One Week at a time starting the 25th of June

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Just a quick follow up after my post yesterday. My blood glucose ping ponged all over the place overnight and it took me until 4:30am to clear the glucose out of my blood, at which point I had a hypo. I woke up at 7am feeling not rested at all, in spite of having gone to bed earlier than usual, and like I had a severe hangover. Lesson learned.

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

So glad you’re home Wendy and the op went well. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take it easy and enjoy being pampered by your OH

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Wendy, Glad the op went well. – Take care and I hope you return to fitness ready for your holiday.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ..back after a pretty lazy day. I learnt the hard way I need to get up slowly …ouch !! Nothing unbearable and I only have anti inflammatory medication for 2 days so I am hoping to recover fairly quickly. I had my turmeric/ginger/almond milk golden latte this morning for an extra anti inflammatory boost. I will be careful Allie ! I mustn’t laugh too much either 😉

Sunshine girl ..enjoy your pool.Unfortunately I can’t do any swimming for some time. I will be staying in the shade while we are experiencing this heatwave and yes, like you all our shutters are closed against the heat. Fortunately our old farmhouse is cool with stone floors . Don’t get disheartened SG , you know what to do and what works.

SixT the Bac exams were conducted without disruption but the DNB ( Diplôme National du Brevert) the school leaving exam ( pre lycée) has been rescheduled from Thursday and Friday this week to Monday and Tuesday next week because of the current heatwave. Fortunately I am not involved in invigilation this year. Take care in the Uk also xx

Lots of discussion about low carb recipes. I did have a seed cracker moment and I have tried coconut flour pancakes but to be honest I haven’t felt a need for them lately. It’s important for Birdy to find acceptable alternatives to bread etc for her son and I am sure they have their uses. I am still trying to wean myself off dairy and am enjoying my fermented coconut yoghurt. Merry I was able to view your crackers on Flickr !

Thanks caronl ! I always respect your advice and will not be lifting any kettles ! Thanks for your good wishes, Sunderland.

Welcome back Mariet ! Good to see you back with us .You will soon discard those 2 kilos and well done on giving up smoking ! All the very best. Maybe SixT , Birdy and Allie could join you ?? I will get told off for nagging if I am not careful 😉 I have never smoked so it’s easy for me to say just give up but I know it’s not that easy .

It’s a busy time for you arcticfox.Go carefully. The fluid retention will get sorted …but vertigo and dizziness is no joke. I have never bothered with ‘resistant starches’ either…but it was an interesting experiment.

Beegirl lovely to think of you doing woodwork.! My son is a carpenter and the house is dotted with pieces he has made during his training.

Welcome New day rising ! I would say drink your tea if it is important to you but yes, steer clear of any artificially flavoured drinks. I love my sparkling water (San Pellegrino and Badoit) or just a jug of tap water with mint, lemon and ginger .
    Elky I will see you over on the Fasting thread !
    Love to everyone x

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

I’m here. 170.8 the last two days.
    Yesterday I had an ice cream cone from QT, it’s a big travel stop/gas station here in the states. It’s really hot do my daughter and I always stop by there during errands for a break from the heat. But I told my daughter it would be the last time; I really want to stick to this woe and my stomach was so upset afterwards that it felt like I spent the rest of the day in the restroom. I’m brainstorming alternatives like making our own popsicles out of homemade flavored water or making sure I bring some cold drinks drinks for the ride.
    Today was okay, I ate out with my mother and sisters. I picked the best I could – cauliflower rice bowl with grilled chicken and cucumbers.
    I also recognize that my lack of sleep makes doing my best harder so I’m going to try to go to sleep earlier.

My goal is to workout this afternoon.

• posted by Elky
    on

Wendy, so glad you’re home and feeling well!

Merry the biscuits look yummy, I am so impressed you didn’t sample them, I couldn’t resist trying mine!!

SG and arcticfox, really interested in your experiences with the reheated carbs. I have a dear friend who is diabetic and is *trying* to follow this WOE but always looking for ways to be able to eat carbs. I have heard him speak of the reheated theory, so I will pass on your observations that lots of people find it unsuccessful. And that it can even make things worse for some people! He also thinks that sometimes he can get away with carbs if he has lots of protein and fat with them (e.g. some pasta sauces). Has anyone else observed that or is it a bit of wishful thinking? Sorry to ask so many questions but I’m not diabetic so don’t have a blood glucose monitor and can’t test these things out for myself.

Amz, glad you’re sticking with it! Have you looked at the diet doctor site for home made popsicle/ice cream options? They have some recipes, but I haven’t made any of them so don’t know if they’re any good or not.

