One Week at a time starting the 25th of June

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Maybe it’s the bag of chips I ate yesterday then! More carbs and too much salt. That would make sense 😁

• posted by JGwen
    on

Re fat measuring scales. I was very puzzled by the results from some expensive body composition scales a few weeks ago. These scales are similar in design to ones that sell for £6k and look like they may be an earlier version. – Apparently even very expensive scale have difficulty in telling the difference between fat and muscle within the organs.

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Forgive me Fasters; I have done a very un-800 thing involving Strawberry & Cream Baileys 🤣😂

I can never help myself – it’s so delicious.

I don’t even feel guilty 😁

• posted by wendleg
    on

You little devil Beegirl !! have never seen that Strawberry and Cream Baileys concoction in France but I reckon given the choice I would have prefered the fruit and some cream !

I am such a Carb Diva 😉

I hope it doesn’ t give you the urge to swig the whole bottle !!!
    I hope everyone is coping in the heat !

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Wendleg – I didn’t have the whole bottle, I promise. I shared it with my husband 😂.

• posted by Sunderland
    on

Good morning everyone everywhere 🌞

Wendleg, it is really good news how well you are recuperating.

BeeGirl, first of all I didn’t tell you I did the chicken with Parmesan recipe that you kindly sent and it was yummy. Also, I am glad you hadn’t drunk the whole bottle when you posted last night but then the night was young …..mmmm.

I am doing my utmost to eat as low carb as possible and am enjoying it. However, I went to visit friends in Norfolk yesterday and they took me to a lovely garden centre where we had lunch. On the whole menu there were only two items that were bread and flour free! I was very happy with my prawn salad but it showed how it can be a challenge eating out! On the plus side I found a lovely climbing ivy which travelled home with me on the train.

Carpe diem and it seems a wee bit cooler that yesterday….so far!
    Sunderland

• posted by wendleg
    on

Morning everyone.I hope we don’t have too many lovely members feeling a bit fragile ? 😉 Not mentioning any names, Bee Girl 😉 😉 Makes a change from nagging Scottishgal ! 😉 
    Thanks for the good wishes Sunderland. I am feeling fine…the dressing is intact and there is some swelling as expected but I will soon be back to normal. Well done on resisting the carbage on the menu !!
    Amz ..I was thinking..can you break the ‘habit’ of stopping off at that gas station . I think sometimes when we want something, it is the habit rather than the actual ‘treat’ that keeps us hooked. For me a cup of black coffee equates to dark choc…I have to break that ‘habit ‘ !! I hope your weekend is going well .
    How are you doing RainyMH ? SG is very well informes about the diabetes challenges and her advice is invaluable. New Day …how are you ?
    6T we are all thinking of you and your neighbours…horrendous time for everyone xx
    Crikey tomorrow is the first day of July !! It doesn’t seem 5 minutes since I was saying that about June !! Summer in France can be a bit intense heat wise but I still love it and I am looking forward to my sister arriving later in August ( to alter lots of my clothes 😉 )
    I am sure lots of people are trying to survive the heat and hopefully staying on track. Some members have gone quiet..please check in with us anytime you feel you can xx

• posted by RainyMH
    on

Hi Everyone

Really enjoying listening to what’s happening with everyone.

Sunderland, I live in Norfolk/Suffolk border! I know what you mean about eating out, I went to a cafe in a small garden centre and couldn’t eat anything, so my friend and I went to a larger one in Thetford, I still struggled but ended up with a, not so exciting, salad! 🙂

I have just been picking ripe berries from the garden, loganberries, strawberries and a cross between a gooseberry and a blackcurrant, sadly I will have to either give some away or freeze them as there are so many! Good news Toms and cucumbers are starting to come sprout, hopefully there will be a glut of those too!

Oh well, have to drive my husband to Heathrow shortly, lucky thing has a business trip to the Middle East – some of us have to stay behind to look after the family, dogs, cats and goats.

Hope everyone’s enjoying the sunshine.
    Rainy

• posted by Sunderland
    on

RainyMH, small world as I was in Attleborough yesterday and the lovely garden centre with beautiful plants was Beales but with a very minimum low carb menu! Steer clear from the cafe.

