Returning to the fold after an absence…

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hello BSD-ers,
    I dropped off the forums a while ago since I was struggling to reach my target (I’d lost 2.5stone in 2016/17 but found it difficult to remain below 10st). I’ve generally been at 10st + a few pounds but just recently I was heading too close to 11st. Managed to nip that in the bud and am currently at 10st 10lb. I’m at the stage where I know I ought to do something but haven’t quite built up the fire to seriously do anything about it. I seem to be able to eat BSD-wise but then I spoil things by scoffing things I shouldn’t (usually when I’m feeling lousy – yes, I comfort eat).
    However, I’ve just finished work (taken voluntary redundancy) and have a whole week to occupy so I’m planning a taster session in Nordic Walking, as well as my usual swimming/pilates. Work at my allotment is picking up now. So hopefully I’ve got exercise covered.
    I’ve got a whole load of family history to write up so hopefully that will provide distraction from thoughts of ice cream, crisps, etc.

So I’m posting this message to see how other long-term BSD-ers are doing and how you cope with maintaining enthusiasm long-term.

Regards,
    Rose

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Rozy, I remember you from when I was on the diet the first time, and have been maintaining for about 2 1/2 years. Since last November though the weight trend is going up so I have just rejoined a Fast 800 thread, the Road trip to Summer. I reckon I need to lose about 1 1/2 stone to give me back some maintenance wiggle room.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Mixnmatch, nice to hear from you. I was dangerously close to 11st this morning – eek. Still some way off my pre-BSD start weight of 12.5stone but I get annoyed with myself for letting things slide. If I could get back to nearer 10st I would be happy. I generally start the day off well but the evenings are when I go overboard. I’ve forgotten my own advice of “resist temptation in the shop – don’t buy the crap stuff in the first place”. And I must remember to drink water, rather than resort to food. The bad habits have crept back in again.

I’m hoping that not working will take away the stresses that led me to comfort eat. However, I have to be wary of slobbing out on the sofa watching Amazon Prime, and the only part of me moving is my fingers while knitting! So, my plan is to keep giving myself things to look forward to so that I don’t get bored – if my mind is occupied then I won’t think about food. Vary my routine. Keep active – do something every day to burn a few extra calories.

I’ve recently made more of an effort to eat “gut-friendly” too. Kefir. Dilute apple cider vinegar. Green tea.

At the end of the day, it’s all in my own hands. I think it’s probably harder the 2nd time round so I probably need to be stricter than I was before. Good luck with your reboot, too. Thanks for getting in touch.

Regards,
    Rose

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Hiya Rozy! Good to see you again. I was off the grid for a while too because we bought a house and I spent the better part of a year nesting. The previous homeowner left such an ungodly amount of stuff in every nook and cranny that I’m still plowing through it. I’ve only gotten to the garage over the past couple of weeks. Talk about busy work… Do you have any storage spaces or closets or workrooms that could use a spring clean? It’s the kind of thing we put off indefinitely because it’s gross and spidery, but wow does it give you a sense of accomplishment to carve off even a small chunk of the mess and you really work up a sweat. You start out planning to do one thing — go through a single box, clean out a specific corner — and then you figure you might as well do this one other thing, then another and another. Next thing you know, you’ve been ridiculously productive for two hours. You can’t put a price on that kind of feeling. It’s positive reinforcement for all your goals, very much including weight loss and fitness.

Welcome back!

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Esnecca,
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, my whole house needs a spring-clean. I’m with you on the benefits of spring-cleaning – hard work, but I know what you mean about one thing leading to another and before you know it half a day has gone, but you’ve got a clean house. Then I go for a walk and trudge in more grime! 🙂 But it has to be done… so I might as well “enjoy” burning some calories and feel virtuous.
    This morning I had a taste of Nordic walking – I shall sleep well tonight!
    I must remember to pace myself – experience shows if I overdo it I can end up with a headache/feeling really tired, and that’s when I can go overboard scoffwise.
    Guess I know what I’m doing next week…
    Thanks again.

Please log in or register to post a reply.