Kafin, are you around lovely? I posted a long waffle on the fasting thread about my recent fast – long story short for this thread: after 72 hours fasting my breathalyser got to 0.85, so you getting to 0.6 on a “normal” day is just outstanding, I think. Hope all is well with you <crosses fingers>

Have a grand day everyone, Elky

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi Elky, take a look at the article I posted in the TAKE A LOOK thread. Unfortunately the answer isn’t very simple about what things will affect someone as what they are finding in the PREDICT study is that there is huge individual variation in how we process carbs, fats and proteins. For instance I cannot have toast with butter (combining carb and fat) without horrendous spikes in my blood sugar levels (and that is what I ate for breakfast for years growing up – no wonder I was always hungry), but can have an ice cream (on a stick or in a bowl – not with a cone) and it doesn’t spike me at all. For someone else, this could be completely opposite. Tim Spector (I follow him on Twitter) can have pizza without any blood sugar spikes and thinks it is because of the fat in the cheese and the fibre in the vegetables, whereas it seems to be one of my worst foods. I have also had poor blood sugar control overnight when I’ve combined a higher amount of carbs with a higher amount of protein. When I do that, it does seem to moderate the peak a little bit, but then it sends me into just as deep a hypo as if I had had the carbs alone. So far the best combination for me seems to be fat plus fibre. I had a really dense rye bread (I think called Friesian bread or Roggebrood where you can see the individual grains – it is of Dutch origin) for lunch with cheese and avocado and my levels stayed completely flat line. From my endurance athlete days, I always suspected I was really great at metabolizing fat and I’ve always seemed to need much more fibre in my diet than anyone else in my family as well. I had a coach who used to marvel at my endurance, but would shake his head and say “but no speed…” I seem to flip into fat burning mode after about 40 min of exercise. The first 40 minutes can be absolute torture, but once I cross that threshold, I can just keep going forever. Not really sure now that I’m writing this why I have a desk job. Maybe that is a large part of the problem for me. I should be joining Birdy on her night shift or JGwen on her farm!

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

This thread moves faaaast 😅
    I’m glad your op went well Wendy! You must be glad this is all behind you.
    I hope the heat wave is over in France. We do get long heat wave here in Australia but I swear that 40C here feels like 34-35C in France. Heat is different in Europe, probably more humid, and 40 degrees would be hard to bear.

I’m happy to have discarded a further 800gr which takes me to a total of 4.5kg. The best bit is that I am now in single digits towards goal weight : 9.9kg to go. 😊
    Still have that metallic taste in mouth so must be in ketosis? Not much hunger and 12-16 hrs fast are easy. Loving it!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi Elky – I saw the recent posts on the Fasting thread and I’m noodling on them! Congrats on the 72 hours and the shift up in your breathalyzer! After my mini binge the other day, mine stayed around 0.7 or 0.6 (regardless of time of day or whether I had just eaten or not) the whole time until I messed up last night. It was 2am and I was just so tired and so fed up of not being able to sleep and being awake by myself so I had some cream, sour cream, cheese and yoghurt. Unfortunately this morning I was down to 0.2 so I guess there were more carbs than fat. My scientific! conclusions from that are that once you are in ketosis and the numbers keep steadily increasing, they stay at that level much more easily as long as you don’t mess up with your carbs (and probably protein too). So now, I have to get back to that. I’m still not sure about OMAD – I find it hard to do but I just picked up some work for the next 3-5 days with a lot of walking so I’m thinking I’ll keep with OMAD for the duration of the gig and just eat when I get home. Still no shift in my weight or measurements.
    Merry – those biscuits looked amazing! I don’t trust myself to make more than single portions of anything just yet 😁
    Birdy – hope they found your veins, I have the same problem and I always bruise horribly 🤞
    Thank you Arcticfox and everyone else that was kind enough to congratulate me – I’ve accepted my first case and now I wait a couple of weeks for the judge to formally appoint me in court but I have all the case files already so am working my way through to familiarize myself. At 46, I’ve finally had a child! A 16 year old girl, just slightly different from a 14 year old, one eyed cat but if I can get her through the next few years with both eyes intact then I can say my parenting skills are improving!
    I’m lucky enough to hear regularly from Wendy (and others) via Whatsapp etc and I’m so glad things went well for her – if I was even remotely near France, I’d be there lifting everything for her since she lifts me up every day. I’ve told her not to laugh to avoid pulling the stitches and sit in a cool corner of her house and think somber thoughts until she heals.
    Congrats Amz and LouiseKangaroo! Hope everyone else’s week is going well – for those stuck in the heatwave, stay cool! xx

• posted by Elky
    on

Arcticfox, thank you so much I will definitely follow up that link!

LouiseK – well done, that’s a great discard!!

Kafin, I did laugh at retaining two eyes being a Key Performance Indicator 🙂 And your observations about how the numbers on the breathalyser work are interesting – I will have to watch it closely and see if that holds true for me too. For me, yoghurt is a bit of a problem – I really like it but it does seem to react more “carb like” than I would expect, given what the nutritional panel on the side of the tub says. Ah well, I guess it’s all learning – I’m just not buying it at present to avoid temptation!

