RE-FOCUS, One Week at a Time, Beginning 10-30

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by alliecat
    on

What happened to October??? Only @ 8 weeks until Christmas! Let’s chase some wiggle room, or build on more
    successes ๐Ÿ™‚ We have a gigantic toolbox to make this happen, and unlimited experience to draw upon….Sign in for
    another week, my lovelies! You can do whatever you put your minds to. Goals and results tomorrow…. ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie

• posted by Natalie
    on

Good morning. I gained weight this week, but at least I am down from the heaviest on Friday. I was a bit lost last week, but Iโ€™m doing better now.

With this threadโ€™s title (date back to front) and the monthly Zoom thread talking about Halloween, you can tell we have a few American members! Howdy!

• posted by GangreneHeart
    on

I’m in the same boat as Natalie – this week was not great for me, but I have been really encouraged by reading everyone’s comments so I want to work hard to get back on track and share in the successes with everyone.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning! Two good weeks followed by a really mediocre one means a slight gain last week. Iโ€™m still here for yet another week! New week, new start, whatโ€™s gone is gone just time to move on! Have a good week everyone.

• posted by Violinist
    on

OK, Alliecat, I am with you!!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Allie. Thank you for setting this up, and for your lovely comments on my BSD “anniversary”. I’m in for this week. My goal is to get back into the elusive 71kilos, by next Tuesday. I am going back to basics. Drinking more water, carbs under 50g, and a couple of 16:8s (missed dinners in my case). I stayed more or less the same last week, which was actually a reasonable outcome. Can’t think why I celebrated my anniversary with a couple of gins and tonic……

• posted by EclecticRajistani
    on

Hi all,
    Good to hear how you are all getting on. I didn’t have a good time of it two weeks ago so I can empathise, but I’ve lost this week. Bringing my total loss to 19 pounds over a 8 week period. So just a pound loss but its better than nothing. Hoping similar or more loss by Christmas! Have to say I almost went to the candy last night but had some blueberries and walnuts instead.

Definitely taking it slowly is helping me. It’s a marathon I remind myself daily! I’ve gone from saying need to lose 5 stone to 3.5stone so that’s good progress. Hard for me to praise myself or my efforts and I feel we are all quick to judge criticise ourselves. But I have to say the support, honesty, knowledge and laughter here with you all is making me change my mindset regarding my body attitude and feelings.

So be kind to yourself. This is a new week time to renew and be good to ourselves!
    Xx

on

I did gain this week. I think sometimes I get frustrated about things and lost that “BSD lifestyle” mentality. I want to work on that this week – cement in my mind that this is not a temporary change, but a permanent decision to be healthy. My goal for the week is to get back where I was before I lost my mind over the weekend.

I also created a workout routine for myself, which I plan to try and tweak over the next few days.
    3 sets of 15, 20 second breaks (exceptions marked)
    Quarter step-up (step-up, knee lift, step-down, Squat, Calf raise)
    25 Jumping jacks
    Sumo Squat and shoulder press
    Crunches
    1 minute Jogging in place
    Ski Squat and bicep curl
    Sit up
    25 Fly jack
    Walking Lunges with dumbbells
    Bicycle crunch
    25 In and out jack
    Side lunge and ventral raise
    Supine toe touch
    25 Long kick left
    Chest press and chest fly
    Russian twist
    25 Front jack
    Kicks and Lateral raise
    30 second Plank
    25 Long kick right
    Wall sit with Tricep extension
    Push up

• posted by alliecat
    on

What a fabulous start for this week! I’m overjoyed to see so many “familiars” here ๐Ÿ™‚

You’ve constructed an inspired exercise routine for yourself, GoodHeart! You must be quite fit already to execute it ๐Ÿ™‚

Caron, a very broad smile crossed my face upon reading about the g+t celebration! I think we retain that childish
    spirit of rebellion regardless of our age. I’ve learned the skill of being able to laugh at myself when I do such things!

Eclectic, thumbs up for keeping the chocolate in the cupboard ๐Ÿ™‚ You only have to do this one day at a time.

Natalie, you are quite right! My American habits shine through, especially when I’m sleep deprived. I should have
    written “Oct 30” instead of 10-30…JGwen has left a truly inspired post for you on the Re-focus OCt 23 thread. I
    hope that you don’t miss it!

