ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning October 27th 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone.
    I had a bit of a wobbly week with unsettling news .Fortunately my supplier of dark choc was closed so I was not able to get my fix 😉 So here we are , ready to meet the challenges of another week .Yes, we will get through this so I for one am digging in even deeper this week.
    I hope to see you all on the new thread .This forum has helped me so much and continues to do so, urging me to reflect, take stock and keep learning
    Wendy xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

I don’t care if lots of people on here have gone AWOL … I never give up hope of them returning .
    I got a brief message from Amz saying she is ‘okay but still struggling ‘ so obviously not ok. I hope she comes back .
    We are here to support and share whatever you are going through. Never give up xx

SunnyB
    Merrymelba
    Niamh and Dean ( Neegan)
    EC
    Caronl
    Clarinet cathy
    Bryla
    Windyjulz
    Georgiejeorge
    Olive 1
    Puddy
    Dreamscometrue
    Gattina
    melH
    rosyapple
    LovesGroodles

timetochange
    Patricia
    Articfox
    Double Dutch
    PTR
    Britta
    Film24
    Rebeccakershaw
    JGwen (of course !!)

PlumpGoose
    Russianroulade
    DebbieDarko
    weebleswobble
    nicoles212
    Steviep
    Zuzuvela
    Frog
    GreenGal
    EachPeach
    SusieMac1957
    Limes254
    Butterlover
    PhoenixBurns
    Quetzal
    Waitaminute
    Riccoh
    Tulip1 (Clare)
    ADD6605(Dawn)
    Gyllb
    EllieAllegra

Roheryn
    AuroraB
    Sweetgirl
    BlueSkyz
    Karenwm
    SusieMac1957
    Jeremy Fisher
    ClemFlo
    LR800
    Eowyn
    Kevlondon and Mrs Kev
    Scubado
    Lulu16
    Shammy
    sunshine-girl !!!
    Beattie66
    2eviltwins
    Violinist ( Catherine)
    Sarah 1968
    Angelsand
    Lecurie
    Choccybuttons
    Sonz
    AnnieW
    Sixturkeys
    Urchin
    Delabodge( Clive)
    Calliope Swan
    O2BSkinny
    Ghudugi
    PSL68
    EclecticRajistani !!!
    Lily
    Luella
    Mumof4in France
    GardeningChef
    Gill33UKS
    Squidge !!
    No more banquets
    Weightykaty
    Petiteketo
    Humphrey1
    The other me
    AMZ !!!!!!!
    Gooner
    Justjudy
    mumofStig
    Missamd9
    Peanutbutty
    Sunnysideup
    Stephen J
    Fattystar
    1960smp
    Nhatha 3432 (Nick)
    Happyseaswimmer
    TJ
    Reuby 19
    Zoelazer
    Rainey
    Gordosh
    Mifoz
    Energisedby800
    James3891
    SamG67
    SusieQ102

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you Wendy!
    So good to rely on you to renew our enthusiasm!! Hopefully everyone will be back for the new week.

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Hi all. Sorry to hear you had a bit of a wobbly week wendeleg, hope you’re ok.

I’m in for another week, although have just nailed a Twix today.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Thank you Wendy. My thoughts are with you. Thank you for starting off our week.
    We’ve had good news in Melbourne with two days of zero cases. Cafes can open again with limit numbers from tomorrow. We are still limited to 25km travel ring, but that will open on Nov 9th. My spirits feel lifted with this good outcome and I will use that to carry me through a 22hr fast today – and I am getting my haircut today 👩👩👩
    Wishing everyone a good koko week – and a big shoutout to Melbournians.

