Question about 'net carbs'

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by shellster
    on

Hi, all.

I’m not diabetic (that I know of!). I am doing the BSD to lose weight and get my health in order.

I understand the ‘under 50g carbs’ advice (and I understand it’s not in the BSD diet itself). I have read messages in the forums saying that, if you’re in Britain, you should subtract fibre from your carb count to get your ‘net carbs’. Why only in Britain? Are carbs counted differently elsewhere? (I’m in New Zealand).

Thanks in advance – am really impressed with the friendly help everyone seems to give and get on these forums!

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Subtract fibre from carb count wow this gets complex,I’m following the diet and myfitnesspal app says I’m having around 50g carbs is this correct
    Alan in uk

• posted by neohdiver
    on

Shellster – I believe you have it backwards. I’m pretty sure the UK the fiber has already been subtracted. (I know in the US it has not been – different labeling standards.) No idea about New Zealand

• posted by shellster
    on

Got it now – thanks! In Aus and NZ it’s already been deducted.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Alanhypno
    neohdiver is correct. In UK & EU the carbs on the package are all you need to count. Fibre & sugars are listed separately. Simples!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Shellster
    In Britain we re given carbs net in info on labels etc. In US they don’t. So in US if a label or site says something has 14 g carb and 5 g fibre, the relevant carbs ie what you can absorb, is 9 g. In Britain you will be told 9 g carb, 5 g fibre.
    So you only need think about this if you look on a US site for info eg Calorieking.com.
    Penny

• posted by Funkydoofamily
    on

If something says e.g ’47g carbs per 100g, of which sugars, 3g’ is that a better option than ’47g carbs of which 45g sugars’? The split in carbs confuses me!! Sorry to jump on the thread!

Please log in or register to post a reply.