One Week at a time starting the 25th of June

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi guys Wendy has asked me to set up this weeks thread, as you all know she is going in for her hernia op tomorrow. I am sure you will all join me in wishing her well and a speedy recovery. She has assured me she will still be keeping an eye on all of us and posting herself. We love you Wendy and here’s to you and your recovery and getting that spring back in your slim step.❤️❤️❤️ Good luck to us all this week, wether tomorrow is your weigh in day or measuring day. Don’t worry if they haven’t moved we all know this woe works and we are making ourselves a lot healthier by doing it. Here’s to the week ahead and all that we want to share and find out. Hugs Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Sunderland
    on

Hello Birdy76, all the very best from me, too, to Wendy. Hope she lets us know how it went when able.
    Am now on the new ‘one week’ and wish everyone all the best.
    I have just been sitting here gobbling almonds watching Beecham House on tv so not a wonderful start but tomorrow is another day 😋
    Sunderland

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hello my dear Sunderland and welcome, it is a new week from tomorrow so don’t worry hun. I have had 3 squares of 90% Godiva tonight!! I never do that but I still think I am in a bit of carbage lag after the ball and the booze! I haven’t been able to to fast for long just TRE. But I know tomorrow will be different😉. Hope you have a great week and see the results you want. Love this forum and this woe❤️. Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by Elky
    on

Good morning all, just popping in to catch up with everyone.

Birdy, thanks for starting off this week’s thread with such a positive vibe 😊

Wendy, sending you lots of positive thoughts – hugs!

Kafin, your result on hitting 0.7 after a “binge” is really interesting. (I’m a bit scared that breathalysers are going to be the new scales, and we’ll all start obsessing about the numbers lol) Like you I look for logic in the numbers, and it strikes me that your binge was pretty high fat. I have read that sometimes people “kick start” ketosis by having some pure coconut oil or similar on its own. (I think that would be pretty nasty, but maybe some people like it.) I don’t understand how it works—JGwen might be able to advise—but it seems like for some people it can kind of remind the body to burn fat. So your 0.7 result made me wonder if you’re getting enough fat in your diet? I remember you saying you were going to play with dropping protein (and therefore I assume upping fat), did you do that? If so maybe it will take a little while for you to see the results?

From what I’ve read, there’s not really any consensus among the low carb medical experts about the protein/fat ratio. Some seem to like higher protein and say to just add enough fat to stop being hungry, others seem to worry about higher protein and lean towards more fat. I suspect it might depend on what their focus is (you know, weight loss, blood work, high performance, longevity, whatever). It also probably depends on what the protein *is* – I just treat all protein the same, but obviously from a scientific point of view that’s not right, and the medical experts probably have regard to much more detail. But I wouldn’t have thought that playing around with the protein/fat ratio for a short period would do any great harm. So maybe you could try that?

Oh, and I don’t mean to suggest that you weren’t in ketosis before—you clearly were—I just mean that something that kick starts it for people might also improve it for those who are already there?

And yes, for me when I do OMAD – which is most weekdays unless I’m managing to make a longer fast stick – I eat all my calories in that single meal. Which I must admit I like because it’s a larger and more varied meal, and I have “spare” calories left for something like cream in my coffee while I’m watching TV after dinner. But that could just be a sign that I’m a greedy guts lol

Try not to beat yourself up about not being able to exercise just now because so many things exhaust you. One of the marvellous things about the body is that although we lose condition quickly when we stop exercising, we do get it back once we start again, just more slowly. That applies even to Olympic athletes. So it will come for you with time, when you’re ready for it. Just now it can’t be your focus, but you’re caring for yourself in other important ways.

