Remember, remember, low carbs for November: 4 week challenge ending 28 November.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Verano, thanks for the link, and an interesting way of looking at things.

On the other hand, a burger has always looked more appealing than chocolate cake to me! (though I always used to have the bun too). But I just haven’t got a sweet tooth, so cakes, biscuits, chocolate etc have never figured in my diet, yet I still got fat!!

Obviously I cut out all the white refined carbs, but some of the things that made me fat are allowed on BSD – nuts in particular. I just ate far too many of them, grazed on them all day!! That and wine!! And pastry – I do (did) like a good pie or tart!

Upon reaching maintenance though (very nearly 6 months ago) I have reintroduced these things (not the white carbs obviously, although I do allow myself the occasional fries when out for a pub meal), I just limit my consumption – initially I was having a glass of wine every day, now I try to go 3 or 4 days a week without any alcohol (more for the sake of my liver than any other reason) and then allow myself a bit more on the other days, which incorporates social occasions very well.

Maybe my total lack of desire for anything sweet is the reason I have been so successful on BSD, both whilst losing and in maintenance, as I now eat anything I fancy (other than the pastry and artisan bread, which I love, and potatoes, rice, pasta etc, which I never particularly liked anyway) just not too much of it. My main problem for the future now, as I see it, is my total (no pun intended) addiction to Total Fage yoghurt!!! I am eating far too much of it – where I used to reach for nuts, I now do a fly-by the fridge and have yet another spoonful of yoghurt, and it invariably doesn’t stop at one spoonful! The dogs have become addicted too, and now expect a spoonful each, every time it comes out of the fridge!! However, this morning I weighed in at my lowest recorded BSD weight yet (110lbs, 7st 12lbs, 49.89kg) which gives me 9lbs wriggle room and is too low, so I really need to up my calorie intake again. You’d think I’d have the balance sussed after 6 months, wouldn’t you?

Anyway, good luck to all who are still trying to lose, I guess I’ve had it very easy, not having a sugar addiction.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Theodora, your post really did “sing” to me today! I’m in exactly
    the same place as you are, at 12 lbs. under target. Now when
    I step on the scale it is with the hope that I haven’t lost more
    weight. I just am not interested in eating more food, are you?
    I haven’t figured out maintenance yet, either, so after 6 months
    it is a work in progress for me, too! Like you, I’ve been spared
    an addiction to sugar so I don’t care about it. When
    thinking about what foods contributed to my grotesque weight
    gain I would have to point to artisanal bread and cheese, plus
    wine. Throughout the 10 months it took to lose 50% of myself
    I completely abstained. Now I can get away with several glasses
    of wine with no ill effect, but that’s no strategy for maintaining
    weight long term, for me! This journey has been about optimal
    health and not just being skinny again, and I don’t think my liver
    needs to get compromised in the process. That would be insane.
    Another observation I have made is that if I do put wine on the
    dinner table I’m far more likely to cruise by the refrig about 11:00pm
    and eat yogurt, so it does mess with 16:8 as well.
    So, I’m right here with you, and we’ll figure this out together 🙂

Wishing everyone a great day!

Allie

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I did well yesterday although I nearly missed my goal – ok I did miss it by 50 calories. I logged everything to find a total of 798 calories but still needed my evening snack to stop the dawn phenomenon and that cost me an extra 50 but still 850 is not too bad. Had lost weight this morning but not enough to get me excited.

Today I have had poached egg with grilled mushrooms, then chicken breast with roasted red pepper salad and tonight I am doing a sausage casserole which makes a total of around 650 cals which gives me room for a snack, again between 50 and 100 cals.

Cant wait to see the photoshoot MnM – I am a bit behind, could you remind me which newspaper so I can watch out for it online.
    Have a good day everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by Wilma Flintstone
    on

Hello everyone,
    I would like to join this challenge. I started the BSD last year and did really well but fell off the wagon this year. I am now at 92.3kg my heaviest weight and I only fit into one pair of pants. My goal for this challenge is to be able to fit in to my other pants again so I don’t have to buy another pair of fat pants for summer. Initially I would like to loose 7kg to fit into said pants but I have 30kg to reach my ideal weight.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Yeah, Allie – I’m with you, sister!

I too have no real interest in increasing my food intake, very happy and feel satisfied on what I am eating already. And, like you, every day when I step on the scales I am just praying for – well not an increase exactly – but certainly not another loss. To stay the same would, of course, be the ideal!

