Started 17/7/17

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Theamazingshrinkingwoman
    on

3rd day done and all going well. An very hungry right now but have gone to bed ridiculously early to get away from food. Already feeling thinner!

Is there a diary section on this forum or shall I just waffle on here? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

It is pretty much all diary section if you don’t mind others occasionally butting in ๐Ÿ˜ There are several group threads where people who start at the same time gather to share their experiences, there are challenge threads for those who have been doing it longer and want to change things up or focus on different areas, and of course there are the victory threads, like Target weight, 100 club and the mini-goals threads for non scale as well as scale victories. If you use the search box at the top you can jump into any that appeal to you, and by all means keep your diary here, and if you have any questions just ask them, and someone will usually be able to help.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Theamazingshrinkingwoman – welcome! As you probably gather, if you have read any of the threads on the forum, you probably realize that we like to waffle on here, both to help inspire others and ourselves. It’s a safe place to vent when things are going badly and to celebrate even the smallest success and we like to provide encouragement and support wherever we can.

So feel free to join any of the threads that appeal to you. If you want to search for a particular topic, use the search box at the top of the page, as lots of topics have been covered. If you can’t find something in particular, shout out though, as someone will respond for sure.

Hope you will soon be posting positive results. Keep up the good work and best of luck on your quest.

on

Thank you! Seems like a friendly forum.

So my reason for doing this is – overweight apple shape with family history of diabetes!

First three days have been relatively easy but I’ve got this far before. I’ve tried to prepare as much as possible this time with lots of research and planning.

I’m using MFP to track calories and trying to focus on eating delicious stuff.

Starting weight 15 stone 2 pounds (I’m 5’4″). I’ve lost a stone over the last 10 months (mainly due to giving up added sugar for 6 weeks). I’ve basically yoyoed since the age of 13 though.

on

Oh yeah and I weighed myself today and have lost 4lb already! I know it’s water weight etc but yay!

on

Another pound off. Will start weighing myself every 2-3 days after the first week I think!

Just had an emergency – my supper from the freezer was microwaving so I could eat before we went out but the microwave stopped working! Had to whip something up double quick but it is delicious and was fewer calories. Result.

on

Struggled today – I work in a school and came home with four large bags of presents from the lovely kids. Most of them food or alcohol based. I had two squares of dark chocolate as thought that would be better than an entire box of heroes. As a result I am 60 calories over today. I should have had none though.

I can feel that I am making a choice and I think in the past I would have chosen to binge. I am so scared this won’t work and I will eat myself to death.

I am weepy and hormonal today though!

I just can’t imagine myself managing this or treating myself well enough to allow myself to lose weight.

Bit rambling but hopefully makes sense.

• posted by Amethyst
    on

Hi, this is my very first post on here (or on any forum for that matter!) but I often read the posts and find them incredibly valuable. Your comment about gifts from children resonated with me as I am also a teacher who has struggled with weight. One thing that gets me through the staff room temptations and generous edible gifts is that I tell myself that they are not foods I have chosen for myself to eat. This sometimes helps… but not all the time! I then try and regift everything as soon as I can. Good luck on your journey.

on

I agree about regifting – gave one box of chocs to the kitchen staff and one to the office staff yesterday! They were very appreciative. My sons are currently ‘helpfully’ eating my chocolate biscuits for me. I think working in education has to be one of the hardest jobs for dieting. Our staff room is constantly stuffed with ‘treats’ and lunch breaks are so short you have to be really organised. Still, six weeks off now!

I’ve just gone back through my MFP diary for the week as realised I had forgotten to add a couple of things. I have now been 100% accurate although it’s not a comfortable feeling. 5 cals here and there really add up. It was mostly milk for tea etc. So turns out I have gone over 800 every day but have lost 5lb and it is my time of the month so doubly amazed!

Trying to plan tomorrow very carefully as we are out for a birthday lunch – luckily I was feeling strong when we had to do our menu choices. I’m having grilled fish and undressed salad, no fries and no sauce. Hopefully no-one will notice. I’m going for a ‘never explain, never apologise’ strategy. I shall smile and say ‘I’m fine thank you’ to all queries ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m baking the enormous, chocolate birthday cake in the morning so have planned a slightly treaty breakfast of Greek yoghurt, strawberries, sliced apple and a drizzle of honey. Hopefully I won’t then lick the bowl! Was hoping my sister would ask for coffee cake as I hate it ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think my day was mostly a struggle because I weighed this morning and had stayed the same. It then became a mental battle. And ffs 5lb in 5 days is LOADS. Having fat has made me lose all perspective.

