Sickness on BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SmithyJ
    on

Hi,
    Just wondering what people’s thoughts and experiences are of the BSD affecting blood pressure. I started week 4 of fast 800 Sunday and I had a sickness bug. On the evening my partner found me on the bathroom floor passed out. I got taken to hospital as the paramedics said my blood pressure was dropping low when I stood up. The doctor said everything appeared fine on tests. But blood pressure will drop when you are ill and dehydrated. I’m still experiencing dizzy spells and a strange feeling in my head when I stand up. I’m wondering whether the diet has anything to do with it? I’m 32 and I wouldn’t say I’m terribly unfit. Take my vitamins on bsd and I’d had blood tests before the diet and nothing appeared to be abnormal. My partner and daughter have been sick with a bug too but not as bad as me. Just wondered if anyone has had anything similar happen with the low blood pressure symptoms? Ive had good results too and lost 13lb so far 😊 so don’t want to give up on the 8week program before I switch to 5:2.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi smithy, sorry to hear you have been so ill. I think this is probably the main cause of your low BP and passing out but, as I am not a doctor, I could not say for sure. One of the side effects of BSD is lowering of BP but should only affect you if you are being treated for high BP and it goes too low with the combination of lack of calories and any meds you might be on and we are advised to speak to doctors about adjusting any meds. Doesn’t sound as though this is the case. Also, vlc diets can cause you to be a bit weak due to lack of food but this passes and you are advised not to do things like too much strenuous exercise or getting up from seated too quickly. As you had a medical before starting the diet I would still say it is probably due to the illness. The information under the heading Blood Sugar Diet, Who Should Do It also lists who should not do it and illness is one reason not to be doing it. Putting your body under too much extra strain. Wait until you are fully recovered and look after yourself.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Low carb is recommended to reduce high blood pressure, so it may be having some effect. This link https://www.dietdoctor.com/blood-pressure may provide you with some interesting information even through it is focused on reversing high blood pressure.

One thing that I noticed from the article is the mention of salt deficiency causing low blood pressure. – When you are transitioning from a high carb to a low carb diet some people experience “keto flu” which is caused by a lack of electrolytes. – Our bodies have to store water when we eat a high carb diet, and release that water when we move onto a low carb diet. – When our kidneys release that water they also release electrolytes. So the recommendation is to increase salt intake to replace the electrolytes. I am not a doctor, but it may be worth increasing your salt intake.

Please log in or register to post a reply.