I had an extremely complicated train journey to reach my destination and actually ended up at Thetford via Ely with cancellations of trains breaking down and animals on the track….. you couldn’t make it up!

Now need to thin some lettuces before it gets too hot ….
    Sunderland

• posted by Baxter
    on

Hi Sunderland and RainyMH
    Seems there must be a definite LCHF theme in East Anglia – I’m in Suffolk.
    I haven’t got any goats or lettuces, but I’ll go and dead head my roses this afternoon in agricultural solidarity with you both.

• posted by RainyMH
    on

HI Sunderland and Baxter

Attleborough is about 15 mins north of me and yes I know all about the trains! My husband works in London and suffers Greater Anglia on a daily basis, mainly from Diss to Liverpool Street but on occasions has to go Thetford to Cambridge to London – not nice!!! Hence the drive down to Heathrow today – trains not working properly so much easier! I think I would rather be in the garden this afternoon!

I am on the Suffolk/Norfolk border near Diss, nice to know there are a few of us LCHF treading the boards and waving the flags in East Anglia 🙂

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Good morning/afternoon all. I had a busy day yesterday catching up on all the washing and mowing the lawn! Yes I did it in my sarong so I wouldn’t get tan lines on my shoulders🤣. Plus it was 30 out there so anything else on and it would have been way to hot🤣. I was modestly covered so I didn’t shock the neighbours, but I am not really over looked so not a problem really💞🤗. I was going to sunbathe but I get bored too quickly so thought I would kill too birds with one stone😁

I went to a friends 50th last night in the village pub, it was great and at least 4 people said they didn’t recognise me🤣. What a compliment, well in my eyes it was as they then gushed about how good I looked🤗❤️. I wore a pretty tea dress and felt a million dollars!

Now on to the bad bits! A couple of my girls came round for pre drinks in the garden, so two G&T’s and two toffee vodkas later we went to the pub. I had a soda water and ice, but then it was G&T’s the rest of the night😱😱. I also ate carbage!!!!
    I had mini spring rolls, a couple of prawn filled vol-au-vents, chicken in breadcrumbs, mozzarella sticks, also in bread crumbs and a birthday cup cake! The cup cake was nasty and I was really disappointed in it. They had cost £70 but I wouldn’t have paid 70p for them! So bad when you pay a fortune for baked goods and they are utter rubbish! I am very lucky not to have a hangover this morning! I have been out for a dog walk and now I am just sitting back after my cooked brunch and catching up with you guys and enjoying my peace while it lasts! My boy will be back from his fathers later😇😍🥰.

Beegirl I am glad you enjoyed your Baileys but I think I would be sick now if I drank it🤮🙃.

Sunderland it is so hard to find good food with no carbs when you go to a cafe! They are still in the dark ages of stodgy goods unfortunately, but I am sure they will cotton on the more people decide not to eat carbage anymore! I am sure it will happen🤣

Rainy you have done so well hun and good on you for avoiding the carbs too. It doesn’t take long when you see the quick results! It really gives you the incentive to stop yourself from being silly. This is the only WOE that has ever worked. I would never have discarded 3 stone on any of the other diets out there, no matter how long I stuck to them. The most I ever lost was a stone on WW and SW and that took over a year! I would lose and gain week in week out! Not worth it! BSD all the way for me now and I am never going back. I would like to be 13 stone buy the time I go on holiday in August I need to discard 9lbs! That is all! When I started on April the first I thought I would never discard 4 stone, but here I am and I am over half way. I still can’t quite believe it😁. I am so so grateful for this woe and you guys on here.🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰. Hope you all have a fab day. Love and hugs Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by Baxter
    on

Hi Rainy
    I’m a bit south of you between Diss and Ipswich 😁

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Sunderland – glad you enjoyed the chicken and parmesna, it’s a nice easy recipe that I think will be on my regular list!

wendleg – I’m fine this morning thanks 😁 I felt pretty grim when I woke up at 5am but after another couple of hours sleep I was fine. Quite surprised actually, as there was a bottle of cava before the Baileys! Still, I don’t drink very often any more, so that’ll be it for three weeks or so, when we have family visiting and I might give the Baileys a miss next time!

