Staring today

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lilly
    on

I’m a newbie here and am starting the BSD 8×800 today. I watched Michael Mosley on TV (in Australia) a couple of weeks ago and ordered the books the following day. I read the Blood Sugar Diet yesterday and decided that today was as good a day as any to begin this journey to better health.
    I don’t have type 2 diabetes but at 155cm tall and over 80kgs I think I can safely say I am overweight and am in need of a better way of eating. I exercise, for fitness not for weight loss, but still don’t feel quite right so today’s the day!

So, I would appreciate any help/advice/tips to help me stick to this and return to the “old me”

• posted by Celsa
    on

You’ll do great! Really, this way of eating keeps you feeling full, so you don’t feel like heading back to the fridge/cupboard all the time. And once you lose your sweet tooth after a week or two it gets even easier to avoid the old “treats”.
    I am a few cms taller than you, and back in October last year I was 76kgs. By the time I started the diet at the end of January I was 71.5. So, I didn’t even do the 800 cal version, I just started eating a low carb med-style diet, and in six weeks I’m down to 65kgs! So even the slow way is faster than any way I’ve ever lost weight before. And I never feel deprived or hungry. Good luck!

• posted by Lilly
    on

Thanks so much Celsa. Good to hear!
    I think part of my problem has been portion sizes rather than a sweet tooth. I don’t buy sweet fizzy drinks or biscuits and we don’t eat takeaway or junk food, in fact our diet is relatively healthy. I do think it’s the “bad” carbs like bread and potatoes and portion sizes that have been my downfall.
    Here’s hoping there’ll be a new, healthier me by the end of May

• posted by Celsa
    on

Oh yeah, portion sizes are important. Mine were already reasonable, so my weight loss is genuinely down to the low carbs. One tip – use psychology to your advantage. Using smaller plates and bowls makes you think you’ve eaten more, because it makes your food look bigger. I have a dinner plate from the 70s that I love because it’s a size midway between a side plate and a modern dinner plate (dinner plates are soooooo much bigger than they used to be!). I use that silly plate all the time. I generally put my morning omelette and accompaniments on a side plate, and if I have yoghurt and blueberries in the morning I use one of my toddler son’s plastic bowls!

• posted by Lilly
    on

Great advice!! Thanks so much

• posted by JoJo99
    on

Hi Lilly, I’m starting today too. Also in Australia and saw the SBS programme two weeks ago. Ordered the book online straight after the programme, and have finished reading this morning. Tried two recipes over the weekend, they were fantastic, and already started feeling “cleaner” and my ankles are reappearing. Good luck with your journey.

• posted by Lilly
    on

Thanks so much JoJo99-I’ll be really interested to know how you go and what recipes you find useful.
    Good luck with your journey too!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.