Sausage and Mash

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kazd
    on

Disclaimer: I am not diabetic but diagnosed with high blood sugar due to excess weight, would like to shift at least 3 stone.

I started on Monday cutting out as much sugar as possible (big chocolate ice cream lolly fan usually followed by more chocolate). I am aiming to make sure that all foods come in under 10% per 100g of sugar and also trying to keep the rest of the carbs low. That’s a bit difficult because I don’t really know what is considered acceptable if you are trying to lose weigh.

I digress, I ordered two types of sausages, my favourite caramelised onion and because whilst under 10% sugar they were still higher than cumberland sausages , so my plan was to have two sausages, one of each. The revelation was that I ate the cumberland first and was amazed when I started the caramelised onion sausage on how sweet it was. I would not normally notice this because I usually had them as a sandwich with ketchup. The result was I actually preferred the cumberland.

Right I am now getting to the point of my post. I served this with mashed sweet potato and green beans and along with this I made an onion gravy. The problem is that I was left not knowing how to thicken the gravy so just went my normal route of flour and fat mixed with stock made with sweet potato water.

Do you experts out there have any suggestions on how to thicken gravy without using white flour.

Thanks

• posted by Bissell
    on

Hi Kazd. It sounds like you had quite a scare with high blood sugars, so congratulations for looking into what you can do about them. As was suggested to you, being overweight often goes hand in hand with high blood sugars and this can then progress to type 2 diabetes and all the problems that can lead to. But many people have found that by losing weight on the Blood Sugar Diet, they can regain control of their blood sugars and many have been able to come off their meds altogether.

So, to answer your question, I’m going to start a bit further back! With this diet, all carbohydrates are restricted and in general people stick to 800 calories a day
    for 8 weeks (and much longer, quite safely and very successfully, if needed). We probably wouldn’t have sweet potato mash, nor caramelised onion sausages, or indeed many ‘ordinary’ sauasages, as they all have quite a high carbohydrate content. Many people try and stay below 50g carbs per day, so even lower.

As for the gravy, again, I probably wouldn’t have thickened gravy, especially in the initial 8 weeks. But I do have the odd drop of bisto now that I’m maintaining my weight loss and have upped my calories a bit. Have a read of the book, if you think this way of eating might help you. There’s always someone on the forums to give you guidance/advice etc.

Best of luck!

Please log in or register to post a reply.