Birdy – the Bailey’s is a bit sickly, I admit; not something I could drink very often these days. A useful reminder for why I only drink occasionally now!

Went to watch my lads do their martial arts grading this morning – I enjoyed watching so much that I’m enquiring about starting classes myself. It’s years (probably about 30 of them!) since I did any, but I’d like to get back to it. Will be good for my overall fitness too, so hopefully I can find a class time that works.

New low carb recipe I tried yesterday, if anyone is interested: http://rachaeldee.com/stupid-easy-bagels . Very nice indeed – had one for lunch today with some ham in; very pleasant and filling.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, sounds as though it has been a weekend for partying. I was also at a party. Dont know if they do it where you are Wendy but the French celebrate La Fete des Voisins – the fete of neighbours – when we all get together at the end of our small lane with all the neighbours and we all bring something to eat and plenty to drink. I had been nibbling away at the things I knew I could eat like mini sausages, my own pasty free quiche, radishes, celery and tapenade and I thought I was sooooooo full I couldn’t eat another thing. Forgot these were just the entrees and the main course was yet to come. Good job I was full as the mains were mergeze (a spicy sausage) with savoury rice, or savoury pasta or couscous. Nothing I could eat but my neighbour, Marie-Claude kept insisting I have something. I gave it to the animals in the undergrowth. Then came the desserts and they were all shop bought except for my rather lavish strawberry pavlova, which I didn’t eat. Still I ended up with cherry claflouti on my plate which also went to the animals. Not quite an angel, I did have rather a few glasses of wine. It would be rude not to???

Hope everyone is cooler, think I had better go for a swim to combat the calories.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello lovely East Anglian people!
    Glad the Baileys and Cava did not make you feel too fragile after all Bee Girl.I am such a light weight when it comes to alcohol…your consumption would have knocked me out for days 🙂
    SG, no Fête des Voisins round here. Not that we are an unsociable lot but there are maybe more local village fêtes and the regular marchés gourmands where local producers sell their wares and you can compose your own menu. We have a lot of vide greniers too, my guilty pleasure !
    You navigated the food very well.Those shop bought cakes ( from Leclerc here ?) taste pretty artificial. They are fond of their merguez and Toulouse sausage round here too and the French would not think a meal was complete without the addition of carbs but they do have a respect for green salad which is often eaten separately. Well done on the carb subterfuge SG .
    It feels bearable drinking my Badoit here in the garden in the shade although my cats are hiding.

Have a great day everyone xx

on

Hi Wendy, it is not a commercial or producers fete, it is just something that started about 8 years ago, there is no official date, just any weekend in June. Just our immediate neighbours, not the whole village. I dont know why the French ladies buy cakes and none of them knows how to make meringue, they buy it in chunks as you will know. Interestingly, I was sat next to a neighbour who is from Ireland, via living in Thailand with an Irish father and French mother and a Thai wife (wun pronounced one). When I was being bombarded with cake he just said, no Denise is diabetic (ooops that’s my real name). I had only met him once before, at the same fete 2 years ago and he remembered. Then he started to tell me how I could cure my diabetes. Really, and he has never heard of Dr M. He used the (new) Atkins diet which is the same as our BSD, no starchy carbs. We agreed that because I am already on insulin and diagnosed 14 years it would not be possible to reverse my condition. I told him about DrM – but what a coincidence, 2 different diets, same results – that can also be said of Paleo and Keto diets. What do they all have in common, low carb. The world is waking up at last. He went back to his doctor for HbA1c and it was 5.4 and she said ‘see, the Metformin is working’ and he told her he never took it, just went on the diet. We are winning the battle against the people who told me I was crazy to go on such a diet.

