Silly question but can I do the BSD if I'm not diabetic?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nuttella
    on

I do seem to have a problem with sugar, (& carbs), so this would seem a good diet for me, although slightly concerned at the 800 calories per day?

Thanks

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Lots of non diabetics are doing this Nuttella, and I haven’t seen anyone having problems.
    Don’t worry about the 800 calories, it sounds low but if you eat the right foods including full fat products and drink 2 to 3 litres of non sugary fluids a day, you won’t even feel hungry.
    Loads of support and advice on here, welcome to a whole new lifestyle.

• posted by Nuttella
    on

Thanks Bill

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I don’t have diabetes, just two stone to lose. I’m just starting week 4 and very happy with things. When you reduce your carb intake you also reduce your appetite so 800 calories isn’t as bad as you think. It is a time-bound diet, 8 weeks, depending on how much you have to lose so there is no expectation to stay on 800 calories long term. All the best to you.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Not a silly question by the way, ask anything you like to get you on the right track!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Nuttella, I’m not diabetic but am hypothyroid. This diet will suit anyone trying to shed some weight or just get plain healthy!! In a weeks time you will be posting about how great you feel! Great to have you on board! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Nuttella
    on

Thanks for your comments, this does seem a very supportive & friendly group, which is good! I have about 2 and a half stone to lose, and need to get my sugar/carb cravings under control to do that. I do think that having support in this way helps and look forward to getting slimmer and healthier!

• posted by SOS
    on

Hi, I’m in the same boat as you Nutella. Not diabetic but with weight to lose, carb addicted. I started this on Sunday and have lost 5lbs. I’m finding it really easy and it is hard reaching 800 cals as the meals really do leave me full.

I think it’s important to have variety so make the most of the recipes provided. I also did this to help with migraines as I get about 3 a week. My last one was on Monday evening so fingers and toes crossed I can say goodbye to them.

The support and information on here is tremendous.

Good luck x

• posted by blacklab
    on

Hi Nutella
    I am not diabetic – need to lose weight and be fitter.
    Been on the BSD for 5 weeks now and lost 6.8 kgs, just over 1 stone.
    I have 2 more stone to lose ideally, and have found this plan a dream to follow. As I am pescatarian, I plan meals myself following the guidelines in the book.

Losing this weight has really given me the confidence to start exercising with real commitment and I feel so much more energised.

Don’t be too hard on yourself, enjoy the new flavours, trying new recipes and feeling healthier. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

• posted by Fin1965
    on

This might seem an even sillier question, a bit about me,….. I’m fifty years old, female and am a stone and a half over weight. Like many I’ve tried all the diets, I did low carb high fat for three weeks but no weight loss at all, also I was very concerned about having high cholesterol figures. It might not be the biggest amount of weight to lose, but it may aswell be, I’ve been trying to lose weight for about a year. I decided to use food replacement drinks and veg in the evenings. This is why I think my question might be silly, am I in the right place to get support and hopefully give support if I can? I’ve been doing this diet for two days, feel ok, just a little hungry. I’m doing the shakes rather than the fantastic recipes just for a bit. I really need to see the scales move downwards, even four pounds will do and then that will motivate me enough to change over to the meals in the book. I don’t suffer from diabetes, so not sure if I’m treading on anyone’s toes by being here. Thank you for reading this!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Fin, it’s not a silly question, we are all on a learning curve on here and you are in the right place for support. I’m sure you won’t be the only person on the forums who has decided to use 600 calories of shakes and 200 of green veg as a starting point. Professor Taylor used that system with diabetic patients during the trial. I haven’t heard of anyone on these forums saying they have not lost any weight though many, like me, have had fails on other diets. I have lost 2 stones in 7 weeks. People have been losing weight at different rates – but the emphasis is they are losing weight!!! Good luck and welcome ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Of course you are welcome here both to give and receive support, that’s what we do!
    I see nothing in your post about fluid intake, in order for this eating plan to work well you should be trying to drink at least 2 – 3 litres of non sugary fluids per day.
    Your past experiences as well as your present ones will only add to the information available to everyone on the forums so please don’t be shy to post
    I, for one will be very interested to see your progression into this new lifestyle.

• posted by Fin1965
    on

Hi hashimoto and Bill 1954 thank you both for the welcome and I’m glad I’m okay to post here, it certainly seems a wonderful forum, plenty of encouragement and hints! Bill1954, I’m trying to drink all the water I can, occasionally I’ll have a Diet Coke, but that’s only once in a blue moon. I am a tea addict though but use a fraction of no sugar soy milk. I have not long started at the gym, well three weeks really. I do spinning on mon and fri for an hour, box fit class on Tuesday and body tone on a Saturday morning for an hour. The man who runs our spinning class said I should drink another shake because he said I would’ve burned off 200 cals easily. I haven’t drank it yet, but am worried I won’t see any weight loss. I have had my thyroid checked and all the figures come back normal, it’s strange because I do feel the cold more than anyone I know and have a sluggish digestion system. If I stick to the 800 cals religiously, by the law of physics, I’ve got to lose something right?! I think my problem in the past has been portion control, I have a HUGE appetite and feel I can eat double what my husband eats. There have been times where this has really embarrassed me and started to eat in secret. That starts a really bad relationship with food I know. The recipes in the book look great don’t they, but I’ll stick to shakes for a couple of weeks and I hope to be one of those who can put a weight loss on this forum, that’ll be a first for me! Thank you very much for your welcome. I think I’m going to be on this forum a lot as I really do get inspiration and motivation from all the posts.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Fin1965
    with that amount of exercise and sticking to 800 cals, the weight should fall off you!
    I too really feel the cold mind, it’s thermals all the way for me.
    Most people have found that, after the first 2 or 3 days, their appetites diminish rapidly as the easy to digest carbs are flushed from their systems and the complex carbs and fat make your body work hard to process.
    I’m confident that, if you stick to the plan, we’ll be seeing a really happy post from you a week from now.

