Panda Bear is Out in the Woods!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Woohoo! Excited to get started today! Awoke with a fasting BGL of 13.5 so am looking forward to seeing that change.

I have decided that this post will be my personal log for my journey on the BSD but please offer any suggestions, encouragement and stay in touch.

This morning I weighed in at 88.5kg or just over 13.9 stone for those of you who are in the ‘imperial’ world. πŸ™‚ That gives me a BMI of 32.5 according to my Samsung Health app. OBESE! Don’t you hate that word! πŸ˜›

I started the day with the Roasted Tomatoes and a poached egg. I didn’t quite finish the meal, as to be honest, I couldn’t eat all the tomato but I was full and haven’t yet felt hungry so all is well……..at the moment. πŸ˜‰

I have also tidied up the spare room since which should give me some extra steps that I wouldn’t normally have done today and am about to move my chubbiness of the couch and do some weight resistance exercises! Here goes! πŸ˜€

May your day be full of fat burning and lower BGL readings! xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

The very warmest welcome to you, Panda Bear! I love your
    enthusiasm, and I’m sure it will resonate with others as well.
    One of the first things I noticed when I embraced this style
    of eating was the increased energy, as well as a complete
    lifting of depression. I don’t know if others have had this
    experience also, but I sincerely hope that it happens that
    way for you! I lost 144 lbs over 10 months, and have been
    successfully maintaining for an additional 5 months. I
    have reclaimed my life and health, and am so grateful for
    the support and new friends that I have made here. If you
    plan to maintain this thread, I’ll be looking in on you to see
    how you’re doing and if I can answer any questions that arise
    as you journey forward.

Very best wishes on this, your first day. Congratulations on
    making this decision to transform your life!

Allie

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Hello Alliecat! πŸ˜€

Thank you so much for your encouraging comment! I needed that! Just finished my 20min weight bearing exercise regime and am totally pooped! I feel like I need a nanny nap! But I have cooked my haloumi kebabs and am having lunch while reading your very encouraging post.

Your success story is incredible! 65kgs! That is what I weigh in my dreams! πŸ˜€ As I explained in a former post, I am a little skeptical about whether I will lose the weight as I have tried so many other weight loss regimes. My real goal is to get the BSLs down but hey if the weight loss thing happens you won’t hear me complaining. πŸ˜‰

You are so dead right about the energy and depression! These are my biggest struggles of late. I went on Metforman for about 10 months a year ago (and put on about 12kgs!) but within 24 hrs of being on the drug I felt my depression just get up and leave! Adios! However, I couldn’t live with the weight gain and I know it is not the best solution for future health. One drug just leads to more drugs. I have seen good friends with diabetes go that way and I want to give this everything I’ve got!

I will definitely keep posting so please stay in touch. πŸ™‚

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Panda Bear and Alliecat – yes 65kgs is my ideal weight but a long way to go yet at 76 but I am determined to get there. Panda, if you stick with this you will see your BG come down quite dramatically and quite quickly (i.e. within weeks). I guess you have the equipment to test as you did one this morning so keep an eye on it for lows. Good luck.

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Two days in……I woke this morning with a headache despite me drinking 6 times the amount of water I usually drink! Prior to the BSD I was unlikely to drink more than one glass a day if that! Isn’t that terrible!!! but too true unfortunately. πŸ™ The past two days I have managed to drink between 6 and 7 glasses! Perhaps the headache is due to a release of toxins from all the extra water. It sure feels like a toxin headache.

I am not complaining though. What’s a little headache when you step on the scales to find you have already lost 2kgs!!!! πŸ˜€ YES!!!!! Probably mostly fluid (as I know I am carrying some) but WHO CARES!!! It is great motivation to keep going!

My fasting BGLs have also decreased from 13.5 the first day to 10.7 yesterday and 9.4 this morning! I am very pleased with this result as this is my ultimate goal regardless of whether I lose all the weight.

So far… not hungry really… which doesn’t surprise me as I never feel hungry. Maybe this will become a challenge later should my metabolism kicks things up a notch.