• posted by Pancita
    on

Hello Amazing
    I hope you won’t mind me butting in.
    It sounds like you’re doing well, congratulations on your loss so far – but your last comment concerns me a tad. Fat is not your enemy here. If you don’t have fat or carbohydrate, you’ll have no energy. Avoid simple carbohydrates, but have a nice oily dressing on your salad and a bit of cream sauce on your fish, and enjoy them. They’re good for you.
    Keep going and enjoy your long holiday!

on

Don’t panic! I meant being fat. I refer to it as having fat now because I am not it and it’s not me! It’s a temporary thing I have. Thank you for your kind comment though.

Another pound off. Now 14 stone 10. Will be great to get below that 10lb mark as it feels like a significant move towards the next stone.

Today is going to be tough but I feel well prepared and determined.

on

Chuffed to bits with myself! Made the cake, went out for lunch, handed out the cake and stuck to plan completely!

The salad was delicious but the fish fillets were absolutely tiny. I had accounted for 200g just in case but I reckon they were less than 100g. So i had a tiny spoonful of mayo with it. Yum.

The waitress looked at me when she handed me my plate and asked if I was sure it was enough. I just smiled and said ‘it looks lovely thank you’ and nobody else said a word. Except my Dad who took me to one side later and said I was looking slimmer already and glowing (love that man).

I didn’t have my breakfast until 11.45 so I wasn’t ravenous when we arrived and I took a bag of emergency almonds for when the others were eating cake. Planning is key! So proud of myself and starting to believe in myself a bit…

on

Have offered to make lunch for a friend tomorrow so have planned a salad with hot chicken and bacon lardons on top. Can’t wait! Might try to squeeze a few parmesan shavings on it too. Friend is planning to start BSD800 on Monday so I’m hoping to give her a good example of how delicious it can be.

Waffling here is really helping me keep my focus so am going to keep doing it!

• posted by Theodora
    on

well done, amazing – the way you are going you will be shrinking before you know it.

What a lovely man your father sounds.

on

Another pound off this morning which makes 1/2 a stone so far in week one. Masses of energy and skin looks amazing! Love this!!!

I am writing this down so I remember the feeling…

• posted by Theodora
    on

Amazing, you won’t need to “remember” the feeling – if you stick with it, you will feel amazing forever. I am almost 3 months into maintenance and I still look in the mirror every day and do a twirl, I feel so good and cannot believe I have dropped from a size 16 to a size 8(uk) and am so full of energy.

This morning I walked (scrambled) up a long, really steep rocky slope with a friend who is 18 years younger than me, and quite fit (she is a gig rower) and who was the one who had to keep stopping and was breathing like a steam train by the time we got to the top? Let’s just say it wasn’t me……………………๐Ÿ˜œ

on

Well done! That’s such an achievement. I love hearing people’s success stories, it’s so inspiring.

on

Oh my god lunch was fab (big fat show off alert). I did chicken and green beans on a big plate of salad. Chicken was marinated in olive oil, soy sauce, ginger, sesame seeds and honey. Came in at 271 calories. Will definitely be saving that recipe.

on

Started eating my supper and didn’t fancy it at all. So didn’t eat it and had something else that I actually enjoyed instead. Bit of a revelation that.

on

So meals this week have been as follows:

Mon – 864
    B – oats and milk, orange
    L – tuna mayo salad, banana
    S – chicken, bacon & butterbean stew

Tue – 885
    B – orange
    L – tuna mayo salad
    S – chicken, bacon & butterbean stew

Wed – 756
    B – apple
    L – chicken
    S – saus casserole, brown rice & quinoa

Thu – 840
    B – banana
    L – tuna salad
    S – bacon, mushroom, brown rice and quinoa risotto

Fri – 946
    B – banana, apple
    L – tuna salad, hard boiled egg, 2 squares dark choc
    S – smoky bbq chicken slimming world ready meal

Sat – 800
    B – Greek yoghurt and apple
    L – John dory fillets and salad
    S – beef and onion stew slimming world ready meal

Sun – 776
    B – Greek yoghurt and apple
    L – chicken salad
    S – ham, cheese and 12 grapes

Snacks have been almonds and hot blackcurrant squash (sugar free) in the evening if I’m craving food.

I have averaged 838 cals a day.

And yes I unashamedly have the occasional small banana when I need it. I have now reached the point where I do not feel hungry between meals and have heaps of energy. But I feel so much better than when I reached this point doing CWP. I’m not feeling the cold in the same way, I don’t have any nausea and I’ve managed to avoid headaches.

