Spices and jazzing up meats and other dishes.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi guys chatterbox Birdy here again with a new thread idea. Again I hope you don’t mind ladies but what I thought would be great is if and when you had time you could share how you make your spice mixes. Sunny-b, Allie and Essie you all come across as well rounded start from scratch cooks and your recipe ideas leave my mouth watering. I love my spice draw and it is full of quite a few spices but I would love to be more adventurous with them. Although my O//H I s limited in the veggie department he does love herb and spices and my son is just starting to appreciate spiced food. He loves a good curry.

I have been known to buy the pre packed spice mixes but they do put a lot of salts in either onion, garlic, celery and normal salt so it would be to know that I am not overloading my family on bad salt. Thank you and just an idea and no worries if you are not happy about the idea. 💞🦜

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Don’t get me started on spices. HA! TOO LATE! 😆

First and foremost, get to know your salts. I have six different kinds in my pantry right now — Maldon flakes, smoked Maldon, applewood smoked coarse, Celtic sea salt and kelp salt. Maldons are finishing salts. The flaked texture lends crunch and bursts of flavor. When I’m fasting, I eat a pinch of Maldon a few times a day and I swear it’s like eating chips only without the ruinous root veg. I keep the applewood smoked in a grinder and use it primarily in salads with smoked fish. The smoke flavor is extremely strong, much stronger than with the Maldon, which enhances the smokiness of the fish. The Celtic sea salt is a great default table salt (also in a grinder) and is all I use for ferments. Kelp salt is salt mixed with dried seaweed which makes it naturally high in iodine. I use an 1/8th of a teaspoon of it a day in something (anything, really) for the micronutrient value of it.

I no longer keep Himalayan in the house as I find it too mild, bland even, which is a weird thing for a salt to be. It has a nice enough mineral taste to it, like a rock after the rain, but Gerolsteiner water is better on that score. If I’m going to pay for fancy salt, that badboy better be salty.

Now for spice combinations. I have several favorites. I don’t pre-combine them. I mix them together when it comes time to use them.

Deviled egg mix: smoked paprika, dry mustard, garlic powder, green onion powder, salt, black pepper
    Taco mix: chipotle chili powder, cumin, cayenne, ground coriander, oregano, garlic powder, salt, black pepper
    Greek mix: oregano, garlic powder, salt, lemon zest
    Dolmas/kebabs mix: ground ginger, turmeric, cayenne, garlic, mint, parsley
    Indian mix: garam masala, turmeric, cumin, curry powder, garlic powder, a tiny pinch of cardamom

One of the easiest things in the world to make is taco chicken. Put a pound of chicken (I use a pack of thighs because dark meat is better than white) in a slow cooker or in a dutch oven at low heat. Dump in two cups of chicken broth and two heaping tablespoons of taco spice. Cook for 2 hours. Shred the chicken with two forks. If it doesn’t fall apart easily, cook until it does. Take off the heat and let the shredded chicken soak up the spiced juices for an hour. The end. Use the chicken as a topping for a taco salad (without the chips, of course) or in a lettuce wrap topped with shredded sharp cheddar, a slice of avocado and a smattering of chopped green onion.

It’s a great trick for making an easy dinner for guests who don’t eat low carb. Use it as a centerpiece for a taco buffet. Chicken, shredded Romaine hearts lightly dressed in sour cream, salsa and lemon juice, avocado slices (or a quick guacamole coarsely mashed with the white part of the green onion, lime juice, garlic and hot sauce), black soy beans sprinkled with the taco spice, green onions, sliced jalapenos, shredded hard cheese, sour cream and salsa. Set out taco shells or tortillas for the carb eaters to stuff while you eat it as a salad. It’s a crowd-pleaser and you won’t be yearning for the annoyingly messy taco shells/tortillas while you’re eating all the same flavors happily with your fork.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Wow fab start thank you Essie. I have always used Maldon since I used to watch the Naked Chief! I also love to dip and eat it at times. When I have my very small(5) nuts I add a few flakes and yum yum. I don’t like smoked salt, then I don’t like smoked fish either as it is to fishy for me.🤣 thanks again for starting us off it sounds great what you have suggested. 💞🦜

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I used to feel the same way, Birdy. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if you found yourself craving smoked flavors a few months down the line. 😉

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Cool I look forward to that. My salted chocolate is in the freezer, it only took 5 mins to mealt and I made my little tinfoil tray like you suggested too. 😋

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Try Ras El Hanout (Moroccan) or Shawarma (Middle Eastern/Arabic). These blends vary a lot, but you can find recipes for the basic blends online – mine always end up with a few additions and are never the same twice. The Ras El Hanout is great for tagines and the shawarma as a rub for grilled or roast meats.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