• posted by Pd11
    on

Day 1 tomorrow. 17st 8lb, on blood pressure meds and fibdromylgia treatment. Im so addicted to sugar, sweets cakes crisps biscuits pasta pizza fast food fizzy drinks. Im so stressed, have had to step back from work for self care, to rescue this situation before I drown.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Welcome Pd11 – you are in the right place to make a start. I also have fibromyalgia and have found that reducing carbs (which includes sugary stuff) really reduces my pain levels. If I eat something sugary now I really feel the effects of it pain wise.
    I always look to Wendy’s post for inspiration https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/success-stories/#post-117307 where she lists lots of helpful information. I’d also add “Clean Out the Cupboards”. Get rid of all the carby white and sugary things in the house (donate them to a food bank) so that the temptations are removed. 🌺🌻🌼 I found that no having them there reduced snaxidents! All the best Pd.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.Im still persisting.As usual I lost focus after my success and increased a bit. never mind I will not give up.Welcome Pd11 you have a lot of dietary changes to make.I took 6months to give up fuzzy drinks and and another 6 months to give up sugar in coffee before I found this way of eating . I find utube really helpful to stay motivated on low carb and get ideas to manage cravings.Drink lots of water and post us whenever you need any kind of help.we have a lot of people with great ideas and knowledge.I hope you are in for the long haul.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Wendleg, Thank you for setting up the new thread. And sorry to hear that you had a difficult week. I hope that you can work through the unsettling news that is troubling you. x

I’m in for the week. As Christmas gets seriously closer, I feel a bit more motivated to make a difference.

Welcome to the starters – Pd11, SuzieQ and others. Enjoy your journey. You will be AMAZED what this way of eating can do. Probably the best early Christmas present you could give yourselves!

Go Melbourne! So pleased to hear the good news MerryMelba.

• posted by Pd11
    on

How do you all manage with children. I have a draw for pasta and rice and bread. Im trying to reduce their consumption as well but obviously they arent fasting so can’t get rid completely. Im wondering if I should have be doing everything separate or trying from the start to ter my intake with same meals basis. So cook them the same thing as me but they can have a bit more carb?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, thanks again Wendy. Pd11 I think you manage with kids the same way you manage with husbands or other family members. You make the same foods for everyone and give them the carbs. If you try to cater to different tastes you will wear yourself out. If you want something extra then add more veg or make your veg look more like a carb, so spirals or ribbons of courgette instead of pasta, whizzed up cauliflower for rice etc. Last night I made lasagne and instead of pasta sheets I used sliced aubergine which I cook for around 20 mins in the oven to soften. If no-one else likes this then make a pasta version and then just spoon your portion over the lasagne (or courgette slices). It will become second nature to you in a few weeks.

Weight around the same but not worrying too much as my BG’s are good at under 100 (5.0). Still exercising and still not going anywhere. We are very lucky that we are in an area with very few Covid cases but we still take great care and always wear masks and keep out trips out limited to local shops, pharmacy and wine cooperative – need to start stocking up for Christmas 🙂

Take care everyone.

• posted by shammy
    on

thank you for the list of members you haven’t forgotten including me! I have been quite scared in the pandemic as my sister got covid, I have also been having counselling which has helped in part. 7 days ago I decided to stick to 2 bsd meals [porridge and dinner] 2 litres of hot water with fresh lemon & fresh ginger and some snacks i.e. spoon of greek yogurt /blueberries/pear and so far 7lb loss which is probably water, but I feel better that I am in control. I haven’t been able to exercise yet. Bizarrely I watch cookery programmes to cheer me up.

Pd11 if i make a pilau rice, I use the same stock and use measured quinoa or bulgar wheat for me. Hoping to see all your stories in my inbox – to keep me motivated and know that I am not alone in this! Take care and good luck xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Wendy your lists really are working! They’re great and let’s hope more people pop in, see they are remembered, and come back.
    Pd11 I agree with sunshine-girl just switch you carbs to something more carb friendly. If you can incorporate this way of eating into family life it will lead to greater success for you. There really is no easy way just dump the carbs! Sorry but it’s that simple.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! Hubby accidentally spilt his cup of tea over my laptop drenching the keyboard so I only have my phone to work with . Fingers crossed it dries out but not holding out much hope 😭
    I will do my best to check in…my famous list may be lost but I will find a way to retrieve it . We are looking at an inevitable lockdown again in France. Will know more tomorrow. My friend seems to be over the worst of her covid symptoms and recovering…that’s good news. It’s hard to read previous posts on my phone but thinking of you all. So glad things are looking up in Melbourne, Merry ! 🤗

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all,
    I’m in for the week. Lost 0.5 kg over last week, so have consolidated my 3 stone loss. Yeay! 🎉🎉
    Persistence is key! For me it is going slowly but rather steady down. Started in January and had a planned plateau over summer holiday. On average I’ve lost about 0.5 kg per week.
    We’re seeing increase in Covid19 cases here which is worrying. I’m also surprised on how different we as individuals face this. Me and my family are very restrictive, and then you talk to someone who are going away with whole family to football competition over a weekend, mingling with lots of people. Just strange to me.
    Am keeping on and will do some shorter fasts this week.
    Best luck to all and especially to those of you just starting out. ❤️

