Progress report – bit disappointing

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

Started the BSD on the 24th January so today is the last day of the eight weeks, The good news is that my weight has gone down from 13-9 (191 lbs, 86.3 kg) to 12-12 (180 lbs, 81.4 kg) and my waist measurement from 40” to 37”. My BMI has dropped from 25.9 – marginally overweight – to 24.4, marginally not overweight.
    That’s where the good news ends. My FBG started at 7.3 and started to drop down to under 6, but the latest reading is back up to 6.7. The readings have fluctuated over the period – the lowest was 5.0 eleven days ago, but since then it is edging up again, and whilst the overall trend has been down, it is a pretty slow reduction and given the last three readings have been showing an upward trend, this is very disappointing.
    I have averaged 731 calories over the eight weeks, 34g of fat, 41 g of carbs excluding sugars, and 16g of sugar – including both natural and processed. To be honest, I am at a loss to see what more I can do.
    Mike

• posted by SunnyB
    on

But none of that detracts from the fact that overall, you are in a better position than you were at the beginning of the process, Michael. And it might be tough to accept, but for some of us progress is much slower than for others – I’m in that club too. The bounce back on the FBG is already documented on other threads and is common, but if you persist, it will drop back again and continue to fall.

Sorry you aren’t thrilled with your results, but they are nonetheless a positive achievement, so celebrate , you made it through the eight weeks and deserve to be proud of your success.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Michael
    I believe your carbs and sugars are too high and your calories are too low.
    Increase your fats a bit and get rid of the sugars other than what you find in berries and limit those. You really should not be having added sugar in anything as that is what is going to affect your blood sugar and insulin levels.
    If you are particularly insulin resistant, you may need to reduce your total carbs to 20g per day to get better blood sugar results.
    May I suggest you subscribe to Keto Talk with Jimmy Moore and Doc Adam Nally:
    https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/keto-talk-with-jimmy-moore-the-doc/id1071990583?mt=2&i=1000382710472
    ..and this one by the 2keto dudes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/2-keto-dudes/id1086736152?mt=2&i=1000371453019
    Both are very informative. I listen to lots more along a similar vein, but these two would be good to start with.
    Let us know how you go.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Where is the processed sugar coming from?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

the way I see it, you are not and were not overweight so did not have a lot to lose, just a few pounds to make your weight ideal. As for the BG that is easily explained as we have ups and downs along the way, you have not been diagnosed as diabetic (according to your profile) so daily fluctuations should not mean very much. My husband is not diabetic but can have higher readings than mine at various times during the day also my BG comes down much quicker than his after meals, probably because he has a sandwich for lunch and I have BSD friendly food. 41grams of carbs is close to the top of what most of us have and somewhere you are having an extra 16 grams of sugar so not really fully BSD. That doesn’t matter I just means things happen slower.

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

Can’t see how my calories are too low when they average out at 91% of the 800 advised maximum, and to be honest have on several days gone over the 800 – worst day (mathematical error on my part) ended up at 1000. The processed sugar comes in yoghurt – about 4g of processed sugar – i have yoghurt on average 4-5 times a week.The rest of the sugar is berries (but not a lot and I have reduced them because they have so much sugar in them) and greenery and the milk in tea – cut down a lot on tea as well. I am assuming hat although natural sugar is ‘better’ than processed sugar, at teh end of the day they are all sugar.
    I do try to reduce the carbs – but there are precious few foods that, to my mind, offer enough energy that aren’t also high in carbs. I haven’t touched bread, pasta, potatoes, rice since the 1st of January. Loading up on very low carb item shoots up the total calorie intake – and there’s only 800 to play with. Forgot to say that I am averaging 60g of protein, 10g of fibre (would like more fibre but anything high in fibre seems to also be invariably high in carbs)
    Linda – thanks for the links, I’ll have a look.
    Thanks for the encouragement, folks. I will perservere – it’s too important to me not to, but I’ll have a bit of a break from 800; not yet decided on the next step and reckon I will probably have to revert to 800 fairly soon.
    Mike

Please log in or register to post a reply.