Cheers, Elky

• posted by RainyMH
    on

Hello, I have just joined. I was diagnosed with T2 in April, HBA1C 51, now in remission from a testing of 45 in June 🙂 I used the Med diet LCHF and lost 11pounds. Now need to give a real good kicking to my 5st 3lbs weight loss so here I am looking for support and entertainment 🙂 Any tips and ‘watch out for’s greatfully received!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all and RainyMH, you will receive a warm welcome on here and on any of the threads. Your ‘watch outs for’ are so many and we are all learning all the time. So that can be seen with the insulin resistant carbs (ie. heating, cooling and reheating) which a couple of us found didn’t work and increased our blood glucose levels just as much as the real thing, in my case a slice of bread. The carb question on here depends on what you want to achieve. As a diabetic I want stable blood glucose and, over 3 years have discovered that any starchy white carbs, hot, cold, reheated, makes no difference, they all increase BG. If you are doing this as a quick weight loss diet then cutting out these carbs will give you much better results and help prevent cravings. If you are taking things steady and have no BG issues then even DrM says you can have brown stuff (rice, pasta) or things like quinoa. So really it is up to each individual to make that call. I dont think carbs are the enemy, I think quantity and how often is more of an issue for those who do eat them. As we all know, carbs create blood sugar spikes with rapid drops which lead to wanting more carbs i.e. carb addiction so, for most of use, not eating carbs at all is the solution. I really dont miss them but like anything you cant have you do sometimes get a little twinge.

I had a small loss of 0.3kg so maybe I am back to losing but BG was up a bit too, all a bit of a balancing act. Temps yesterday reached 40 and is set to be higher today so excuse me if I hunker down and do nothing but relax and drink plenty of water. I will have a swim later tonight, didn’t have time this morning as it is my shopping day and by the time we got back around 11 am it was already 34 degrees. I must try not to complain about it.

Keep safe everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by RainyMH
    on

Thank you so much Sunshine-Girl – love your name!!! I seem to be Ok with Low Carb, only very occasionally will I be naughty and have a tiny bit of french bread (I did with some mussels the other day, first time in 6 weeks). I am now starting to count the calories with the low carb as this is something that I have not yet attempted, I just stuck to LCHF to start with. I am enjoying the food as, luckily for me, it is most of the things I enjoy although I am having to cut back on the cheese which has always been my go-to fast food (by the chunk!). I have a sedentary job – hypnotherapist/psychotherapist – so I am sitting for most of the day and people will think it strange if I suddenly stand up during a session 🙂 Instead I am trying to re-organise my days and give a little more time between clients for a little ‘movement’. My husband has also bought ‘us’ a treadmill so that brisk walking shouldn’t be too much of a problem – he has always wanted one so it is a good excuse. I am really looking forward to getting to know people on here and having support from like minded people.

• posted by alliecat
    on

WELCOME, Welcome, Rainy! You’ve chosen a marvelous thread to introduce yourself on, for there are many of us very
    seasoned BSDers here, newcomers, and others at all steps on the journey. This becomes a support group for living,
    not just the BSD. We do laugh and cry, and engage in hilarious self deprecatory humor, when the mood strikes! 🙂
    Shout out and ask anything or everything that concerns you, and someone will soon be along with advice, or tea
    and sympathy, or whatever is needed. Your profile indicates that you’d like to banish 5 stone. Everything is possible
    with this lifestyle, and you’ll hear stunning stories of such success every day of the week if you throw your lot in with
    us! I got rid of 10 stone over a 10 month period, but the real victory is that I’ve kept it off for 2+ years. We’re all looking
    forward to getting to know you, so that we can share in your victories too! You will never regret your decision to change
    the trajectory of your life 🙂 Very best to you, traveling this road with us. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Allie

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Afternoon all – quick visit before I head off to collect kids from school!

Wendy – glad you’re doing okay, hope the heat isn’t too bad for you.

Rainy – welcome! You’re so fortunate to work as a hypnotherapist/psychotherapist; although it is very sedentary! I completed my HPD and other training some years ago but have never made the move to work in the field – maybe one day.

We’ve got pulled pork in the oven for dinner tonight, probably paired with a keto roll, which I’m quite looking forward to. Hoping for BBQ weather this weekend too!

• posted by RainyMH
    on

Thank you BeeGirl, pulled pork sounds great! We have Chilli tonight, with a little guacamole on the side for me and the others will have Taco’s or Brown rice. Yes, I LOVE my job, get a real kick out of helping people but the sitting still does have its down sides:)

Feeling part of the group already!

• posted by RainyMH
    on

Thank you Alliecat for your Welcome! 🙂

Wow, 10 stone in 10 months, that’s going some, well done! So looking forward to joining you and the others on the success road …. Looking forward to a nice glass of red wine to celebrate, or maybe a vodka and tonic … first a few more pounds to loose …

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Good afternoon y’all🤣❤️

Articfox I would not wish nights on anyone my lovely, but they do serve a purpose🤣. If I didn’t work nights twice a week I would have to do a LOT more exercise and I am just not in that frame of mind at the moment! I do want to begin swimming again soon, but I am concerned about my rotator cuff as it was beginning to play up after prolonged lengths of the pool 🏊‍♀️, nut maybe it won’t be as bad as this woe has certainly done wonders for my injured knee! Lightbulb 💡 moment🤣

Elky as always lovely to read your questions and enthusiastic posts. You are an inspiration to me.

Great results lkangaroo and others on here, sorry I can’t remember all the names today as I have night shift brain and and abscess pain!

Sunderland how are you doing today? Allie lovely to see you today too my mother butterfly 🦋❤️❤️

Wendy great to hear you are on the mend my buddy❤️❤️

6T what you up to are you ok? I don’t think I have seen you on for a couple of days?