As I am currently out of work, I have also signed up for an online course (Cert IV in TESOL) to keep me occupied and my thoughts off FOOD! I start today.

Wishing everyone out there a fabulous day! Hope the sun is shining on you as it is glorious here in Tasmania right now. Regardless, I hope you all get a little inner sunshine to earn your souls.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

You need salt. Just add some to your food or a pinch of it on your tongue. It happened to me too in the beginning. I was unquenchably thirsty and my sweat was so salty it cracked my lips. People on low carb diets shed salt quickly and burning fat also causes loss of water and salts. The headache isn’t despite you geometrically increasing your water intake; it’s because of it. If you’re anything like me, this could be a permanent change. I rarely drank water and never craved salt. Now I’m never without water in my hand and I’m a salt-obsessed madwoman.

You might seek out some high mineral content waters. Californiagirl recommended Gerolsteiner to me on this very forum and it’s now enjoying a full liter of it has become a beloved post-walk ritual. It’s like nature’s Gatorade.

• posted by marie123
    on

Good news about the drop in blood sugar levels, too, Panda Bear. (love the title of your thread, by the way)

Esnecca, I remember reading that post by Californiagirl – you’ve reminded me – am going to look it up see if I can get some. Cheers.

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Hi Esnecca and Marie123. That is interesting about the salt. Thanks for the tip! I do cook with salt and put salt on my food. I have always been a salt lover but I will keep this in mind and keep an eye on it.

Blood sugar is 8.9 this morning so down another 5 points today which is fantastic!

We ate out last night with the students from our Italian class at an Italian restaurant but I managed to control my portion and keep within my calorie count for the day. So that’s good.

Starting off the day with Roasted Tomatoes and Avocados. I have been following the suggested first week recipe guide from the back of the recipe book so far. The meals are tasty but I am glad I don’t have work at the moment so I can settle in to things as all the cooking requires time and cooking facilities obviously.

It feels like 6.8Β° here in Tassie with an expected high of 14Β° and a little rain. I have a suspicion that since lowering my calorie intake I have been feeling the chill more but I am not going to let that rain on my parade! I will just ‘put another log on the fire and bake me up some’ Roast Tomatoes and Avocados! πŸ˜€

Keep up the good work everyone! I can’t tell you how much I really appreciate all your comments and support on this forum. I would be lost without it! I can already tell it is going to be a key to my success! Thank you.

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

With my first seven days behind me I thought it was a good time to share and record my progress thus far. πŸ™‚ This morning I awoke to a fasting BGL of 7.3 which is vastly different to the fasting BGL taken my very first day of 13.5 just 7 days ago! That is actually 6.2 less! In fact it is almost half! I am stoked with this result and look forward to celebrating the day when it hits the normal range! Initially, over the first 4 days, my fasting BGL dropped dramatically but over the last 3 days I have seen only a steady decline of only 0.1 each morning. Does anyone know why this is? Overall all the result had been great so far and I know many things affect our BGL not just food so in the big scheme of things I am not too concerned, just interested.

I have just finished my brekky bowl of Spicy Fruit Porridge and have managed to stick with the suggested menu plan for week 1 in the back of the BSD Recipe Book 95% of the time with only 2 substituted, carefully calorie counted meals. The preparation of these meals has been fairly demanding and I am glad I am not in the work force at the moment so I have more time to concentrate on meals. Most have been a pleasure to eat with the exception of two meals which I wouldn’t try again, The Baked Fish Parcels (I personally didn’t think the barramundi and the chorizo was a good marriage of flavours) and the Tuna, Tomato Salsa, I found a bit bland. I have never been a big fan of fish. However, I have a lovely Red Curry Barramundi recipe I must dig out and calorie count. I think it may prove to be a good substitute.

For the record, I have not felt really hungry at any time during the week! Nothing that hasn’t been too difficult control. I HAVE had to battle the urge to have the after dinner snack or the odd glass of red.

I am having a nasty time with constipation and headaches though and have decided to try the pysillium husks recommended on this forum.