Verano and Violinist, I’m glad that you’re both with us!

Have a great day all! The sun is shining, and that’s enough for me ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Allie I’m in this week.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Great, happyitsworking! Tell me how you’re doing, and what’s on your mind for this week ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Natalie
    on

Alliecat thanks for directing me back to JGwenโ€™s answer on the other thread.
    Goodheart that is a lot of exercises!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Natalie,
    The disadvantage of a weekly thread is the disjointed conversations sometimes when moving on from one thread to the next.
    I think with the ‘experts’ it helps to just think about their pronouncements in context with how they earn their living. – So Dr Bikman leads a team of researchers, and his focus on the pure research. – I like his facebook page because he just sends out posts linked to interesting research he comes across. Then you have Professor Longo with the fasting mimicking diet who seems to have started out in a purely academic role focusing on autophagy, but now is the head of a Institute offering very expensive 5 day diet packs the profits from which support the institute. While Dr Fung is running a clinic and is building his recommendations on what he sees working in real life.
    I did wonder why there had not been the long term research into the impacts of following a ketogenic diet until I read one research paper. – The monitoring of the impacts involved 10 people for two weeks staying in a clinic so that the diet could be carefully monitored, having blood tests at regular period of the day and having samples of muscles taken at regular periods of a day. – I can understand why no one would want to do that for a few months at a time.

on

Is anyone doing intermittent fasting along with the 800 diet? I’m interested in knowing the ratio people use. Some, I read, just eat throughout the day, but much smaller meals while others have a set eating window. This week in going to try to do 20:4 just to see how it is.

• posted by caronl
    on

Allie I have tears of laughter in my eyes. Your Halloween story (requoted below from last week’s thread) is hilarious. I’m amazed you didnt’t drop dead from the shock of your husband being in the closet. Wishing you (and all) a candy-free Halloween!

“” My husband had stopped at the store on his way
    home from work to stock up on candy. He came into the bedroom with it, and I asked him to put it somewhere out
    of sight..He proceeded to go downstairs to heat up his dinner, or so I thoughtโ€ฆ.At which point, I got up and immediately
    made my way to the guest room closet (his preferred hiding place). When I opened the door, I found him standing
    there in the dark, asking โ€œLooking for something, Sweetheart?โ€ Caught out!!! That was then, and this is now ๐Ÿ™‚
    Itโ€™s so liberating to be free at last! Resist the candy closet, and enjoy your pumpkin soup !!!”

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh Caron, I’m laughing too! The utter absurdity of it makes we want to execute a virtual cartwheel on the spot! I’m
    glad that you enjoyed it ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

on

๐Ÿ˜น๐Ÿ™ˆ๐ŸŽƒ ๐Ÿ‘ Halloween story Allie. I would have died with fright or laughter! I’ve not had one piece of candy even whilst dishing it out. This is a new turning point for me. My first candy free Halloween ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽƒ

Hi Wendy (from the last week’s post) so good to hear your back! Yep I’m doing it gonna fast next week. Have my green tea, apple cider vinegar, coffee & water ready let’s do this Wendy ๐Ÿ‘ญ feel free to join folks!
    Goodheart, I’m planning on a 24 hour fast so think will have my last meal 6pm then begins my fast! ๐Ÿ˜ฌ Hoping that do one a week and then two a week. Let’s see though..

How’s everyone doing? xx

on

Eclectic, I would like to try a 24h fast. What’s the secret with the whole cidar vinegar.

I don’t celebrate Halloween so I’m only facing the average temptations here. I’d hate to be staring down a bowl full of chocolate.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone. I havent posted for several months but now I really need to get back on track having gained 7kg over this year.Yesterday I went to the gym and started a new more challenging routine.then lastnight I ate several lefftover chocolates which I bought for halloween.I have completely lost the mindset to stay on plan.I know exactly what I need to eat but I have very little determination . So MMs book is back on the table and the food scales are on the bench.
    Im open to any suggestions hopefully joining your weekly thread will help

• posted by KazzUK
    on

I did an impromptu 24 hour. fast yesterday. Mainly because I fell asleep on the sofa, woke up and was too tired to cook so went to bed and straight to sleep! Generally though I do 16:8 every day and once or twice a week, skip dinner. That works well for me Mon-Fri.