Test of will tonight – off to the pub for a quiz. Luckily my team are all lovely supportive people so should make it easier. And I feel so good I have no desire to go off plan – exactly as Theodora said!

• posted by Animalmad
    on

Hi, I liked your daily menu, very useful. Can I just ask , the oats and milk was this porridge ? I’m not a massive egg fan and am looking for alternative but filling breakfasts.

on

No I actually just had it cold together. Eggs don’t work for me for breakfast either – I do best with full fat yoghurt and a little fruit. Seems to keep me full longer. I’m hoping to post my menu every Sunday night. Bit scared about the next week – two picnics and a 2 night camping trip. I’ve started planning on MFP already!

• posted by Animalmad
    on

Ok thanks, suppose if I added some nuts it may feel like muesli !! There is a banana pancake recipe on the recipe section, a mashed banana and 2 eggs made into a pancake. I may give that a go.
    I’ve just read the book and cut out as many carbs as I can. Not strictly counting calories yet but being very careful.
    I agree with the lengthy fast, I usually try to do 14 hours.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

You could do “overnight” oats – which I make early morning to eat at lunchtime – but you could do just before bed.

13g oats, milk (or as I do Greek yoghurt) and then whatever you like. I use a few grams of chia seeds, 80g frozen berries, sprinkle of cinnamon, about 1/2 a grated apple and occasionally a couple of chopped nuts. It is a bit carby but as I don’t eat breakfast, or snack and have this for lunch it’s not too bad.

• posted by Animalmad
    on

Thanks for that I will try it.

on

Sounds yum! I am posting from the pub where I have had two sparkling waters and a compliment.

on

Have weighed in this morning. Am going to try to weigh few days now as I am scared my mood will depend on a loss. I know to expect a plateau at some point and am trying to mentally prepare myself!

So week one – 8lbs!!!!!!

Thrilled to bits. And I feel fantastic!

on

No change on the scales this morning but noticed I didn’t get quite as wedged into the bath as usual! Still feeling really good.

Today’s test was a picnic at a NT place. I took a ham and egg salad and a tangerine. I was full and satisfied and my friend was jealous of my lovely lunch. Lots of water and lots of walking. I was definitely less puffed on the hills than normal (it’s an extremely hilly place).

Nothing too difficult tomorrow – walk in the woods as it’s going to be raining and I’ve got my friend’s little boys for the day. We’ll be back here for lunch and luckily the woods have no sweet shops or icecream vans so no temptation…

Camping is going to be really difficult but I am part way through formulating a plan!

on

Narrowly avoided a binge. I hope. Had a square of dark choc which means I am over my calories but think it stopped me eating all the things. Took me by surprise as thought i was doing fine today.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Well done, in remaining in control in the face of a craving like that you are building good habits for the future. Don’t worry about going over carbs if necessary, just keep what you eat on plan, or try drinking a glass of water. Distraction sometimes helps as well.

on

Thank you for posting. I think I now know what caused it and how to avoid it next time. I’m having a super early night and watching trashy tv to distract myself!

I haven’t really been counting carbs just avoiding the crap ones. Maybe I should move towards that.

on

Woken up to a negative feeling. I know that it’s just a passing thing (or at least I hope it is). Had my breakfast at 9am and think I might regret that. It’s the earliest I’ve eaten since starting.

It’s all about the mental game today. I can feel that little bit of my brain that persuades me to eat doing its best to be heard. So I hear you, I acknowledge you but I’m worth more than that. I deserve to be healthy. I am not going to die prematurely just because you won’t shut up. I’m going to go for a long walk in damp woods with my gorgeous children. So there.

on

I am desperately ‘hungry’. I know it’s not hunger but cravings and head stuff. I just want to go to bed now and not get up until tomorrow. I weighed this morning and no change. Partially due to only counting in whole pounds I think. I knew I should stop weighing. It’s so demoralising. Maybe I will have a woosh?

I couldn’t face salad today so had ham/cheese/apple/almonds for lunch. It was lovely but I’m fighting the urge to have a square of chocolate. Might take the kids for another walk instead! I have the other half of yesterday’s supper for tonight and it was delicious and filling so maybe that will sort me out.

on

Have a huge headache now so have taken painkillers and curled up on the sofa with hot blackcurrant and a colouring book. Maybe I’m coming down with something or maybe it’s a delayed carb flu. Either way I feel yucky and tense and horrible.

