Success stories

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by HandP
    on

Hi! I’ve just started doing the Fast 800, but I’m interested to know how successful people have been by just doing the 5:2 without doing the Fast 800 first. Thanks

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi HandP – I personally struggled with the 5:2 and had very limited results, which is why I opted for the Fast 800 and stuck with it to get to target weight. Think for me – at least at the time – it wasn’t regimented enough and on the 5 days I too often over indulged.

I’m sure it works for others though and hopefully some of them will be along to offer their take on it soon.

• posted by HandP
    on

Thank you for your reply. I did the original 5:2 before and found that I overate on my non fast days but I wasn’t doing low carbs. I might give it a try and see how I get on. I don’t think I can stick to only 800 cals for another 7 weeks!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

The 800 definitely gets easier as you progress and eventually hunger pangs with be a rare occurrence. Sorry you’ve struggled with the 800 and obviously it’s not for everyone, but I’d suggest giving it a couple more weeks if you can, by which time you’ll probably find you have really got in the swing of it. The first and second weeks on the Fast 800 are the most difficult, but I think it’s more to do with being low carb than the number of calories, as it’s the carbs which drive hunger, so your body cries out for them big time in the early days. If you make sure to include good fats to help with the feeling of fullness and be sure to hydrate well, it should help. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I did 5:2 first, the first time I tried it was the old conventional type, 500 calories on the two days an no restriction on carbs. In hindsight I was eating far too many carbs at that point and fell off the wagon fairly comprehensively. The second time I approached it differently and logged my days off too, aiming at an average calorie restriction. That was far more successful, and became even more so when I discovered this diet and started monitoring and reducing carbs, allowing 800 on the fast days (reducing from 1800 to 1600 on the days off to compensate) and the weight started to really move. I then did a period of two months with three fast days a week and finally a month of 5 fast days a week before starting my 8 weeks at 800. At the end of the 8 weeks I had reached my target and have been mostly maintaining since. I am however just starting a new round of the 5 fast days version due to having reached my trigger weight. I lost over 8 stone doing the above so am confident that I can get back down to my target in this latest push.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Good luck MnM, and good on you for recognising you had reached your trigger weight and deciding to do something about it. With your awesome results so far, you certainly have the tools for success 🙂

• posted by Imix
    on

I’ve dropped 37 lbs since June, I didn’t really didn’t do the strict 800 diet, I just cut out carbs. Like, completely. I am on the 5:2 now, still loosing weight, but more slowly. Most importantly my pre diabetic symptoms are gone, my blood pressure is greatly improved and I feel a million times better. I hit plateaus two or three times, didn’t change anything just kept at it and started loosing weight again. Only mild exercise, walking, a little strength training. Not much though, its all about cutting out those soluble carbs, getting your blood glucose and insulin back in line, and getting the fat out of your abdomen. Just like Dr Mosley says.

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

I totally agree with you Imix: the obsession with “calories in calories out” is simply wrong. Do you think animals in the wild calorie count? So how come none is fat? Same for the remaining hunter-gather tribes. No one diets.. its entirely about lifestyle not calorie counting. As Aseem Malhotra puts it “you can’t out run a bad diet” So the answer? Avoid the foods that spike your sugars because sugar spikes raise insulin and raised insulin drives the entire metabolic syndrome.

• posted by Fraggle
    on

Hi, I started dong fast 800 and lasted 4 days lol. I found it really hard and so now am trying fast 800 mon – thurs then relatively normal but Mediterranean style eating friday – sun. (But no calorie counting those days). I lost 5lb the first week which am happy with so will see how it goes. It’s been a massive change for me just cutting out bread and pasta and weekday wine.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Fraggle – lots of people have taken a ‘little-by-little’ approach and at some point you might find yourself able to tackle the full on 800, but if this solution is working for you all well and good. As long as you consistently watch the carbs, the w/e increase in cals shouldn’t be too much of an issue. It’s important to avoid the high carb culprits and if you can, avoid the wine at w/e’s as well it would help, as alcohol really hinders weight loss, due to the way the liver processes it.

Hope you manage to stick with it and continue to post good result …. best wishes to you for every success.

