salad dressings

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by barby
    on

I am confused. Some here count carbs, some cals.

I want to buy a supermarket salad dressing if poss, for days when I don’t have time to make it.

I like quite a lot of dressing on my salad, I have a lot of varied leaves/spinach, and it needs dressing for me. I was having full fat Hellmans mayo , but this is too many cals.

I think Neohdiver said she uses low cal dressing, but does anyone know which is also lowest carb? It is so annoying not being able to buy low carb items that don’t have added sugar. I really hope the manufacturers catch up soon on the demand.

The Pizza Express light dressing is 298 cals and 5.2 carbs per 100 mil.

The Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil is 822 cals per 100mls and no carbs.

Hellmans FF is 721 cals and 1.3 carbs.

What do you all do?

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Barby,
    I don’t use mayo or salad cream much, I usually use olive oil now with balsamic vinegar.
    When I started I bought a couple of dressings for the salads one from M&S and one from Sainsbury’s. Both low-fat and lowest calories I could find.
    M&S Soy, chilli and coriander dressing – 1.7g carbs (of which 1.4g is sugars), 9 calories for a dessertspoon – 10 ml.
    Sainsbury’s Harissa dressing – 1g carbs (of which 0.9g is sugar), 1g fat, 13 cals. for 10ml.

I was looking again a few weeks later and realised when looking at the labels, that the NORMAL dressings were lower in carbs and higher in fat, so better for this diet. They are also more calories.
    Sainsbury’s Caesar Dressing – 0..6g carbs (of which 0.2g is sugars), 4g fat, 36 cals for 10mls. Note it is also high salt.

All three are flavoursome. So, the ‘normal’ dressings are better for low sugar, but the low fat ones better for lower cals.
    Given how much I put on my plate, and yes I even measure this – it is normally 10-15 ml’s per plate. So, the extra calories for the non-low fat foods seems worth it. If you are using more, then you may need to look at the calories.
    I spotted the difference when I was browsing the shelf and saw one with ‘green’ on the traffic lights for sugar. It was ‘normal’ dressing. All the others were ‘amber’ as they were low fat so high sugars.

Does not help with Salad Cream and Mayo – but maybe some other dressing types can be if use instead?

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

All good stuff of course, but if I have a salad it will always have some lower calorie salad cream on it or it is not a proper salad in my world, but I do work in the calories – or at least I did before I stopped counting in Week 11. I have lost 18%+ of mass now and do not intend to lose much more so salad cream does not even need to be low carb now really.

Please log in or register to post a reply.