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Sounds like a really interesting conversation with your neighbour SG. Glad it worked for him too.
    Wendy, your earlier post about nagging me actually made me laugh out loud…..I’m sure you must have a hidden camera and you’re watching me. I’ve been really bad this weekend. We went out to a restaurant last night and I had a penne pasta dish. It’s over 6 months since I’ve had pasta, I seen it on the menu and had a notion for it. I thoroughly enjoyed it but couldn’t finish it…..which is a first for me. We were out again today and I had a baked potato with coronation chicken and garlic bread. I’ve been really good lately but still gaining a few pounds so decided what the hell I might as well enjoying putting it back on! But no worries back on track again from tomorrow.
    I finally start my part time hours tomorrow and then I’m off on holiday on Saturday.
    Reading all the other posts including beegirl and birdy I’m glad I’m not alone in going off track this weekend lol.
    Here’s to a new week, a new month and yet again a new start 😁

• posted by wendleg
    on

I remember coming across Atkins in the eighties I think but if my memory is correct it was given a pretty bad press at the time and I also had a negative view of eating so much meat !
    If only we knew….all those wasted years of low fat and high carb. !

I admire the diabetics on the forum who are managing or reversing their diagnosis. The doctor here was pleased with my hubby’s success and there is no talk of medication at all ( but I need to watch him …;-)

BeeGirl , ScottishGal and Birdy ..I reckon we had better draw a rapid line under the last days of June and move on quickly !
    Great you are starting part time work tomorrow, Scottish Gal. DO NOT CELEBRATE WITH GALAXY , BAILEYS or other carbage because I am watching you !!! 😉

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Evening all….Just had my boy round for supper. I hadn’t seen him for about 3 weeks, and he said my legs were “skinny”! I did share sweet potato wedges with him with roasted veg and steak, plus some red wine, but I am confident I won’t balloon overnight (and neither will anyone else!)…His “girlfriend” – in “” because after 10 years (since age of 16) and buying a flat together that term seems to underplay things – has been at Glastonbury; getting coach back to London at 3am tomorrow morning…He didn’t fancy it, and is also grumbling about a trip to the Maldives she “made him” book for October. These young people… Wendy, I am glad to hear you are resting up and recovering despite the heat in France – I hadn’t heard of Gudrun clothes – they look fab! Thank you for thinking about my poor neighbours. She is now in a local hospice, and I understand going downhill really quickly. He is such a stoic; and still smiling. I made a cake and some veg curry and chicken tagine for freezer, tho as he has always done most of the cooking, he had also cooked himself a coq au vin. It is humbling how brave people can be. I can’t believe it’s already about to be July! All best to all for the forthcoming week.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

As of this morning, I had lost 1.3kg of the 2.5kg of water weight that I put on earlier in the week. I’m still having to rush to the toilet on a fairly frequent basis, so hopefully the rest of it comes off over the next day or so. Will be nice to get it off so I can start losing more than just water weight again!
    Sunshine-girl, sounds like you had a great evening and managed to cleverly avoid the worst foods. I wouldn’t count yourself out yet though as far as diabetes reversal. Dr. Jason Fung has had patients that had T2 diabetes for 20 or even 25 years that successfully reversed theirs. Unless your beta cells have completely failed, you may still have a chance at waking them up again. Check out this article for just three case studies from his clinic:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6194375/
    Scottishgal – good luck with your new work schedule. Wendy is right though, no celebrating with food. Let us know how you are settling into the new routine.
    LouiseK – I don’t know what kind of place I will be moving to yet, only the town. Hopefully at least a house. I’ve been looking at small acreages as then I could keep my horse at home, but it might be a bit of a stretch budget-wise at this point. Have to sell my current place before I can do anything though, and the market is very slow at the moment. 🙁
    Sorry if I missed anyone who responded to me earlier in the week. Can’t miss a couple of days without missing a lot of goings on with such a busy thread!

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi everyone, just popping in to catch up and seek a bit of advice.

BeeGirl, over the weekend I made those rolls you recommended and they were really very good, so thank you for that tip.

Sounds like lots of people have had a little break with carbage but Wendy has already scolded you all lol

SG, being a food friend to the animals is a fun way to navigate temptation!

Arcticfox, great to see the water weight coming off, you must be really pleased 😊

So, on to the advice.