To finish on another positive, during the past week I have lost 2.85kgs! That’s equates to just over 6 pounds! I can feel the difference in my clothes already! I know this may be mostly fluid but it’s still nice to have it gone and I hope to see more progress in this area this week. To reach my goal of 10-15% less body weight I still have 6 to 10kgs to go! I remember my doctor saying that I should set a goal instead of losing 3-5kgs in the 8 weeks. Well doc……I am half way there already! Sick that in your pipe and smoke it! lol! πŸ˜€

Have a sun shiny day everyone!

• posted by marie123
    on

Great results, Panda Bear. I’m so pleased it’s working so well for you – and good for you for sticking to it.

I didn’t start testing until about 2 weeks in on the diet when my bgl readings were around 8 – they will have been a lot higher at the start as my Hba1c result was over 100 . They went down to 6 quite quickly then stayed at 5’s and 6’s for a few weeks. The last couple of weeks (weeks 7 & 8) they have mostly been 5’s and 4’s. I think I saw an interview with Roy Taylor where he said the sugar can be released from the liver quite quickly i.e. in a matter of days, so initial quick drop might be this. But other people on here are far more experienced and knowledgeable and may be able to explain better how it all works.

Brilliant news about the weight loss. I know you weren’t sure about whether that would happen for you. It’s so motivating, isn’t it.
    Looking forward to reading your next update.
    Best wishes – Marie

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Oh that’s interesting Marie. Thanks for sharing. It will be interesting to see how much more weight I do lose now that the fluid is gone. I don’t want to sound skeptical or negative but we will see. It is hard not to focus on the weight loss. Of course we all want to be slim…..not OBESE as my doctor once told me.
    “You are obese,” he said. Just like that! πŸ˜› and “Your rude!” I felt like saying back to him but didn’t. I am happy about losing the kgs this past week but don’t want to get disappointed if it doesn’t continue so still trying to focus on the BGL’s instead. πŸ˜€

Have a great day!

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

YeeHah! 13 days in and my fasting blood sugar levels hit in the normal range this morning at 5.6! So excited!!! I have also to date lost 4kgs or almost 9 pounds.

There have been times when I have been restless on the diet and have wanted to reach for a chocolate bar but not out of hunger so a little willpower and determination have seen me through. I must admit it has not been that difficult to stick to.

Interestingly, my fasting blood sugar levels (up until this morning that is) have been stable at around 7.4 and 7.3 for the last 6 days. I put this down to having my periods during this time as I know hormones effect your BGL as well. But when my BGL showed 5.6 this morning it was time to jump out of bed and yahoo! It was a very welcome result after 6 days! My monitor took ages to show the reading too. I don’t think it actually realised that there were numbers that existed below 7! πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€

Cloudy here in Tasmania today but I am shining on the inside!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Panda Bear – first of all well done and secondly with regard to your BG levels – ha ha told you so πŸ™‚

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi PandaBear! I’m just looking in today to see how you’re doing.
    Congratulations on your BGL results, and the weight loss as well.
    You couldn’t be in better hands with sunshinegirl and Esnecca
    (hello ladies!), 2 of the most knowledgeable people on this forum.
    Have your energy levels or depression improved, as well? I’m so
    pleased this is working for you. Keep up the good work! πŸ™‚

Best wishes,

Allie

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Hi there Alliecat and Sunshine-girl thanks for dropping in on me. I feel as though I am going to be in need of all the support I can get as time passes – the carb cravings are getting stronger. We went to a friends place for tea last night and the beer, crisps, chocolates, crackers and cheese were flowing. It took all my will power not to cave in. Thank goodness there was no junk food in the fridge when I got home or I would have eaten it!!!!! But I stuck with my Moroccan meatballs and veg.

I am still having some difficulty with constipation and I have awoken with another headache this morning.

Good question about energy and mood……I do have a bit more energy and am coping better. I still have the odd bout of anxiety but overall I am sleeping better so things are improving in all those areas but there is also still room for improvement as well.

Today is my last day of week 2. I awoke with a fasting BGL of 6. It must have went up as a result of all the energy expended on NOT eating bad foods! 😣 No. Don’t think like that! BGLs go up and down for many reasons. As long as the overall reading is going down BE HAPPY!

