Porridge

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nigel15
    on

Hi, is it ok to have porridge for breakfast.
    Thanks

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Nigel, personally i have stopped having porridge for breakfast during this 8 weeks because of the carbs. I now have greek yoghurt and berries for breakfast. The first week i stuck to poached eggs and grilled mushroom or tomatoes but I am finally over the full fat fear 😉 good luck, you will get plenty of support from people on these forums 🙂

• posted by FoFi
    on

It is but only some types. Some seem to be too processed and and so become the high GI carb things we’re trying to avoid.

I did eat porridge for the first couple of weeks and I was fine and I suspect that my porridge wasn’t the best sort which is why I have stopped.

I like individual portions because it stops me from cheating which I know I am prone to do, but they seem to be the ones to avoid.

I was eating Quaker ‘Oats So Simple’ in individual sachets. It has 10.5g of fibre per 100g which seems to be reasonably high compared to most brands, and I took to be a good proxy for lower GI, but I have no idea what I am talking about so some advice from someone else would be most welcome.

Edit: BTW I am not diabetic so not being as careful as others, but I need to lose a lot of weight and avoiding sugar and high GI carbs has made this much easier than I imagined.

• posted by abisaysyes
    on

Hi Nigel, I have been having porridge for breakfast but with water, and measuring it the night before so there are fewer decisions to make when I am rushing in the morning! I have got the one from The Food Doctor with some seeds in, which adds some protein, and it’s still 186cal for 50g. To be honest, having some carbs like that keeps my head and my digestion happy, so it’s worth it for me but I’m not diabetic so can’t speak about that. I have started actually having it cold as I make it up the night before with fruit and cinnamon in it, so it’s more like bircher muesli I guess. I’d recommend it, I’m still losing weight – try it and see if it works for you!

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Nigel,
    I have seen contradictory advise about porridge. All say the ‘quick oats’ are high GI (what most people use to make porridge), but rolled oats are low. I suspect rolled oats made into porridge is how my mother used to make it as she used a porridge oat that needed soaking overnight then cooking the next day. Most of the porridge oats that you can use on the day and probably those in muesli’s are processed so high GI.
    This website is useful for getting the GI and GL for foods. http://www.glycemicindex.com/foodSearch.php – the index take a bit of getting used to, but I did get the following info after a bit of work;
    Food Name GI Serving in grams Carbs per serving GL
    Porridge, made from rolled oats 63 250 30 19

I think (?) that the low GL means that for the portion size it has a lower metabolic impact and if you are having less than 250 grams, it certainly will, then it is probably ok to have. Hope this helps.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Nigel. It could also matter if you are diabetic or not, and how you react to the porridge oats. My son and I are both type 2 and he can eat porridge, but if I do my blood sugar spikes.

• posted by David RH
    on

My wife and I have had porridge for years, but rolled oats from our health food shop, 1 cup oats, 2 cups water, one cup semi skimmed milk, mixed together and done at half power for 10 minutes in the microwave. I have nothing else on it, which You get used to.
    Am I right in thinking that this is ok?
    On the BSDiet so now having bircher, which is great, filling and tastes better, but the info on porridge, everywhere is sketchy!

I only have this on a Saturday now as I usually go Montain Biking which is 25miles and 2000ft climbing coming down some steep bits….and I dont want to feel lightheaded coming down these!

Please log in or register to post a reply.