Question about counting carbs

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by FranFal
    on

I am using MFP to track what I eat each day. I have set my Carb/Protein/Fat to 25/40/35 %, equating to 50g carbs. MFP records carbs including fibre, should I be deducting the fibre count to give me net carbs?

• posted by LACali21
    on

Hi FranFal,

Unlike other diets, we don’t count the net carbs on BSD but the actual carbs. So leaving the carb counter at 50 on MFP is perfect. ๐Ÿ™‚

This forum – How many carbs in the Welcome to BSD area may help you further. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by FranFal
    on

Thank you LACal21, I will look at the thread you recommended.

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Oh I didn’t realise you could set MFP to do that! I just count calories and just see how many carbs there are at the end. I’m obviously not at all technical!!

Bean :-0

• posted by FranFal
    on

You need to be logged on through a computer rather than a phone to make the changes, it’s easy to do though.

• posted by Nursebean
    on

Oh that’s probably where I go wrong. I only really use it on my iPad. I’ll have a go – and see what happens!! Feel a bit nervous, though – there’s no hiding my carbs now!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bean xx

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi LACAL! ..i still havent read the book properly to my shame,tho i bought it weeks ago!
    and i had no idea of the difference between net/actual carbs
    Have just read online that ” carbs are simply the grams of total carbohydrates in a portion of food minus its grams of fiber. Because fiber is a carbohydrate that your body cannot digest, it does not raise your blood sugar levels or trigger an insulin response.”
    So i’ m wondering why BSD includes it ( cant rifle thru my book as at DDs and book at home) xx

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

In the UK, carb numbers on packaging are NET. So you should just use the carb count shown.
    in the US, carbs are shown INCLUDING fibre – so to get the NET carb figure, you subtract the fibre to get the carb count you need.

Hope that helps!

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Oh IGOR thanks for that xx

• posted by SancyH
    on

Hi
    A newbie here and not having too much success!
    What is MFP?
    I’m using spark people at the mo but MFP sounds good. Might show me where I am going wrong!
    Thanks

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

HI SANCY x welcome!
    MFP stands for my fitness pal..many people use it here to track weight,carbs,cals etc daily
    I dont use it coz i kept getting messages asking me to upgrade to a paid version.Which i wdnt mind if there was a “No thanks” option button but there isnt and when i click the X in the corner to close it, it goes but reappears a moment later ! Gahhhh!
    I use mynetdiary which does all i want..i.e., tells me how many cals,carbs i ve had,plus my protein fat,calcium,sodium..gives me a daily highlight of whats been good/ not so good in my diet..shows me on a graph how my weight is coming down. Colourful too which appeals to my childish side! X
    Whichever you choose,you will find useful as they do the hard work of working out carbs etc for you xx

• posted by SancyH
    on

Thanks, Yowzer. Will give it a go and hopefully see where I am going wrong!

• posted by LACali21
    on

I guess your carb counts on the nutritional info is different in the UK than in Canada, sorry. I’ve been keeping my actual carbs under 50, not my net carbs. It seems very high to have your net carbs as high as 50.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Yowzer – that’s interesting – I haven’t had a single upgrade message from MFP even when I tried to start exporting data (which is a paid for privilege!)

I did get irritated my pop up ads, but I’ve largely learned to dodge those now

Now that I’ve entered ten weeks of data, I did find myself wishing I’d stuck to my original spreadsheet though!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Maybe if i tried again FROG it would be ok but i tried twice ….it was soooo annoying specially as there was nowhere to say,No Thanks to an update. Mynetdiary will do for now x mmm yr pancakes Frog! Making me hungry! X

Please log in or register to post a reply.