Again, like you, on the days I indulge in alcohol, I am far more likely to do fridge fly-bys at midnight! But I’m not sure that is a successful long term, or healthy, strategy! And, yes, I’d forgotten to mention the cheese! I do so adore cheese!! Good bread, cheese and nuts were my downfall – and even without the bread, I am happy to munch way too much cheese, just on it’s own! Or with nuts for a bit of crunch! Better still, with a glass of good red wine! Better still, with 2 glasses!

I agree, health should be our primary concern, none of us are getting any younger and I had a nasty health scare a few years ago so, when I beat that, I promised myself I would get as fit and healthy as I could for whatever time I have left (hopefully a long, long time), which I have largely achieved. But oh, it is so good being thin too!😉 Come on, admit it Allie – I bet you do a little twirl in front of the full length mirror whenever you pass, just like me😜

I hope the novelty never wears off, because I KNOW we can maintain just as long as we still remember how horrid it was being fat!

PS Allie, maybe we should be having this discussion in our “maintainers” thread – it must be a bit depressing for all those who are desperately trying to lose, to read about us desperately trying to NOT lose!! Sorry, folks.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Haha, YES Theodora, I have those full length mirror moments too 🙂
    First thought is always “who ARE you?”. Second one is “good grief,
    you ARE narrow!” Here’s a little experiment for you to try…I was
    looking at the inside of my wrist the other day, and I could SEE
    my own pulse! In addition to pelvic bones and ribs, this is all
    somewhat of an anatomy lesson, isn’t it???
    I never, ever want to forget how I physically felt in my fat body.
    Blue skies and fair winds ahead. As Esnecca says, NOT -ONE-
    STEP-BACKWARDS!

• posted by Theodora
    on

YES, Allie – I too can SEE my pulse, and I am TOTALLY in love with my clavicles, my ribs, my pelvic bones and, almost most of all, the GAP between my thighs😛

NOT-ONE-STEP-BACKWARDS indeed😊 Thanks Esnecca!

• posted by JackieM
    on

Alliecat – had a mirror moment today in gym. As if I was in front of one of those funfair mirrors that make you look long and thin. Nope, same mirror as usual, it’s me that’s changed! 😁😁😁 by 12.8kg, to be precise 😁😁

• posted by alliecat
    on

Great analogy, Jackie! Thanks for sharing it 🙂 We could probably
    have this conversation all day long! Congratulations on your
    loss. I couldn’t be happier for you. I’m doing another of my virtual
    back flips in your honor 🙂

• posted by Theodora
    on

Well done, Jackie – we’ll have you joining us inveterate mirror twirlers before you know it!😉

• posted by JackieM
    on

😁😁😁 have realised it was because I am wearing my daughter’s jumper today. All my own clothes still fit (now fit properly instead of straining at the seams) which means it isn’t as obvious I’ve lost fat. I would definitely recommend buying/finding some new clothes to people once they’ve reached a milestone, it’s a great boost to see yourself in a new light.

Am now ready to move to weighing myself in stones and lbs, as before it seemed like such a big number, but now only need to get rid of 8llbs to be fully done and mid range BMI. I lost 2 stone following the BSD in 3 months, being kind to myself and lots of Low carb high cal treats like 90% chocolate and double cream when I needed it. Although I did really check with myself whether I needed it, so 98% of time did eat mindfully. I didn’t have that much to lose in grand scheme of things, so I felt that was fine. Interestingly I am now back on all the foods I had at my strictest through choice (spinach/tuna mayo and spring onion for lunch) today. No interest in anything else. Though I did have 4 raspberries not 3 with my Greek yoghurt this morning 😂😂😂

• posted by alliecat
    on

Haha, Jackie! Four raspberries instead of three?? You are a real
    risk taker, aren’t you?? 🙂 I “dare” to allow myself 10, IF they are
    small!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Haha indeed, Jackie – FOUR raspberries!!! You daredevil!!!!!

I tend to have blueberries with my yoghurt – never counted them, but whilst losing, I allowed myself 40 – 50g. Now, being almost as daring as you, I allow myself 60g😜 though I don’t actually weigh these days, just do it by eye! But my yoghurt “allowance” is building by the day – now about 250g!!! Not all at once, between 175 – 200g for brekkie, the rest as snacks. I have been known to have a total blowout and eat 500g in a day – though only since hitting maintenance! As it is all Total Fage (nothing else quite hits the spot), if I go on that way, particularly as the dogs eat it too, I’ll need to take out a mortgage to pay for it!