• posted by alliecat
    on

A BIG Welcome back, Butterlover! If I was low on motivation or in need of a reboot, I know that rereading some of
    the great books frequently recommended here would be where I would start ๐Ÿ™‚ Revisiting the body of knowledge on
    insulin resistance, and why we’ve embraced this WOL in the first place may be of some help. Gary Taubes book
    “Why We Get Fat…and What To Do About It” would be my first choice. I think it’s great to get after those pesky
    unwanted lbs before the silly season commences, when temptations are everywhere. Of course you can do this…
    A week at a time! You already have all the tools ๐Ÿ™‚ Best,

Allie

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !
    I thought I had psoted on here (from my phone ) but perhaps I am confusing the threads ?? Not to worry.

Halloween came and went unnoticed as we were on the way back from Spain. We had a lovely time.It really recharges the batteries going away for a while. A fire is roaring in the hearth and I am planning my next few weeks. I am thinking of doing another round of BSD with maybe a couple of fasting periods next Week. My week in Spain meant I abandoned OMAD but even though I stayed pretty much low carb I am delaying my weigh in for a few days. I was concerned doing OMAD every day would get my body thinking that it needed to start stock piling ??
    I regularly fast for 24 hours when I am working but I might shake things up a bit. Let me know what you are planning on doing Eclectic ! We can do this ! Well done on your 19 lbs loss !! I was 9 kilos down when we left for the holiday taking me to 14.3 stone. I started at 15 stone 10 . Would love to see 12 stone to start with .

I like your impromptu fast Kazz ! You must have been tired !
    All the best to everyone, newbies and regulars.
    Good to be back among you again ! xx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Welcome back Wendleg! It’s lovely to have you back!
    You too, Buttlerlover. I felt the same for much of this year until Autumn arrived. Have a look at some youtube podcasts – might help re-invigorate your enthusiasm. You have 7 weeks to make a good dent in that 7kg and feel fantastic for Xmas! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Allie – I just can’t imagine the old buzzard hiding in a wardrobe! “SURPRISE”! He did catch you there, but of course, you were only going to have a look and a sniff at the hidden stash, weren’t you! Funny though!
    GHeart – oh my word, fair play to you! That exercise routine would see me off!
    Ok, lunch break over, back to the grind.
    See you all later and enjoy the rest of your day/nights!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All thanks for the lovely welcome.Im feeling good today .wt down 0.5 Kg .I started testing my BGL today.fasting 6.5 .Im not diabetic more insulin resistant.I would like to get it down to below 5 .so Im clesr that I have a lot of work to do..I have another gym session today and Im paying for a private session from an exercise physiologist .She really makes me work So Im .planning on good results.Its amazing how much better I feel with support from this forum thanks.I hope you all have a good day

on

Good morning. I’m down a couple pounds since my last post. What a relief. I guess because of my constant disappointment with diets and such, I’m still a little wary of placing too much hope in this plan. But I want to keep going to see where it will lead me. Honestly, I thought I would die when I first considered BSD, it was less than half the calories I was told I needed before. But I’m not feeling as hungry as I thought and reducing my eating window also has helped with that too.
    I haven’t worked out in like a week though. It’s really hard sometimes to find the time between housework and homeschooling. But I really enjoy going jogging or walking since I can get a break and listen to my music. I also like feeling like the hulk while strength training (I say that, but after a severe accident a few years ago, my muscles are so weak. But I fear loose skin…) losing weight is actually a really stressful experience physically and mentally. I wonder how it will feel to reach my goal.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Goodheart
    If I may can I just say try not to put too much pressure on yourself. You sound apprehensive as if you don’t really believe you can succeed. Course you can ! It shouldn’t be the stressful experience you fear. It will take time to reach your goal but that process is your road to better health and wellbeing.Don’t get hung up on how long it will take, how it wil feel. It will feel great and you will feel revigorated as you progress.
    I don’t go to the gym or do any strength training (I have to refrain from aqua gym and yoga for a few more months after an op in June) but it’s ok .I don’t beat myself up about it. I go for walks โ€ฆ There have been posts about loose skin . It’s not a given โ€ฆthere is research you can investigate concerning autophagy which can help to avoid loose skin.

