ONWARDS into OCTOBER : One week at a time beginning 27th September 2022

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I know we still have a few days left in September but I wanted to keep the theme going ! On we go !!

I hope September was successful , not just on the scales but in self confidence and motivation .
    If it didn’t go totally to plan, that’s ok. Put September behind you and move on, ONWARDS . That’s what matters .

All the best everyone for this coming week and for a new month .
    SG we are all behind you as you continue your research into alternative diabetes medication !

Wendy, sunshine-girl and SunnyB (in Singapore !) xxx

• posted by RubyG
    on

I forgot to mention on the previous thread that we finally took all of hubby’s size 42-44 trousers to the charity shop over the weekend, some pairs I don’t think had ever been worn, so they were happy.
    Next trip will be all of his smart work shirts which look like clown clothes on him, the larger casual shirts can probably still be worn (he has a few favourites).
    Not a bad day today with food choices, although I did have to have a mid-afternoon snack of some Greek yoghurt, nothing else added though.
    Have a good week all.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

That must feel so good for your hubby Ruby. I have one dress that I tried on before the wedding and it was at least 2 sizes too big. I dont want to discard it as I have only worn it once. At the moment it will sit there until I lose more weight and then we have a lady in the next town who does alterations. But need to wait until I am sure it is never going to fit at current size again.

Weigh in this morning shows half a pound loss – better than nothing – however, after a flexible weekend drinkwise I always seem to show my losses on a Wednesday so maybe that should be my weekly weigh date. My final diet date before the ‘C’ word will be a Tuesday so will keep it the same. So now need to lose 12lbs in 11 weeks. Still doable.

Feeling good, had my hair done today and a good laugh with my hairdresser – cant tell you the joke, it is too rude for here 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi again.
    We’ve had a family bereavement so I’m just popping in briefly but probably won’t add much more this week.
    Just want to echo sunshine-girls mantra of ‘keep on keeping on’ in what ever way we can, and how ever well we can keep to it. At the end of the day we all want to be as healthy as we can be but we also have to have a ‘life’! Choices are ours!
    Anyway, have a good week and welcome October with open arms ……..we just have to each keep doing what’s best for ME!

on

Hi Verano, sorry to hear of your loss but thank you for thinking of me at this time.

I am looking at the site right now and so far it is looking good so I can learn about the flozin family of drugs

Thank you Elle for your PM. I will get around to reading it. The more I know the better I am able to discuss the subject and maybe know what wont suit me as well as what will.

I reduced insulin to 7 units last night – that is the lowest I have ever gone. My BG this morning was still 90 or 4.8 which is on the low of side of acceptable (between 80 and 120 is good control). I will stay at 7 units for the time being but if I have to go lower it will be more evidence to say I can do this. And I can.

Love to all.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

It’s already Wednesday here – and I am off to a slow start this week. I had a good week last week and my jeans are feeling a little less tight. Then a long weekend and an excursion to a Regional art gallery yesterday meant that I didn’t stay on plan. But that is fine!
    Back on track today 🌼
    That’s great news on your insulin S-G – and I hope you and your doc can find the best medication for you.
    My sympathies to you Verano – take care of yourself. And we will embrace October with open arms 🤗
    RubyG – someone will appreciate all your charity shop donations. I bet hubby is enjoying his “make over” and new threads!

• posted by Ani 74
    on

Hi everyone newbie here I’m on day 3 of the 800 diet it’s going well but I am really struggling with what to nibble on if I am craving a snack any ideas? Anyone?