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Week 2 Day 1 CW 12.1.75
    One week down and I’ve lost 3 pounds, so feeling pretty happy about it. I haven’t been that strict, but am counting the cals using an app, which always helps. Welcome to all the newbies. You can do it. This diet is a game changer, it really works. For me it is all about the planning and knowing that I have something yummy to eat. We have replaced pasta with courgetti and that is a great thing to do if you are making a pasta sauce for more than one person. You have the courgetti, they have the pasta. I also do griddled aubergine as a substitute for lasagne and use ricotta instead of making a cheese sauce. It works a treat. The biggest thing for me though is giving up the booze. It does make a huge difference. It is just empty calories. Keep going guys we can do this.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    I’m back, been really busy lately so haven’t had time to get on here.
    I’ve passed my goal of being 62kilos I’m down to 61.8kgs so I’m happy.
    Been doing lots of walking and swimming.
    Olive I’m with you on how people face the covid thing, we haven’t had any cases in the Northern territory for months, my hubby and I are still super restrictive but others aren’t. We opened the borders here a while ago and people seemed to flock here from all over the place..scary!!
    Welcome to all the new folks, you will find lots of support and advice here’s…no judgement either.
    I haven’t been very hungry lately so not consuming much…😊
    My fur baby is back to her normal self after being so sick, other than that not much else to say so I’m outta here.
    Oh yeah my hubby found an Atkins bread mix at Woolies so I’ve been making that, it’s low carb and delicious..2g of carbs per slice and doesn’t cause me any acid reflux like normal bread did 👍it’s very filling too so one slice does the trick when I eat it.
    Right that’s it …have a great week everyone.
    Stay safe, happy and healthy 😊🖐️

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Super Waitaminute – busting that 63kg barrier. 🥇🥇🥇 Glad to hear your cat has recovered. It’s sounds like you are doing the right thing being cautious when you are out. I see that bread mix is half price this week so I will try a packet if I can find it in stock. Thanks for the recommendation.

• posted by EC
    on

Waitaminute….so want to be where you are ( just under 10kg off)…but inching towards it!! (and glad your pet is well! phew!!…we do get so attached)

MerryMelba….congrats to you and all Victorians!! – along haul, but the envy of the world!!-we are cautiously hoping to come over for Christmas with our Vic families-and yes, to those cautious…we have just opened interstate borders and I’m hoping complacency doesn’t prevail

Wendy…hope your news wasn’t a long-term issue…thanks for reigning us all in every time and all good thoughts to you xxxx

I’m KOKO….slowly but definitely downwards….have been de-cluttering the wardrobe and selling online to pay for alterations to the favorite pieces

Work is strange in these times….but staying healthy a priority!!

Have a great week all

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Morning all, so good to read through and see how everyone is doing ☺, and v good luck to the newcomers- I started this the 3rd June and have lost 2 st 4 lbs which is the most success I have ever had on any diet- or I should say WoE as I certainly intend to keep it up 😍

I tentatively feel somewhat better the last few days mood wise, so I hope this will continue! Thank you all for your support 😚

I was away visiting my parents with the kids the last few days and while I did eat a few things I shouldn’t have, because, you know, home comforts and memories, I resisted a lot- there are always chocolate nibbles/ tasty biscuits at all turns in their house 🙄🤣….aww, I love them tho (the parents, not the chocolate!)….anyhow, I meant to take my bathroom scales but forgot and pleased to say that I weigh 2 lb less than before I went away, now to continue in that fashion (I weigh daily and take the average for the week on a Saturday via fitbit app)- we had plenty of fresh air and exercise, so I guess that helped! And plenty of zumba, running and walking planned for the rest of the week too 😁….also when going away I always take my healthy breakfast stuff- strained greek yog, berries and chia seeds so I start off each day well (nut have a continental breakfast on the weekends as a treat). My hubby has bought some cacao nibs and I now add 2g of those into my breakfast too- sort of chocolate fix with no sugar.