JGwen, your post was—as always—really helpful. I was interested that you think years of messing about with yo yo diets and such have slowed down your metabolism. I think I’m in the same boat, and that like you I’m extraordinarily intolerant to carbs because of how I’ve eaten in the past, but I’ve had friends (who are into this WOE) tell me that it’s not possible because I’m not diabetic. I didn’t think that was necessarily the rule (that if you’re really carb intolerant you will automatically be diabetic) so I was kind of encouraged to read that you think a bit like I do about that 😊 I don’t know why I should be encouraged when it’s essentially bad news, maybe I just like to feel vindicated lol

For me, the scales have stalled—and yes I know I have to ignore them, I just can’t quite bring myself to do so yet—but the breathalyser is going up just now so I’m happy about that. See what I mean about being measurement obsessed lol I’m aiming for a long fast this week and am currently sitting comfortably at 36 hours so am confident I’ll get to dinner tonight, which will be 48 hours. I’ll see how I feel then, hoping I can kick on until tomorrow but it’ll depend on whether or not I feel queasy and yuck.

Have a grand day everyone,

Elky

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Just a quick hello to everyone at the start of this new thread.
    And thank you Birdy for your lovely words – I do indeed remember my first post 😊 And I give those words right back to you – your warm, funny, insightful and caring posts are always a highlight – plus your range of emojis!!
    And Elky – your posts are always so good to read – and get me thinking about this WOE and all our challenges. Thank You! And all the best with your current fast! I think I agree that it helps to be busy – takes your mind off the fridge 😁
    JGwen’s advice on metabolism, fasting etc is so informative. I think the idea of “feasting” (in a not crazy way!) is probably a good thing for our bodies. Future research might shed more light.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

I think Allie mentioned it in another thread, but you do have some very thoughtful, insightful observations, Elky, so thank you. Interestingly, I’ve stayed at 0.6 for the day so maybe I’m not as carb-resistant as I thought or maybe I just needed a shake-up?? For some reason, I don’t beat myself up about the breathalyzer like I do the scales (probably because it gives me better results!), I just find it fascinating to see what different times of the day, foods do etc. Also I don’t get out much 😁. I think I’m getting enough fat, it’s always around 60g and sometimes more – today I tried your suggestion of one meal a day (plus tea with whole milk and coffee with cream) which was easy but I can’t eat the full 800 because for the first time, I’m actually full, but it did feel good to have a lot to play with (and no, you’re not a greedy guts!!!). Will see how that goes for a while! The exercise will come in time, not going to worry right now. I hope we both get a shift tomorrow 😍
    Thanks Scottishgal – nice to hear from you, I was wondering how you’re doing x

• posted by Elky
    on

Oh thank you Kafin <blushing> – everyone has been so kind and supportive to me here that I’m really glad if I can contribute a little bit.

I agree with you about checking the breathalyser regularly: I don’t take mine to work with me in case anyone thinks I’m an alcoholic, especially if I’m over 0.5 and it beeps at me lol, but when I’m home I try it almost every time I walk past it!! And you must be so thrilled to find that you can’t eat the full 800 calorie meal, that would be a huge change for me! I will be really interested to hear how OMAD works for you, not just in terms of discards but it how you feel doing it.

Merry, yes, anything that keeps my mind off the fridge is a good thing! If I get to the point of opening it to look inside, it’s all over lol

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Well done Kafin on being officially sworn in. Re your other post on 16 year old girl (who has obviously had some tough times to be in the family Court system) v male cat….You might find that both appear to be somewhat aloof and wanting independence, but also that both respond to kindness and softly spoken words. Which I am sure are one of your many strengths! Wendleg, all best for the op. I have been hearing about heatwave forecasts for France, they’ve even postponed the Bac exams? Sounds like it may be worse in the North (47 C in Paris!!) but hope there is a shady spot in the garden where you can install yourself for daytime recuperation. All best to all for the forthcoming week. I hope that a bit more discipline will see me nudge into 10 stone bracket and reducing muffin top…. Birdy, also wanted to say I hope your Dad is getting on ok – there are so many different treatment options that seem to be available now.

