Rising bs levels after four years of eating low carb, high(healthy) fat.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by steph81170
    on

I would be grateful for any advice.
    Four years ago I was diagnosed as being pre-diabetic. I cut out all sugar and beige carbs – ie ate low carb, high (healthy)fat, lost a few kilos (was not overweight anyway) and my bs level dropped to the normal range. Just lately, my levels have been rising into the 6, 7 and sometimes 8 range and I don’t know why. I will ask my GP for an HBA1C next week. The last one about 6 months ago was 41.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi Steph
    I’m no expert so these are just my thoughts – getting a hba1c test is a good idea as that will tell you what you’re facing, whether you do now have diabetes or prediabetes. Michael Mosley talks about individual thresholds, when you cross that threshold you develop diabetes but it is different for everyone – it doesn’t mean you have to be grossly overweight to develop it, just hold more fat than your threshold allows. Some people put on fat around the organs whereas others put it on all over their bodies and its the fat around the organs which causes the damage. You may be holding more fat around your internal organs which has caused your blood glucose to increase and this diet would certainly help you tackle that.
    But we should also remember that sometimes our bodies just don’t work as well as they ought to – I don’t know how old you, and this may not apply to you – but as we get older we just have to work harder at something that was easier when we were younger and blood glucose may be the thing you have to work harder at.
    I have found that increasing my exercise helps control my blood glucose so maybe you could try a bit more exercise as well as the diet. But the first thing is definitely the hba1c test.
    Good luck

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Steph
    I thought I’d post my experience in case it helps a bit. I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in 2016 so we’re not in the same situation, but I started the 8 week Blood Sugar Diet and like you I also went low carb and high fat from the beginning.

What I’m wondering is about the carbs you’re eating. You mention cutting out all beige carbs which is great, but what I found is that whether the carbs were processed or unprocessed didn’t make any difference, they still raised my blood sugars.
    So even though MM in the BSD (and others elsewhere) have talked about eating good healthy unprocessed carbs, rye bread, lentils, oats etc when I tested my blood sugars before and after my meals I found that these carbs raised my blood sugar levels too high. There was no difference between them.
    Also, while I was having a low number of carbs in total for the whole day, if I ate a lot of those carbs in one meal that would also raise my blood sugar levels.

What I’d emphasise is that we’re not in the same boat – my hba1c was very high on diagnosis so I was well and truly diabetic, you’re not. But my instinct is if there is a problem then that might be it. If you haven’t come across it, the dietdoctor.com site has some really helpful info and great visuals on numbers of carbs in different foods.

It might be worth using one of the food trackers (I use fatsecret.co.uk) to record how many carbs you are eating each day. If you know how many you’re eating on average now, if your hba1c (which I also think is a great idea) is higher than 41, you can then try reducing your daily carb levels. I’ve read of a lot of people on here and other sites using this technique successfully.

Finally, a big congratulations on the weight loss and getting your blood sugars back into a normal range – that’s no mean feat, and if your hba1c is higher, you’ve done it once, you can definitely do it again. Let us now how you go.
    Take care.
    Jennie xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.