Beegirl your supper sounds lovely, is it a BSD friendly recipe? If so can you share on here as it is one of our favourites and I haven’t touched it as frightened it is too much sugar🙄. I hope your 🐝 are enjoying the sun.

Rainy welcome welcome welcome! So lovely to meet you and well done on your new found safe levels. This woe is extraordinary in many ways! It is great for discarding weight, healing bones and muscle and many other health benefits. Drinking the 3 litres of water a day is great too. I have discarded 3 stone in 12 weeks❤️😉. I have low carb 20g or lower each day but that is what suits me and it is not the same for everyone. This woe is not one size fits all but it is easy to tweak to your individual needs. Like Allie said ask anything as no question is a silly one and we do not judge on here. All the best on your journey!

Kafin hello my lovely so glad you have your first child! Congratulations and yes if you could keep both of her eyes then you will be on the right parenting track😁😉🥰.

Hope you are all having a great day. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Sunderland
    on

A very warm welcome (in every sense of the word as pretty cosy here in East Anglia at the moment) to you RainyMH. You will find these Fora (?) folk are a huge support whatever your goal. I am here to lose weight and others have other issues but each individual, it seems to me, receives the caring support they need which is amazing.

I don’t post very frequently as to be honest there are so many threads but I do try to keep up-to-date and know if I have a question it will be answered.

Amusingly I discovered I was in ketosis the other day without knowing fully what it meant and have definitely made progress by no carbs. In fact I don’t seem to have the same hunger as in the past and really enjoy my meals.

Birdy76, I am doing very well and thank you for asking. Btw are you a nurse?

Take care everyone and keep up the good self worth work 😉

Sunderland (long story)

• posted by alliecat
    on

We’re all very curious about your username, Sunderland! 🙂 You have picked up very quickly that we are one big family
    here, and I think you do a great job supporting everyone on this thread. It can be overwhelming to sort out all of the
    personalities when we have no “visual aids” to depend on! I’m very curious to know how you are accomplishing “no
    carbs”, since they lurk everywhere, and are certainly present in all vegetables, as well as yogurt. Do you use one of the
    apps to track them? I was able to stay under 20g/day for 10 months until I reached maintenance, but today, 26 months
    into maintaining, my tipping point seems to be a max of 35g/day. Like you, my goal was weight loss, and a lot of it!
    I hope that you’re happy with your progress, too. This lifestyle is life changing, and I wish you every success!

Allie

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hello everyone, and Birdy, it’s so sweet of you to ask after me! It’s been a sobering last couple of days. One of my lovely set of neighbours, we are a close bunch, has just been diagnosed with a very rare, incurable and very aggressive brain disease. The prognosis is weeks. It’s frightening, she has got so ill so quickly. And her equally lovely, sweet, husband is in the middle of chemo….Life is so unfair, and precious (I know, says the smoker, but at least I convinced my children it is a filthy habit; “do as I say, not as I do…”. ). Hold your loved ones tight! xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh I am so sorry to hear that 6T. We lost a beloved sister 19 years ago this year but it seems like yesterday. Sue had a brain tumour and had to say goodbye to her two young children at the age of 34. Heartbreaking. I am sure you will offer all the support you can to your neighbour and her husband at this traumatic time.

Yes, definitely hold your loved ones very close and never take anything for granted xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sunderland, yes, Birdy is our BSd “nurse'” tendering to us all !! She so easily could be , she has all the qualities, empathy and gentle care and consideration for all. Nothing is too much trouble for her.
    I once referred to Allie as my ‘comfort blanket’ and she has remained that…generously offering constant support, advice and encouragement …she is an amazing woman.

As you see Sunderland, we are a lovely bunch on this forum and everyone has their place and is warmly welcomed into the group, lots of different, lovely, quirky personalities but we are all here to help each other whatever the challenges

So Welcome RainyMH ! By the way I could suggest a couple of clients for you who could maybe benefit from hypnosis to give up smoking !! Just joking, 6T, Allie and Birdy !! 😉 Don’t tell me off 😉

It is very hot here ( I’m in SW France ) but I have kept in the shade drinking lots. The tenderness around my stitches is easing , the arnica and Golden Lattes are working their magic !

• posted by Sunderland
    on

Alliecat, I am feeling very much hoisted by my own petard (if you get my drift?). I am an amateur in this forum so what I meant was is that I no longer eat bread or cakes and feel so much better for it. And am losing weight which is my goal. I certainly don’t understand the rest of the science. Sorry if I mislead you.

Re my name I was adopted at six months, in my late 20s I found out my birth mother came from Sunderland and then very recently as a much older woman found that my birth father also came from Sunnderland. They met in Aden during the war where she was an RAF nursing sister and he was the Harbour Master! I feel so at peace now that I finally know the truth but I must emphasis that I had a very happy life in my adopted family. Hence the long story….

Sunderland

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Oh 6T I am so sorry about your neighbour and like Wendy has said already I am sure you will be there when needed to support her and her husband. Sending hugs 6T and we are all here for you too. Yes I have managed to get my boy to 13 and he has never tried the filthy habit. I started when I was 11!!! Most children seem to try it in senior school but thankfully he hasn’t and hopefully he never will. Take care hun.