I made my own Shawarma a few months ago put it a kilner jar and forgot about it and never used it. I have just been shopping and cheated and bought Ras El Hanout just try it. If I like it then I will mix it myself next time. My son bought me a new slow cooker for mother’s day as I needed a new one. How long do you leave the lamb in for please and on high, med, or low. I am thinking it will be a good one to prep and leave when I go to bed when on nights.🦜💞

• posted by alliecat
    on

Ras El Hanout is one of my favorites too! I like garam masala also, and even add it to black soybean and turkey chili.
    Toasting the whole spices, then grinding them in a spare coffee bean grinder yields the best blend, and can be kept
    in the freezer for a long period of time to ensure freshness. Really works well in a yogurt marinade for grilled chicken,
    too. Back later, with more to share! Great idea for a thread, Birdy 🙂 Also knew that Essie couldn’t resist!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Allie what are like 🤣🤣

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m sorry, Birdy! I don’t understand your post. Translation, please ? 🙂 ?

• posted by Birdy76
    on

It should have said Aliie what are you like🤣🤣. As in funny and you make me laugh. I think it might be an English saying sorry. It is because you are quick witted. You can’t be sarcastic as that is very British 😉😉. Hope that clears it up hun. It wasn’t anything bad. 💞🦜

• posted by wendleg
    on

Allie I think I know what Birdy means !
    She is so enthusiastic I think it bubbles over into her typing and the occasional word gets missed 😉 Am I right, Birdy ?
    She meant to say
    Allie, what are YOU like !’ which is Britspeak for ‘ Allie, you are a hoot, ie very funny,a scream , hilarious !
    I hope that make sense !
    What are you like Birdy !!! 😉 😉

• posted by Birdy76
    on

I know Patricia what AM I like?🤣🤣. Yes my brain is quicker than my typing hands🤣. You truly do make me lol Patricia. God I love it on here.❤️❤️💞🦜. I am just making chicken lime laska soup from the recipe book. Have any of you guys ever made it? I didn’t put all of the grams of chicken and green beans in, as I didn’t have enough chicken or green beans, but everything else was measured within an inch of its life🤣.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Sorry look brain running at ten do a dozen and now I am calling Wendy Patricia!! Sorry hun 💞🦜 ps may well be a lack of sleep too 🤣

• posted by wendleg
    on

Slow down a bit, Birdy, I can’t keep up as I am chuckling at one response and then another reply appears 😉 😉

• posted by alliecat
    on

I can’t imagine you ever saying anything bad, Birdy! I “read” other people very quickly, and you are nothing but a blast
    of sunshine here 🙂 Other Brits have said the same to me on numerous occasions, and it is one of those expressions
    that I haven’t mastered yet. Now I have! I don’t have a lot of filters, and my preferred humor is the self deprecating
    kind. I don’t mind IN THE LEAST being the butt of my own jokes, either. I quite enjoy it, in fact! I never take myself
    too seriously, and am apt to say just about anything. Whatever is my head or heart just seems to sally forth from
    my mouth. Being a bit “crazy” seems to suit me, and I don’t think I’d be capable of reigning it in, anyway! The
    situation is more or less hopeless….You already know that I’m passionate about this lifestyle…the craziness just
    comes along with it! 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Are you sure we were not separated at birth? Because you have just described me Allie 🤣🤣🤣. Oh my goodness we would be so bad/good together at a social gathering, just feeding off of each other. I wear my heart on my sleeve too.💞🦜

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Soz Wendy I dance like a dervish 🤣🤣🤣.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Also how do I weigh out a huge bloody pot of soup to split it into the 4 servings so I can work out my macros?..💞🦜

• posted by alliecat
    on

We might be dangerous, Birdy! All of the BSD friends that I regularly skype with will tell you that I’m even worse in person!
    Believe it or not, I’m fairly subdued on the forums…..I do use far too many exclamation points though. I really do speak
    that way! Passionate and very over the top exuberant! I’ve already recognized that we are kindred spirits, so that
    means that you can’t be allowed to abandon the community. No holidays allowed either, unless they are in WiFi
    range 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Don’t worry Allie I don’t go away until August and I have WiFi there!🤣. If not I will just up my data plan on my phone! Have no fear dear I am going nowhere !!😍🤣💞🦜

• posted by Squidge
    on

I grow my own herbs, so I always have them to hand and can use them generously. Most are easy to grow on a windowsill if you can’t or don’t want to grow them outside. Not only do they add flavour, but they’re all green leafy veg which are healthy and they make a good garnish too.

I experiment with different combinations, but chives (REALLY easy to grow) can go in or on just about anything savoury. They’re good for adding a mild onion flavour to salads, especially coleslaw. A few snipped onto soup makes it look more interesting. There’s also a garlic form which is flat and mildly garlic flavour. That’s great in stir fries.