Jackie, you’ll be joining us on the maintenance thread before you know it – well done, and keep going.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

I LOVE reading about you maintainers and how good it is to be at goal! It inspires me to keep at it!
    Well done to you all!
    Kazzee xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Theodora, you are absolutely correct that our ramblings might be better
    placed on the maintainers thread. The point is well taken, THANKS!
    Absolutely the last thing I would ever want to do is appear “smug”
    for those who are struggling. I just so passionately believe that
    all things are possible with this WOL that my enthusiasm some-
    times gets the better of me! I will always be here to encourage
    and support our friends who are NO DIFFERENT than we are, we
    just may be a little farther down the road. Many thanks to all
    who have indulged my fun today, but I need to stop “messing
    about” on the Nov. threads, and get up off my b**t and try to
    accomplish something productive before the day is out.

Much affection for you all!

Allie

• posted by Theodora
    on

With you, again, Allie.

I too have spent far too much time today sitting at my pc, and indulging myself on this forum! I agree, we don’t want to appear smug, and we certainly don’t FEEL smug – as you say, we are just further along the road. But if we can make others who came to BSD a little later than us realise that it is a road that CAN be travelled whilst still living life’s journey to the full, then maybe we are not wasting our time sitting on our butts having a bit of fun after all – see you over in maintainers, sis (though obviously not until after we have accomplished something productive😉) 😘

• posted by Verano
    on

I’m with Kazzee on this one it’s always inspiring to ‘hear’ the joy in your voices when you ‘talk’ of your achievments and how good you feel now. Don’t just reserve your ‘chats’ for the maintainers thread because you do help others with your enthusiasm and we’d miss out.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

And I love hearing myself quoted as often as possible. So you see we all win! 😆

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

So I have a question for all those who are increasing their fermented food intake — and I know it is probably non-kosher to ask, but does beer count as a fermented food? How about kombucha?
    Thanks for your thoughts!

on

Question for fermented food lovers — does beer count as a fermented food? Does Kombucha count? Thanks for your thoughts!

on

Sorry about double post — I thought the first one got lost!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Beer doesn’t count. It is fermented, of course, but the process of alcoholic fermentation is different and produces different microorganisms than the process of lactic acid fermentation which is what we mean when we talk about kimchi, sauerkraut, pickled vegetables, etc. It’s the latter process that creates hundreds of millions of beneficial probiotic bacteria that do good things for your gut. Ethyl alcohol is a poison that does enough damage to your body even in small quantity that your blood, liver, kidneys have to work hard to repair. Beer is also high in carbs, as you know, and between them, the yeast and the carbon dioxide gas, it does only bad things for your gut.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

I just bought a 3 year old former racehorse off the track and he arrived last night, which gives me even more motivation to lose the weight. I was able to finally get a proper estimate of his weight this morning and he’s a bit smaller than I thought, so I’m sitting at more than 17% of his body weight and I would really like to be under 15% for when I start riding him in earnest. I probably won’t make that goal this month, but heading ever closer and in the right direction can only help matters.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I asked the journalist when it was in and she didn’t know exactly, but it is apparently a series in the Daily Mail FeMail section starting on Saturday and then running Monday to Friday I presume with recipes from a new book. The case studies may well be in this Saturday as they seemed to need the photos and my confirmation of the content of the short interview piece I did over the phone, before tomorrow morning.

The clothes were beautiful, yet nothing like I would have selected for myself, a dark blue floor length Coast dress, with sequinned bodice and filmy floaty outer skirt that made me feel distinctly princess-like, and a dare I say it more ‘matronly’ burgundy style with a higher waistline than I am used to, that looked very distinguished, though less party like. Size 12 in both, though I could I think have easily fitted in the M&S size 10 of the burgundy dress, the Coast was a little tight around the top of my arms. Don’t people who normally wear those dresses have any biceps?

The make up still feels icky (I don’t usually wear it) but looks very nice and glamorous, and I don’t know how she did it but the hair and make up lady finally got my hair to behave!

I am under instructions to buy at least half a dozen of the issue with the picture in so will have to find out myself the hard way I think, and check every day from Saturday onwards.

• posted by Verano
    on

WOW MnM sounds great and you have ‘done great’ ! So looking forward to seeing you in the newspapers! Another marvellous success story …. hope you go from strength to strength.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

I am so excited about this MnM. Congratulations on becoming our ambassador. Once the general public learn of this they will all want to join us. Well done for putting yourself forward. The team are all behind you. Can’t wait to read this article and see how fabulous you look.