Sunderland no I am not a nurse but did consider it at one time. I work in a supermarket, I used to be a TA and worked with children with autism and learning difficulties, I loved it but I found I was doing all the teachers work and getting none of the benefits, or pay! You have settled in so well and it is fine that you only post on here hun there are no hard and fast rules on what you do on here, it is your journey and this forum is for whatever need hun. Support, advice, a rant or just a chance to have a giggle with someone who is in the same boat as you. This place is home to a lot of us.

Wendy you so so sweet thank you. I love people and I love helping people in anyway I can.

• posted by New Day Rising
    on

6T – sorry to hear about your friend. It’s so sad when you hear news like this and it is a sharp reminder that we need to live our lives to the fullest. However that might be for each person.

I am on here purely to lose weight, but I also have PCOS, so I know that I am more likely to get diabetes as I get older. Turning 40 and have young kids made me kick start my weight loss and get healthy.

If anyone likes Miso soup. I made a lovely noodle soup today that only has 153 calories in it and it filled me up so much.
    I had a miso soup pack and made 160ml of soup and then I bought some Konjac noodles and added 3/4 of the pack to the soup after I’d fried them with some garlic. I had a pack of king prawns and spinach and added those in too and it has been my most favourite meal so far. I am only on day 4 though. Just wanted to share as it was really easy to make.

Has anyone tried coconut milk? Is it ok in coffee? Answers on a postcard. I know we all have different tastes, but thought I’d ask.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi new day rising your miso soup sounds lovely and I a, glad you enjoyed it. I have gained my love of cooking again from being on this woe and it warms my heart when I know exactly what is going into my sons food❤️

I personally don’t like coconut milk unless it is the kind that goes in a Thai curry🤣. I have tried all dairy replacement milks and they just don’t match up for me! I have double cream in my coffee as it doesn’t spike your insulin like milk can. As you say we all haven’t different tastes so get some hun and give it a go as you may find you like it. I would say though that it would need to be unsweetened. Hope this helps. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi 6T, just wishing you lots of strength in supporting your neighbours. There are some very tough times ahead. I hope that the husband’s prognosis is more positive. As you say, life can be unfair and is very precious. Very best to you. xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

This is tragic, 6T. As you already know, we are very attuned to each other here, and we notice if someone is quiet for a few
    days. I was a PA to a prominent brain surgeon in much younger years, and sadly, I know what’s ahead for your neighbor.
    I still remember the different classification of very invasive tumors, and I can make an educated guess what type of
    lesion your neighbor has. May her passing be quick and with a minimum of suffering. Such injustices bring as all up
    short and put the sanctity of life in perspective. You have a large heart, and I know that you will do what you can to
    support this couple. Thinking of you all,

Allile

• posted by Elky
    on

Good morning everyone 😊

Oh 6T, I am so so sorry to hear your news about your close neighbour. And so unfair that her husband is facing his own battles, they must both be absolutely reeling. Thinking of you, sending you positive vibes to help you support them. Hugs.

Rainy, let me add my welcome to everyone else’s, this forum is a really helpful place to spend time. And it’s filled with some really nice people! I think an important tip is to drink heaps of water – it’s an easy thing to skip but it really is important to try to do it. For me personally, sticking below 20g of carbs is also key, but I know some others here can get away with a bit more and still discard. It’s about playing around with things and finding what works for your body.

SG, you’re so allowed to complain about the heat – just wait until you hear me in summer lol (Sneak preview: “I’m hot, I’m sweaty, I’m so sick of summer, why does it last so looooong, this sucks” <in the intonation of a whiny and over-tired four year old> Yep, very mature – not! Lol)

Allie, I shake my head in awe every time I read about your discard. I am so impressed and – I’ll be honest – envious. Most of the time I feel like I’m taking it off with a piece of fine sandpaper, the progress is so slow. I keep telling myself I didn’t put it on overnight, so… But you really are an inspiration!!

BeeGirl, which keto roll recipe do you use? Some of them look a bit, errr, dubious, so I’d love a recommendation for a good one.

Sunderland that’s a lovely story about finding out that your birth parents came from the same place 😊

Birdy, don’t you work in a café some days too? You must get heaps of exercise from running around at your jobs, I don’t know how you would manage to squeeze in extra “formal” exercise. I’m very impressed <doffs cap to Birdy>.

I have shared your experience with knee problems: my Achilles is *slowly* getting better (not much for it but rest and gentle stretching and strengthening exercises, experts told me) and that frustrated me. Then at some point over the last couple of weeks I suddenly realised that low level pain in one knee, accompanied by sudden intense pain when I do something like turn suddenly and put it under stress, has just gone. It has been there for *years*, sometimes getting so bad I’d hobble off to the physio and get it worked on and strapped until the worst passed. And now it’s just not there. I even experimented with some squats the other night, which used to lead to sharp stabbing pains so I couldn’t do them… and no grumbling from the knee. Nothing at all. So my discard so far has clearly already had really positive effects for my poor old body lol I need to get in some more exercise, which is tricky just now because of the Achilles, but I feel like it’s going in the right direction.

