Portion sizes

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bodder42
    on

I’m baffled about my wrong doings here.. I find intermittent fasting 16:8 which keeps me focused.. I’m vegetarian so always aware of my protein intake and overall it looks good on paper.

My issue is getting the right amount of calories each day trying to maintain a low carb intake, I aim for about 25/30g daily.
    What does a daily menu look like to achieve this? I’ve no confidence here but feel well informed about nutrition and meat and fish substitutes.
    I eat protein powder drinks with flaxseeds etc..
    where am I going wrong?

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi Bodder

I eat vegetarian sometimes, and today I am

My menu today looks like

Breakfast – skipped as I do 16:8 too
    Lunch – a breakfast “wrap” – this is 2 eggs made into a wrap, the recipe is in the BSD book I think but it’s basically 2 eggs beaten, salt and pepper, teaspoon oil in a frying pan, tip the egg in and cook it very gently so it’s like a pancake. Use that as a wrap. I’ve filled it with some mushrooms which I cooked in the egg pan while the wrap was cooling down (no more oil) and 2 cauldron sausages with a babybel cut up into small chunks – was super tasty! This was 394 calories and 7.9g net carbs

Then for dinner I’m having a quorn stir fry using quorn chicken style pieces. I’ll have cauliflower rice with it and use soy sauce, ginger and chilli for the “sauce” – all low carb, and use green veg like brocolli, cabbage, and an onion. I haven’t yet calculated the total carbs but it won’t be much and certainly won’t take me over the 20g

I think the key is to include healthy oils as part of the diet as they are more satiating and keep to moderate protein. Obviously as a vegetarian you will likely eat pulses sometimes which are quite high carbs, but I take the view that they have a lot of benefits too like protein and loads of other nutrients and I fit pulses into my diet in moderation, you just have to stay low carb the rest of the day really to counterbalance it. Nuts are good too but very calorific and not all nuts are created equally in terms of carbs – almonds and hazelnuts are better than say cashews or macadamia for example.

Hope that helps

Lauren

Please log in or register to post a reply.