R1W1D1 Tomorrow Monday 20th March 2017 126 Kg

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KiwiMike
    on

Hi All
    Mike here, I start tomorrow, whilst I have 40Kgs to go to 90Kgs as a Goal weight, I’m doing it by Rounds (12wks) to the end of next year.
    I’m 58, Had a stent a month ago, T2 for years, so Angiogram and Plasty have been a bit of a reset.
    I’m enjoying 3X wk Rehab (wk3) and just started Pilates last Friday, (it was v hard)

I’m using 800 cal Diet to get rid of the T2 by scorching the fat, that’s my aim, just hope the genes make me part of the 40%, My future picture (start with the end in mind) is a hard me (like in 30’s).
    Been eating 1100-1700 for past 2 wks, no alcohol and limited exercise as they’ve got me up to speed, lost 1 kg a week over last month.
    So I’m excited about 800 Cal and Fitness plan.

Thought I’d do a 5 day fitness regime to fit around work and gym and make weekends more flexible/fun, my exercise is planned around Mon-Fri too.
    As I start the day with the Blue book “7 minutes routine” across the road in the park, (Makes sure I get up and get going M-F).
    My Cardiac rehab is 5.30 Tues & Thurs Evenings and Pilates will be Mon & Fri lunchtimes. So Weds can be a recovery along with either of Sat or Sun. (long walk with dog).
    I’m thinking of 3 planks to it, Strength, Fitness/Resilience and Suppleness for the future for us both. (Wife’s doing 7 minutes and Pilates too).
    Plus we’re going to finally take up dancing after our Melbourne trip at beginning of April. (Can’t wait to lose more weight as the tum gets in the way ๐Ÿ™‚

Using 8WBSD recipe Book to start, but have other books if get bored. We like food and entertaining, so that’s going to be a good challenge with guests. (might even have some converts:-).
    Wife changing to Mediteranean style but not 800 cal, she has a goal too, which I’m looking to help her get too.
    That way after RD1 I thought we could 5:2 or me 2:5 ๐Ÿ™‚ or me have a break at 1200-1500 cal Mon-Fri. before RD2.

Will post my weeklies if that ok?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Wow, Mike, you are loaded for bear. Having a plan is more than half the battle and you clearly have one. It’s great that you and your wife and on the same page and that you both enjoy cooking. The BSD is much harder, I think, for people who weren’t in the habit of cooking much for themselves, or who have relied on high-carb shortcut foods because they require so much less prep than fresh veg.

Measure, weighing and calculating everything you eat is essential to ensuring you stay within daily calorie and carb limits. Have your determined what your maximum daily carbs will be, by the way? Dr. Mosley doesn’t specify a precise figure in the book. Many people on the forum go for a 50 gram carb limit per day. I keep to 20 grams or below because I have a long history of insulin resistance. You might want to aim fairly low given your years of T2D.

I use My Fitness Pal (http://www.myfitnesspal.com) to plan and log everything I eat. That way I can easily play around with different food options without having to do any math by hand.

Welcome to the BSD party and best of luck to you! Oh, and of course it’s okay for you to post your weekly results. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by DebT
    on

Good luck KiwiMike! I also am new to the BSD and this forum. I am on week 3. Trying not to weigh myself everyday as I swear it interferes with my weight loss.. Anyway all the best!

• posted by KiwiMike
    on

hi Esnecca
    I haven’t even thought about my Carbs. Thank you.
    I’m only intending to eat mediteranean diet style so very little hard carbs, but will think on that. Potatoes,rice,pasta,bread are out.
    Is there anything you would advise?

As it’s only 800 calories I just thought I would cook the recipes from the book staying under the limit.
    My wife’s not doing it, but counting calories.(got 10kg to lose) so she’ll get the same dish plus extra veggies and a small potato or pasta.
    We worked out our BMI, BMR waist and Fat % so know what we need to do to stay under.

I’ve logged into MyFitnesspal already, a lovely mate came around and clued me in to it after my stent.
    So all set there too, I have been keeping as health diary with input and output plus BP, Bloods,Pulse,Meds so to keep track.
    eating 1100-1700 (one day) I’ve lost 1kg a week (probably by deleting snacking).

My exercise physiologist is very supportive and the cardiologist essentially said to me, “if you don’t lose weight in 6 months you are having bariatric surgery”!
    So it’s all on.

I think the diet regime is probably 80% of it and the exercise 20%, I am intending to get hard. because in doing that I will be aerobically fit and strong, we’ve added Pilates in as its a mixture of Yoga and Pilates with Exercise and as we’re both 58 we think this is a good thing for us to do together for the next 20yrs with Dancing..

