Standing with work – its not steps but….

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Avila
    on

In work I can be standing for long stretches – some fidgeting on the spot but not steps, yet on those days, I feel less up for extra walking due to tired legs. (the dog walk gets me about 7k steps regardless).

Standing must be more energy demanding than sitting but is it enough to make up for the steps not made?

• posted by Wilma Flintstone
    on

I can sympathise I work in retail and spend most of the day standing. I figure on those days I’m at least not sitting down all day so i’m doing something good and don’t worry about the steps. I like to do something simple when i get home like yoga just because my legs get a bit crampy after standing for 10 hours. I don’t know if standing is enough to make up for the steps but if you are managing 7k plus standing then you should be alright. 🙂

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

My sympathies too, Avila – I work in a shop and am on my feet a lot of the time. I seem to remember something on the TV (maybe on the Trust Me I’m a Doctor prog, or something similar) there was an item on people working while standing vs people who sit at desks – I think it showed that standing (at least for some time each hour) was better….
    Like you, my problem is that I go home feeling tired and I tend to slob (certainly on Sundays – well, it’s supposed to be a day of rest) but I can clock up a lot of steps just by being at work. Yes, sometimes it is difficult to force yourself into extra walks. You have a dog – I have a plot at the allotment (15 mins walk away). Just do whatever you feel you are able to do. If you are able to sneak in any kind of extra movement while you are standing, I think it all counts!

Please log in or register to post a reply.