Question about exercise

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Olly
    on

Hi there,

So I’m starting the diet on Monday and have a query about exercise.

I’ve recently started going to the gym with my friend (we’re both trying to lose weight) and I’m unsure whether I can continue doing the same routine I have been doing.

We do a 10 minute warm up on the treadmill (slightly fast paced walk) then 40 minutes on a cross trainer (hill interval setting) and then a 10 minute cool down on the treadmill. On average, we burn 400 calories and do this 5 times a week.

My concern is that I will be burning half of my daily calories. Should I just see how I go? Start at a lower intensity and go from there?

Any advice would be appreciated.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I think from my understanding of what Dr Mosley says in the book, he is in favour of keeping exercise in your regime. I take your point about the maths and agree with you, it does mean your actual calorie count for those days is super low.
    How are you measuring your calorie burn? If you are using the counter on the cross trainer at the gym, I wouldn’t put too much store by its accuracy (tell me to butt out if I am out of line but I have spent a lot of time in gyms and the equipment puts a very rosey glow on calorie counts).
    Perhaps you could keep everything as normal for this week and see how the exercise makes you feel. If you feel like you have no energy for exercise, then add a few more calories on these days. But you may feel fine. Just keep up your protein intake as you don’t want to lose your muscle mass.

• posted by Olly
    on

Yeah I’m just going by what the machines are saying.

I’ll see how I go and if I feel drained, like you suggest I’ll add extra calories on those days.

Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated 🙂

• posted by Janet1973
    on

No problem Olly. The machines do tend to exaggerate calories burned for obvious reasons. I’m just starting the diet myself tomorrow. I have been waiting for my blood sugar testing kit to arrive, which it has done today (yay!) so I have done three meal plans for over the weekend and am really excited to see if it works for me as well as it has for other people.

Wishing you every success!

Please log in or register to post a reply.