Raised morning blood sugars

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Grumpy guts
    on

Hi, am I being a bit too over sensitive about my morning blood sugars? I wake up, go and make my wife a coffee and return to bed, about ten minutes later I do my blood test and it reads between 110 to115, I have tried eating later in the evening, and have even tried a drop of alcohol but to no avail, is this blood reading okay for the morning, I am 115 to 120 in the evening (1.5 to 2 hrs after eating) I Was 233lbs (106 kg) and have lost 18 kilos in 7 weeks so weight loss has been good, just want to know if blood sugars are okay too or am I just being over sensitive?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Grumpy guts, you should be having a very small snack before bed to prevent the Dawn Phenomenon (google or search this site). Alcohol will raise or lower your blood sugar. I don’t understand your numbers, are they high – I use a different measure, what scale are you using, if you are using mmol/mm then your readings are perfect. Are you worried because they are low to you. You will need to explain more. Well done on the weight loss.

• posted by Grumpy guts
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl
    Thanks for your reply, I am using mg/dl my readings convert to 6.1 (110) to 6.4 (115) on the mmol/mm scale but in all the literature I have read my readings are still too high, diabetes uk states 4.0 to 5.9 to be ‘normal’ (72 to 106), I don’t seem to be able to get into the normal range, should I wait longer in the morning before I take my blood or should I do it as usual 10 minutes after waking and making my wife’s coffee? Any suggestions from anyone greatly received.

on

As mentioned above, try having a small BSD friendly snack before you go to bed. In my view it just means you are probably still diabetic but well within the area of being in control but still subject to the ups and downs of blood glucose. Maybe you have more weight to lose and need to give the diet more time. Like me, still diabetic but getting there.

• posted by Grumpy guts
    on

Good morning sunshine girl,
    Success! I have tried snacks etc as you suggested, however I have found that if I do my blood one hour after getting up, ( before breakfast)my bloods are in the normal range! I have done this three times now and all normal readings (2 x 88 mg/ dl and 90 mg/ ml). Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.

on

As long as you test before you eat and drink, I never even thought you might get up and not eat until an hour later, I struggle just getting up.

Please log in or register to post a reply.