Pre-menstrual cravings

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Future Martian
    on

Hello all,
    This is my 5th attempt at the Fast 800.
    I usually find the first 2 – 3 weeks are great and I even managed 5 weeks once! However, I usually get derailed in the week before my period. No matter what I try I end up craving, and eventually giving in to, crisps and chocolate – mainly the latter.
    I’ve tried eating more non-refined carbs, eating more protein, eating more good fats, exercising more. I’m not keen on dark chocolate but I’ve even given that a go.
    Can anyone offer any ideas as to what I can do to prevent the cravings or to diminish them?
    Thanks! FM

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi FM, I can’t speak from experience since I started BSD after the menopause. But googling suggests that some supplements may help – B6, calcium and magnesium. Have you done any research on whether something like that might help? Wishing you lots of success.

• posted by Seashellsash
    on

Hello there, me I would love some help, I’ve just started the diet, 3 days in, I’m so worried about the cravings too…as I just give in. I feel the cravings starting, as I ate a spoon of jelly & a spoon of cake this evening. Any advice would be great & well appreciated.
    Thanks
    SA

• posted by yasomo
    on

Oh my gosh, I am SO glad you posted. I am on day 1 of my period and my third week of attempting at 800 kcals per day has just gone out of the window. I have managed to do it more or less mon – thursday this week, but totally cracked at 8pm – I’ve had chocolate, crackers, almonds…just gone completely out of the window! I honestly think that we need to be kind to ourselves particularly during this time of the month…I’m going to get back on it tomorrow…I’m strongly considering kicking off doing 800kcals 5 days a week and 2 days low carb med, because something is clearly not working!

As for ideas to curb cravings…before I caved in a bought a really nice bubble bath soap and was just going to sip a mug of highlights low cal hot chocolate in the bath with a candle burning – that usually does the trick when I’m feeling intense stress.

on

Hi Seashellsash.
    I’m glad I’m not the only one! I’ve Googled and read all I can online, but I haven’t found anything that seems to hit the mark.
    I get so hungry the week before my period and I want to eat everything! I have read that bodies may need extra energy the week before, but I haven’t found anything that tells you how to stop!
    Well done for only having a spoonful of jelly and cake. FM

on

Hi Yasomo.
    Yeah, it’s tough. I think you’re right that we need to be kinder to ourselves at times.
    I’ll see what happens this time and try to stick to at least the healthier foods, even if it I eat more of them than 800 calories!
    Good luck!

• posted by Seashellsash
    on

Hi guys, reading all your comments, omg! It’s super difficult when on periods, even if you slip up a bit, yep! Just be kind to yourself & try & get back on the wagon. I’m 3 rd day into my period, I so wanted to eat everything, however, I self talked & said no! No self sabotage…so instead of stuffing myself & feeling sorry for myself & telling myself it’s ok, you a woman you have your periods so you allowed to eat anything & everything, I said no, no stuffing, so over the 3 days, I ate a piece dark chocolate, a few hazelnuts, drank tea, coffee with a piece of dark chocolate in it, had a few chips, 1 tsp jelly, 1 tsp ice cream, just so I don’t completely go off the wagon. I have a few more days to go now, & all that’s on my mind is I want chocolate, bread & cake, but I’m not going to self sabotage my week of being good on this diet so far. I understand everyone’s pain… don’t give in! We can do this. Ash

Please log in or register to post a reply.