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Didn’t realise there was a new thread – haha newbies 😅
    JGwen, I love your perspective on weight not moving, very insightful. I’ve saved your message from the other thread to read it again and again 🙂
    AFM I have metallic taste in my mouth! Super excited! Let’s get those fat reserve burning lol

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

And good luck with the ope and recovery Gwen. All the best! We will be thinking of you

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Morning all!

Forgive me for not always responding to folk individually on stuff – I’m terrible with names and worse with remembering what’s been posted! Quick post for me before I have to get the kids organised and off to school.
    Week 7 WI in this morning – scores on the doors say 3.8lb loss, which is probably ‘artificially’ low as I’ve been fasting since Sunday night, but hopefully a couple of pounds of that loss will stick! That takes me to 30lb lost, on the nose, which is a nice round number. I’ll break this fast around lunch time today so it’ll be around the 39 hour mark. Have quite enjoyed it; no hunger, the odd black coffee and some pink salt in my water through yesterday. Also slept much better last night, which was a really nice change; that alone is enough to encourage me to do it again! I may try to add in a second fast from next week; I work Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays so I think Monday & Wednesday will work well – psychologically, I can’t fast on a Friday – the weekend starts Friday night so I ‘expect’ a tasty meal (who knows, maybe even a BBQ this week if it ever stops raining!).

Workshop time for me today once the kids are in school – stuff needs putting together to give a little more space for things living at the allotment; it’s a never ending task! Good job I enjoy woodwork!

Have a good one Fast Friends, may your blood glucose be low and your day peaceful 😊

• posted by Sunderland
    on

Morning BeeGirl and everyone else.
    I, too, am a disaster with names but I do wish you all a good week.
    I am fascinated about your woodwork BeeGirl. What do you make?
    Feeling pretty tired at the moment as it poured with rain all night here and it kept me awake. Did it with you in the UK?
    Exciting morning…not….waiting between 9 and 1300 for the Pest Control chap to decide whether we had rats in the garden. If we did I hope they ate the bag of poison he put down a few weeks ago!
    Enjoy your day, whatever you are doing….
    Sunderland

• posted by Sunderland
    on

Hello Birdy76 and thank you for your lovely message.
    I have this picture of you enjoying (scoffing?) your chocolate last night while I was doing the same with my almonds!
    I presume you live in ‘the smoke’ as you mentioned Balham….Gateway to the South…..or are you too young to know what I am talking about?
    Anyway, all messages of encouragement are most welcome and my thoughts are with Wendy, poor love.
    Sunderland
    PS Where has that list of acronyms got to, please, as I am confused ……again!

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Hi Sunderland – think it rained in the night here in Yorkshire – it’s certainly raining now! Although not cold, thankfully. Re woodwork; so far I’ve built a shoe rack, a small wooden box with abalone inlay for playing cards (a Xmas prezzie for my husband a couple of years ago and my first attempt at dovetail joints – I’m amazed it’s still together!) and I’m half way through an olive wood drinks table. This morning is mainly knocking together flatpack boxes and frames for my bees (but I’ve promised not to talk about them in detail as I’m a bit of a bee bore when I get going, so I don’t mention them much!).
    Blimey, it’s really pouring down here now!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Sunderland, It was me who mentioned Balham – Birdy is I think in SE England but not so much smoke as in London. Balham has moved on from Gateway to the South/Tony Hancock days! I assumed you were in the UK but maybe not? The acronym post from Wendleg is I think in take a look at this, but otherwise you should be able to find by clicking on her profile and replies created!

• posted by Sunderland
    on

Sixturkeys, oops….sorry for the mistake and by the way it was Peter Sellers and the whole record was a classic.
    Yes, very much in the UK (East Anglia) and despite everything else going on at the moment very proud to be here.
    Shall have a look at ‘Take a look at this’ and thank you for the tip.
    Many years ago in my huff I lived in Balham by the way
    Sunderland

• posted by New Day Rising
    on

Hello, I posted on last week’s thread.
    Anyway, it’s day 2. I just wanted to ask how people feel about drinking tea? I don’t have sugar and I have a splash of milk.
    Is this ok? or is this some mortal sin that should be avoided on this diet.
    I’m not sure I can cope without a brew when I am at work. We appear to be a team of serial tea drinkers. I have about 4 cups a day when I’m working.

