Reversing diabetes question

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by lorenz
    on

I am on medication for about 8 years and am very keen to reverse diabetes and getting off the tablets. I started the fast 800 with a BMI of 24.8 and after 4.5 weeks am down to 21.3. However my doctor thinks that I have to get down to 18.5 to achieve my goal to reverse diabetes. I can not find any reference to this in the book. Does anyone knows or has been told the same?

• posted by SchnitzelVonKrumm
    on

I don’t know. Isn’t it your blood sugar results rather than your BMI number that will tell you when it is reversed? You can have a high BMI and not be diabetic.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Lorenz
    Have just read the answer to your question in Professor Taylors notes for Doctors. if you look at the top right hand corner of this page you can see a link to Resources. Press the link and you will see a list – press the link for professionals and you will be able to run off Professor Taylors notes for Doctors.

At the bottom of page 1 – in the importance of setting a weight target. It says that – Some individuals will have type 2 diabetes with a BMI only just above the normal range and for them a low normal BMI is an appropriate target.

I think you have a very clued up doctor who must be knowledgable about this research – which is brilliant. Because your BMI wasn’t high to start with – to reverse diabetes you have to go to the lower end of normal BMI in order to reverse your diabetes.

I only just read this because I am seeing my Diabetes Consultant tomorrow and I am getting all the info together. I do hope my doctor is as up to date with the research as yours is.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Inside Out tonight on BBC1 at 7.30 is about diabetes.

For those living in the northeast the programme features Prof Taylor. If you live in other regions it will be available on iplayer later.

Please log in or register to post a reply.