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

I’m so excited to see it MixnMatch – well done!

• posted by Pancita
    on

Wow, a model in our ranks! Look forward to seeing the pictures!
    Not much to report about me, mainly on plan eating-wise but realised when I got to the gym that I’d forgotten my running shoes and couldn’t do the class in the silly shoes I was wearing, so no exercise today. And when I think about it, I probably failed on the water too. So I hope for a better day tomorrow.
    Onwards and downwards,
    P xx

on

Thanks Esnecca! So much for my good idea that maybe my post-hiking beer might be good for me! Physically, not great, but as reward for hard hike, really good!
    What about the second one — kombucha?

• posted by Mariet
    on

Looking forward to seeing the pics MnM, well done you! I hope they’ll be in the online version as well.

In the interests of being accountable, I’ve been sticking to the WOE like glue, cals below 800 and carbs below 30, 2-3l water a day. Not enough steps but doing strength training…

300g down and here it is Friday with yet another weekend poised to tempt me into self sabotage! My aim for tonight’s party is to eat before I go and avoid all food there. That’s what I did when I first started BSD and it was perfectly doable, don’t quite know when I eased up on that. Then a potential party on Saturday and possibly sailing on Sunday if the weather holds. Summer definitely makes it more difficult for me, must strengthen my resolve.

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Morning all

-0.4lb so now 134.9lb 😀

This feels good but yesterday evening we had a games eve that we went to as a family. There was food there but it was really no bother to decide not to eat. Made a yummy BSD supper and had it in the oven ready for when I got home.

Well, I ate bread, wine and lots of cheese. I won a chocolate orange and ate half when I got home.

I did it because the old thinking of ‘oh well’ and ‘I’m tired’ were there. It feels like the switch has been flipped and that makes me anxious.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Probably just going to be one picture of me after all that palaver, as it was described as a line up of me and three others, plus the ubiquitous before picture of course. I had a shower last night to remove the make up and hair spray, but went to bed with my hair slightly damp and now my hair is sticking out in weird places. Still it was a definite experience. 10 stone 13.2 this morning, so back into my comfort zone, so trying to keep on keeping on this month to go for that pre-Christmas wiggle room.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Mokovex, just put a line under it, it’s done and move on. One night won’t hurt your progress, it is when that becomes the norm again. Just pull yourself back on the wagon immediately, and keep going. At least you are still here posting.

• posted by Marsie
    on

I’m with Kazz and Verano, we gain immensely from your posts, you maintainers, clever things that you are 👏👏👏

Wow, arcticfox, there’s an incentive toward goal if ever there was one😊. .

Hope you’re also online, Mnm, for we antipodeans. I recall, sometime last year I think, that Captainlynne was in a similar promotion. Are you still here Lynne, hope you’re well?

After OH’s 80th last weekend, we are spending a few days “down south” as we say here, staying in Busselton with a group of friends with the focus on Tuesday being the “race that stops the nation” the Melbourne Cup. Thousands of kms away, doesn’t matter, lunches, parties everywhere, all watching the race on a screen. Great fun. Hopefully I can maintain reasonably well for that time. Cheers all xx

• posted by topcac
    on

Morning al

The last day of a very long and stressful week at work and the plan has basically taken a flying leap out of the window. My boss is being an utter ar*e wipe and when he’s the CEO you know it’s not going to just ‘go away’ I stress eat – I know I do and I don’t know how to stop 🙁

My meals are still BSD friendly but a couple of bags of crisps, some licorice, sweets and more nuts than I should have had have crept in – plus my water intake has dropped. I daren’t weigh myself because I’m frightened that I’ve put weight on rather than lost it.

Still, I am trying to stay positive – boss is away next week, I have the weekend free (apart from chores obvs) so I shall use that time to reconnect with the plan, and give myself a stern talking to.

• posted by jennyfer
    on

Bit late to the party, hubby and I are starting this on Monday for four weeks…I’ve got about 10lbs to lose. It’s giving up the ‘liquid toast’ that is going to be the biggest challenge I think. Hopefully, less calories won’t have an effect on my running but I’ll not know that till Wednesday.

on

Morning, if it is where you are, actually it is just passed midday here. Had another successful diet day with another loss that I am keeping to myself. However, my BG shot up to 145 (8.2) which was quite a shock. I do have a theory about that as I have noticed it happens when I have had a break from the plan and then go really strict. I think my body overreacts to the shock of 800 cals and pumps out glycogen in large amounts, just as it does with the dawn phenomenon, even though I had a small snack before bed. I am sure it will have settled within a couple of days so not going to worry about it.