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Hi New Day Rising
    I was a serious tea addict when I started this 7 weeks ago – have been all my life. I’d have 6+ very large mugs a day, with milk. I just counted the milk I used and was fine. Oddly, when I had a mug on Sunday night, we couldn’t find my mug because it was so long since I’d had any tea – days at least, maybe a week or more! Not sure why, but I just don’t drink it anymore – I have black coffee and water now. And sometimes Vecon. Think my husband finds this quite unnerving – such was my love of tea, when he wrote his wedding vows he included one to make me tea whenever I wanted a cup 😍

on

@beegirl – That’s true love right there! Love it.
    I don’t really have much tea when I’m not working, it’s just at work. It’s almost a social thing. I have accounted for the calories in the tea and milk.
    I also bought some fizzy flavoured water, but having read some of the threads, I realise that is a no-no. I’m gonna drink the last bottle I have and I won’t buy any more. I’ll just have fizzy water with lemon.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Good morning and welcome Needayrising making your own ginger cordial is lovely in sparking water too! It also keeps you regular😂. Don’t worry we all made rookie mistakes and it is very normal. It is something to really get your teeth into on this woe and I am sure with your lovely enthusiasm you will be fine. Don’t worry no question is a silly and we are friendly, caring and not judgemental in anyway. So welcome and all the best on your journey. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Sunderland
    on

I remember a mention of a menu called Chicken with Parmsan. Would anyone have it please? Am sitting here stuck waiting so am planning my supper for tonight.
    Sunderland

• posted by Sunderland
    on

BeeGirl, I am very impressed with what you have achieved with your woodwork – well done 👍
    And great to hear you love your bees and I presume the lovely honey they make. I try my best to buy local honey when I can.
    Would you know about the Chicken with Parmesan recipe by any chance? I think I shall just improvise at this appoint.
    Sunderland

on

Ginger cordial sounds lovely. Do you have a link to the recipe?

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Yep, thatss me with the chicken and parmesan – here we go, from The Fast 800 Receipe Book:

Serves 2:
    1 medium egg
    50g finely grated parmesan
    25g quick cook polenta (fine cornmeal)
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp paprika (not smoked)
    2 boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets (around 400g) cut into 4-5 thin strips
    lemon wedges to serve

1) preheat the oven to 200 degress / Gas 6. Line a baking tray with non stick baking paper (mine really stuck, so make sure it’s non stick!)
    2) Whisk the egg in a bowl until smooth.
    3) In a separate bowl, combine the parmesan, polenta, thyme & paprika with some fine salt and black pepper. Scatter half the mix over a large plate.
    4) Dip the chicken strips, one at a time, in the egg and then coat with the parmesan crumb. Top up the crumbs on the plate when needed.
    5) place them on the baking tray and bake for 12-14 mins or until crisp, golden brown and cooked through.
    6) divide between two plates and serve with a squeeze of lemon
    Enjoy!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi NDR all you have to do is grate fresh ginger put it in some cold water, bring it to the boil and then take it straight down to a slow simmer for about 10 mins. Let it cool, strain it out it in a little jug and put it in the fridge I think it lasts about 5 days. Use as and when. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Sunderland
    on

BeeGirl, thank you so much. That was lucky for me.
    Instead of the polenta could I use something else as my local Coop may not have i
    Sunderland
    PS I suggest you put it on the Recipes List.