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Amazing – (because you are!). Our brains are awful making us do things we don’t want to. I find it easier just to give in and let the brain think it’s won. A little list of emergencies like this goes a long way and I don’t go off the rails because I allow it. My emergency list includes – 30 grams cheddar cheese or similar, 1 teaspoon peanut butter, 1 square dark chocolate, 1 werther’s original or mint (I know! but it really goes a long way when that sweet urge strikes for very little damage) – Aldi do some lovely flavours dark choc cheap, 10 almonds or anything else you can come up with – I have this in addition to my allowed daily calories and it really helps. Soon, your head hunger will lessen and you won’t often need these little supports. I promise!

I have a salad/protein for lunch most days, but I know what you mean,it can get a bit tedious. Sometimes I have a green smoothie – heres my go to – spinach leaves,10 almonds,handful bluberries(or any other berry), some grated ginger, some mint leaves (optional but nice), 1 scoop protein powder – that’s base . Sometimes add half a banana or a few pieces of other fruit just to sweeten up a little. Keeps you full for ages and takes ages to drink. The recipe for broccoli bread on the recipe section is brilliant. I made a batch a couple days ago and cut into 16 pieces and froze them. I had one piece yesterday toasted in toaster, with a FRIED egg – quick easy and filling. In fact , if you feel you are spending too much time in the kitchen – just batch cook and freeze your proteins – while they are defrosting , easy to organize veggies. Quick and easy – I am no domestic goddess – in and out the kitchen as quck as possible ๐Ÿ˜€

I weigh daily – but I do not take gains seriously – it means either a bit too many carbs or a little too much salt- it defo is not weight (3,500 calories to gain a pound – and you have not had that) – it will go. Not weighing daily made me take my eye off the wall.

Don’t know if you would be interested in popping in to ‘Weekly weigh in and target for the week’ thread. We are a small group who are similar weight to you and very supportive to each other. We also are taking it a little slower with 1000 calories because it really makes a bit easier. There’s always time to go to 800 cals when the weight loss stops as it definitely will at some point – then you will have room to move on. If you arealready doing 800 cals there is nowhere to go.

I apologize for butting in – I only want the best for you. I am no expert and I still have a long way to go – if you are interested, my back story is on my profile, will let you see how I struggle. But voicing my thoughts helps me to keep on track and I really hope it helps you too. Stick in there Amazing – it will happen. Would love to see you over at the other thread. Keep going! I hope this helps. P.S. If you feel like going to bed, just go to bed – be kind to yourself, babe! We are all total babes – and I challenge anybody to disagree!!!!

Stilldumptybut trying!

on

Thank you so much for your lovely post. You are right in so many ways! I like the idea of an emergency extra. I’m just scared that if I have extra it will make me keep on having extra for the rest of the day. It did occur to me that I don’t need to have what I planned for supper – just because I put it in MFP doesn’t mean I have to eat it. Maybe today I need to do something different!

Thank you again. Your post really has made a difference to my day.

on

I have had three squares of dark chocolate and ditched my plan for supper. Feeling weirdly full and satisfied after the choc so may just have some nuts and cheese. It feels so much better to just count it and move on than to feel guilty and worry about it.

I have 132 calories left today so will have a little ponder about what to have. I’m prepared to have the odd emergency day where I go up to 1000 so I don’t lose control entirely. I’m sure I would still lose weight like that. I think it would be a bad idea today though.

No more chocolate left in the house now so will write a list of sensible permitted emergency snacks and stick it to the inside of the kitchen cupboard. Weirdly I wasn’t tempted by the Heroes and chocolate bicuits at all which is good. I really wanted to eat an entire loaf of toast though!

I’m going to have a browse through the recipes and do some baking tomorrow – starting with the courgette bread!

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Amazing – disaster averted! Onwards and upwards! It’s finding what works for you and listening to what your body and brain wants and giving it that but within designated limits. I’ll be honest – I don’t always stick to my preplanned meals because I just don’t feel like it. In that case, I just have a BSD friendly meal that I do want.
    Another thing I find useful is this . When I feel like I’m heading up the wrong road and I know once I start I will never stop, I start writing. Before I start eating. Reminding myself why I am doing this what I want from life, how much my health means to me, how bad I feel when I am in a sugar coma, why do I want sabotage myself – because this time will be like any other time. And each time I fall off the wagon, it’s all the more difficult to pick myself up. Before I restarted 1st July, I had reached rock bottom. I just couldn’t see a future for myself. Happily, I am in a better place at the moment. I know only too well how that might change – I just take one day a time and forgive myself for slip ups Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. We are all different , different things work for different people. It’s finding out what works for us through trial and error. If it doesn’t work, we get up, walk on and keep trying till we do. Over time , it definitely gets easier.