NewDay, I haven’t tried coconut milk in coffee so can’t advise. I did try some coconut yoghurt which was low carb and absolutely delicious – only problem was that it was *so* delicious I couldn’t keep out of it, and ate all the mini tubs across one weekend. So I banned it from the house lol I’m in Birdy’s camp, I use heavy cream in coffee if I don’t drink it black.

I’m mixing it up a bit today and experimenting with breakfast being my OMAD instead of dinner. I’ll be interested to see how it goes. Felt a bit strange eating breakfast after so long without but hey, a change is as good as a holiday, right?

And one small triumph for me: work has been absolutely foul the last couple of days, so busy I don’t have time to scratch myself. And it’s been that really frustrating kind of busy where I don’t actually feel I’ve accomplished anything, just raced around in circles flapping. Then last night I realised I hadn’t even *thought* of hitting the office fund raising chocolate stash – I’m a comfort eater from way back, so not being tempted by the siren song of chocolatey goodness is a little miracle. I’m sure I’ll be tempted by chocolate again in the future, but just now I’m considering it a small breakthrough. 😊

Have a grand day everyone, Elky

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Thank you all for such kind words. Obviously this is not a close family member, so nothing like the trauma that Wendy and I am sure others also have been through, but it’s still very nearby, and they are just such lovely people. It is not a tumour, it is Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, and obviously progressing very very quickly. As I understand it, there are only something like 100 new cases a year or something in the UK. It’s just been so sudden. She will not be coming home and as I understand it, already beyond knowing really if someone is visiting her in hospital. Difficult to know what to do or say to him; poor man, they are a devoted couple and he is also really not well. It’s hard to know whether to ask if he wants someone to sit with him to hold his hand whilst he is holding hers. I shall bake a cake and make something for the freezer in the morning; seems very small but you know how you feel you have to do something. I am glad to read some positive, uplifting posts here! All best to all.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you for your kind words, Elky, but I assure you that there is nothing at all remarkable about me. I just kept my head
    down, didn’t fixate on past mistakes and failures, and I didn’t project into the future either 🙂 Discovering the BSD was
    like unearthing a delicious secret, and now I want to share it with everyone! Chronological age or being post menapausal
    seems to have no bearing on success, and it is truly within our reach if we want it badly enough. It is my pleasure
    to share the “gospel” with anyone who wants to listen, and I’m here most days to do exactly that. I really enjoy your
    thoughtful posts, and look forward to many more of them 🙂

Allie

• posted by Elky
    on

6T, I think taking food to your neighbour is a lovely thing to do. I dare say turning around and cooking for himself is the last thing he wants to do after a day of sitting with his wife, and at least if he has good already-prepared meals in the house then he will be getting something nutritious rather than having a slice of toast or going to bed hungry because he just can’t be bothered with anything. This may be the wrong forum to say it, but I think that feeding others is a way of nurturing them, and I’m sure he will appreciate your gesture. I don’t know whether to ask if he wants you to sit with him sometimes, I’m not very good at that kind of thing, I always feel awkward and clumsy even though I know I’d be delighted if someone made the offer to me in similar circumstances. I don’t think you’ve said how old he is, but if he’s not a young man then he might not feel able to ask for help and comfort, even if he really needs it. If you can, maybe you could just say, “Would you like me to sit with you?” In bad times people sometimes say things to me like “Do let me know if there’s anything I can do,” and I always feel I can’t ask for anything because I think they don’t really want to do it. Whereas if I was just asked straight out, “Would you like me to do such-and-such” or “Can I do such-and-such for you” then I might be more able to say yes. I don’t know if your neighbour is a bit like that too? Oh dear, I am so sorry, I don’t think I am helping you at all!!

Allie, I sometimes think not projecting into the future is pretty remarkable!! And your comment on chronological age and post menopausal status not being factors in success or otherwise is so encouraging – see, I told you you were inspiring 😉

Cheers, Elky

• posted by Kafin13
    on

6T, I’m so sorry to hear about your neighbors and I agree with Elky about feeding being a form of nurturing. When my Dad was dying, we so appreciated that from people because we just didn’t have the emotional strength to bother.
    Birdy – yay for good bloodwork and a big “I told you so” for the doctors 🤣. Are you still stalled? I am but at least it’s not going up!
    Welcome Rainy – let the discards begin!
    Elky, that’s awesome about your knee! I guess that’s another thing we should be looking at when we’re discouraged by the scales – there are so many benefits!
    Yay for you, Duckie – you’re inspirational and I’m so glad you got to keep your license and independence.
    I’ve spent part of the day walking around Universal Studios carrying a camera bag for the guy I’m doing a short gig with – we have to take pictures of all the different employee uniforms so it’s a lot of standing and walking but luckily he wanted to wrap up at 3 which suited me. Think it will take about 4 more days to complete. I sat there while he ate lunch and drunk my fizzy water and it was hard as hell! He had an interesting story to tell me – I know him from NBCUniversal as we worked together and his side gig is as a photographer – he’s very slim, doesn’t drink, smoke and eats very moderately but recently had a check up and the doctor told him he was about 5 years away from a heart attack. Purely genetic. His doctor put him on a diet (that he developed after having the same problem) which removed all fruit as that’s where he was getting all his sugar and allowed him 150g of carbs a day, lots of fish and veggies. He’s completely reversed all his numbers in 90 days and lost 30lbs which he didn’t need to lose but just happened! Good to hear that some doctors are in the know 👍
    I also noticed so many morbidly obese people in the park and it generally ran right through the family. Really sad to see that that’s the majority not the minority. Some were getting mobility scooters but many were walking and looked so uncomfortable, I just wanted to help them and give them some hope.
    On that note – I read another chapter of The Obesity Code and it just resonates so much. I strongly recommend newbies read it or one of the other books as I think it acts as great motivation and I keep getting lightbulb moments. Right now I’m t the point of our bodies returning to their set point, can’t wait to find out how to lower it!!