Different mints and anything lemony (lemon balm, lemon verbena or lemon grass) are good in water to give some flavour. They can be used for herb teas too.

I also use a lot of basil, coriander, sage, thyme, savory, rosemary, bay, marjoram, fennel, parsley, orach and sorrel. It’s rare for me to cook a meal without any. If you use one herb on its own the flavour can be quite strong, but if you combine several they seem to balance each other out and you can use a lot more of each without overpowering the food.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Squidged. That’s sounds amazing and I can’t wait to get my little section of our garden sorted for herbs. Just need to get some old sleepers and build up an exiting bed so it is waist height.

Well I am at work eating me soup! Lovely but a definite no. Repeat🤣. I see you must have all gone to bed as it is very quiet in here. See you all in the morning guys💞🦜

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Reading this is making me hungry. I finish a lot of my dishes with a squeeze of lime or lemon juice. I also make a herby dressing with lemon juice and olive oil that’s great on grilled meat or fish or just veggies. A Mexican mayonnaise using an avocado which lasts in the fridge for at least a week .

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning skipping that sound delicious. I had to scrape ice off of my windscreen this morning when I finished work😱🤣, but now it is glorious sunshine here in Blighty!🤗. I have walked the dogs so now time for bed. Hope you have an amazing start to your day. 💞🦜

• posted by alliecat
    on

Really nice to see you again, Squidge! How have you been? I’m with you on the fresh herbs. One of my favorite
    combinations is basil, mint and cilantro (coriander). I use to grow a lot of mixed herbs in huge tubs, but the sunlight
    is minimal where I’m living now…from 2:30-4:00pm. I know that mint will flourish,but not basil, thyme or rosemary. Do
    you have any other suggestions?
    For cilantro lovers, I really like Chermoula sauce. It’s Morrocan, and excellent on fish or vegetables, particulary
    cauliflower. It’s made exactly like pesto, and consists of cilantro, garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon juice and olive
    oil.
    Have a good snooze, Birdy!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

When it comes to herbs, basil is one of my favourites and there’s a lovely small leaf one which is popular as a plant in Turkey – I always buy one when we’re there and then at the end of the stay, pass it on. I do the same with chilli plants when we are there too. Coriander (cilantro) is one of my all time favs as well, although OH is not so keen, so I only use in very small quantities. I like to add the leaves of soft herbs to salads to spark them up, as well as making pestos with different herbs, nuts and cheeses.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Alliecat, I’m fine thanks.

Parsley, coriander (cilantro), and lemon balm grow OK in the shade. With a couple of hours of sun then it’s worth trying some others. If you buy plants rather than raising by seed quite a few should do OK, even those we consider sun lovers – although of course the more light the better for a lot of them. I reckon buckler leaf sorrel (that’s really zingy) would be fine. Regular and garlic chives, plus marjoram (oregano) should be too.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hello ladies I am sat in my garden with the sun shining brightly😃. I should still be asleep but my son woke me at 12.30 as that is when he thought I wanted to get up😢. Never mind bless him I should of told him 3pm but forgot. I am loving all the info you ladies and passing on through here as sometimes we can hit a brick wall when thinking of what to eat and how to jazz it up, I love all herbs but not so keen on dill? I don’t understand why as I like aniseed, although star of anise can be too overpowering for me as well. I always use different herb leaves in my salad Sunny as you are right it adds some real flavour. Thanks for doing this guys.💞🦜

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Snap, Birdy! I too like aniseed but am not fond of dill and especially dislike star anise.

Somewhere (need to dig it out) I have a book on petals, leaves and seeds which have culinary use. I remember that one of the more unusual ideas is for fig leaves, which can be used as a wrap like banana leaf when cooking fish or chicken and imparts a slightly coconutty flavour, or it can be shredded and infused in warm vegetable oil then strained out before using the oil for cooking.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Wow that sounds good. I like figs, I must admit when watching cooking programmes of late they have mentioned using fig leaves a lot. I also love violet, I know some if not all are edible, Parma violet sweets were my fav as a child🤣. Can’t have them on this woe eating but might be able to get is naturally! Fingers crossed.💞🦜

• posted by Squidge
    on

I don’t like aniseed, but I don’t mind a small amount of fennel or star anise in food. It’s very easy to overdo those things!

I don’t grow dill or tarragon. One is too tricky and the other too much the other way for me to bother with when I’m not particularly keen on the taste. Fennel makes a good substitute for either.

Violets are edible, and pansies, English marigolds (Calendula), nasturtium, roses … https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=764

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Wow thank you for that squidge. I am looking forward to getting some sweet violets to ad to my ginger cordial, 😋

Please log in or register to post a reply.