I went to a mate’s place for dinner on Saturday night – which is a very regular occurrence – and though they had tried to cook low carb for me I realised afterwards when I totted up the probable carbs and calories that the meal had been bad news for me. Sure enough, water weight back on Sunday and completely out of ketosis according to my breathalyser. I was good as gold on Sunday, so I know that’ll reverse itself again but… what do I do about eating at friends’ places?

They had been so kind in trying to cook for me. If they had just shrugged and said “well we’re having pasta, bring your own food”, then of course I would have taken things along that I could eat. But they had really tried, ditching all obvious carbs and trying to do meat and veg. Only problem was it was all in a tomato-based sauce with lots of high carb veg – I reckon about 4 tomatoes in each serve, and that’s just to start. No obvious high carb veg like potato or anything, just lots of the “sneaky” ones that they didn’t think about. So of course I ate it because I would have felt completely rude to do anything else. And it was very nice.

But, what do I do next time? I’m sure many of you have been in this situation before, so I really am looking for advice here. The weekly catch up is an important part of our social week, and the host really does like cooking as it’s part of their nurturing of their friends. But I’ll never get anywhere if I eat like that every Saturday night. And even though they understand the principles of low carb and are keen to help, I don’t think they get just how low I have to stay for this to work for me (as in, 20g). If you’re not stuck on 20g yourself, I think it is a bit hard to cook for others like that.

Anyway, any advice very welcome!

Thanks everyone, and have a grand day, Elky

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi everyone
    I have been a bit quiet the last few days – busy at work then away for the weekend to a beautiful wild coastal area called Sandy Point, near Wilson’s Promontory. https://www.flickr.com/photos/182226305@N02/ Dogs and I had a lovely time, but I was staying with cousins and succumbed to too much carbage!! So Wendleg I take myself as being admonished too, and will happily drawer a line under the last few days of June!!

It is the morning of July 1st here and I am back on track with meal plans for the week and how to cope with the few nights I am out to eat.

Hi Elky – I can understand your dilemma with you weekly food gathering. It seems that this group has been eating together for a long time and that you know each other well. And your friend enjoys hosting. My advice would be that you make a dish that suits you and is enough to share, so that it can just go on the table with all the other dishes. And maybe a side of some steamed greens. If that becomes a regular thing it won’t be noticed, and everyone can enjoy the meal and friendship. Then you will feel comfortable eating what you know is low carb, and your friends may also see that LCHF doesn’t have to be boring!!!

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi Merry

Goodness it looks like you had a wild and wintry weekend away, what fun! I absolutely love the coast in winter, that windswept beauty is great.

Thank you too for your suggestion of taking along a shared dish, that’s a really strategy. And you’re right that we know each other really well, you never know I might get some converts along the way lol

Cheers, Elky

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Elky !
    I agree with Merry that if you know your friends well they will be happy to supply foods that meet your BSD needs.They obviously thought they were doing the right thing (without having all our knowledge 😉 )

Yes, I would suggest taking a dish or could you even say you have seen an amazing recipe you could ask your host to try ?
    Or would that be a bit cheeky 😉 ?
    You could limit the damage by just having that one meal on Saturday if you fear going over 20g carbs ?

Those weekly social occasions are obviously important for your friendship group and it would be a shame to feel anxious about them.
    Have a good Week Elky !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !
    I am getting a reputation for being a bit of a carbage nag 😉 😉 Hee hee my hubby would probably agree 😉

You can feel free to tell me off too if you hear me mention too many nuts or dark choc !!

I can’t ever imagine confessing about a binge of biscuits, bread or Baileys 😉 because they really do not have any appeal for me nowadays and I would love people to remember this when they are feeling despondent and tempted by another ‘treat’ …the longer you resist the easier it becomes.

Sugar /carbs feed those cravings …and they are monsters !