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Sunderland – we struggled to find the polenta too. In the end we found Natco fine cornmeal in a Tesco, but I did consider using some of my almond flour if we could get it; not sure how it would have turned out though!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone from sunny France – at last summer has arrived, but with a bang. When it hits 40 degrees there is no chance of finding a cool shady place, the whole atmosphere is steaming and it is even hard to breath. If you have ever driven through a French town in summer and it looks like it is all shut up and deserted that is because we keep everything shut to keep out the heat. Once it gets in it is hard to get it out and cool the house down. So no throwing open the windows to let in the lovely sunlight – no, we live in darkness. It will even be too hot for me to go in the pool as it is in full sun, no shade which I why I was swimming at 8 this morning and maybe again tonight around 9pm. Anyway Wendy, I hope the hospital has clim and you make a quick recovery. At least we know it is only going to last a couple of days at 43 or so, and then we will be back down to a cool 35 degrees. 32 today so not too bad. If you are in the UK and not used to this kind of heat make sure you stay really well hydrated and if you have any elderly neighbours make sure they are okay.

Back to the diet. I seem to be doing really well, no slip ups this weekend and logging everything and keeping to around 850 cals, plus I have been swimming 40 mins every day, so why did my weight shoot up this morning. No, it is not muscle – that old chestnut. I just have to be patient as I know it will go down just as quickly. Total loss for the last 4 weeks is 4lbs which isn’t bad to say I am a continuing dieter so this is not my first flush of rapid loss. Blood glucose is well down and I am still reducing the insulin by a unit every day. With no holiday, parties, day out etc on the horizon I am hoping I can continue to make an impact. Keep cool everyone.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

We are only getting up to 27 this week in Blighty! I feel for all of you that are in France at the moment. SG I wish I had a pool to jump into right now! I have just mowed my extremely long garden! 175ft! To say I am now hot is an understatement. I have just drank a whole litre of water and I will be re filling once I have posted. We are off to the south of France mid August so I am hoping your warm weather lasts, but maybe not in the 40’s😂

I am about to make Keto cheese scones using coconut flour! I really hope they turn out ok as it will help keep my sons snacks low carb. He is so hungry when he gets in from school! He has just walked the dogs for me and he has homework and chores to do, so I am hoping he will be happy smelling all that cheesy goodness😂❤️❤️ Hope everyone is having a great day. Wendy we are thinking of you my lovely 💐💐😘😘😘

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi guys
    Thanks for starting the new week, Birdy. Well done on the lawn mowing. It’s rained all day here in Worcestershire and only 17 C. So not been able to sort my small garden out. Binge watched Killing Eve instead! A lovely chill day. 👍👍
    Thinking of you all in France right now with your heatwave.
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you Kazzee it was a mission😂. Glad you had a fab time in Deal. I am there next week visiting my parents and I can’t wait. I am hoping the weather will be good so we can take the dogs for a nice walk along the sea front. Hope your first day back tomorrow is good and I must get my OH to watch the first episode of Killing Eve so we can then binge watch it before he goes away. I have been dying to watch it as I loved the first season. Well done in breaking your bread binge habit. We are getting there my lovely. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Kafin13
    on

New Day – I understand about the tea thing, I dropped mine to one a day and absolutely savor it. Initially I was using what they call 2% milk here but after reading posts and articles, switched to whole milk and carefully measure an 8th of a cup! After years of drinking skim milk, I can’t believe how good whole milk tastes. Cream is a bit much for my tea but I buy cans of cold pressed coffee and add cream to it for my afternoon treat!
    Kazz – I loved the second series of Killing Eve and we’ve just finished a special six episode of Luther!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Kafin, many congrats on your graduation! That’s an outstanding achievement! 👏👏👏👏 Yes Luther is another of my favourites too! Birdy, you’ll be in luck then this weekend weather wise I think. What a beautiful place Deal is and so lucky you have somewhere like that to go visit! I was having a coffee on the pier yesterday and just sat on a bench and watched the sea ebbing out, enjoying the sun as I wiled away an hour before getting my train. Wonderful!
    Wendy’s op went well and she’s just waiting to be discharged. 👍👍😁

• posted by Elky
    on

Good morning all, just popping in to say hello.

