we decided that if she sends me to the cardio specialists they ought to have the latest data. And then we can discuss the Zelig drug as a vague possibility. But also they have a whole collection of futher specialists including dieticians too. 🙂
    Plus she’s sending me to the surgery’s dietician as the other will take many months to get those meetings.
    Yes they really had only done the total cholesterol! She was very surprised as am I of course. How stupid.
    Anyway I’m now 62kg (dressed & after a cup of tea) but still another stone +3lb to lose.
    So going to just concentrate on that for now. I bought from fresh courgettes and got home and tried my spiraliser for the first time! 😀 First one was a mess but got there and got it going OK. 🙂 I tried slicing some leeks but then the food processor decided to not work so had to take it apart and figure out what was going on! I got it going thankfully! 😀
    So that’s all a little encouraging. Forgot to buy more olives ! Ooops!

on

Hello

Is anyone out there still plugging away ?

Would be good to get a catch Up

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi 54, I’m mortified at my state of affairs. Absolutely back where I started and half a kilo worse. I could reel off a list of excuses but none of them are good enough. Started plugging away again two days ago. Not sure I’ll make good company for you, though. How are you doing?

on

Hi Snoop

Dont get down keep pluggin away

i had a big band wagon fall off last year retuning some on the Kilos that were taken off and have had a ‘bad spell’ recenly due to a stupid ongoing illness where i had to ‘up’ my calarie intake for medical reasons !!

So yes, in need of some focus myself

Started on the 800 cal 8 week diet book routine on Monday just gone (Rather than creating my own ‘meals’) and heading out for my first 2019 swim this evening (now my back has repaired itself at last !!)

so VERY happy to tag along !!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Brilliant, 54. I’ve been feeling quite miserable recently. Would really like the company.

OK. Onwards and downwards and, bloke51 if you’re still out there, never bloody giving up.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Sorry, bloke41.

on

ok I’m in !!

I promise to at least post something of use/interest/relevance/ etc etc at least once a day here !!

• posted by Snoop
    on

I live a very secluded life, so I’m not sure I’ll have much of interest to post but I’ll do my best. Catch you later, 54.

on

no worries

Even if we post something about the weather, or pets or gardens or ‘how dull leafy greens are’ I’m sure well find something to take our minds off alcohol, cake and tastey bread !!

on

Alas, this does mean i’m going to have to get back on the scales !

• posted by Snoop
    on

I got mine out from their hiding place under the bed this morning. Sadly, 100 g up from yesterday. Bread is my downfall. We have a woodburning oven and I usually bake bread (and pizza) at this time of year… Going to have to knock that on the head. OH is out and about this morning. One of his missions is to buy a cabbage and a cauli to fill me up with veggies instead.

on

Bread (tell me about it!!)

My big downfall is bread

I can start and then eat th ewhole loaf !!

I have had to train myself to eat a bit ,, then throw the rest out for the birds (Seriously !!)

(Must just STOP eating bread and take breadmaker to charity shop etc)

(20p a loaf at the end of the day at the coop doesnt help !!)

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Yep, same in Asda! My downfall too. The only thing that trips me up after 18 months. I order groceries online, click and collect. It’s the only way! Sorry for jumping in – nice to see you both back and posting!
    Kazz

Please log in or register to post a reply.