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Panda Bear
    Got back last night from a weekend away so thought I’d look in to see how you’re doing.Great results again. You are shining on the inside – it lights the page up, honestly it does!
    Hope week 3 is going well. I think what you say in your last post is right – it’s keeping individual readings in perspective and looking at the overall trend which is important. But, isn’t it just great that the whole thing is working for us ! and so many others on here.
    Like you say – we should be happy!
    Marie
    nb sunshine-girl – you also told me so and you were quite right x

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Ok. Time for an update.

I have just finished my third week on the BSD and have to confess I am feeling rather dispirited about things. I guess the initial excitement has worn off a little and I am struggling with low energy levels. I have only lost 700g this week and my BGL’s seem to be hovering at 6.0 and 6.5 for about 5 days now. I am hoping they will drop again soon as that’s what happened earlier. They plateaued then dropped.

I read about people on here losing almost 4kgs in a week and remind myself not to focus on weight loss. Overall I am thrilled with my BGL’s and am interested to see what week 4 brings.

• posted by marie123
    on

Sorry to hear your feeling a bit dispirited, Panda Bear, although it’s understandable when things stall a bit.

I can’t advise on how to increase the energy levels – my energy levels go up and down – hopefully, someone else will be able to advise on what will help.

I think the weight loss happens like that for a lot of us. I lost a similar amount of weight to you in the first 2 weeks, and then exactly like you in Week 3 it stalled. Since then I’ve lost a few lbs, then plateaued, lost a few lbs, then plateaued. But even going like this in 10 weeks I’ve lost 21lbs (9.5kgs). So, it will happen for you! (Mind, to avoid coming across a bit ‘zen’ about it, because I’m not, I weighed myself this morning, saw the lb sign flash on 6 before it settled on the 7, quickly lifted a foot and shifted the other over to the edge of the scale, fell off, and hit my head on the bathroom wall – it only hurt a little bit. So 7lb it is then!)

Your doing well with your BGL’s – mine did go down again but wasn’t until weeks 7-8, and now sometimes they’re 4’s and 5’s and sometimes 5’s and 6’s – a work in progress, but still brilliant – as are yours!

Take care
    Marie x

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Hi Marie

As always thank you for your message. I hope your head is better. Thanks for making me laugh! πŸ˜€ It is nice to know I am not the only one who fights pound for pound when it comes to weight loss.

I am proud of what I have achieved and of the fact that I am 3 weeks in and I haven’t caved in our binged or busted my diet………yet! Bahahaha!!!

I know my water intake has dropped this week and I haven’t done as much exercise but I am on to it! Went for a 3km walk/jog this afternoon and despite my aching calves I am content.

Hope all is well in BSD land for everyone tonight as I hit the sack with Headspace!

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

I went for another 3k jog/walk today and had to keep hitching up my jeans which kept falling halfway down my backside! That’s got to be a good sign! πŸ˜€ I have decided I am throwing these out and not putting them back in my drawer for future fat days!!! I have now lost 5kgs. Fasting BGL’s still around the 6’s. :p

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Week 4 done and dusted! This is a good feeling knowing I am half way through this but my fasting BSL’s have been plateauing at around 7.5 this week as compared to my 6.5 last week! When will I see another drop? I am starting to feel stuck. I have lost another 200grams. So I am now 83.3kgs. I did have 2 glasses of red wine list week, one on Wednesday and one on Thursday plus 2 slices of pizza but I factored all this into my 800 calorie daily allowance so I didn’t think it would make much difference. Starting to drink soda water and lemon juice to help move the fat. Any other suggestions?

• posted by Lessmuffintop
    on

Iwent through a phase week 4 and 5 with not much weight loss but dropped a dress size . I also like you had upped my mother excercise so just told myself I was building muscle. It does seem to stall in middle but bizarrely then somewhere is just drops off so keep going the whoosh is coming!

