Over the 8-week line and after

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Kags, congratulations on becoming a veteran! πŸ™‚

• posted by Kags
    on

Thanks! πŸ™‚

Striving to hit the 10kg off mark this weekend. Was a bit miffed yesterday when I did a pre-meal blood and it was 4.7 (excellent), then did one after 2 hours and it was 8.4. Seems I still have some way to go until stability.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Kags,did you stop your meds if you were on any at all ?
    I’m in week two and came off on my own accord
    Alan

• posted by Kags
    on

Hi Alan,

I’m pre-diabetic, so not on meds. Just trying to avoid T2 through diet control. How is it going for you without the neds?

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Can’t notice a dufference yet,couple times got bit shaky after food
    I just wanted to monitor my BS accurately , two weeks in lost a stone easily zero hunger pangs fat belly vastly reduced.
    Pants falling down !!!
    Alan

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Welcome to the pants falling down club, Alan πŸ™‚

• posted by Kags
    on

Tell me about it! Even the kids in my class are commenting on how my clothes are too big for me!

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi All
    Anyone read the email newsletter from Michael yet? Two interviews from Oz & New Zealand. Subscribe at the bottom right of this page

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi Hashimoto/ Alanhypo
    Seem to have been in ‘the pants falling down club’ for a while now as well!!!
    Chose the wrong pair to play tennis in last night (under jogging bottoms, I must add).
    Spend part of the time trying to surreptitiously haul them back into place.
    Annoyingly this pair of ‘droopy drawers’ are quite new.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

OMG the OH went through my drawers and wardrobe yesterday and threw out everything that no longer fits me.
    There were 2 bin liners full of clothes.
    I need a major shopping trip next month. Pants falling down ? try having it happen while you are carrying a boiler from a wagon πŸ™

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Bill
    There should be a BSD warning about the danger of following this diet.
    Clothing hazard!!!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Oh Bill carrying a boiler! No chance of holding trousers in place with the elbows!

Wow, OH is making sure you do that big clothes shop Bill! You’d better hurry or she will shop for you and really buy you that mankini! πŸ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Ay caramba, something along the lines of ‘ the money you save on food will be spent replacing your wardrobe, and then some’ πŸ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Judith, no I’m afraid, they ended up around my ankles!!!
    I’m being haunted by this mankini thing, whose idea was that anyway?
    Aycaramba, oh yes the need for new clothes gets rather urgent as you progress through the plan πŸ™‚

• posted by Bruno
    on

I can relate to the clothes not fitting posts.
    That’s me 3 stones down. I currently wear a jacket to work that now looks like my big brothers πŸ˜€, two months ago I couldn’t fasten it with no chance of zipping it up.
    I was 18lb down before my clothes began to feel loose, but that was because I used to fasten my clothes using a rachet strap (just kidding).

• posted by Heragain
    on

Hello everyone.
    I don’t actually qualify in the true sense as having been on the 800 calories a day for 8 weeks, but I feel that this is probably where I belong. I started very low eating carb about 13 years ago with the original ‘Caveman Diet’. It was very successful and very easy. This was followed by ‘Lighter Life’ (3 stones lost in 11 weeks) and then good success with 5:2.

Each time I have lost quite a lot of weight and then regained it when life took over (although I have kept some off from the 5:2 regime).

Fortunately although quite overweight, I do not yet have a problem with my blood sugars but I am a Coeliac, have low thyroid and no longer have a gall bladder and as such, I suspect I may have some autoimmune problems

The positive aspect of my previous dieting in this way is that as soon as I cut back dramatically on calories, I no longer get the carb withdrawals that seem to appear at the beginning of this type of diet. My body seems to recognise the regime immediately and I am able to fast without any hunger pangs for more than 16 hours at a time. This I hope will be good news for those of you who are worried about going off on summer holidays and taking a break from the strict rules.