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Morning all
    Quick post while I wait for my laptop to boot at work!

Birdy – the pulled pork is the recipe in the new Fast 800 recipe book. I’ve not got it to hand, but essentially it’s a pork shoulder joint marinated overnight the cooked for 3-4 hours on gas mark 3. From memory, the marinade is juice from 2 oranges, juice from 4? limes, 1tsp allspice, 1tsp ground cumin, 1tsp fine sea salt, 1tsp ground black pepper, 45g tomato puree and 30g chipotle paste. It’s amazing! I keep freezing the juices after it’s cooked as I’m sure there must be something I can do with it! And yes thanks, the bees are loving the weather!

6T – sorry to hear about your neighbour. Slightly different but my mother in law was diagnosed with a brain tumour in Feb and died mid April – the speed of these things is indeed brutal. I’m sure he will very much appreciate your cooking.

NDR – never tried drinking coconut milk I must admit; but we made a nice beef rendang with some in the other night, which I can recommend!

Elky – the keto rolls are from the keto bread recipe on the diet doctor site. Definitely give them a go; they’re great. I freeze them then defrost and heat in the oven and use for pulled pork or burgers. Couldn’t believe how well they worked.

Right better do some work!

on

6T Im so sorry to hear about your neighbour 🙁 this is heartbreaking and is a strong reminder not to take anything for granted.
    My neighbour had the same thing happened to her, got diagnosed with brain tumour and she was gone within 3 weeks. She was living a very healthy and active life too.
    On a more upside note, my best man friend had a brain tumour diagnosed too. He was in his thirty at the time. Well he went to a stringent keto diet and the tumour stopped growing despite all doctors prognostics. He lost a lot of weight too but it’s been 5 years and he’s still here 🙂 the tumour is still here too they can’t remove it but it’s under control.

AFM I had a pretty tough night. I was alone with the kids – I have 3. And two of them were sick, vomiting and feverish. Couldn’t make it to work today as they are still under the weather plus I do feel rubbish myself too now. It’s so hard to be sick when you have small people sick too and asking for nurturing. Luckily my husband is getting home soon.
    I hate a bag of chips so I’m already over the 20g carbs today but will focus on no more carbs, lots of water and plenty of fat?!

• posted by Elky
    on

Thanks BeeGirl, that’s perfect timing as I’ll give the rolls a crack this weekend. And brilliant that they freeze well so I can’t eat the lot in one sitting lol Keep your fingers crossed for me that they work.

Sounds like you’ve had a long day Kafin, well done on resisting lunch temptations!! I was interested that you’re finding The Obesity Code so interesting, I haven’t read it but it sounds like it’s definitely worth checking out. And yes I’m pleased about my knee, I’m just amazed that I didn’t notice it immediately. Talk about being over-obsessed with the scales – JGwen would no doubt just shake her head at me lol

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi 6T,
    I am with some of the others, if your neighbour is currently having treatment for his own health problems he will really need nutritious food right now and keeping all the little day to day stresses down can only be a help.
    How about a rota so a few neighbours can help out. – That way he will feel the support from people which may mean as much as the support itself?

Maybe you could make some meals in packed lunch format so he can take food with him while he sits with his wife, and a flask of a hot drink as we all know what vending machines are like, as well as some items that he can stick in the microwave when he wants a hot meal. (Maybe stick a note on the top of how many minutes in the microwave).
    —————-
    The other question is how was the domestic chores split between him and his wife. – If he ends up struggling to do some of the tasks that she always did, its only going to pile the stress on him and that will make his own health problems worse. If she was the one doing the washing and ironing, or the shopping, or cleaning then taking up some of that slack could reduce the stress he is under. –

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you beegirl I will give it a go! Sounds delicious❤️ Elky thank you for the heads up on the lasagna, when my auntie died I was left her automatic meat slicer so I should be able to create it with no problem. He can take the extra protein as he is a gym bunny 😂😂

So many kind words for 6T and it is heart warming, she is a intelligent woman who I am sure will figure out how to help her neighbour the best she can. I wish all neighbours were the same. I remember when I was a child we had great neighbours who would always be there but were never intrusive. In fact our immediate ones were called aunty and uncle when we were little as a show of respect! This world has become a crazy place and we tend to keep to ourselves in fear of upsetting, or getting accused of stuff we haven’t done! It is very sad that it is only 30years since and the world can be so hard to navigate😢. Ah well we do have the forum and there are still liked minded people out there, even though sometimes they are hard to find!