JGwen talks a lot about finding your ‘why’ ? and it really helps to stay focused.I think this quote came from Jason Fung
    “Remember your why. Health, weight loss, freedom. Fitting into old clothes. Looking fabulous in new ones. Getting off medications. Living a long life for your children and grandchildren. Nothing dulls the hunger pangs faster than remembering the amazing benefits youโ€™re getting from this lifestyle.”

I think you are doing great Goodheart !

• posted by alliecat
    on

A great late afternoon to everyone! I hope you are all feeling strong as we head into the weekend, and any
    left over Halloween candy has been banished from the house ๐Ÿ™‚ When I was a child, my Father used to insist
    that our spoils from trick or treating be left in the kitchen overnight. At the time, I just accepted that he didn’t
    want to witness any “sugar highs” at bedtime. In reality, he would rummage through our bags, and snitch an
    assortment of treats to eat himself! One year he bit into a hard candy and broke his tooth, which required an
    emergency trip to the dentist as well as a bill for a crown…I thought at the time it was just punishment for
    filching from my bag ๐Ÿ™‚

GoodHeart, I agree with Wendy. Try to view this journey and the successes it affords in terms of “when”
    rather than “if” it happens. Comparing your results to others is a joyless pursuit, for how each of our bodies
    work is totally unique to us. Between us we have all manner of tricks and tweaks to right the boat if needed ๐Ÿ™‚
    I believe in you, so practice believing in yourself ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ It WILL happen!

Allie

• posted by Violinist
    on

Allie, you are making me laugh down here n Florida!

• posted by alliecat
    on

THAT makes me ๐Ÿ™‚ Violinist! I’m as committed to sustaining this lifestyle as it gets, but laughing along the
    way has decided benefits..It releases endorphins, a natural opiate in the brain, so why should we miss out on
    a natural high? Have a great weekend!

on

Hi Goodheart,

Congrats on the loss, well done that’s all down to you. Keep going we are all here to support you. I can empathise with your feeling I was emoting something similar about a month ago ask the experienced BSD experts here. It seems like such a massive mountain that your climbing that end elusive goal. The thought of that weighed negatively on me just like my body weight. My shame, anger at myself for getting like that. I almost gave up but I came back on the support group and I said all of the above and guess what I’m still here and so are you. I implore you to read Fungs & Taubs books or listen to their podcasts. The beating yourself up being too hard on you will change. The reasons why we got here is not what we have been led to believe. And how and why (JGwen is on point with this) we move on from this is also looked at too. Also see this is as a marathon not a sprint it’s more realistic to see this as not a fad diet but a game changer ain’t never gonna eat like we did before. So new habits take time to form.

I also posted incorrectly on the last week’s thread re cardio exercise have a read and see what you think? Focus on the diet for now you sound like you have lots on and reckon that’s enough. I burnt out with all the gym stuff, three children, new way of eating thinking, applying for teaching stuff, writing. So just do what you can and be kind to yourself.

I have lost another 2 pounds so finally down to 13 stone! I’m taking it in half a stone, 7 pounds steps. So next mini goal 12.7 here I go. Wendy I’m gonna fast on Monday. My first day in a classroom for three years. So ๐Ÿคž on both fronts.

Allie my hubby made a lovely pumpkin paprika soup so that was my candy this Halloween and there’s a load in the fridge so ๐Ÿ‘BSD leftovers for me! Have a wonderful weekend and I’m looking forward to the next 8 weeks with all you lovely beings ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿค—

• posted by wendleg
    on

That’s great news Eclectic ! Well done you ! You are a great example of someone who did not give up . I hope to be in the 13s but I have only just descended into the 14 stone bracket so it will be a while.

I’m back to school on Monday too and I will be thinking of you . What level are you teaching ? My pupils are aged 11 to 15. Good luck with it all , you’ll be great !
    Are you fasting all day Monday and doing OMAD ? I will be doing OMAD, just eating dinner on Monday . It’s easier when I am away from home.