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Elky, may be you could also introduce a conversation about the high natural sugar content in fruit and mention that tomatoes are a fruit too – and how surprised you were when you discovered that. Obviously, subtly, and wait a few weeks before you mention it otherwise they’ll link it back to your meal on Saturday! My bestie’s partner, knowing about my lchf woe, once dished up a cottage pie, enclosed in a pastry case! The portion he served me was where the uneven mash was really thick so once I’d scraped away the carbage, I had a mouthful of mince. Fortunately plenty of greens were on the table. I still don’t know if he did it on purpose or not but I suspect he did! 🙂 There’s no love lost there on both sides! He brings his own food when he comes to mine as I won’t entertain carbage and everyone else is more than on board. He’s got a huge sweet tooth and loves puddings and deserts and has a rotund body to show for it … his life!
    🙂

on

Hi everyone, I am thinking that maybe the tomato subject is a bit of storm about nothing. We are on low carb, not no carb, we cannot avoid carbs. One medium tomato contains 16 cals 3.5g carb of which 2.4g is fibre, canned toms contain 7g carbs and 32 cals per 100g and cauliflower has 5g carbs and 25 cals per 100g. So not much in it really. I will be having bolognaise tonight making my own sauce with canned tomatoes. Not something I worry about in the whole scheme of things. I would much rather worry about it if it was a ready made tomato based pasta sauce full of sugar. Elky, I think your friend did her best and lecturing her on the difference between a fruit and a veg would not go down too well. In the worse case scenario, put up with it and live a little. Not sure what you call high carb veg in with the sauce. As long it wasn’t potatoes or sweet potatoes what could that have been. If it had been Kazz’s example then you would have something to worry about – we have all been there. I have friends who knew I didn’t eat pudding so served me tinned fruit cocktail (yes, full of syrup), I have had my chips on a separate plate – just in case I changed my mind, and the worst was when a family member on my husbands side asked what I did or didn’t eat, told her I dont eat fish at all and dont eat carbs – the meal was fish and chips and I got some shop bought coleslaw as a vegetable portion. I’m not having a go at you Elky but it is not easy for people to understand our philosophy on food and, think how difficult it was to get your head around it and how many mistakes did you make and cherish your friendship. I also wonder whether you had any alcohol that evening, just a thought.

Hope everyone else survived the weekend. Despite being good and swimming every day I have still put on half a kilo. My BG is right down so I dont worry about my weight much as I am not on a weight loss diet. Although I am noticing my legs are firming up as are my upper arms, so maybe there is some muscle there. Keep on keeping on…

on

Just looking at where this thread has been posted I notice it has moved from BSD to Fast800. I am not into TRE or fasting or worrying about ketosis, my concern is diabetic control with some weight control. Maybe I am in the wrong place. Hey ho.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Bonjour SG 😉
    We always set up the weekly thread on the Fast 800 forum . I am not aware of any shift ??

on

Yes Wendy you are right, guess I just never noticed. Maybe that is why there is so much talk about fasting, TRE and ketosis and very little about BG control. Guess it doesn’t matter much, it is all about having somewhere to be accountable. How are you feeling, a bit cooler today.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Kazzee – So the line that really caught my attention in your post was ‘I still don’t know if he did it on purpose or not but I suspect he did! ‘ What I wouldn’t do to sit down and have a good natter about that one!

When I first started on BSD I didn’t post on the forum because I did it with my best friend offline. I did it because of my diabetes and to lose weight, and my friend did it to lose weight. Although she stopped after a while, we still discuss how I’m going, BSD, low carbing etc all the time. I went to an evening ‘do’ she was holding a couple of weeks ago. The ‘buffet’ was a beef sandwich with chips, followed by a piece of cake. The only thing I could eat was a slice of beef. Luckily I was wryly amused by it, but I did find it puzzling.

Elky, I’d go for taking a sharing ‘something’ each week for a while, too. Hopefully, your friends will be interested and learn as you go along. It’ll also be a way of building up some nice meals for yourself at home.
    Jennie xx
    Btw, what nice friends you’ve got.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi again SG. I think the topics on the thread do bounce about a bit depending on queries and challenges and no doubt as a consequence of the reading and research we often do. I find it all fascinating and BG control is a major part of that .
    Yes, it’s more overcast today and and ‘only’ 29 degrees ! I had hubby check out my hernia scar ( too much information !!) and it is neat and tidy down there 😉 Result !
    Stay cool , SG !