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Thanks Lessmuffintop. It is hard to stick to something when you are not seeing the results that others are experiencing. Two weeks now and my average fasting BGL haven’t budged. In fact this past week has been higher than the previous. Still slowly losing weight which is the key to making me stay on the the diet at the moment but I am feeling discouraged and it is getting harder to stick to. I am grateful my BGL have lowered to the point they have but if I can’t get them to drop further I am not going to reverse this diabetes. πŸ˜”

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Panda Bear

I don’t know if you’ve read on here about the Dawn Phenomenom (or Liver Dump) which relates to high fasting BGL’s – if you type these words in the search box you will find a better explanation than I could give of what it is – this may relate to what’s happening to you.
    Also, when I first started reading on this forum there was a thread by a guy called Bill1954 – something like ‘this has got to work for me’. His was one of the first threads I read. I remember him talking about at a certain point (I think about week 5) his bgl readings going up and staying up for a couple of weeks before coming down again – I’ve read about that happening to others, also.

The other thing I’d say is that it doesn’t necessarily just take 8 weeks for things to happen. It’s a long game.

Honestly, you’re doing really well! Just keep going and keep reading the success stories on here – if they can do it then so can we.

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Just checking in at the 4 1/2 weeks point. I have spent the morning reading the threads recommended (thanks again for the support marie123 and lessmuffintop 😚😚) in regards to stubborn fasting BGLs and have to admit that these past four days have been higher than the previous two weeks! This morning I awoke to a nasty 8.3 and then held off breakfast for 1 1/2 hours to see if I could drop it a bit. (I really didn’t want to record the 8.3! 😝) In the end I managed a 7.2 😞 The dawn phenomenon makes sense though. It’s like my body dropped to a BGL of 4.9 at one stage early on and so it said, “Hey guys things are pretty normal at the mo….I think I am going to dump some of this liver fat whole I got the chance!” πŸ˜€ That’s what I am telling myself anyway! I also tell myself that if I got a reading of 4.9 earlier my body is obviously capable of it! So sticking to the diet moving forward.

I have enjoyed more energy and motivation these past couple of days. Went for a 3k walk/jog and definitely noticed I was jogging faster. Have lost another 600g in 4 days (maybe the lemon juice and soda water have encouraged things along there a bit)!

Glorious day out today I think I will get me some of that sunshine! 🌞

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Panda Bear,
    Yes – that’s exactly what I was thinking when I read your post – you’ve hit 4.9 before, it’ll happen again. Really impressed with the faster jogging – and good news on the weight. Have a good weekend.
    Marie x

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Yeehah Grandma! Just a little excited today!!!! πŸ˜ƒ My fasting BGL’s hit 5.9 this morning. …..”it’s coming down folks, it’s coming down!” AND I weighed in at 81.4 which puts me for the forest time. …..wait for it!…Wait for it!…….in the OVERWEIGHT category! So ‘OBESE’ I am kissin’ your tush goodbye girlfriend! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Just shows hang in when things plateau. …..I can’t believe I am saying this. …..’the woosh is coming!’ πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Not bad for 37 days in! I have never got these results from anything I have tried in the past! Can’t wait to go back to the doc. 😜

Looking forward to superintendensteppin’ out in the sunshine with some step buddies (see Looking for step buddies thread)

• posted by marie123
    on

Brilliant news Panda Bear – well done, that woman!
    Marie x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Fabulous, Panda Bear – you are going great guns and I recognise your excitement. You’ve got this! “massive pats on back”.

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Thanks Marie and KazzUK! This forum has been great! Good sport and feedback. More work to do yet but haven’t felt so positive about anything for years. I know it’s now just about solidifying habits and keeping on. πŸ‘

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh, Panda Bear, isn’t it exciting to turn “overweight”? I’ll be waiting
    for you over the finish line, in the “normal” category. Life is grand!
    Keep marching forward…

Allie

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Yes Annie! I can’t wait to be “NORMAL”! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• posted by Ohmy
    on

Wow double wee!! Have loved your posts and said to Marie you seemed to have gone quiet – hoped you were okay – I love your humour and you are a fellow Aussie. Marie said today you have posted. That is soooooo brilliant Panda!
    You are a legend I hope I can do what you have done? Yes turning overweight must feel sweet as. Keep us posted – another true inspiration
    Donnaxx

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Hi Donna. If you are the Donna who commented on my other thread that I posted prior to starting I did reply to you the other day. I hope you got my message as I appreciate all support and would hate to think you may not have received it.

