Sparkling water

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I remember seeing something on TV which suggested sparkling water wasn’t good for dieters. I thought it was just that it can make people hungry, so wasn’t bothered as it doesn’t seem to do that to me. Recently though I’ve seen comments on social media etc suggesting it would be best to avoid it and am wondering if there’s more to it.

Any one know, or seen reports, that it’s harmful in any way?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hey, Squidge! What I do remember about effervescent drinks is that they aren’t recommended for bariatric surgery
    patients because the expand the stomach, leaving less room for actual food. I think that I just extrapolated from
    that that I would be able to get in more flat water than the sparkling variety. I save the bubbly for an evening beverage
    with dinner, and stay with still water throughout the day.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Squidge – I have also seen media reports about sparkling water being particularly bad for your bones and teeth. The reports were from many years ago and I have avoided it for years. When I started BSD in 2016 I wanted a replacement for the Baileys I drank when we went out and looked into it again. It seems that it is coca cola and similar drinks that are the real baddies and sparkling water is relatively benign.

This is a very good article looking at the research in 2015 – http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150911-is-sparkling-water-really-bad-for-you

So once or twice a month I have a lovely glass of sparkling water with a slice of lemon as a special treat plus my coffee and cream when we are out. Probably the slice of lemon that flavours the water slightly might erode my teeth – but as I don’t squeeze it and only have a couple of glasses a month I am not at all worried drinking it.

I really look forward to my glass of sparkling water and it is so much better for me than the Baileys.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Thanks, both of you.

Interesting and reassuring article.

I tend to drink tap water (or tea) if I’m thirsty. I only have sparkling water as an alternative to wine, or juice etc with a meal. As it’s going to be less acidic, less high in sugar or alcohol and anything else which might be bad for me that whatever it replaces, I’m not going to worry.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Yes – that’s exactly how I looked at it. For me its got to be a whole load better than Baileys.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I used to drink lots of fruit juice and smoothies – thinking I was being so healthy! Not only were they high in (natural) sugar, but being drinks they didn’t seem to count in how much I was eating.

Please log in or register to post a reply.