• posted by Birdy76
    on

SG threads evolve and new people join! I know the main reason BSD came to light was because MM was told he had type2 and it is very much still the main reason people begin their journey, wether they have a diagnosis, or they are in the realms of being prediabetic or are frightened they could become diabetic if they continue down their high carb route! This means there are all sorts of questions that will get asked and it will change on the thread through natural progression. Fasting has been proven to stop the insulin resistance and is used everyday by Dr Fung on his T2 diabetic patients, so talking about TRE, fasting or OMAD is very much on the lines of BG and diabetes. You may not be worried about your weight because your main objective is to keep your BG in check and that is amazing, but just because people haven’t had a diagnosis does not make their struggle any less real. You and I and everyone else on this forum know that if they don’t do this they will get a diagnosis and that is the last thing I am sure you or any of us would want. We are not only doing ourselves a great service by continuing on this amazing Woe with all and every question that needs answering, we are also going to save our NHS millions as we won’t need to take up the time of our doctors and be prescribed the expensive medication to counter act the disease.

Tomatoes or any food source can effect people differently and we have found this out by discussing and analysing all information, so I I don’t think it is a storm in a tea cup. I feel it is the same as the carbs in general. Some of us have to be low at 20g and others can go up to 50g or somewhere in between, but until we tweak our food sources and quantities we do not know this and one tomato for one person can be the straw that broke the camels back in either keeping their BG low or discarding weight. I don’t think we can be flippant with any foods while trying to heal and mend our bodies and it has been proven time and again on here just how different our bodies our from each other’s.

We are all doing this in our own way but we are also here to help each other along, we are not judgmental although we are accountable and no question is a silly one on what ever thread we are posting too. There are new threads and old that go deeper in too each subject and we have been happy to create new ones so we don’t snare up too much in certain ones, but there is no hard or fast rules on posting except to be nice and consider others and their points of views. I think we have that in spades on here and that is why this community is invaluable to all of us and we feel safe and happy posting.

I am so pleased that you are seeing results from you daily swims SG, it is amazing what a little exercise can do for you. See another subject we are happy to talk about on One week at a time as it is a big part of your journey. Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Elky,
    I have had a few interesting experiences with chefs and specifying ketogenic in the food allergy / special needs section that always goes around with work events that involve food. – Ranging from a chef in full whites with the big hat who brought out the lid of the ice cream tub to show me that carbohydrates were not listed as an ingredient, to the village pub who offered me a range of options. I was invited to join the meal of a wedding party once and the chef told me that he had cooked a special keto meal for me and that was a tomato based sauce. – It turned out that he had asked a friend who ate low carb what was suitable rather than researching keto recipes. It wasn’t a problem in the end, I am not comfortable making small talk with strangers and it turned out that the bride had invited more people than she had told the chef, so it made it easy for me to give up my place at the meal and slip away, returning later to make a meal of the Greek yogurt and a handful of berries.
    ———————–
    I would go with the suggestion of others to take a keto friendly dish with you, and equally if your friend enjoys cooking then pointing her in the direction of suitable recipes would be something for one of your chats.
    I am with those who stick to under 20g of carbs. I think its easy to overlook how important it is to put your body in fat burning mode so that any reduction in calories doesn’t become just another calorie counting diet leading to a reduced metabolic rate.

Explaining why the low level of carbs is important to you is I am sure something that good friends would be interested in, also, at least one of them probably has a contact who would be helped if they heard about this way of eating from a witness who realised what a wide range of meal options there are.

