Side effects???

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by StJames
    on

Hi everyone, so iv entered my 3rd week on the BSD diet today and it’s been going great. Iv lost 23lbs so far and I’m feel confident. However since starting the diet iv woken in the morning with aching kidneys. It’s not the ache of needing to relieve yourself but more of a dull ache at the bottom of my back. It’s on both sides so it’s more unlikely to be kidney stones, no pain/blood when passing urine. Has anyone experienced this? I don’t know if it’s the dramatic increase in water (perhaps in drinking too much and it’s making my kidneys work overtime) or I have read about katones effecting the kidneys. Sadly I have hypochondria so it’s constantly on my mind at the moment. Thanks

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Firstly, well done on making such good progress – brilliant!! Secondly, I haven’t heard of this side effect, so would say if the problem doesn’t settle in the next few days, get it checked out by the medics.

Good luck …

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello StJames
    It could be a kidney infection. Speaking from experience, these are not good so get it checked if it lingers. But I can assure you that increased water will not cause this, it is the best thing for it!

• posted by StJames
    on

Thanks for your reply! It’s just so strange it’s started since I started this diet. I’ll see how it is by the end of the week and book an appointment 😀

• posted by topcac
    on

Please do not confuse ketosis (the state that your body enters when it is burning fat, not carbs) and ketoacidosis which can cause a problem with your kidneys.

This article might help:

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ketoacidosis.html

As to what it could be, an infection sounds the most likely so do get it checked out – highly unlikely to be cause by the diet however.

Please log in or register to post a reply.