The sun is shining bright in West Sussex and I am enjoying it in my garden for a little while, before I go and get on with the daily chores and baking for my son the Keto way😂.

I hope you all have a great day and thank you for all your kind words on my results. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by wendleg
    on

It’s Friday evening here. Just checking in. Healing very well. Have stopped all meds and feeling great . Still drinking my golden lattes 😉

Hope you and the children are better LouiseRoo. How are you doing Amz ? Hope the heat is bearable and you are able to resist the ice creams . Elky ..yes, as Kafin suggests…have a look at Jason Fung’s books The Obesity Code, The Diabètes Code and his Complete Gide to Fasting plus of corse Gary Taubes which Allie and Julia ( California Girl ) always recommend !

Thinking of you all and wishing you a peaceful, relaxing weekend. It’s often a quiet time on the forum but pop in if you need moral support or just fancy a chat ! xx

• posted by Kafin13
    on

We’ve stopped for lunch and I’m sitting here surrounded by delicious smells while I guzzle sparkling water and pretend that it’s not my stomach howling for mercy.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Resist, resist Kirsten !! Is that fast food you can smell ? Tell yourself you don’t need that carbage !!!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Wendy it’s not fast food!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh heck …sorry Kirsten …but well done on resisting !!! xxx

on

Question for thé pro, do you think I need to change battery in my scales?
    I weighted at the same weight 3 days ago however my fat % went down significantly. When I wasn’t on a “diet” my fat percentage were fairly stable, although would come up when my weight crept in so I believe the measuring itself works.
    Anyway, for those who like data, 3 days ago I was at 74.9kg with 28.1% fat and today I’m the same weight but 26.8% fat. This translates in 1kg of fat lost?!
    I wouldn’t be surprised to have retained more water than usual as I have up salt in my food.
    WDYT?

• posted by Elky
    on

Just popping in to say hello to everyone. The sun is shining now but the forecast is for rain later so I’m trying to get all my laundry out on the line this morning.

Wendy, great news that your recovery continues to go so well. I have read Fung’s book on fasting but I’ll also look for the other two that you and Kafin recommended.

Kafin well done on continuing to resist temptation!! 🙂

Sorry LouiseK, I can’t suggest anything about your scales, mine aren’t nearly so high tech. But if you’re worried then I can’t see how it would hurt to just go ahead and put new batteries in. I am not sure that I would put too much faith in their precise accuracy because I think even the really sophisticated scanning machines have trouble with some measurements and they cost thousands of dollars. JGwen posted about this recently, I think they sometimes don’t distinguish well between visceral fat and muscle? But I’m sure others will know more. I think if you’re happy with the general direction your scales are headed in that’s the important thing rather than being too concerned with the exact percentages.

Hope everyone has a good weekend, I’m off to hang out more laundry and then have a bash at some low carb baking.

Cheers, Elky

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Thanks for the reminder about the laundry needing hanging out Elky – needed doing here too and I nearly forgot. Although it is only hanging up here, not out as we are not allowed to hang laundry outside in my block of flats (no smoking on the balconies allowed either and even though I don’t smoke so it is good for me, that rule just lost me a potential buyer 🙁 ). I haven’t hung laundry outside since I lived in Australia! Something more to look forward to once I move and hopefully say goodbye to living in a flat.
    Louise K – maybe wait a few days to see what is happening with the scales? It would not necessarly be unusual to lose fat without losing weight. In fact I am envious that your scales give you different fat readings at the same weight. Mine are supposed to be using bioelectrial impedence to measure fat, but the fat number never budges in any direction unless my weight does too. So I think I fell for false advertising about what they do. They seem to just use a calculation for fat, muscle mass and water percentages that is just based on my weight and/or BMI. There have been times that I have lost significant inches, but because I didn’t lose any weight, my percentages just stayed the same. I regret having shelled out a lot of money for them.
    Wendy – glad to see that you are back and recovering well from your surgery.
    Kafin – you are doing so well! I am reading the Obesity Code right now as well, but not reading it in order, just bouncing around from topic of interest to topic of interest. Haven’t found the lowering setpoint one yet. I’ll have to search for it.

on

Where are you moving to articfox? Are you moving into a house or unit?
    I’m sure the impedance works somehow as my husband is the same weight and have a much lower fat percentage 😅
    I think as long as you weight at the same time and same condition then it’s a good baseline. I’ll check tomorrow and in a couple of days 😊

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good morning, all! 🙂

Louise, you shouldn’t be retaining fluid from a pinch of salt on your food. It’s the carbs that retain fluid, and if you are
    drinking 2-3 liters of water each day, then the salt shouldn’t cause this effect. For those who still have “monthlies”, that
    would be the exception, though! Sometimes excessive summer temps have been known to do this too. 🙂

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh crikey I can’t handle the high tech scales either. I think just having fewer squidgy bits is a good sign 🙂 ..and feeling well of course ! Keep doing as you are doing LouiseRoo and you will get the visible results.

I hope the flat sale happens soon articfox as it is a stressful time for you.

Have a great weekend everyone, whatever you are doing !

Please log in or register to post a reply.