Pasta, Noodle and Rice Alternatives

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by kate_ls
    on

Hi all.
    Having started the Fast 800 plan, I’m only onto day 4 but still craving white carbs. Having researched this i found a brand in Holland & Barrett called ‘Eat Water’, and there are a variety of products (penne, fettuccine, rice, noodles). They claim that they are only 9cal a pack, are gluten free, fat free, sugar free, carb free and wheat free. Im amazed, has any one tried any of these products? And are they ok to have on this plan? Thanks Kate ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

You have to wonder when they are everything-free, exactly what is in them and is it going to be good for you? I would recommend giving it a few more days, you will probably find your cravings will go away soon. You can also try things like spiralised courgette and carrots and cauliflower rice and mash. These are clearly more natural and more nutritious.

I think either Hashimoto or captainlynne use an alternative for pasta, they might be able to shed more light in that one.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

These products are made with konjac – a plant corm – sometimes called elephant yam. I have eaten them in the past (not on this diet) they are nothing like pasta/rice though, with a completely different feel and texture, but I don’t see why they would be a problem on this diet if you needed them. Think Janet1973 is right though, if you give it a bit longer, you will probably find the cravings die down and your tastes change completely.

• posted by tree-peony
    on

I tried the noodles ages ago, and they’re pretty rank IMHO! Slimy worms spring to mind!
    Try Courgetti or cauliflower rice instead ๐Ÿ™‚

TP

• posted by Omega
    on

Definite vote for cauliflower mash. Here’s what I do:
    1 kg of cauliflower boiled and mashed. Add butter to your taste (50-100g) and cheese (pecorino for me). Finish off with salt and white pepper.

I think I can survive on this alone forever ๐Ÿ˜›

• posted by Barbarar
    on

If you can ignore the foul smell as you rinse them, these noodles can be great when you are hungry and don’t have many calories left. I really like courgette spaghetti but it doesn’t quite fill you like these noodles. They are high in fibre and water and not much else, hence the low calories. Best used with a strong sauce like the arrabbiata in the book or a stir fry they are nothing like pasta or noodles as Sunny B said.They can seem expensive but I always buy them when on offer.

• posted by Catgirl
    on

Hi, found these noodles referred to in the 5:2 diet recipe book, they are called zero or shiritaki noodles, can be bought in the better larger supermarkets and on Amazon, a bit prices but Asian supermarkets sell them cheaper. When I googled them found a good video on YouTube that shows how to drain and dry them then dry fry in a non stick pan, not tried but very tempted.

• posted by blissfulbabe
    on

I use these a lot to give extra body to Asian salads (chicken and mint vietmanese salad is my favourite) and stir fries. I don’t like them as a subsitute for pasta or rice because their texture is different but great in strong flavoured asian dishes.

• posted by Funkydoofamily
    on

I definitely lost my Carb craving a few days in, haven’t eaten bread, pasta, potatoes or rice for 20 days now. The sugar craving is harder to beat. Lentils, eggs, avocado, beans etc are all good to have with meals, it just takes time to ‘see’ meals looking different – we’ve become so accustomed to ‘something’ with pasta or rice etc but with this diet you have much more variety on your plate I think. And fresher foods. Last night my family had jacket potatoes with various fillings. With them, I had shredded pork, homemade coleslaw, green salad leaves, peppers, avocado and some halloumi cheese. No potato. Was very full, didn’t eat between 6pm and 8am this morning.
    I do buy ready made courgetti now and again, no flavour but quick and easy if you don’t have time for an alternative. Also good if you don’t fancy a cold salad as a side and need something warm.

Please log in or register to post a reply.