I can do this, we can do this, come on 💪💪

Love to all xxxxx

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi Tulip, glad you sound so positive.
    I’ve never tried cacao nibs – how are they? Bitter?
    Love the 85-90% chocolate but easy to get derailed, so should perhaps try the nibs.
    Have a great day!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi Olive,

Yes- bitter, but pretty good with yoghurty breakfast- worth a try.
    xx

on

Hi all, seem to be running out of things to say – unusual for me. Feeling a bit worried about the looming political situation that we dont discuss (B) as we are under threat of losing our UK bank accounts where our pensions are paid into. No more to be said – no politics. Anyway, on the bright side, even with a small glitch I lost 1.75 lbs and with 8 weeks still to go I have to lose 7.75 lbs to reach my Christmas goal so I am well on the way. Still exercising even when I really dont feel like it. I talk myself round by saying it is only half an hour out of a very long and boring day. Like Wendleg I too am worried about a further lockdown here in France although it seems inevitable the way things are going. Luckily I live in a green zone (very low Covid) and will just contine to make all the safeguards – did I say this yesterday??? Anyway, KOKO and enjoy the week.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello everyone. Sorry I can’t address each post individually but good to see some new and nearly new travellers.
    Wendy hope your laptop survives. I hate having to use my phone…. it’s ok with a magnifying glass!
    S-g I can see why you are so concerned but you are managing to stay positive and really these things are out of our control …. life goes on ….. dig in …. and keep on keeping on…….you are doing so well …. we will get out on the other side …. that side will be sunny and bright. Hold on xx

on

As we expected, France in full national lockdown again. Even though our area is in a green zone it is a national thing. Wont make much difference to us and at least we know where we stand re: Christmas. One last big shop tomorrow.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    EC you will do it, it took me ages to get down to the 61.8kg I was up and down like a yo-yo..some days I just wanted to give up and accept no matter what I ate I was going to stay at around the 63kg mark..
    Thank you Merry Melba..my furbaby is a dog not a cat tho😂😂
    The bread mix is at Cole’s as well as Woolies, just incase you don’t find it in one.
    One of my granddaughter’s turns 6 today and it’s so hard not being able to be there , had to make do with an early morning phone call and her excited little voice…I miss them all so much…still it’s not long now till we move over to Queensland (February) then I can go back for visits.. .then for good once we buy a place back in Tassie.
    It’s not hard to stay restrictive here, not a very pleasant place to live with daily crime, the youth here are out of control. They go to court and get let off with a slap on the wrist. It must be so frustrating for the police, they deserve a medal for what they do.
    Ok I’m outta here have a great day/ night everyone.
    Stay safe,happy and healthy 😊🖐️

• posted by Gooner
    on

Hi all I’ve been falling behind a little as work/home balance has been knocked out so finding my feet.
    Wondering if anyone can help with this- I’m in the pre-diabetic range and after eating carb heavy meals I’ve found I start to feel a little light headed. Is this common for pre-diabetics ?

Thanks for any advice.

• posted by Mifoz
    on

Hi all, still trying hard here. Weight still slowly moving down, but pants looser so that’s a good sign. I’ve even had to tighten my watch strap by one hole, so at least my wrists are getting there 😂
    I found some seed crackers in the health food section of Coles that are low carb, so I’m happy to have some crunch back in my life. It was the “dry crunch” I was missing, if that makes sense.
    Watching the COVID situation in Europe with sadness for you all living there. Hang in there.

on

Hi all, did a big shop today *€175 instead of our usual €100. Then a trip to the local vineyard to stock up on wines. Turns out they are not going to be closed at all, classed as essential service. I love France. All ready for the hunker down for the next 4 weeks at least. Difference this time is cold wet and dark weather whereas before it was sunny, warm and we had the pool. I think it is going to be a long winter. Never mind, we are ready for it. Keep on keeping on and stay safe.

• posted by Rainydays42
    on

Hi Everyone. I have just ordered books so am hoping to start next Thursday. Just wondering has anyone any tip before I get started. Willpower and organizational skills are seriously lacking. 😔 But really fed up of feeling like this. Any advice would be great thanks

• posted by Rainey
    on

Good to hear that so many are doing so well and that everyone’s hanging on!