Kazz, thank you for the update on Wendy, I’m really pleased everything went well.

SG and all others sweltering through the heat: being Australian I really do feel your pain! Obviously we’re in the depths of winter just now, but when we get those runs of plus 40 degree days in summer… yes it’s not fun! (Though I admit we mostly have air-conditioning, which I think is maybe not so common in Europe? Which is fine until the power grid gets stressed and everything goes down 🙁 ) Hope you can all find ways to stay cool … and hydrated!

SG, in terms of your mystery weight gain this morning – I know you say it’s not muscle, which is fair enough, but could it be additional water retention because you’ve been using your muscles more with all the swimming? That is, you’ve created a bit of stress for your muscles by using them more, so they’re retaining water as they heal and grow? Normal and inevitable process, the same as BeeGirl had after she worked really hard in the garden recently. And followed by the satisfying whoosh a day or say later as the muscle recovers. (At least I think it was BeeGirl with all the gardening, so sorry if I’ve remembered the wrong person.) Just an idea in case it helps, though you probably thought of that yourself.

And BeeGirl that’s a great discard, you must be really pleased!!

Merry, while I think of it, do you remember I was worried that our psyllium husks may not be as finely ground as some recipes call for? I made some biscuit things on the weekend that called for, among other things, psyllium husk powder; I just used my supermarket variety psyllium husks and the biscuits worked out perfectly. So clearly I was worried unnecessarily that the powdered version is some very exotic ingredient that we don’t see in Oz. I think it must just be another name for what our supermarkets normally stock. Don’t know if you’ve yet tried baking with yours, but just in case you haven’t I thought I’d mention my findings.

(The biscuits were the almond and seed crackers – or parmesan almond seed crackers – from the recipe thread here and my stars they were good!! They were easy, worked perfectly, and tasted sensational. Perfect for serving to people not on this WOE because they don’t feel like a compromise or fake biscuit, they are just a really tasty little cracker to have with a cheese plate or similar. Or in fact on their own… I confess I ate way more than I should have, I don’t know how anyone stops at just one. I will have to resist baking them this weekend again too. That’s a highly recommended recipe from me!)

Not much to report from me, I’m fasting at the moment but I’ll pop over to the fasting thread for that one so as not to clutter up this one.

Hope everyone has a lovely day, Elky

• posted by Birdy76
    on

So Wendy is back home and I am sure you all wish her a speedy recovery. She told me that they tried feeding her carbage before they discharged her! Poor lady I bet it was like torcher!

I have stalled! I went down to 14-9 but back up to 14-11, I only want to discard another stone and 3/4’s. I am going to go back to basis and see if I can’t shift it! Going on nights tomorrow night so that will mess me up further! I am determined though and I will discard this weight. Good night all and I hope you all have a great nights sleep. 💞🦜

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

A quick hello to everyone. Sun is shining here this morning which takes the chill off.

Elky – perfect timing with the info about the Crackers. I am going away this weekend and am taking a cheese platter – and I really want some tasty LC crackers to go with it, so I will bake some of these tonight. For the 35g of seeds I am guessing you used 35g psyllium? And did you use pre-grated parmesan? And lastly – did you cut them to size before baking or afterwards? Thanks so much!! P.S. – great going on your fasting! You have my admiration!

And while I’m at it – the cheese scones sound great Birdy76 – could you post a link to the recipe you used? I googled them and got many variations, with some reviews saying that the coconut flout made them very dry. Yours sound lovely!