Coming up to Week 6 starting Monday. I need to lose a further 3kgs to reach my target weight of 79.5 That is 10% of my overall body weight from when I weighed myself the very first morning. 75kgs would be 15% but not sure if I am on target to reach that in the next 3 weeks but you never know! πŸ˜† That reminds me I have to go buy more lemon juice. I really think it is helping me break down the fat and release it. A good friend of mine put me on to soda water (nil calories! πŸ˜ƒ) with a tablespoon fresh lemon juice. I love it! 😍 Such a great replacement for a cider or beer at the end of the day. It is very refreshing. Word of warning though. Drink it through a straw and don’t be tempted to slurp the foam. Although it makes for a great party tip! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Ok. Yesterday I stepped on the scales for my regular weigh in. I have taken to weighing myself 3 times a week, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I am slightly stunned to announce that I have had a further loss of 800g since Saturday which means I have officially reached my target weight of 10%!!!! Break out the champers! I mean soda water. 😏 A week ago, I was skeptical that I would reach the recommended 15% but I have done the maths and. ….you know what. …this just may happen yet. 6 weeks ago I was skeptical that I would achieve any significant loss at all but THIS WORKS. Get off the couch everyone and keys boogie! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜Ž I have 2 weeks to go and roughly about 4.5kgs to lose. If I don’t make it, it is going to be close and the green ‘normal’ range is definitely on my radar now so I am thinking if it ends up close I think I will keep going to get the prize.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Panda Bear,

Brilliant news again – you’re really going great guns! Go for ‘green’ – you can absolutely do it.
    Marie x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

SUPERB news PB !!! You must be elated. How are your BSL levels looking?

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Thank you Marie! πŸ˜ƒ Really hoping to make the weight target. Ideally I would like to be about 65kgs but that will come. I haven’t been 65kgs in nearly 20 years!

Hi KazzUk. Fasting BGL was 5.5 both yesterday and this morning. So that still needs to come down a little as I am spiking in the 7’s still but at least double figures are a thing of the past.

I awoke this morning extremely fatigued and must admit I have had little motivation or energy now for about a week. Probably hormones as my period begin today. That’s what I am going to put it down to anyway. πŸ‘

• posted by Ohmy
    on

Hi Panda
    No I didn’t get your message, get a bit lost running around on here and just accidentally saw this post. I had loved reading your bits, and said to Marie hoped you are alright as you hadn’t been active so it seemed, for awhile. Marie alerted me to your post then. Your humour is cheering and you are after all just down the road ( me in NSW). πŸ˜€β˜ΊοΈ Daunting start so it seemed and now you have kicked butt, literally and figuratively!! πŸ‘πŸ‘ Hope you are not wasting away😬😏 I am only 2 weeks in and have overdone calories today and just slightly yesterday – have felt so godam hungry. And I thought when I started I was already used to not eating much. More fool me – could kill for a nasty carb!!!! Just need to relax and regroup. I so want to be a success story. Keep all the good going – you must be over the moon
    DonnaπŸ™‹

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Hi Donna. I was born in NSW. So sorry you didn’t get my reply earlier. I just checked and it is there if you want to take a look. Do a search for ‘About to Take the Plunge’ and it is towards the end of the thread. I haven’t really felt overly hungry (as in hunger pains) while doing the BSD diet but I do know what it is like to have carb cravings! I hate that annoying urge to have to shove something in my mouth! 😁Everyone is different but I do know that when I follow the recipe plan in the book and don’t just calorie count I feel less inclined to breakout and more at peace with it all. For me, I think it is because the foods I naturally reach for (even healthy ones) are not in sync with the Mediterranean style of eating so I don’t get that satisfied feeling. Some of the best advice I have received on here is don’t beat yourself up if you ‘breakout’ just get back on the horse. Recording everything has also helped me keep my focus too. I forget so quickly how things really were for me and I need to have the record of achievement even if it is slight to give me evidence that this is working. If you feel you just need to relax and regroup then that’s what you need to do so put aside some me time today and just do that. Whether you realize it or not you are 2 weeks in to your success story. πŸ˜€πŸ‘ Get focused. Get bold and go for gold my friend!