Last week was a tough one for me. LOTS of anxiety with the election in the US so close. I’d like to hope it will be over soon but I anticipate a couple months of turmoil and hostility and who knows what else! Add to that that it was a particularly busy week with extended career drama and our aging cat is losing ground fast. I had no time to exercise and, god help me, there was no discipline in my eating. I ended the week in a full on binge of cheese, nuts and potato chips. BUT I kept my sanity, so there’s *that*!

I suppose no one will be surprised, reading the above, that I gained nearly a pound. I’m rather surprised that it wasn’t considerably more. It should have been but I was lucky. I hope I’ve gotten it out of my system. Is there a dunce’s cap to wear or a corner to go stand in somewhere around here? ::chuckles::

I’m back on track with 2 days of my full workout regime, a clean day of food yesterday and 1/2 of a day of fast under my belt today (it’s only 3pm here so quite a while to go to know I stuck to my fast). Maybe it takes gaining a pound to make clear that there are *consequences* for pushing those boundaries…

Re cocoa nibs, I’ve always thought of the flavor as kind of smokey. They’re by no means sweet or even very chocolatey, in my opinion. but I wouldn’t call them bitter. Not in the way that cocoa powder or baking chocolate are. I think they’re quite pleasant in a crunchy smokey sort of way. Now I have to go look up whether or not they roast the beans before they break them into nibs.

• posted by Rainey
    on

Hi Rainydays-

So funny that my post would land right under yours! My Rainey is short for Lorraine — which I *never* use because I’ve been Rainey as far back as I can remember. That’s why mine has that odd “e” in there. Is there a story to your Rainydays?

The good news about this way of eating is you form a habit and the habit supports you. Meanwhile, if you stick to the plan, metabolic changes are occurring inside your body and you’ll find that the usual cravings settle down in the most marvelous way making it far easier than you imagine. I started with 5:2 fasting and, honestly, I felt great on my fast days. Like my body *needed* that rest from processing all the food I typically ate and was enjoying the down time fasting provided.

Anyway, welcome and know we’re here to hold your virtual hand and help you through the initial stage. I find that going to bed each night telling myself that the following day will be a fast day or a day when I eat mindfully helps set the ball in motion. Good luck with it!

• posted by Rainydays42
    on

Hi Rainy. No story behind my name only that its absolutely pouring rain outside and its the first thing that came into my head. 😀(Sorry to be so boring your story is much better). We are hearing a lot about the election over here (Ireland) I wouldn’t blame you for been anxious a lot going on over there. Anyways I have learnt its best to concentrate on the things we can control. And hopefully starting next week it will be my way of eating. Thank you for your support and kind words

• posted by nhatha3432
    on

Excuse the late post but I have been having computer problems.

10th week I lost 1.7 kgs = 98.2kgs (BP 116/76)

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh nhatha I symphathise ! My new laptop arrives tomorrow which will be a massive relief. I am unfortunately very dependent on my machine…even more so now. As Sunshine girl has said we are in lockdown again in France so many bad hair days to come. That’s trivial really when you consider the exploding numbers here. We have to do this and make it work (Melbourne managed it..hi Merry !)
    Being positive I will concentrate on daily exercise…and my continued search for interesting recipes. Not so much to forage in the garden this time round but we have lots of kale and rainbow chard. My list will be retrieved. Even though my computer could not be repaired after being drowned in tea,they did manage to retrieve files and docs so that is A Very Good Thing. Consoled myself with 85% choc….🤭. It’s all gone now and no trips out planned any time soon.
    Enjoying pilates..so does George our cat who finds it intriguing !
    We are well. My friend and my.niece have both recovered from their encounter with Covid. It did unsettle me for sure and I am.just glad they are feeling better.
    Hubby is making cauliflower rice and I will make a halloumi and spinach (well chard probably ) curry to go with that.
    Sorry it’s difficult to check previous posts on.my phone. I promise to do that and update the list when my laptop is set up.
    Take care everyone ❤ xx

on

Hi all, was feeling down last night and sooooooo tempted to open one of my bottles of wine (havent had any since 15th Sept according to my food log) but managed to resist. Almost talked myself into having this weekend off just to reset my mind. Anyway, got up this morning and lost weight – just putting me back where I was after a little blip upwards. So, I am 76.5 and not willing to spoil it so I have got my motivation back and so glad I didnt give in. It helped that my daughter has sent me the Fast 500 recipe book – I already have the BSD book – and I was browsing to see if the recipes were different and started to get ideas for tonight. Still not sure what it is going to be but still on plan.
    Have a good weekend everyone.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Awww SG- well done on the restraint- I had been drinking more (wine) than previously since my mood balance has been out but this week I am using smaller glasses so vastly smaller portions and not getting sloshed- which is very good re dieting of course….as drunken kitchen foraging is bad!