Eating out today I had a greek salad and a small chicken kebab, tonight same and Lamb both about 100g.
    From tomorrow everything gets measured exactly…

I feel enabled and invigorated as we have a plan that has worked for hundreds of others like me.
    Appreciate the encouragement. Mike

• posted by KiwiMike
    on

Thanks DebT
    I’m only going to weigh myself on Fridays, But I’m weighed on Tues and Thurs at Cardiac rehab with BP, Pulse and calories burned, so theres a record if I need.
    Best
    Mike

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Kiwimike, that is what I did, as long as I stay away from the bad carbs and stick to 800 cals i dont bother counting other carbs. I followed the 4 week menu plan in the book and lost over a stone in the 4 weeks. Also hubby is the same as your wife, no really needing to lose weight and no major health problems, he has the odd potato or rice with a meal but quite often now says not to bother.

• posted by kiwimatt
    on

Hi kiwimike – kiwimatt here.. i’m starting today as well, aiming for light to moderate exercise most days , 800cal with 20-30 g carbs.. will modify exercise by how much energy i have… 47 yrs old and 96kg. will be more than happy with 8kg loss over 8 weeks, any more is a bonus.
    Going to weigh in each monday morning. Bit nervous about how only 800cal a day is going to go, but been reading these forums and such a wealth of information…. thanks everyone who posts. I have brought the cookbook so that should help.

best of luck to a fellow kiwi!

• posted by KiwiMike
    on

Cheers Sunshine-girl
    My blds have been 5.6-13 over the past three days.
    Really hoping they come right and are steady as the liver/pancreas clears.
    If they don’t come right, I’ll look at chopping the Carbs as Senecca suggested.
    Looking at Carol’s sandwich, bit of banna cake, apple and banana for work makes hungry.
    But I’ve got to wait to 10am as I’m going to try eating in an 8hr window.
    we’ll see.
    The great thing is there’s no rigidity apart from 800 cals, so I can try some tweaks if need be.

have a great day
    Mike

• posted by KiwiMike
    on

Thanks KiwMatt

Do let me know how the carbs go.
    I get weighed at Rehab Tues and Thurs.
    Some days I’ve only done 1100 cals and they’ve been fine.
    Dropping to 800 is goign to be different.
    I’ve bought some Metamucil to have a spoon in am or pm if I need it for filler.
    Already been warned to have a small snack (milk or sliver cheese) just before bed.

we’ll see, there might be tweaks but it is going to happen.
    The variable will be the weight lost.
    Cheers mate have a good week.
    Mike

• posted by kiwimatt
    on

Hey Mike…
    so end of week 1 lost 2.3 Kg think thats 5 pounds on the old scale…. kept to 800cal +- 50 each day and carbs to 30 with sugar less than 10 each day.
    I found low to moderate exericse ok, brisk walking up hills etc but did 1 spinn class that hurt a bit more than normal. did a few weights sessions and still managed to throw a bit of weight around but was failing more on the last few reps of the heavier weights… i went to the gym 3 times. low cals,carb and sugar definitely are affecting the more intense exercises, i will see how that goes over the next few weeks. I am recording my bodyfat and muscle mass percentages each week as well as i am interested in seeing how they change, and how much muscle i am losing as part of my weight loss. with daily calories so low it will be very hard not to lose muscle as well.

How did you go this week?
    how are you finding the drop down to 800cal from 1100? i dropped from around 2800+ so its been a bit brutal but getting used to it.
    also… hows the metamucil? might be nice to have something to and bulk and feel full occasionally.. i have been having light soups to feel full this last week – ones with only 25 cal per serve but still fill the gap occasionally.

you mentioned my fitness pal i have used that faithfully all week but its annoying when i go to close out each day and it pops up a message that it wont tell be my projected progress as i have not eaten enough for the day. be nice if they could cater for VLCD’s.

• posted by KiwiMike
    on

Hi KiwiMatt.

I only lost 1kg this week.
    Today was 125KG at weighing.

Need to measure everything carefully each meal, before cooking, (sight doesn’t work)…
    Have been 1000 +/_ all week as didn’t on rechecking.
    My Bad, wife on board with BMR and calc calories (thats showed my guesstimates up).

R Knee has curtailed the morning exercises as einar.
    walking the dog slowed right down. (he doesn’t mind as gets more sniffs).
    Cardiac rehab Tues/Thurs is going good, knee hurts but push through.
    Going harder.
    Pilates is hurting my core, so something happening there.
    Away to Melbourne tomorrow.
    13 days away.

Metamucil tablets will be my friend I think.

• posted by KiwiMike
    on

Just realised it’s worse than 1 kg, put on 1 kg this week.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi KiwiMike
    My guesstimates were wildly inaccurate also – the moment I started weighing the weight just started dropping off. I also found that I had to log everything on fat secret otherwise I would really underestimate my food intake.

Have maintained weight loss since beginning of December but still weigh and log everything because it works for me and is so easy to do. I am still slightly in shock that this way of eating really does work and that I have kept the weight off.

• posted by kiwimatt
    on

that weighing is important for me as well, I never guess anywhere right!.. lucky your wife is on the ball with the calorie counting.

enjoy Melbourne – unfortunately there are SO many good restaurants and cafe’s there… just don’t beat yourself up if you head home and realise you enjoyed yourself a bit much…

hope that knee comes right for you…
    cheers
    Matt

Please log in or register to post a reply.