Soups for winter, summer, for all seasons.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

To the top

• posted by Verano
    on

To the top.
    Some great soup recipes.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

My all time favourite soup is still the Spanish chickpea and chorizo. You can find it in the BSD 800 original book. If you cant find it or dont have the book shout up and I will reprint it here.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi s-g could you reprint the recipe please. Lots of people don’t gave the original book.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi S-G – I haven’t used chorizo much in cooking. Do you use cooked or uncooked chorizo in the soup? And do you remove the casing?
    Thanks!

on

Hi merry, I think the one I use is uncooked and I take off the skin first.

Here is the recipe – thanks to Dr Mosley

It is actually called – Spanish Chickpea and Spinach soup – 210 calories – makes 2 portions (I often make a big batch and portion it up and freeze)

50g Spanish chorizo, diced
    1 tbsp olive oil – my tip is to leave this out as the chorizo gives off plenty of oil so I will say what I do further down.
    1 large leek, thinly sliced
    2 medium cloves of garlic, chopped finely
    1 red pepper, diced
    Pinch of chilli flakes – depends on how spicy your chorizo is
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    1 litre chicken stock
    200g can of chickpeas – drain and rinse (I think this is the 400g can as it comes out at 200g when you have drained them)
    150g g baby spinach leaves

Chuck the chopped chorizo in a pan (I use a large one), cook for about 5 mins until browning. Tip the cooked chorizo into a paper towel lined bowl to let it drain. Recipe says throw residue of oil away but I use that to cook the leeks in. Why throw something away. Add leek to the pan and cook for about 5 mins. I find if they start to go brown then add a drop of water and they will steam. Add garlic, peppers, chilli flakes and paprika and cook out for a couple of minutes. Then add tomato puree, cook for 2 more minutes. Pour in the chicken stock and chickpeas and bring to boil.

Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 mins. Finally put the baby spinach leaves in and the already cooked chorizo. Cook until spinach wilts.

This is almost a full meal rather than a soup starter. I would get 3 portions out of that.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Thank you S-G. I’ve save the recipe and will give it a try. Now to buy some chorizo!

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks s-g.
    I don’t make soups with meat so I will try this recipe with some extra chilli and paprika instead of chorizo and vegetable stock instead of chicken. I might just add some extra vegetables but will post the results of how it turns out!

on

V, trying to think of something else you could put in to replace the meat (are you veggie). I came up with beans but there are already chickpeas so it would be a bit carby. How about some chunks of white fish or some prawns right at the end when you put the spinach in. Or make the basic recipe to freeze in portions and throw in some fish when you re-heat each batch.

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g I’m not veggie but my daughter was for 30 years. She was married to a vegetarian and both her and the boys were veggie. Then she divorced and now has a meat eating partner!!
    I’m just so accustomed to making meatless soups it’s difficult for me to change.
    I like the idea of adding fish but have to say I’m not fond of ‘fish soup’ per se. But you made me think that I could add some cooked chicken to the soup when I heat it up. I’ll definitely give it a try.

• posted by TodDric
    on

Thanks for sharing that awesome Cauliflower and Red Pepper Soup recipe – it’s a real winter warmer! 😋
    I’m all for this ‘soup’ thread idea. Soups are just perfect all year round. Personally, I love experimenting with different ingredients and flavors. It’s like a cozy culinary adventure, you know what I mean?
    If you ever need some quality organic bone broth to take your soups to the next level, I usually order mine from https://healofoods.com . They’ve got a great selection that can really add a nice depth of flavor to your creations.

Please log in or register to post a reply.