• posted by Quetzal
    on

Hi all. I have been away for too long. To sum up: Unhealthy everything. I Will start over again om monday to do something good for myself- healthy rating. Sleep more. Thank you all for sharing Ups and Downs. You Are all so wonderful to eachother. Thanks.

• posted by Rainey
    on

Halloween tonight in the US. Anyone else celebrate it?

Don’t know whether or not we’ll get any Trick or Treaters. We’ve set up Halloween lights as a sort of clothesline along our driveway. I’m going to pin bags of candy to it with clothespins I’ve glued Halloween-themed ribbon to.

If we *don’t* get Trick or Treaters there’s gonna be an AWFUL lot of candy around here! And this year my husband is working primarily from home so I won’t even be able to send it in to the office.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Rainey and everyone celebrating Halloween. It was a quiet event here (never is as full on as in the Northern Hemisphere and it wasn’t celebrated here until the last 15 years or so – due to marketing!) Local children around me were dressing up and celebrating just in their family groups – and some walked around but only to local decorated houses – all pretty Covid safe.
    The chocs I had bought for neighbours kids are still here – so I will pack them up and leave them at their doors. Best to get them out of my way ASAP! 😁😁 I did eat a couple of chocs last night so no need to repeat that. Otherwise a fairly good week – apart from some wine creep – I like the idea of using a small glass Tulip1.
    Sunny weekend here. I hope all in the UK are keeping safe with the heavy rains.
    Hi Caronl – hope the situation in NL is ok – are you in lockdown? Hi RussianRoulad and Olive.
    Good to see you back Quetzal – you can do this! Great going Sunshine-girl on keeping the wine at bay.
    Hi Mifoz! I understand the desire for “crunch”. I make these seed crackers https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/positive-thoughts-thread-anyone/page/82/#post-129472 and they are very crunchy. Go nicely with a small portion of cheese/hommus and or pickles.
    Hi EC – hopefully sun is shining there too and our borders will open before Christmas.
    Sorry to confuse your dog with a cat Waitaminute! I’m a dog person too! 🐕🐕 I found the breadmix at Woolies. Thanks
    Hello Wendy – I hope your new laptop arrives soon and you can post with ease. Wishing you all the best with your latest lockdown. 💛💛💛
    Hi Gooner – high carbs get turned into sugar in your digestive system https://thebloodsugardiet.com/hidden-sugars/ They will cause a sugar rush to your body which is probably contributing to the light headiness. (Others here can talk more scientifically about this!) As part of BSD the aim is to cut out heavy carb foods – bread, pasta, sweets, rice, potatoes, etc. Also take a look at Dietdoctor for some picture charts on the carbs in foods. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/visual-guides
    🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

• posted by Mifoz
    on

Thanks for the seed cracker recipe Merry, I’ll give it a go once I finish the current lot. Husband is making beef jerky for the first time today – finally one of his whims coincides with my way of eating – last one was sourdough 😂 (preCOVID – by the time everyone else was making it, he had moved on to smoking meat 😆)

On the wine front, I have managed to extend a whole bottle out for almost three weeks by bringing back the white wine spritzer 😂 I remember my grandmother enjoying them in summers because she was diabetic. It’s essentially wine infused Soda water at the strength I’m mixing, but it does make me feel like I’m having a nice drink of a weekend evening. Beer was always my favourite sadly, and I’m a bit of a beer snob, but I did find a low carb craft beer to sample on those really hot summer afternoons that we have coming up. I’ll keep that for when I’ve got through my 12 weeks – halfway this week! – as a treat.

