Second Week Plateau

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by FluteToot
    on

Hi everyone,

My partner and I decided to start the BSD on 2nd January. We are both classed as “obese” on the BMI scale, and my partner has type 2 diabetes, so we thought we’d give it a go after I read MM’s book. Doing it together means we have each other’s support, and can plan, prepare and eat the same meals, which is helpful.

We had a really successful first week – I lost 8lbs and my partner lost 6lbs. But we have just weighed ourselves this morning, and neither of us have lost any weight at all. In terms of eating, we had a really good week, although I did treat myself to a glass of pink G&T on Sunday night! I read somewhere that on weeks 2/3 of a VLCD, weight may plateau, and to expect another big drop around week 4. It seems odd to me that we have literally halved the amount we eat, but didn’t lose anything at all.

I just wanted to check other people’s experiences in the second week?

FluteToot

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

You can call it a plateau but after such good losses in week one your body is wondering what the hell is going on. Although there is no such thing as starvation mode, unless you really are starving and we are not, your body registers a lack of what it is used to so hangs on to what it has got just in case. Keep on with the plan and your body will soon realise there is food coming and you will start to lose again. First week I lost 4lbs, week 2 just the one but hopefully it will pick up again next week. When a plateau hits some people get frustrated and give up but have faith, it does work and the weight will start to come off again.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi FluteToot – if you get to the end of week three and you still haven’t lost more, it might be worth checking your carb intake, check you are including enough fats in your meal plan and reviewing your fluid intake. All of these are important factors in losing weight on this regime.

Fingers crossed that you will soon be seeing the pounds dropping again soon. If you’re sticking to the plan, it will happen for sure.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, Flutetute, and welcome to the forum. You have found
    your way to a place of support, caring and wisdom. I agree
    with everything that sunshine-girl and SunnyB have shared.
    I’ve been practicing this WOL (way of life) for 19 months, 9
    of which have been in maintenance. I’ve lost 148 lbs. I didn’t
    become obese overnight, and these changes are not a sprint
    or a quick fix, but an out and out marathon. Strictly speaking,
    you cannot even call it a “plateau” until you’ve been stuck with
    no scale movement for 2 weeks. Our bodies have a lot of
    adjusting to do, and every experience is different. This is where
    you and your partner need to trust in the advice of us “old
    timers” who are a little farther down the road, for we are all
    positive that this works! If you are carefully weighing and
    measuring everything, and drinking 2-3 liters of water daily,
    the results will come. My friends here will undoubtedly groan
    when I repeat again that I experienced an 18 day plateau two
    months in. I had to make adjustments to my net carbs to get
    the scale speeding in the right direction. You may have to
    consider this also, if you’re not happy with your rate of weight
    loss. All things are possible here, so just keep the faith 🙂
    Bring any and all of your concerns to us, we’re always happy
    to help!

Good luck,

Allie

• posted by Squidge
    on

I haven’t lost anything for a few days either. Maybe tomorrow?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sometimes our bodies just need a bit of time to regroup and adjust and in these periods, the scales stop dropping. Watch out for the non-scales victories though, you might find even if the scales haven’t moved, the tape measure shows a decrease or your clothes feel less restrictive.

Just remember that as long as you stick with the BSD, the pounds will start to fall again.

• posted by Megan987304
    on

I’m also finding that I’m not shifting weight in the 2nd week, but my water intake is pretty bad.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I only lost 1lb in week 2 but fear not, it has started up again – not declaring loss until Tuesday

• posted by caronl
    on

Good for you s-g. I hope the same comes for me – just 1lb lost last week and this week the scales have not yet moved AT ALL. So fingers crossed (and a lot of food weighing) in the hope that I have something decent to report on Tuesday!

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Megan987304

I’ve never been great (consistent) with the drinking water bit of BSD, but keeping well-hydrated definitely helped me with the weight loss. Keep going with it. Good luck.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

marie123 has a good point, it is vital to keep well hydrated for weight loss. If it is something you struggle with, find a way to remind yourself and keep track. I’m the same and historically hydration has been a struggle for me, but a couple of things I’ve used since being on the BSD, is making myself drink a glass of water whenever I go into the kitchen and I also draw little pictures of cups and glasses on our white board and strike them through when I have a drink. Perhaps you can think of something to prompt you too Megan.

• posted by Strawberry13
    on

So happy to have seen this post! I’m completing day 5 of week 2 and first week lost 9.5lb and was obviously delighted… this week just 1.5lb as of this morning. I definitely feel different… I wore a dress today that I haven’t in months, as an example. But I’m glad to see that it is a common thing and not just me. I knew it wouldn’t come off at that rate constantly… but, I’d hoped it wouldn’t slow as soon as 2 weeks.
    But, I have faith and am doing all the right things. It’s going to be pretty impossible to continue what I’m doing, without losing weight.

Have a great weekend everybody!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Strawberry13 – as the body adjusts, weight loss will fluctuate and sometimes stall, but don’t worry because these are phases and will pass. Bear in mind though that some of us – me included – lose more slowly than others, but as you say if you keep doing what you’re doing, weight loss will definitely happen.

Have a good w/e.

• posted by Strawberry13
    on

Thanks so much, really appreciate that! 🙂 have a great weekend x

• posted by FatCat
    on

I’m also almost finished week 2 (round 2 – over a year since round 1), and I’ve lost only 1lb after 7lb in 1st week – but I’m weighing food, on plan (and I’m at about 1000 cals each day) – and I know it will drop again soon. Best thing – I can fasten my belt again – 3″ off waist!!

• posted by Strawberry13
    on

Yay congrats! I wish I’d have measured myself as I can absolutely tell in that respect. Just need to persevere and hopefully week 3/4 it’ll be back to big losses!

• posted by FluteToot
    on

Thank you so much everyone for the encouragement and the tips. I probably don’t drink enough water, so I will definitely try to be better at that. I’m also finding that I have got a bit lax in weighing ingredients, so that’s something to watch as well. My partner says he can tell I’ve lost some weight, although the scales haven’t registered much than 1lb lost this week! Still, going in the right direction!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi all – I’m having a drastic slow down this second week too (redoing 800 after doing it same time last year) but I experienced the same thing last time I did BSD so I’m confident that drinking water, continuing measuring and keeping an eye on the carbs will start showing on the scales too.

Good luck!

• posted by Alibobs
    on

I saw this post the day I started and decided to come back and read it when I reached 2 weeks.

I hope you’re feeling more positive FluteToot and that things are moving in the right direction still. I have found my weight loss pattern weird to date. I’m finding I drop 2 or 3 pounds from day to the next and then I’ll stay the same for several days. I’m used to it now but it was a little startling and frustrating at first.

Please log in or register to post a reply.