• posted by FoFi
    on

Fin1965, the book doesn’t suggest eating more if you have been exercising. Perhaps if you are exercising for many hours in a day (such as a cycling or hiking holiday) but otherwise no. I try not to eat more when I exercise. I didn’t do any exercise in the first week of this diet and started in the second week. I haven’t been perfect with 800 kcal, (often 900+) but the weight is still coming off reasonably quickly. (I do have much more than you to lose!)

• posted by Fin1965
    on

Oooo Bill1954, I blooming hope that’s the case! Ummmm, I’m sorry about this but I’ve just pressed the report sign on your post as I thought I could reply that way!! I. Not all that great with technology! I’m really hoping my groaning stomachedwill quieten soon, the noises and moaning are terrible! Im guzzling water like a good’n at the mo!
    FoFi, I’m glad you told me you don’t ‘eat back’ your exercise calories, I just wasn’t sure about it. I’m going to not and see how I get on. It’s better for me to have hard and fast rules especially at the start. If I have a roughly or an approximate, I take it to the extreme as I can’t self regulate anything to do with food…..yet, I’m hoping this will change as I try to regulate my appetite and choices around food and gain a better relationship with it. I don’t half feel daft typing that and think of my husband who isn’t overweight, that only thinks about food at the correct times and eats til comfortable. I used to think I want to eat until I felt like popping, that WAS my norm!

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hello Nutella,
    Like others, I am neither diabetic nor pre-diabetic but at my last cardiac check-up at the end of last year not only had my weight gone up (which I knew) but also my cholesterol & blood sugar so I was advised to lose a bit of weight. My surgery sent me some leaflets about weight loss & exercise – some useful info but basically they were suggesting things like Weight Watchers, and links to NHS advice. Having done a bit of reading up I decided on the BSD – what swung it for me was the Sugarberg diagram (under Hidden Sugars on this site) which convinced me that all the “healthy” things I’d been eating were not helping (not to mention all the obviously sweet things), that sugar is the enemy. What reinforced my decision was the picture in the book of the BSD “favourite ingredients” – I realised I could eat pretty well on the BSD diet.

I haven’t followed the 800 calorie exactly (I find counting calories boring & time-consuming, not to mention not feeling great on low calorie diet or fasting days) – I’ve preferred to control portion sizes, eat my meals by a certain time to increase the length of my overnight fast. But I’ve used the foods recommended for this diet. Over 7-8 weeks I’ve lost 10lbs so far (which is slow compared to other people’s progress). I suppose I’ve been doing more of a maintenance diet than the full-on 8-week 800 calories – the point is I’ve adapted it so I don’t feel my stomach is nagging me for food (there have been times I’ve felt hungry trying to stick to 800). I feel like I’m in control so I am more likely to stick to it (rather than give in to the demands of my stomach). I’ve still got weight to lose to get into the “healthy” part of the Body Mass Index but I’m already feeling much more energetic & generally less tired.

If you think you have problems with carbs & sugars then this is probably a good diet for you. If you feel 800 calories may be too low for you, try it (give it time to work) but adapt it to something you feel comfortable with. Little tweaks will still make a difference. There’s no point in suffering when you can achieve weight loss relatively enjoyably! There’s plenty of support & advice available in the forums. Good luck!
    Rose

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Great advice Rose. Well done on you success so far!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Well done on your achievements so far Rose.

• posted by Nuttella
    on

Thank you for all your helpful comments & it is great hearing how well you have done & that other people are in a similar situation to myself.

• posted by buffy045
    on

For fin65 The shakes sound like a great idea can I ask what one are you using. I want to get some in before I start on Monday. Just until I get the hangof the whole thing.

• posted by PescoVeggieDownUnder
    on

Hello Nuttella and others,

Although I am a metabolically fit and healthy person and my blood test results this week showed all is well, type 2 diabetes runs in my family. Both my normal weight father and his father acquired the condition following stressful life events in middle to later age. Now middle aged myself and weighing more than I would like, I decided to give Mosley’s 8 week blood sugar diet a go. I am nearly 3 weeks in and already the benefits are paying off. I have lost close to 5kg in weight and 5cm off my waist. I do not feel at all hungry or deprived. The recipes in the book are mostly incredibly delicious and although I am eating the same foods I would normally (just 800 calories a day of them and little to no carbs), I am cooking different recipes which keeps me engaged and interested in the diet. I cannot recommend it highly enough!

Fin1965, I attend the gym 4 times a week and on at least 3 of those visits, I burn 500 calories. I do not make up the difference by eating more on those days. As I am also a follower of high intensity interval training (HIT aka Fast Exercise), HIT is known to reduce one’s appetite for up to 7 hours following a workout. This is definitely true for me. I am not hungry but make myself eat breakfast upon my return from the gym and then approximately 4 hours later, I eat lunch. By doing this much exercise, I will just lose more weight!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Way to go, pesco! Well done ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.