Have a great weekend everyone !
    Wendy x

• posted by wendleg
    on

Morning everyone !
    I just posted on the Positives thread but reporting here … I am happy to say there was no damage done on my Week in Spain despite all my Starbucks Americanos with whipped cream ๐Ÿ˜‰ Difficult to understand sometimes the impact of calories while eating low carb ?? I am still a bit confused about that.
    Back to my working routine tomorrow.I am doing OMAD Eclectic …ie eating my evening meal on Monday but I have decided I will mix up my ‘strategy’ for the rest of the Week.
    Hope everyone is ok. I had fond thoughts of Bonfire Night last night. Very much part of my childhood. I remember walking to school and kicking through the leaves and finding lots of used rockets and other fireworks !

Have a great Sunday everyone xxx

on

Hi Wendy,
    Wow so good to hear that you managed your holiday so well! Proves it can be done! I know I feel the same with my coffee and cream today but it really works! ๐Ÿ˜ฌ Yesterday and today I’ve done OMAD. So some spontaneous fasting done! my body just seemed to want to do it, so went with it. Will see how I fair tomm. Will take my green tea and coffee tomorrow. I’m observing for a couple of weeks and then will teach. 11-18 year olds quite like this age group they keep me on my toes. Thank you for your kind wishes and hope you have a good teaching week too, what and how long have you taught for?

Re 14s you can do it! I used Atkins when I didn’t know about BSD or low carb and that shifted some of it and then I couldn’t continue.
    I’m just gonna do mini goals and I’m in this with you all. This weight is gonna take time to shift but we can do this together, all of us. How’s it going everyone?

I love this time of the year in blighty.
    Have a good week folks ๐Ÿ˜˜

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m reading about some fantastic late week successes here, and I’m standing up and clapping for one and
    all ๐Ÿ™‚ Eclectic, great work resisting the candy!!! Proud of you ๐Ÿ™‚ Would you consider sharing your pumpkin soup
    over on Verano’s soup thread? It sounds intriguing…
    Wendy, now THAT’S how to kill a vacation, while fulling engaging in the local culture of food. It must have
    taken some strength of will to walk past the fresh fruit, but you did it!!!
    Both of you lovelies are back in the classroom this week. Have a great one! You’re my OMAD twins ๐Ÿ™‚ xxx

on

Hi Allie,

Thank you, I did three fasts OMAD. Third day today was by far the longest, yesterday I ate at 3.30pm & then nothing till tonight at 9pm. I’m back to 800 spread over two meals from tomorrow though! ๐Ÿ˜… Reading Fung & your words of support has created seismic shifts in my relationship to food & my body.
    Thank you ๐Ÿ˜˜

Wendy, being busy was the key to it for me. Painting the bedroom & being in the classroom today was fab. Going to the old bailey tomorrow Not guilty ๐Ÿ‘ฎ๐Ÿ™ˆ, it’s for a school trip as topic is crime & deviance. I’m gonna try & make Fasting a day or two as part of my week now. But will change which days every week ๐Ÿคžhow was your fast?

Just posted soup recipe it’s a BBC one. My husband changed all the non BSD ingredients to friendly ones and I must say it’s ๐Ÿ˜‹ hearty, warming & filling. Will be looking to make some of the other soups on that thread.

How is everyone else’s week starting out?
    Allie how’s maintenance going? Xx

on

Eclectic, I am focusing on just sticking to my diet right now, but I do want to workout soon. It is like a break in my day and my time to relax.

I experienced a gain due to eating the wrong things and it frustrated me. Today I finished a 24 hour fast and for dinner, I’m eating everything but soup, still on track calorie wise though.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning! Well I have ended this week with no loss but no gain! That is success in my mind because itโ€™s been a difficult week one way and another.
    Not sure if Allie is still having computer difficulties so I wii start the new thread for her.
    Hope everyond had a good week and you are all ready for week 3 of refocusing.

• posted by caronl
    on

I started so I’ll finish… but nothing much to report! I keep bumping along in the 72 kilos – now 72.5 – with the occasional fright if I see 73! I suppose this thread is keeping me on maintaining, but I am still not back in the 71s. Over to the next thread and thank you Verano!

Please log in or register to post a reply.