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Ani the first week is the hardest you will feel less need to snack as you get used to it. My go to is a handful of unsalted nuts or a couple of tablespoons of Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of mixed seeds sprinkled over it. Good luck 🍀

• posted by Ani 74
    on

Thanks Elle-May I think it is a matter of getting used to it! But it is very hard. Obviously it will be easier when the 800 a day bit is over. 😊

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Ani – sometimes just stopping for a few minutes and having a drink can help the cravings pass. A glass of water, or sparkling water – or a tea or herbal tea. I enjoy licorice tea – a slightly sweet taste, or green-tea chai.
    All the best!!

on

Hi everyone, thank you for all the info on drugs. I have looked into them quite carefully and noticed one drug is not suitable for people with breathing difficulties, which I have, and one was not suitable for people with low blood pressure, which I also have. Not to rule them out as doctor will know how significant the risks are. Anyway thank you all for your help – I have something to go on now and will stop talking about it because not everyone is interested. On with the diet.

Although, welcome to Ani74, I notice you are pre-diabetic and you have come to the right place to kick that into touch. What to nibble on – my answer is always protein – some cold cooked chicken, slice of ham, piece of cheese, a few nuts (careful with the calories with nuts or cheese), carrot sticks, a plain yoghurt with some berries, a boiled egg. Hope that helps to be going on with.

• posted by Ani 74
    on

Thanks everyone that is all very helpful I think I will have to just work through them for now and look forward to a few more healthy snacks when I’m in the maintaining bit!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello.
    Sorry to see this thread has gone so quiet. Week by week has always been so motivating.
    Anyway, especially for those of us with blood sugar issues, we really do need to have a ‘contact area’ that is ‘real’ , helped with real experiences from ‘real’ people.
    I’m amazed at sunny-girl (s-g)s progress…. to go from injecting insulin to not needing that anymore is beyond all expectations….. amazing!
    We were always told that T2 is a ‘progressive’ illness. No way to reverse it. Just keep taking the pills ….. and more and more and more ….
    Here we know that’s not the truth.
    Low carb eating can bring blood sugars back into the normal range.

on

Hi to anyone who is reading. Yes we are a little light on commentary Verano. Always good to see you here. I think you have also reversed your diabetes many years ago when we first started on this journey. I am aware that this is the BSD site – therefore meant for blood sugar related issues but Dr Mosley has opened it up to everyone who wants to lose weight quickly. Yes it can be a quick fix in the short term but it is still hard work if you want to keep the weight off or lose lots. I think that is why we see people come and go. If you just want to lose a stone for an occasion this is the diet for you. But if you need to continue losing, it is still a hard slog no matter which diet you are on. All diets work while you stick with it, this one just happens to give rapid loss in the early stages.

Thank you Elle. The information is great. Now just need to click on every med and check side effects, what it is good for etc. Will be a long job but I have until December. Someone else sent me info and the drugs I have looked at, all ending in flozin, look good until you see what they can do to you. For example, canagliflozin causes urinary tract and vaginal infections. Dapagliflozin causes confusion, dizziness, difficulty in breathing so I can discount that as it is not suitable for asthmatics – another thing I have to consider. There is one drug called pioglitazone which reduced stomach fat. Sounds great until you read on that it deposits that fat in the lower legs and ankles. It is all so complicated.

I am beginning to wonder if changing from insulin – a known substance with little or no side effects (except hypos). Plus, if I go out for a meal and decide to have dessert I can just increase a little bit. I am now down to 7 units so the doctor might make the decision for me. Do I just want to be able to say, hey look at me, I came off insulin . My mind is spinning.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend. And if you are still reading then please come and join us.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi All,

Just caught up with this week’s posts….Verano, so sorry to hear about your bereavement xx

I am feeling somewhat overwhelmed with tasks between work and home/ family, especially having increased my hours with 2 separate jobs for the same employer….but I like them, so, it is a period of adjustment. Working out when I can fit in healthy cooking and eating and exercise is taking some wiggling….I’ve not got it licked yet!

I have been reading The Obesity Code by Jason Fung…..it’s been waiting for me on the shelf for a while! I find reading a book very inspiring when I am trying to get on track again.

I’ve not yet lost any of this pesky stone regain, but I am working on it!!