I believe that carb restriction will have to be for the long haul for me and perhaps many of you.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi bill 1954,
    Way hay, way to go bill! I look forward to having pants that fall off because I have lost so much weight!
    I have been on a plateau again, but now losing slowly again, so hopefully it won’t be long!
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi eureka,
    Thank you , I have just subscribed, I didn’t know ther was a newsletter, will I find it interesting and inspiring? That is the question!
    How are you doing, still losing weight, how much and how much to go yet?
    Christine

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Heragain, totally agree with your final sentence

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Christi1948
    That is the question?

Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings & arrows of outrageous fortune
    Or to take up arms against a sea of troubles,
    And by opposing end them.

Methinks the BSD in a nutshell; Carbs being the trouble ( apology to Hamlet)

I’m good thanks. Weight dissolving slowly but that’s ok. Happy with my new GP. Am aiming for 1/2 stone victories now. 1lb to go to reach my initial target of 1 1/2 stone lost.
    How are you? The new pants club calling yet? Waiting for the sun & a good bbq like me?

Come on OZ & NZ want some bbq recipes please.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Carbs are the devil!!! My stomach is still bloated after a gluten free brownie this lunch time πŸ™

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Yep posted in my diary thread, 1 chapati at lunch and FBS of 8.8
    If carbs are the food of the Devil, he must be one big fat bloke.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi eureka,
    Pants falling down, not in that club yet, I passed the finish line for my last size drop, still waiting for the next size down, then I will be in the pants falling down club, seriously, I am Apple shape so although I have lost 1 stone, 10lbs I have only gone down one size, in all the skirts and trousers, I am having to fasten my bra on a tighter bar but that’s all, I can still get away with my tops being a bit big, just! I am also,doing the ‘in stages’ weight loss, my next goal is 2 stone loss, so that’s three pounds to go.
    Question, how do you celebrate the next faze of weight loss? You can’t very well go out and have a slap up meal with cake etc, so what is your preference for celebrating now?
    Christine

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Christi1948
    You are doing well, nearly 2 stones lost. The joy of new knicks ( as my mum called them ) is not far away! I’m holding off buying new ones as I’m going to Canada in June & will buy cotton ones I can throw away as we cross the country. No chance to wash & dry them on this trip! Am normally frugal with clothes.
    So, as the size goes down guess I’ll celebrate with a better choice of new clothes. Am size 14 now so revelling in that for the moment. Think I’m boyish figure as Gok would say. Will see when the rest of the lard comes off! At least it’s melting off the right places.

I could celebrate by making a cake ( not eating it though). If you give your taste buds a chance they really don’t crave sugar any more! I make celebration/ wedding cakes as a hobby & gift them to family & friends. You can’t buy mine. Exotic sugar paste flowers is my bag. BUT that’s on hold for a while. Not that I’ve anything against sugarβ—οΈβ˜ 

Funnily enough I’m off to Carluccios restaurant for an Opera evening next week. It’s a Mother’s Day treat from my son. They phoned me to ask about the menu & what I could eat on the low carb diet. I just need a fruit salad for pud as the rest is ok. I thought that was very considerate of my son & Carluccios.

What’s your treat going to be? Get planning your new wardrobe, I’m sure Summer is out there somewhere under the snow β˜€οΈ

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi eureka,
    Ah another cake maker, my eldest daughter makes cakes for her friends, she lives in Scotland, so we don’t get to have many of her cakes, not that I would do now anyway, we live in the Midlands. I think it is marvellous how a cake can look like a castle or football pitch or a pair of running shoes, she has just done that for a running buddy’s birthday.what sort do you do?
    It sounds like Canada will be a great adventure, I would love to do Canada, New England in the autumn, ( I refuse to say ‘fall’! ) New Orleans and Memphis and of course, Graceland!
    We are celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary next year in August so we want to do something special, but we can’t decide, well I keep saying what about this or that and hubby just doesn’t seem interested in my idea. So any idea greatfully accepted.
    Oh and treat, I am going to get a little sparkly silver bangle and I’m going to get it engraved with something to do with the bsd diet like 800 or record my final weight loss, not sure yet, it was Lucia who challenged me!
    Christine

