Polenta…starchy carb?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Hi
    Does anyone know if polenta is classified as startchy carb. My fitness app says 2 slices is 70 cal with 15 g of carb. Low in sugar, fat and protien.
    I have seen a few recipes stating low carb using polenta but I have been so strict on not eating potato, rice, pasta bread and refine sugary foods and do not want to de-rail
    Thank you
    Anita

• posted by theblackspot
    on

Hi Anita,
    I’m avoiding starchy carbs while I’m doing the 8 weeks.
    After, knowing what I do now, then I think I will use /make polenta, Bulgar wheat, sweet potatoes jacket spuds and the like. But for now, it’s only 8 weeks. So I’m avoiding it all. After they will be on the plate but never the main event.
    I’ve been eating loads of fishy things, in salad. Mushroom omlet, fried chicken (see my recipe, it’s not as bad as it sounds), etc etc all with loads of salad or veg, and drinking water like it’s going out of fashion.
    There’s loads of good things to eat on the shelves without looking for a way to add carbs back in, yet
    Good luck on your journey.

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Thank you theblackspot

Good advice not wait after the 8 weeks

Thanks
    Anita

• posted by Anonymous
    on

I am a fan of Cornmeal and the research I have read rates it very highly in regulating blood sugar. Polenta (aka cornmeal) comes in 4 grades stone-ground, coarse, medium or fine which are made from dried and ground maize – the choice is personal but basically they are all the same thing. In the USA they also use the terms grits or masa harina. These are not to be confused with farina or semolina as they are made from wheat. To alter the texture of your polenta, mix different grinds to find a combination that you like. My favourite mixture for for polenta is 1 litre of boiling stock or water with 100g coarse, 100g medium and 50g fine, I don’t add cheese normally, but here is the basic recipe that I began with before tweeking it to my taste.
    Polenta
    Ingredients
    Nonstick vegetable oil spray
    4 cups stock or water
    1½ cups yellow cornmeal
    ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
    Method
    Preheat oven to 375°F, spray baking dish with vegetable oil. Bring broth to boil in heavy based saucepan over medium heat then gradually whisk in cornmeal (I use an electric one) continue to whisk until mixture is very thick, about 3 minutes then mix in cheese. Pour into the prepared dish, smooth the surface and bake until top begins to brown, about 30 minutes. Serve hot, feeds 4 but any leftovers are great with scrambled eggs, or cut into “chips” or “patties” and fried.
    Nutrition Information
    Calories:300,
    Fat:5.3g
    Saturated fat:2.7g
    Carbohydrates:51g
    Sodium:1281mg
    Fibre:2.5g
    Protein:10g

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Whilst polenta might not spike BG and even act as a regulator, to my way of thinking, given the usual portion size for this type of food, the carbs come out way too high for a low carb way of eating. I would suggest avoiding or only having very small portions very occasionally until you move into maintenance.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Wow Outlander 51g of carbs, that is a heck of a lot. I wont be making that any time soon.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Cornmeal has a GI of 69, the same as whole wheat flour. It is extremely high in carbs and I have seen no persuasive evidence that it aids in blood sugar control. The only reason polenta could possibly be considered not as terrible as other cornmeal-based dishes from a BSD perspective is that it doesn’t have a bunch of added sugar to make it even worse.

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Works for me, Iv’e lost 20kg since February. Average portion size weighs about 50g (one ice cream scoop size) once daily for evening meal. Polenta : 1 litre of boiling stock or water with 100g coarse, 100g medium and 50g fine. Boil the water pour into a large jug using an electric mixer beat in the cornmeal in a steady stream till thick. Bake if liked.
    Nutritional information.
    Cornmeal, cooked per 100g
    Carbohydrate – 13 g
    GI – 68 (medium)
    GL – 9 (low)

Please log in or register to post a reply.