Second attempt.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Coriander
    on

Hi, BSDers. I started the programme in March and lost about 11lbs, but two weeks in craved a ‘proper’ meal (ie/ large and calorific). After that, I just caved in and slid off the BSD path. I am now attempting to get back on the straight and narrow. I did have my blood sugar checked a couple of weeks ago (I’m pre-diabetic), and it had come down 4mmols, but obviously I want to get it out of the pre-diab bracket. I’m also aiming to lose 3 or 4 stone. Any advice for staying on track? I’m a vegan, so menu choices are a bit more restricted. Thank you.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Coriander – I have been a BSDer for 3 years next month but have recently had quite a big weight gain. First, just as I was getting shut of the Christmas weight we went on holiday to visit family in the UK and straight from that onto a cruise for 2 weeks. Before I had even had time to draw breath my family were visiting us for a week. I have just waved them goodbye at the airport and am shocked to see I have gained (mainly in the one week period) around 3kgs. They want to eat out all the time or they want to be out and about and the only food available is snack bars or restaurants. Yesterday we went to Bordeaux with the sole intention of eating at a specific restaurant that is a bit of a novelty. The novelty, it has no menu and only serves steak and chips with a buttery garlic sauce. So I had no choice at all. As a diabetic I have to eat but also I dont want to eat the wrong things. Ironically, my BG was down this morning but I think I need to take a serious look at myself and re-tackle the weight. Like you I am probably around 3 to 4 stone over what I should be so I am starting again with nothing in my way for the next 8 weeks. Hope to see you around and which you every success.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Coriander,

It’s not that unusual to give in to a craving and eat something (or a few things!) we shouldn’t. Pretty sure we’ve all done it, even the most succesful dieters in the forum. It does cause a setback, but needn’t be a disaster, so if it happens again don’t use it as an excuse to give up altogether โ€“ just continue with the diet from the next meal.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Eating carbs drives hunger for more of them. That’s why it’s so easy for “cheat days” and “a little treat now and again” to result in a radical return to old ways that drags on for weeks, months, even years. If you find yourself unable to fight the urge to eat a lot of calories one day, then go for fat instead of carbs. The vegan diet eliminates a lot of easy low-carb options, unfortunately, but there are plenty of delicious low-carb foods you can still eat. I would advise stocking up on coconut cream, extra-virgin olive oil, toasted sesame oil, chia, hemp hearts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, Brazil nuts/pili nuts/pecans/macadamias, pure cacao nibs, almond/macadamia milk, hemp milk, silken tofu, extra-firm tofu, kelp noodles, konjac noodles, olives (not canned; the good ones in brine), lupini beans, dried soybeans (black or yellow), and high fiber vegetables like spinach, cooking greens (collards, kale, mustard) and broccoli rabe.

You can easily prepare a sumptuous feast with the above ingredients, like a four-course meal complete with dessert, and you wouldn’t even crack 10 grams of net carbs. The association of “proper meal” and “lovely” or “nice” with sugary-carby poisons must be broken. It’s a fraud, not reality, and you can indulge in high calorie meals without falling into the carb trap.

Good luck!

• posted by Coriander
    on

Hi, SunshineGirl,

Life sure does get in the way of our efforts, doesn’t it?? I have a couple of lunches out with friends in the next 8 weeks, but hope to stay on track for the rest of the time. Best of luck with your plan. We’ll get there!

• posted by Coriander
    on

Hi, Squidge.

Giving up completely has always been my downfall. I need to overcome that ‘all or nothing’ mentality, and brush myself down to start again if I’ve strayed off track a little. Thanks for your tips ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Coriander
    on

Good advice. Thanks esnecca. And thanks for the suggested shopping list. Most helpful!

• posted by Squidge
    on

When you have lunch out, don’t feel shy about asking for any bread, potatoes, pasta etc to be left off your plate โ€“ it’s easier to do that once then spending the whole meal trying to resist eating them.

Also check the menu for things which tempt you and could be converted into low carb versions. If you like cooking it’s fun trying to come up with meals which include favourite flavour combinations and textures, but skip the refined carbs.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Stay on track for the lunches out too. Eating at a restaurant doesn’t have to spell carb doom. It’s just an assumption, a mental habit, and can be broken. As a vegan, you must find a million things on menus that you don’t eat. You ask for them to be left out or substituted with things that you do eat. So now you’re a low carber vegan. You order the salad without croutons just like you’d order it without cheese.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

After 3 years on this plan why is it I go out and have one meal where I have absolutely no choice and feel like I am being given a lecture. I have spent 3 years avoiding bread, potatoes, rice, pasta etc etc and have managed perfectly well and when I give support to someone who feels they are struggling I give some support, I get lectured on eating out, I was just empathising. It is not always possible to eat what you know you should and it is not good to make visitors feel bad about their choices. Today is a new day and I am immediately back on track.

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

As a fellow diabetic I’m with you on this SG. For us this WOE has to be sustainable for life which means having exceptions here and there to fit in with our lives, otherwise we’d give up completely. My main aim, like you, is to keep my bg level low and as long as that’s happening then I’m doing something right. Please don’t be disheartened. I totally agree with your post. And as your bg was still down then in my book you’ve not done anything wrong. You should be pleased with yourself.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I was talking to Coriander, s-g, and did not intend to lecture anyone, only to suggest she handle carbs in a restaurant setting the same way she handles dairy or eggs. I’m sorry that I offended you.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I have form on this site for mis-lots of things, and being the bot-idiot and the reactive knee/hammer. I have learnt that way how easy it is to misconstrue a posting, or how mine might be misconstrued, but equally that all on here are so lovely, and all the same aim. Lets not argue!

• posted by Coriander
    on

Thank you for all your tips and support, folks!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

6T and everyone the problem with things getting misconstrued is this is all in text and it is easy for it all to sound harsh as the emotion you get when talking face to face cannot get across on here or in text. That is why I use so many emojis as I hope it helps to soften things. We all also know that Esnecca was only trying to guide and that some of us find it more difficult than others. We are all here to help and support each other and as SG said it is all forgotten. ๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿฆœโค๏ธ

Please log in or register to post a reply.