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Christine. Got home yesterday and sorting through post found booklet from travel agent. Norwegian Cruise Line are doing a 14 night cruise: fly UK to Chicago, 2 nights Chicago, train to Memphis, 2 nights Memphis, train to New Orleans, 2 nights New Orleans, then 7 night cruise, then back to New Orleans for flight home.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi everyone. Just a quick check-in. Been away at residential conference near Scarborough from Monday, back yesterday afternoon. Weighed Monday morning at 12 st 7lb. Weighed this morning at 12st 7lb πŸ˜ƒ . Proper weighing day is tomorrow but just wanted to see how I’d done – at the hotel it’s 3 cooked meals, plus biscuits at coffee breaks. Weather and timetable meant no chance to go walking. Lots of crossing out on the menus we were given to choose from!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi lynne, if you’ve not put weight on while at the conference you really have this taped! πŸ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

That’s brilliant captainlynne! Real proof that you are not ‘on a diet’ but that you have a lifestyle that just doesn’t include all those carby things. I hope I can follow your example in the long term!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

So you go away to a hotel for a week and don’t put an ounce on?
    You really are the BSD poster girl Lynne πŸ™‚
    Long may it continue.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Thank you for that info, about the cruises etc, will have a look on line later,
    I look forward to being able to do that, go away and come back to the same weight! Well done,
    I will be on the twelve week and over on Monday, I am hoping to hit the 2 stone loss by then, that’s only a two and a half pounds to go! I am being very good at the moment, after a few weeks of not losing its good to see the dial on my scales go down.
    Are you at the weight you want to be or are you looking to lose any more?
    Christine

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Judith, Janet and Bill πŸ˜ƒ

Christine – glad to help. It just happened to catch my attention – I love New Orleans. Never knew I liked jazz until I was taken to Preservation Hall in the French Quarter. That was before Katrina. My friends wouldn’t let me leave the hotel on my own! They didn’t realise some of the areas I’ve lived/worked in here😊

Usually lot of holidays ‘leaf peeping’ in New England, but firstly time I’d seen the cruise I’ve told you about. Hope you find something you like😊

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Lynne,
    Will let you know if and when, what we do decide! Hubby has already said, ‘don’t want to fly into Chicago’ what does that man want? It’s a good job I love the idiot!
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Judith,
    I have been meaning to ask for ages but I keep forgetting. Did you finally meet up with janet1973 and Julia? How was the meeting did you have a good time exchanging ideas and recipes etc?
    Christine

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi catgirl,
    I haven’t seen any post from you in a while, I hope everything is going well with you? I might well have just missed reading your posts, however would still like to hear how you are getting on
    Christine

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi christine, Captainlynne, janet1973 and I met up nearly a fortnight ago. They are both really lovely ladies and we had a good old natter! I think we could have talked for ever! πŸ™‚

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

This post is a confession of a “lurker” — I have been following several threads but not participating since February. Today is my day 56 on the BSD so i thought I should come clean and say “hi” from California! I ran across the book in February at London Heathrow on the way to a winter ski holiday — I almost didn’t buy it because I was embarassed and I figured everyone around me was thinking “well she sure needs that” — but I bought it anyway and although it was a struggle for me (I got really hungry!!) I did it. I couldn’t face a scale so I used a measuring tape — I have lost 6 full inches off my waist and yes 😜 I can relate to pants falling down! I am a bit trepidatious about what comes next — I am continuing for a bit because I have more to lose but it sort of scares me — I have actually become comfortable on this super-restrictive diet — how funny is that!! Thank you for all your funny posts in the past weeks — it helped me hang in there.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi californiagirl! That’s a brilliant result re your waist.

Lots of people are staying with 800 calories for longer than 8 weeks, so just go for it until you are happy with the results! πŸ™‚

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Californiagirl
    Belated welcome! Guess you weren’t really dreaming! Well done on all fronts, for picking up the book & all the rest. Not just my pants (knickers) falling down now, my jeans are going south too. I feel a spending spree coming on. And the charity shops benefit too on this diet/ way of life. Hope you are ready for new clothes too.