Weekend coming and I am really determined and we have no social events in the near future – maybe a lunch out next week but I can cope with French lunch, just need to say no to wine with the meal.

Have a good day and keep on keeping on…

• posted by soapbox
    on

Ooh, I am excited to see your photos Mixnmatch – what a star!

Well I finally lost the elusive 1lb to take me to 5stone (70lb) lost!

I had in mind that I would go for a further two stone and stop at around 11. However, all the posts from our fab maintainers is making me wonder whether that would be settling for less than is ideal and I should aim to lose more?

I suspect it will become clearer as I get nearer to that weight and let’s face it: as it took nearly 2 weeks to lose than damned 1lb, it isn’t going to be a question that needs answering any time soon!

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Well that is just flaming awesome soapbox, I hope you are giving yourself a massive pat on the back!! 🎉😊

• posted by alliecat
    on

Wow Wow Wow, soapbox! What a magnificent achievement! Our
    cheerleading contingent will be out in force for you today. Three
    back flips from me! I don’t know how I could have missed your
    previous posts. This way of life is virtually unknown here in the
    States, so I’m very late to the party. I’ve only been on the forums
    for a couple of months, though it seems much longer than that.
    Sometimes I think I talk too much 🙂

Congratulations!

Allie

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

For those who are new on here on page 40 of the ‘Weigh in’ thread is a link to Captainlynne’s story.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3804919/The-amazing-stories-women-lives-transformed-revolutionary-regime.html?login#readerCommentsCommand-message-field.

MixnMatch: I hope you can post a link to your story when it is posted in the paper so I can read your story also.

Soapbox: Congrats on reaching your 70 weight loss. You must be on cloud nine……………

Also congrats on everyone else who is doing so well on this plan.

• posted by alliecat
    on

happyitsworking: I’m just popping in to thank you so much for
    putting this link up. I’ve been wildly curious to see this article
    but had been unable to locate it online. I certainly hope someone
    will provide a link to mixnmatch’s story, as well. I’m in the U.S.,
    so probably not a candidate, but at 10+stone lost, I guess I could
    be 🙂

Many thanks,

Allie

on

Alliecat I was only able to read it because someone posted it for me. I live in the U.S also.

on

Allie I forgot to say you have done wonderful with your weight loss😀

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, happyitsworking. It’s exciting to find another person
    “Stateside”. I had only known of californiagirl and esnecca before.
    It will be great fun to follow your posts! 🙂

on

And of course, referring to the Daily Mail article, our very own Captainlynne is the lady who needed a stick and now walks 6 miles daily. Look for her in the Search, she is still around.

• posted by Eileen27
    on

Hi SueBlue
    Just popped back onto this site after a few months absence. So pleased to have spotted this thread. Can I join too? My start weigh in day will be Sunday 5th. What a day to choose!
    Just caught the end of an item on Welsh News tonight. A woman with diabetes is complaining about advice given to her from Diabetes UK ( or Wales?) telling her to avoid carbohydrates. She did and has become unwell. I think that’s the gist of it. Did anyone else see it? I need to look on their web site and see what it says. The representative from Diabetes said the advice given would have been as it says on their web site. Need to check this out. Surely this WOE wouldn’t have made her ill????

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Welcome Eileen 🙂 I usually weigh in on a Sunday too, as that is the day when I started BSD, and I weigh Tues as well for the challenge thread.
    I’m not sure what is on the Diabetes UK website, and haven’t seen the news item – no surprise there as I’m in New South Wales Australia, not Wales 🙂
    Seriously though, I think it is important to remember that BSD is not NO CARB, it’s low carb. You could even say it’s good carbs. There are plenty of carb foods on BSD – all fruits & veg have carbs, as do dairy foods, chickpeas, lentils and other legumes. We just cut out the “bad” carbs – sugary foods and drinks, the processed white breads, yoghurts with added sugar, as well as carbs that affect blood sugar, like rice, pasta, potatoes etc.
    I eat oats which are relatively high in carbs, however they are low-gi, so slow release carbs.
    Good luck with the challenge and I look forward to seeing your results 🙂

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Well done Allie cat and Soapbox on your impressive losses!

Please log in or register to post a reply.