Good luck Amazing – you will do it – I know you will.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

If you still have your headache take a pain killer. Also you might be down on salt so a salty drink (my go to is Marmite) or a bullion cube, miso paste or similar may also help. As its hot it feels a bit like having soup and can be quite comforting. Hope you’re feeling better soon.

on

I feel so much better, thank you. Had oat cakes, cheese, apple and almonds for supper. It was exactly what I fancied and I don’t feel any hungrier than any other day at this time.

I have been at rock bottom so many times. I just think that anything I do must be better than nothing.

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Brilliant, amazing(pun intended), wonderful, you got this! Let’s all lean on each other! Because I know I will need you soon – history shows this to be true!

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Morning Amazing – hope you have a good day – I’m off to work so I will touch base tonight.

on

Thank you, Dumpty.

Another pound off today. Haven’t eaten anything so far and feeling fine – had a nice lie in which seems to be what I needed. Mental clarity and lots of energy today!

If I lose another 3lb then I will be at a round (geddit?!) 200lb.

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Nice one Amazing – a nice ’round’ 14-7 to go with the nice ’round’ 200pounds ๐Ÿ˜€ Who could ask for anything more! Well – a slippery slide to target would be nice. ๐Ÿ˜€ Hope today was better than yesterday for you. First half of your day sounds good anyway. Me- had a dose of the munchies after work – stress does that to me. Saw grapes lying there- thought 67 cals for 100g was a good deal, coupled with 20g peanut butter. Not enough protein and the hunger just hit me and wanted to go to sleep I was so tired. Ended up having an early evening just to stop the hunger and ‘I want to eat NOW’ feeling. I haven’ tgone over 1000 cals but far too many carbs today. Water weight gain pending on the scales tomorrow! Ah well. You win some, you lose some. Tomorrow is a new day, clean slate to try and avoid mistakes.

Good luck for tomorrow Amazing. BTW Have you a target weight in mind? I’m aiming for 9-6 – that’ll get me to BMI 25. I would love to be 8-7 but the last time I was that I was 13 years old – and I’m coming up for 59 now -so I don’t think that’s going to happen.

Anyhoo – good luck for tomorrow!

on

Hi Dumpty! Not sure about a target at the moment. I’m 5’4″ (on a good day) and I don’t think I’ve weighed less than 10 stone since I was 10! I’m 42 now. The lowest I have been as an adult was 11 stone 3 when I did CWP a few years ago. It lasted about 2 months. I would like to get below 11 stone but I would be happy with anything below 12. I would be bloody ecstatic to be under 10!

It’s been a good day. Lazy morning followed by housework afternoon. Much easier not to eat when you’re folding 78 tonnes of washing.

I went to the cinema this evening which would normally be really tricky for me as I LOVE popcorn but I just had some water.

Experimented with having a big lunch and smaller supper today. Seems to have worked ok. I’m really trying not to worry about carbs (the good ones, anyway!) as eating 800 cals seems enough to be getting on with.

I find grapes make me extremely hungry (mostly for more grapes though). Clementines are good value for the calories. I have avoided peanut butter so far as I rather love it…

Stress is such a big part of why I eat. I had some excellent therapy last September – February and I am much better at dealing with it now. I spent that time really imoroving my mind so that I would be prepared for improving my body.

Tomorrow we go camping for two nights so I may disappear for a bit. I’ve planned out my food and feel quite positive. Except about the weather!

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Amazing – that sounds a good day you had. And no more grapes for me – had to go to bed early! Lucky you , going camping. Hope the weather holds up for you. You may already have left by now – have a nice relaxing time, anyway!
    BTW- bad news – i have shrunk to 4ft 11 inches – that means I need to get to 9stones 3 pounds for BMI 25 – Aaaaaah!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Grapes might as well be cotton candy they’re so high in sugar. That’s probably why they make you so hungry, Amazing. They trigger that insulin spike and the food cravings inevitably ensue.

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Esnecca – I know you’re observation was not for me but I shall take on board what you are saying. It’s not that I’m particularly gagging for grapes, they were just in my vision line and thought they might make a nice change. Never again!
    BTW – I read somewhere that you have lost 150pounds -so many congratulations to you – that is so fantastic! Something I can only dream about right now. You are an inspiration! I would have said earlier but I didn’t like to elbow my way in.

Please log in or register to post a reply.