Thanks!! 🌺🌺

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi Merry

Glad I could help out with the crackers! re: the seeds, I used a mix of flax, chia and psyillium. There’s a note on the recipe that says chia seeds are probably essential to make it firm and I agree with this. I think it would be really really fragile without chia seeds so if you can add them, I strongly recommend doing so. In fact I was so paranoid I sprinkled extra chia over the top before I popped it in the oven. Don’t know if this helped firm it up but it sure couldn’t have hurt! I used a mix of parmesan and pecorino cheese because I had both in the fridge. I grated both, but you absolutely don’t need to. Pre-grated parmesan would be fine IMO. I cut them before baking, but because they had so much cheese in them they melted together again so I had to cut them again after baking lol I cut them immediately I turned the oven off, slipped them apart a tiny bit with the knife blade just to be sure they didn’t stick together again and popped them back in the oven with the door ajar to cool off. They also make quite big biscuits, so you might even want to think about cutting into more than 12 pieces. That would give more for the cook to sample as they come out the oven lol

Birdy I agree with Merry, when I search for the scones I get heaps of recipes, some of which sound a bit ordinary. Can you please post a link to yours because they sound really good? Thank you! 🙂

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Many thanks Elky for all the tips! I am sure they will be delicious – probably too much so!

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi everyone, I’m back after a few months’ absence.
    2 months without scales then a month on holidays in the Mediterranean, two separate cruises- both with the Beverage Card.
    Anyway, I largely stayed low carb, at least where food was concerned (wine was a different story). And I walked more than 10km every day- but when I got home and got batteries for my scales I was horrified to see a 5kg increase.
    That was a week ago and 2.8kg of it is gone so I daresay it was partly fluid from the flight. So now 2.2kg to discard and I am back here on the weekly thread 🙂
    I am giving up smoking at the same time so I feel as if I’m fighting on every front at the moment.

Best wishes to you all for a good week ahead.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’ve found myself in a bit of a funk the last couple of days. Finally after no viewings for weeks and weeks, I’ve had 3 viewings of my flat in 2 days. While it is a positive, I’ve also been thrown out of my routine and I don’t want to cook anything as I will have to tidy up to get things back to incredibly spotless right after. I know there are people out there who can seemingly cook without making a mess and are naturally so tidy that their kitchens always look like no one uses them, but I am definitely not that person! I tried my best yesterday by just taking a bunch of raw veggies in their whole form with me to work and then chopping them up for a salad at lunch. I did the same today but when it came time for lunch, I didn’t want to eat them for some reason (think the week before my TOTM is having an impact through carb cravings) and went completely off piste this afternoon with a supermarket run. Crazy! Anyway, before this afternoon I have been trying to stay really hydrated and eating lower salt to try to flush all the excess water I’m retaining out, and it seemed to be working somewhat. I was down 0.5kg this morning from where I was on Saturday, so that was a bit of improvement, especially as I haven’t yet experienced the once monthly day of having to rush to the toilet every hour. I did feel like I was losing more fluid today than I took in, so hopefully that is the beginning of the loss. I think possibly my body isn’t really ready to lose the fluid yet and that is why I was craving salty, crispy type things this afternoon. I’m really quite fed up with retaining this much water every month. It can even affect my vertigo and cause me to get really dizzy too. Anyway, ear specialist appointment on Thurs, so I will bring this up with him and maybe there is something that can be done.
    Anyway, on another note, the supermarket run may not have been all bad as when I was standing in line at the checkout, the guy behind me said “what’s that patch on your arm?” When I told him it was a continuous glucose monitor, he asked me how I liked it as his brother is diabetic and has fairly poor control over his blood glucose, so he was wondering if it might be something that would help him. Didn’t have too much time to get into the details, but I was able to tell him that it has been useful in showing me what changes I need to make with meal timing and composition to avoid any spikes and hypos. I’ll be more prepared next time someone asks and direct them here and to Jason Fung’s site!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

https://lowcarbyum.com/gluten-free-garlic-cheese-biscuits/ Morning guys I hope this link works? I have never done it before😂. This is the recipe I used and I used 103 grams of strong mature cheddar. I didn’t use the gum as I didn’t have any. I don’t know if it will help. But I did exactly what the recipe and method said apart from the gum and they were good.

Off to the doctors now for blood tests! I hope they can find my veins as they usually struggle!!