• posted by marie123
    on

Panda Bear – isn’t that brilliant to have lost 10% and be so close to losing 15% of your body weight. But also to have gone from having bgl readings in double figures to 5s and 7s – that’s a fantastic result. You do right to record it – and celebrate it.

I’m 1lb away from being 10 stone 13lb instead of 11 stone and I’ve just plateaued for ages. But, it’s nice and sunny here today (not warm of course). That doesn’t happen often this time of year in the North of England so that’s cheering. I’m resolved to re-ignite my BSD today. I’m going to make some green soup (Verano’s recipe), go for a long walk, up the water and record everything again – even that spoonful of yogurt (or two) I have, standing up, fridge door open.(What, you mean that counts ?!?!?).

Ohmy – I’ve read success stories on here of people who upped their calories from 800 to 900, or even 1000, and still kept losing weight so I wouldn’t worry about going over on the calorie count too much. Best to go over than stop the BSD altogether. Also, the cravings for carbs really do get easier as you go along. Whichever way you do it – stick with it and you are going to be one of those success stories!

Marie x

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Hi Marie. Have always wanted to visit England. My in-laws are from there. In fact my father-in-law comes from Northumberland. Is that anywhere near your neck of the woods? We live in a pretty little valley not far from Hobart. I often do a 3k walk up and down the valley and sometimes a circuit of 5k’s. If I walk from my house up in the hills to the village it is also 5ks.

Way to go Marie! Hope you enjoyed a beautiful walk. That is still something I am struggling to make a habit of. Exercise. When I get out there I enjoy myself but I struggle with energy having a history of CFS but I am getting there! I am impressed your fridge raids consist of yogurt! Not something like. …..the C word. …CHOCOLATE! You are an inspiration and have been off great encouragement to me. If I can do anything to help you lose your next pound let me know. 😊

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Panda Bear,

Sorry for the late response – I’ve just got home late last night. I had to go over to the North-West unexpectedly at the weekend. My Uncle had a fall at home. He lives on his own so I went down to help out – he’s 89 so it’s a bit of a worry, but he seems OK-ish. But will be going back over on Saturday and staying for the week.

The good news is I’ve lost 4lbs (1.8 kilograms).Got on the scales this morning and I’m 10st 10lbs (68 kilograms). I’m well and truly in the 10’s – woohoo! Can’t remember when…… It’s funny but that’s how BSD seems to work, for me at least. I’ll be stuck at one weight for a couple of weeks (or more), and then suddenly I’ll drop a pound a day for a few days, and then stick again. Do you find that?

Your comment about the fridge raid consisting of yoghurt did make me smile. Even as I was writing it I thought what do you sound like – a yoghurt secret eater! (Although I have to say eating this Fage full-fat Greek yoghurt does feel completely indulgent). As for the C word – no chance of having that in the house. I almost bought some of the dark chocolate people suggest for a birthday treat but, hmm, for me it would be one short step from 1 or 2 squares of that to a whole bar of Dairy Milk chocolate. Walk away, Marie!

Where you live sounds lovely. We live just south of Newcastle upon Tyne in the North-East of England. I live minutes from the coast. It’s an industrial coast (or post-industrial) but there’s beauty in it and it helps with my walking that I can walk next to the sea. It’s about 40 miles up to Northumberland from where we live. Whereabouts did your father-in-law come from? It’s a beautiful part of the country, with castles, empty beaches and small villages. We usually drive up there for the day a few times in the summer months.

How have you got on this week. I wouldn’t worry too much about the exercise when you can’t manage it. One of my closest friends has CFS and I know how debilitating it can be. Both Roy Taylor (Newcastle Diet) and Jason Fung (Fasting) – both Diabetes specialists – emphasise focusing on the diet rather than the exercise, especially in the early days.

Hope you have a good rest of the week – you’re doing brilliantly!
    Marie x

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Panda Bear,

Hope this week has been another positive one. I’m away now and for most of next week. Look forward to reading how you’re doing when I get back.

