Sign our petition

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Petition
    NHS to encourage the treatment of type 2 diabetes with a low carbohydrate diet.

Professor Taylor has shown that Type 2 diabetes can be reversed using a low carbohydrate, low calorie diet. The NHS has announced it is rolling out a programme to give pre-diabetics lifestyle help. There is no mention of the blood sugar diet which pre-diabetics and diabetics should be following.

▼More details

The programme will cost £7 million pounds to run. The dietary advice will be the same as that currently being followed. We have a diabetes epidemic so the old advice is not working.
    Dr Maureen Baker, of the Royal College of GPs, welcomed the scheme but she warned “The long-term behaviour changes we need to see is hard to inspire”. However, there are forums for the Blood Sugar Diet which offer the support and inspiration needed which will also ease the burden on GP surgeries.
    Sign this petition The link: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/125704

• posted by orchid
    on

If new facts were needed, the latest WHO organisation report paints a grim picture. It will be interesting to see what (if any) actions come out of it. Just posted on BBC news. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35959554

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Wow, theres an email address to speak to the beeb if you like.
    Everyone please mail them, tell them your story, and include the link to the petition of course 🙂

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Mailed them
    does this sound ok ?
    Hello
    I am type 2 diabetic, diagnosed about 8 years ago but told since that I probably had the disease for 10 years prior to that.
    I developed retinopathy within 2 years of diagnosis and ended up having 4 vitrectomy operations and 2 cataract replacements.
    I couldn’t control my sugar despite being on Metformin, Gliclazide, and Exanatide injections and I was starting to get neuropathy in my feet.
    At the end of January 2016 I had an email from the BDA recommending the 8 week blood sugar diet book by Dr M Mosely and Professor R Taylor, I bought the book and it just made so much sense but recommended the opposite of what I had been told by the medics nutrition wise.
    The diet involves cutting out the simple carbohydrates in the diet including bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, and of course sugar. it also instructs you to increase your daily fat intake.
    There is a really good online support forum and people are posting incredible results.
    I am by no means a “big hitter”, but, between Feb 2nd and April 2nd this year I have lost 2 stones in weight, Daily blood sugar readings are in normal limits, the eye hospital has noticed a marked improvement in the condition of my retinal blood vessels, and my HbA1c results taken just 4 weeks in to the diet now has me in pre diabetic range and dropping. Cholesterol is now within normal limits and my kidney function is fine. The neuropathy is slowly improving. I have dropped the Gliclizide and Exanatide and halved the Metformin dose with a view to being med free within the next 3 months.
    Add to that, after the first couple of days of getting over the carbohydrate withdrawal symptoms, I have never felt hungry and seldom now even think of the food I used to eat.
    Many people worldwide are getting the same results on this eating regime and their stories can be found at
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com
    We (the forum posters) are so convinced that this diet is the answer to no medication blood sugar control, we have organised an online petition at https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/125704 to try to convince the government to use this nutritional information in their upcoming pre diabetes boot camps.
    We are all totally convinced that this is the way forward in type 2 diabetes care.
    Sorry I don’t wish to be interviewed by a reporter but I’m sure that many of the people using this new lifestyle will.

Best regards

William Bell

• posted by orchid
    on

Sounds good Bill.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Orchid, hope you don’t mind, I’ve reproduced that link in Judiths petition post in the Welcome section ( with credit to you of course)
    I just feel, if everyone starts mailing the Beeb, we may just have a loud voice on our side.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Emailed. This is what I sent.

Good afternoon.
    I am type 2 diabetic, diagnosed in 2009. After being diet controlled, following the conventional advice of carbohydrates with every meal, since then I was on the point of being prescribed medication when I found a book called ‘The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet’.
    Since 19th December 2015 I have been following the advice of Dr M Mosley and Professor R Taylor to cut out simple carbohydrates and eat a Mediterranean style diet.
    In just under 16 weeks I not only feel much better, I have lost just over 3 stone, dropping 3 dress sizes. My fasting blood sugar has dropped from 10.9 to under 5. Today it was 4.0. Prior to this way of eating I struggled to get a fasting reading under 7. My blood pressure has also dropped.
    When eating the recommended carbohydrates I was always hungry, always panicking if food was not easily available. Now, with restricted carbohydrates, I am not hungry and only eat breakfast and an evening meal. Late night snacking is a thing of the past. I no longer crave the carbohydrates that used to dominate my thinking.
    In addition I have more energy, think more clearly and have better concentration.
    I am a member of an online forum now attracting world-wide membership
    https://thebloodsugardiet.com
    The results people are recording speak for themselves. We are so pleased that we have found something that works for us when conventional medical and dietary advice has failed us that we have started an on-line petition
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/125704
    in the hope that the government will use this dietary approach for type 2 diabetes care in the near future.
    We are convinced that this dietary approach works and is the way forward whereas conventional medical and dietary advice for many decades, of eating carbohydrate and low-fat, has not halted the increase in the number of type 2 diabetics and has not stopped the need for many to be prescribed medication in an effort to reduce blood sugar levels.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

That’s brilliant Lynne
    If we can get a couple hundred emails of that ilk sent we may get a reaction.
    I would add that although it is the BBC, the article is about the worlwide T2D problem so can we ask all our friends from outside the UK to mail them too and let’s try to get this thing rolling.

• posted by orchid
    on

no problems. As an aside, I was wondering if we should create a FAQ section where we can put advise that new joiners often ask. I used to know where the info was and was able to point people to that forum post, but there is soooo much now and we may lose it as people move on.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill, why don’t you wish to be interviewed by a reporter? You would make an excellent spokesman!!! You’re articulate and you have had so much success.

I just used that ‘haveyoursay’ email address. Did the link you used ask if you would be prepared to be interviewed?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Emailed you Judith 😉
    yeah it said to leave contact details if you are willing to be interviewed

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks Bill, just emailed you back.
    Was out at butchers and then visiting my dad (again).

I decided to get a ham hock to make soup like my mother used to. Accidentally asked for ham shank, I thought it was enormous! Got home and it was dated incorrectly. went back to the Butchers today, no ham shanks but he offered me an enormous gammon. I don’t like gammon and asked if he had a ham hock. They weren’t as expensive so he insisted on giving me a pie of my choice ( their pies are famous!!). So I choose a steak pie to give to dad ( he is a pie lover), so the butcher said I will give you the largest size so you can both eat it for lunch. It must be for 4 – 6 people! Well that’s dad fixed up for a couple of meals before he goes to Bolams in Sedgefield tomorrow for his massive meat purchases! I do mean massive!! I don’t know how he can get through two freezer fulls on his own, but he does, in a remarkably short time!!

I really wish I could add some pearl barley to that ham hock soup, it was always my favourite part!!

For people on a budget I could recommend getting a ham hock from your butcher’s. Cheap and makes an enormous pan full of delicious soup. 🙂

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Judith
    do you have a barley intolerance ? I seem to remember you mentioning something like that, I love the stuff and I’m getting a real taste for green lentils too.
    Strangely enough I’ve just had lentil and bacon soup for lunch – delicious!
    I’ll go check my emails 🙂

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Bill, sadly yes. Wheat, barley and rye all contain gluten. So even malt vinegar has a bad effect on me – the ‘malt’ part of it’s name comes from malted barley.

Yes, I’m using green lentils in my soups now but red lentils in dahl. Unless of course I make lentil and bacon soup then it is red lentils all the way!!
    🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.