on

Hi all, not really feeling down but just need to have something I fancy in my life for a couple of days. So, I have (am) not sticking with the diet over this weekend. When I look back I have been strict for about 10 weeks and lost just over half a stone. I know that is not a lot if you are new to dieting but I have been BSDing for 4 years. After this weekend I will be back on it and looking forward to my non-christmas. So just for a couple of days I am relaxing. See you all next week.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all,
    I can totally sympathise SG, I’ve also had a bit of a weekend off. School holiday this last week, so we went away to summer house a couple of days. No scale there and too much nice eating. Last night we had friends over for dinner, and it was really too much food, dessert and wine. The scales told me off this morning!! Back to basics today and will be keeping it that way for the week. Still, in these days I think that some enjoyment is needed to last. It doesn’t have to be food, but seeing some friends (in a safe way) is so uplifting. It’s just so difficult to do without over-endulging for me.
    My eyes are now set on Christmas and my goal is to cut a few kgs until then.
    Have a great Sunday Evening everyone!

• posted by Rainey
    on

Are you supposed to stay on the BSD for more than 12 weeks? What are you supposed to do if you still need to lose significant amounts of weight at week 13? I’m only 4-6 weeks into this but I know I’ll never accomplish what I need to in 12 weeks.

• posted by Rainydays42
    on

Hi Rainey. Fair play to you for sticking it out. Half way there. I think if you check with your doctor and everything is going OK you can do it for longer. I read somewhere you (we) should be taking vitamin supplements. Hope that helps.well done 👏 again.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunshine-girl just have to congratulate you on the 7lbs! I so empathise with you when it comes to ‘having time out’ . I think it really does you good to have a complete change now and again, although I have to admit even in my ‘just fancy something’ periods I still don’t eat high carb foods. I tend to pig-out on cheese and wine and maybe some 90% chocolate and an extra few crisp breads and nuts ….wow that sounds so boring … especially to those new to low carb eating! It’s funny but after a certain point in this WOE refined/carby foods hold no attraction.
    S-g enjoy your few days of ‘gay abandon’!
    Rainey yes you can continue with the BSD after the initial 12 weeks but the real secret is to stay low carb. Low calorie can be misleading for example a medium apple will have maybe 95 calories …. low …. but 19 g carbs …. high! Best of luck with your journey.

on

Hi V, yes for me too there are no carby foods in my diet but I did have a couple of scoops of creme brulee ice cream. I dont have a sweet tooth but love the bitterness of the caramel. Although I must admit my blood glucose was a bit higher this morning but still under 6.0. A couple of glasses of wine and tonight a couple more but I am eating roast pork with leeks and roasted celeriac, so not really off plan.

Rainey, many of us keep to the principles of the diet to, in my case, control my diabetes, and to give a weight loss boost now and then. If you have more to lose after 12 weeks try going Med for a few days and dont count calories then you can go back to being strict. I think you will find it is most important not to go back to starchy carbs but if you do have some make sure it is just a taste. UNLESS you are one of those people who cant stop eating carbs once they start. I dont think it needs to be said, but going back to sweets, biscuits or cakes etc is a complete no no.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi S-g think we might have this WOE under our belts! If you had asked me at the beginning of this journey, ‘will you give up the white carbs for the rest of your life to keep your blood sugar under control’ I probably would have said a resounding ‘NO’!
    But, hey, we now know better!
    We just have to keep doing the best for our health and anything else is a bonus!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! I am pleased to report my new laptop is up and running. I still have a lot of catching up to do but I feel better being on here rather than my phone.
    It’s already Sunday ….. crikey. New month .New thread tomorrow !
    I am taking advantage of the 4 week lockdown to tackle the choc indulgence. I fully understand when things are tough that we feel the need for a break or a treat . My recent wobbly week saw me reaching for the choc. I bought 85 % and I might just as well have chosen Dairy Crunch from a former life because I scoffed the lot. It’s gone now and no opportunity to buy any more as shopping will be a rare occasion from now on. So that’s me sorted !!!!
    I totally agree with Verano and Sunshine Girl. Low carb is a way of life now and their appeal has disappeared . Not so the choc. Let’s see how I feel in 4 weeks time !
    So there’s a target folks … I will be back to set up the new thread tomorrow so we can move forward with renewed enthusiasm !!!

on

Hi everyone, well after my little spree over the weekend I am feeling sluggish and have terrible heartburn. That’ll teach me. Back on the straight and narrow and looking forward to feeling good again.

Please log in or register to post a reply.