Cheers
    Marie x

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Panda Bear

Just got in from being out (as they say) and thought I’d check in and see how you are doing. Hope things are going OK. There is a new challenge just started today where everyone will be supporting each other through Christmas.It’s called BUSY, BUSY WITH SANTA’S ELVES, WHILE CARING GENTLY FOR OURSELVES: 4wks to 26 Dec. Be great if you could join, but if not it would be lovely to hear how you’re doing.

Got my 1st Hba1c results since being diagnosed diabetic on Monday and my blood sugars had dropped back into ‘normal’ range. It really has worked. Keep going.
    Marie x

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Hi all especially you Marie. πŸ˜„ Thank you for your enquiries. I hippie your uncle is ok and recovering well from his fall.

I am sorry I haven’t been in touch. I have been meaning to but something keeps getting in the way or I just completely forget! I feel a little like Panda Beat had been lost in the woods! to be honest. All is well and my results have been fantastic (more on this in a minute) but these past 4 weeks I have been struggling with terriblterrible lethargy and no motivation. I am not sure if it is diet related or if it is hormonal being pre-menopausal but it really had been awful. I ran out of vitamins around week 5 and have only just gone back on them these past few days so I am hoping they will make a difference.

I have now got my official results back from the doctor for the BSD. My cholesterol is back in the normal range. Which is amazing after everything we have been told about fat and eating all that oil, butter, full cream milk etc.

My BGL is the most exciting. I went from a fasting BGL of 13.6 to…..

5.6! Yay! Yay! Yay! NORMAL!!!!!!! πŸ˜ƒ
    Without drugs just pure Michael Mosley! πŸ˜€

My plan now is to stick to 1000 cals most days over the holidays and eat within the 8 hr window which gives me a little fast each day. I didn’t really try this 8 hr thingy during the 8 weeks but have since found it incredibly successful in dropping the pounds.

My official result for weight loss was 10kgs about 10% of my body weight. So determined never to put this back on! I am throwing out my clothes that are now too big. Not keeping them in the wardrobe just in case! I am still keen to get into the normal range but feel Ineed a bit of a break from the calorie counting and just want to establish now a routine that works.

Hope you all having an activity-packed holiday that is kind and supportive of your waistlines! Kisses and hugs to all!!!!!!! Looking forward to catching up in the challenges.

• posted by marie123
    on

Brilliant results Panda B and great to get an update from you – I’m so delighted to hear from you. I’m really sorry to hear how tired you’ve been, it does sound pretty grim. I hope the vitamins begin to make a difference.
    Your results are doubly impressive because of what you’ve been through. From 13 to 5.7 that’s fantastic, normal cholesterol and 10kg weight loss!

Like you, I feel like I need to embed all the good habits into a workable routine so am concentrating on that right now and I’m also looking to up my calories bit by bit. I still need to lose 6lb to get to the very top of the healthy BMI category and then decide what’s next, but I’m going to leave all that until after the New Year.

Hope to see you around in the challenges. Would love to hear new updates but only whenever you can. No worries if there’s a big break.

Marie x

My uncle’s much better – I don’t think he was ever a hippie, but you never know!

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Panda Bear

Just wanted to wish you a Happy Christmas and best wishes for the New Year

Marie x

• posted by Panda Bear
    on

Thank you Marie. I hope you have a safe holiday and enjoy a very special time with family and friends. Xx

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Panda B

How are you. How are you feeling at the moment. It’s always lovely to hear from you. Well, didn’t I tell you on an earlier post I could never be trusted around chocolate and after all these months, it’s still true. And it was dark chocolate, which I’ve never even liked!

Seriously, apart from the blip with the C word over Christmas things are going well with me, and I’m grateful for that. Blood sugars are still good, but I need to work on my cholesterol now and try to get it back to normal, as you did.

I hope that you’re still doing well with the BSD and your bgls, and that the lethargy has lifted and you’re feeling a bit, well, a lot, better. Don’t worry about responding if you don’t feel up to it right now. I’ll drop in again soon…….. Marie x

Please log in or register to post a reply.