Have great morning guys. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Anyway, now that that is off my chest, and I’ve gone and put together a nice broccoli slaw salad with sesame ginger dressing to take for lunches for the rest of the week, I’m back to say congratulations to Kafin on becoming a child advocate, welcome back to Mariet – I remember you from when I was posting before, well done Sunshine-girl on your loss and continued good results with your blood glucose and on trying to stay cool in the heatwave, welcome aboard New Day, and wishing a speedy recovery to Wendy.

• posted by Sunderland
    on

Good morning/evening all, just a flying visit but I just wanted to say I am so pleased Wendy’s op. went well and that she is now home again.
    Take care and enjoy you day….
    Sunderland

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! I am back home and catching up on the thread . I hope that is my last procedure…all tucks and lifts have been done !! 😉 I have a dressing and stitches which will dissolve and a bit of discomfort which is to be expected, but all is well.I have a lovely hubby who is used to looking after me .I have to be very careful about carrying anything …no lifting or straining so the kettle bells are out !! 😉
    I feel fine . School is over for this year now until September and I have just ordered my last teaching diary 😉
    I now have to make sure I can scale those hills in Sardinia like a mountain goat 😉

I will get back to reading all the posts now and thank you so much for your good wishes ,lovely people !!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, another day and another gain. Thanks for your insight Elky, these things happen and I dont have a reason but I do know that as long as I am sticking to the plan – still on 800 – and not having any carbs then I will wake up on morning and have had a whoosh moment. Still it is a bit disheartening. Yes I am drinking lots of water and maybe some muscle repairing going on. C’est la vie, it will go. One thing I did try yesterday. I had been reading about insulin resistant carbs and Dr Beckie (UTuber) said if you eat your carbs cold and re-cooked they have less carb and are actually good for you. So, for lunch I did one slice of multi-cereal bread toasted lightly, let it cool then re-toasted it and had it with scrambled eggs. Besides a 0.1kg weight gain (so not significant) the first thing I notice is that my blood glucose was way higher this morning. Believe me, I never eat that sort of carb normally, not even as a treat as it doesn’t appeal to my any more and I certainly wont be doing it again. Dont know why I tried it as why change what works and that is going without white starchy carbs.

We are set for 41 degrees temperature today so have already had 30 minutes swim – total of 250 mins in the last 4 days which is around an hour a day. The main heat will hit us around 5pm so I will be back in the pool around 9.30 tonight. Have a good day everyone and stay safe if you are in the heat.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

So pleased to hear your operation went well Wendy and you are well on your way scaling those hills.🏞
    Those northern hemisphere temps look way too hot! I hope you can all find a way to keep cool and hydrated.
    Thanks Birdy for the cheese scone/biscuit recipe. I will try that soon. 🧀🧀🧀
    Tonight I baked the cheese crackers Elky mentioned. I think they turned out OK. When I rolled the mixture out it formed a circle, so I baked it like that. I cut it up as soon as it was baked – and got about 35 bite size pieces. The ones on the out edge were a bit over done – so I will watch the oven temp next time. I have posted a photo of the crackers on Flickr – not sure if this link will work. https://www.flickr.com/photos/182226305@N02/ It is tempting to try more than a couple!

• posted by caronl
    on

Welcome back Wendleg, and best wishes for a speedy recovery. When they say no lifting, they really really mean it. That includes the kettle as well as the kettle bells!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome home, Wendy! You always handle post op pain with such grace…I’m a complete whiner when it comes to
    discomfort of any kind, so you are a role model for me. Relax in the garden, Cutie, and allow your O/H to do what he
    does so well…look after you! xxx

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Sunshine-girl, I’ve done some tests with resistant starch since having my glucose monitor, and found exactly as you have. They spike my blood sugar almost as much, if not as much, as eating the same carbs in their non-cooled down and re-heated state. I think Tim Spector has said that he thinks that the effects of resistant starch have been over-hyped and I guess our experiments show that to be true.

Please log in or register to post a reply.