on

Yes Birdy I know things change and new people join. I remember greeting you at the beginning of April when you joined. I wasn’t making any adverse comment except to say I hadn’t realised this posting was under Fast 800 – nothing wrong with that it was just an observation. Also, just pointing out to Elky that we have all struggled to get other people, be it friends or restaurants, to understand our WOE and that it is not always possible. Hope that explains why is made the comment about tomatoes and friends trying to do their best for us. I am not being smug about not needing to lose weight, I could do with losing at least 3 stone but it is just not my priority right now while I am trying to keep the BG under check. I still follow 800 cals and no obvious carbs so I am on the same diet as the rest of you. Glad you are still around and making a valuable contribution and, as you said in your first post, still smashing it.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !
    I see there are a few new threads being set up as we move into July ….the summer and warm weather bringing renewed motivation ?? ( not that you would ever see me in a bikini or a thong, yikes !!! )
    I am happy to set up the new weekly thread and see how it goes…I will continue hosting until I go away from the 9th to the 16th July but I will still be checking in for the occasional nagging from Sardinia 😉
    When I first started hosting the thread I wrote down the names of all the people posting so I could look out for everyone. I am aware a lot of lovely people have left the thread but if anyone is lurking and hesitating about reconnecting with us, please just take that step and come back ! I feel sad that people might be feeling bad about themselves or discouraged in someway.
    So here’s a shout out for
    Cookiemonsta (Helen)
    Busybee and Marsie
    Weeksof800
    Maximin
    jamlam
    Nelliecat
    Butterlover
    Nee
    Cpa10
    Frankie13
    KrysiaD : are you on another thread Krysia ?
    HorsegateSavannah
    StrongCurves
    avisamuelgrey
    Patricia 1066 : let us know how you are maintaining !
    And I always hold out hope that Eclectic will check back in one day !
    See you on the new thread !
    Wendy x

• posted by Birdy76
    on

SG I am afraid that is the typed word and no emotions, it can come across a little harsh sounding. I wasn’t trying to say you were smug but what I was trying to say was that your focus was on your BG and that you are doing well at keeping your BG down. That is why I use so many emojis😀. I feel it is a Way Of injecting not just colour but some emotion. I know it is not for everyone but for me emojis help make sure I don’t upset people as I would hate it if I did. I remember you welcoming me and encouraging me SG I really appreciated it and still do. Without you guys I still believe I wouldn’t have cracked it. Thank you ❤️ I am kinda smashing it but dropped out of ketosis today as my party weekend was a bit too much naughty and not enough good! But I have been fasting today and I am slowly going back in! I am very lucky as I have slipped back in and I know some people take a couple of days. I am sure it is because I have stuck rigidly to 20 and below of carbs since the beginning! Oh I don’t eat tomatoes a very often at all, even though I love them😂. (Too soon?😂😘). I appreciate each and everyone of you on here. Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi All

Just popping in briefly, even though I know this thread is really “over” now, to thank everyone for their thoughts and ideas about my dinner with friends. All your ideas and perspectives have been really helpful. I honestly didn’t mean to stir people up with my comment about tomatoes! They’re a wonderful fruit, I know that for most people they’re just fine on this WOE, but alas I am learning the hard way that I am *really* carb intolerant.

Kazz, how absolutely evil of your bestie’s partner to try to deliberately sabotage you like that!! I know it was absolutely the reverse with my friends, they were really trying to help.

And you are right to raise the wine issue, SG: I didn’t drink that night because for me alcohol is a definite trigger for “oh what the hell, yes please I’ll have thirds in the bread rolls” lol I envy people who can drink and still stay out of the carbs, since a lot of drinks are carb free themselves, but for me it completely removes inhibitions about food. Just lucky I don’t dance on tables as well, lol Plus I’m a bit obsessed with my breathalyser just now and if I drank alcohol it would register that not ketones so I couldn’t tell where I was up to!! So I am discovering the joys of water, soda water, mineral water, water with lime slices, water with lemon slices, soda water with lime slices…. Why the variety is endless lol

And Jennie you are right, those friends are the best. The host in particular is a champion – my discard to date has been noticed and instead of getting the “oh it’s a bit extreme to lose so quickly” lecture, I’m getting “you’re doing marvellously, stick with it”. That’s why I absolutely didn’t want to suggest there was any undermining going on, they are really really keen to support and help.

JGwen I did laugh at the chef showing you how ice cream was carb free! Oh if only it was so simple lol You and SG are right, this WOE is not so well understand yet as, say, “Allergic to shellfish”. But with so many of us following it, I guess it will get better understood with time.

OK, that’s it from me on this thread, I’ll jump over to this week’s for updates. I just wanted to thank you all for your ideas, I really do appreciate it.

Elky

Please log in or register to post a reply.