If you are happy with the BSD then do it for a bit longer. I’m 12 weeks in & captainlynne is 19 weeks I believe. I’ve posted before that prof Roy Taylor Newcastle uni, original diet Diabetic Reversal trial, said bring your calories back up until you are eating 2/3 of the total amount you used to eat. You may put on 1 – 2kg over a few days because your glycogen stores return to normal & glycogen is stored in the water inside your body. We all like eating this way.

Have a look at the Answers & info topic in Fast 800 I posted to Chocolate_ee
    Your compatriot, Jenny Ruhl – Blood sugar 101 & Diet 101 the truth about low carb diets, is the fount of all knowledge re diabetes.
    Keep on keeping on & glad you here

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi Judith,
    I thought I had got one of the people’s names wrong but was too,late to edit it!
    Christine

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Christine, no problem, there are lots of us ‘talking’ to each other so a very easy mistake πŸ™‚

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Thanks Eureka and Hasimoto! I will go look at the info suggested. I appreciate it! By the way, my username misrepresents the fact that I am not exactly a “girl”, being age 60 (good heavens) but I DO live in California (San Francisco Bay Area) and I am an old (literally/figuratively) fan of the Beach Boys πŸ˜„

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Just finished week 19 and another pound gone from last proper weighing day (Saturday). It was gone on Monday before I went away, so was happy it didn’t reappear (with some of its friends) while I was away. Total of 49 pounds goneπŸ˜ƒ
    Fasting bloods within normal rangeπŸ˜ƒ Getting result of latest HbA1c on Thursday – should be interesting! Must ask her last few results, not got a record of them.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi californiagirl lots of us, including myself, are 60 and over!!

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Californiagirl
    Of course you are a girl – I was 16 the last time I looked! Really 65 in July πŸ˜€ Flew in & out of San Fran in 2000, on way to Hawaii. Shame we had no stay over. But the bridge looked good, no mist
    A Beach Boys fan, never old. Hang loose. Kokomo. Aloha! 🌺

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi general lynne
    Get a print out of all blood results & back date it to at least just before you started BSD. Go on line for explanation & comparison of your HbA1c , liver etc results. There is no reason why you shouldn’t have them or be able to understand the results with explanation. That goes for ALL Type 2 Diabetics.

• posted by Amyloueliza
    on

Hi there everyone, this is a great thread captainlynne, so good to hear your news. I’ve just joined the group but have already completed eight weeks. I’ve written my story in my profile so wrong now you all just now but like a few of you I am not yet diabetic but knew I was well on track. Nothing was shifting weight for me and I was really starting to get concerned. Then my daughter told me about this diet and so I hopped on board. I bought the book, on kindle initially, but realised I messed the hard copy for kitchen convenience. I am enjoying being in the kitchen, trying new things and with the benefits that could come, well it’s a no brainer for me. Loving everything. I’ve avoided weighing myself and am choosing to use my clothing as a guide to start with. I’m going to maintain this for another for weeks then move to the med style, I think! So far I’ve gone down two sets sizes, and my husband says he can see a big difference, so that’s good enough for now. The last thing we all need is putting additional barriers in our way. Anyway looking forward to getting to know you all and hopefully helping out if needed. Big smiles x

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Well done Amyloueliza, fantastic to have dropped 2 dress sizes! πŸ™‚

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi all,
    Did anyone see the picture of Lisa Riley in the papers yesterday? She looks amazing, I wonder if she has done the bsd diet?
    QUESTION everyone please, does anyone else have a feeling of ‘restless body’ similar to restless leg, (which I do get) however my body just doesn’t know how to cope, it usually happens at night and I can’t seem to stop it and rest! I have tried relaxing techniques, mindfulness, and yoga breathing, nothing works, it’s only occasional, but it has only started since I have been on this diet.
    Christine

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi christine, I saw something about Lisa Riley on the loose women website. Don’t know if it was specifically the bsd she did, but she said she did cut the carbs so she’s definitely in our gang!

Please log in or register to post a reply.