SG….you are a marvel 🙂

Love to all,
    Clare xxx

• posted by RubyG
    on

Sorry to hear about the bereavement Verano, and that it’s been quiet on the weekly thread.
    And well done on the BG results SG, I hope you can find an oral med that is suitable.
    My head just hasn’t been in the right place, we were working away last week and had a good week of headspace and healthy food, but the story of my life is too much food. We were out with friends on Saturday and had dessert! So trying to put the carb monster back in his box this week is my primary focus – no breakfast this morning and a veg soup for lunch, probably chicken something for supper to try to get back to a low cal mindset, and I will get on the scales tomorrow.
    Tulip, I seem to recall you have been diagnosed with bipolar – I have a friend with bipolar so sometimes attend the bipolar webinars etc. to understand more, and the newsletter last week was calling for volunteers re. the effects of a keto diet on bipolar disorder. If you’re interested, the charity is bipolar.uk.org and they mentioned that there is a study which may lead to a full clinical trial.

on

Hi everyone,
    Tulip, I know what it is like to take on 2 different roles. When I was studying with the OU I decided to do 2 half courses but it doesnt add up to the same as a whole course as you have to get your head around different things. The fact you enjoy it should make it easier. I have the Diabetes book by Prof Roy Taylor. Trouble is it is on my kindle which I use for bedtime reading. I like to have a real book for things like the BSD or the Fast 800 or recipe books, so I havent managed to get to reading it.

RubyG, you know this is just a short term blip and you can get back on it. I think we both need to bang our heads together 🙂

Elle, I signed up to that weblink you posted and have received a very interesting article. It is about coming off Metformin, so not about insulin. However, it did set out the criteria for stopping medication. You HbA1c has to been lower than 6.5 for 6 months – mine has never been that high – so tick. Fasting levels lower than 130, mine are generally less than 100 – tick. Random testing, particularly post meal less than 180, mine are less than 140, so tick again. Starting to believe I can do this.

There was also an article about apple cider vinegar and the health benefits. Lots of scientific tests have now been carried out and it is really good for you. Especially lowering blood glucose (even in non diabetics this can be important), reducing belly fat and helps with weight loss. You only need 1 or 2 tablespoons in water. I have mine first thing in the morning. Dont use neat as it can damage your teeth. Lots of other good uses i.e. today I cleaned my white plastic table which has been in the shed all year and it came up a treat. Vinegar and washing up liquid in a small amount of water. I also use it to wash soft fruits like strawberries and also cucumbers, it increases their shelf life.

Back to the diet. I am useless at dipping in and out. I had a couple of voddies on Saturday and no weight gain so, being me, thought I could have another couple on Sunday (well it is the weekend). But no, weight jumped back up to what it was nearly 3 weeks ago. Anyway, I have a dinner to go to on Wednesday so after that it will be 100% strict leading up to Christmas. Also the sun is out again and we are having a mini heatwave – 28 degrees tomorrow, so I will be getting in the pool at least a couple of times, even though the water is pretty cold now.

Have a good week.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone
    Sorry I haven’t been posting much .Visits to hubby have been taking up a lot of my time and I just feel like crashing when I get in !
    One good thing to post is that September saw a 4 kilo drop for me . I will plod on and mix my ADF and number of meals a day so I don’t get into a ‘routine’ which causes things to slow down.I also have to be very very careful around dairy and nuts .I just shouldn’t buy them, I know !!!

I have started making more soups as it was getting a bit cool in the evening but as SG says , temperatures are due to rise this week. I have just got my snuggly duvet out ! It also means the blinkin mozzies start pestering again after a brief respite !

Anyway I am off to set up the new thread !

on

Yes Wendy the mozzies are back but biting hubby during the day and me at night – doh…. We are plagued with stink bugs crashing around and found 2 grasshoppers in my little office. We have put on our winter duvet which really makes a difference and the electric blanket but I haven’t used my half – it has dual controls. Funny thing is the 25’s and 26’s dont feel quite so stifling at this time of the year. It is just pleasant.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you all for your messages they are much appreciated.
    Popping over to the ‘new’ week now ….. see you there.

Please log in or register to post a reply.