• posted by 175Target
    on

i have had much more success on the fast 800. previously when i did the 5:2 i got down to 210Lbs a drop of about 20lbs i took a long while and that was 4 years ago.

in march this year i did two months of 5:2 lost 8lbs which isnt great. started the fast 800 22nd June and have lost another 24lbs since then. currently 32lbs down and working on the next and final 28lbs

the 800 is much more manageable in terms of calories and i have found the low carb piece good as well. moslty i am leaning about portion size, the hazards of snacking and that carbs are not great for me and in the form of refined sugar are terrible for my guts.

at the moment i am really tired and i dont know if thats my body still adjusting to the lack of carbs, being under fueled 5 days a week or because i have a 23 month old who ensures my weekends and evenings are all at full tilt

Cheers 175T

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well folks I thought I would post this as today marks the first anniversary of the beginning of my BSD ‘journey’ . It was the first Monday of term in September 2018 that I decided to take control of my health and do my very best to avoid serious issues which were clearly beckoning. I had been reading the forum, trying to find my way around the threads, wondering if and where to post, initially finding it all a bit confusing . Thank you caronl for gently guiding me to where I needed to be and giving me lots of useful advice as I was starting out !

I was very nervous when I started posting but looking back at that time I remember the lovely, warm welcome I received . Thank you so much Allie who gathered me in almost immediately , also JGwen, Kazz,SunnyB, Californiagirl, Woodduckie, who patiently gave me the most valuable tips. Dreamscometrue, you were there early on too ! Esnecca’s wise, articulate words have always been an inspiration to me . I have probably forgotten the names of lots of others who so generously reached out to me and set me on the right path while I was asking all sorts of daft questions ! Please forgive me but you all count ! As a serial dieter I had tried everything going with varying , mostly limited success, yo yoing being my way of life and it was always a solitary experience with very dismal Januaries. To find the forum, to be able to share and feel supported was such a revelation to me . I have made friends for life on here with the most wonderful, warm, caring, funny women.
    I wrote in September 2018 that I was hoping to discard 20 kilos ( I always used the verb ‘lose’ until Duckie set us all on the discard route !) .I started out at 100kg/16 stone) which I think was probably not my heaviest ( denial phase) and here I am at (almost ) 70 kg /11 stone with a completely new outlook, smaller clothes, just as many wacky earrings ( loads more in fact !!) and the prospect of a healthy retirement ! Wow…I never ever thought I could find myself in that peaceful place.
    I thought I would just share what I have learnt over the year..I am in no way a role model but it might help some people who tend to doubt themselves and their prospects for success .
    I have learned…..
    1) To be grateful and so thankful to the wonderful, experienced women on here who continue to generously give of themselves to guide and support despite being in long term maintenance.
    2) To always trust JGwen who is so incredibly knowledgeable and does all the research for us.
    3) To read lots..not just Michael Mosley but also Jason Fung, Gary Taubes, Zoe Hardcombe, Eric Westman etc etc .I devour books about nutrition ! I am nerdy in nutrition !
    4) To finally understand why I got and stayed fat,the role of insulin.
    5) To realise that this really is a long term, life transforming venture not a quick fix.
    6) That I can’t have loads of fruit …that I won’t ever be able to consume kilos of fruit smoothies ever again.
    7) That sugar is poison for me.
    8) That I have to take care of my good gut bugs and not feed them carbage.
    9) To be happy knowing that I can live without bread, rice, pasta, potatoes etc and not feel deprived in the slightest.
    10) That some food really is c**p and that I can’t nourish my body with c**p !
    11) That food does not have magic ‘comforting’ powers.
    12) That 90% and plus choc tastes really good ! But I mustn’t over do it .
    13) That I can go on holiday and just do as I always do.Nothing will de rail me .
    14) That the food I choose is my friend and can nourish me and no longer harm me because I am in control. It really is about ‘mindset’.
    15) That I must drink lots and lots.
    16) That to not eat for long periods is not a scary thing and that it feels good. I can fast for 24 ,36 and occasionally 48 hours + and feel fine.
    17) To finally recognise what hunger feels like and to welcome it.
    18) That everything I do is healing my body however insignificant .
    19) That I might not discard spectacular amounts of weight, certainly not now anyway but I trust my body and the process and feel relaxed about that.
    20) Not to get too obsessed with the scales .
    21) Not to get discouraged when things slow down and stop…just to keep going and trust things will get going again. It takes time.It’s ok.
    22) To mix things up…16/8 ,18/6, OMAD , TMAD, intermittent and extended fasting, Egg Fasts ..
    23) To never eat breakfast.
    24) To be wary of the appeal of nuts !!
    25) To be wary of dairy ! (see No .12 and 24 😉 )
    26) To enjoy fermented veg !
    27) To not be too fearful of calories, but to be very very careful with the carbs.
    28) To look on the breakfast cereals , crisps, biscuits, sweets aisles and anything processed with revulsion when I go shopping !
    29) To always read the nutritional info !
    30) To believe that success is possible, that cravings do ease,( mine really have disappeared) and that health is far far more important than the urge to eat a bun !!
    I just checked and I have 1.096 posts (replies created) ( yikes !!) I I feel humbled that you trusted me enough to allow me to host the Weekly Thread , taking over from Verano and SunnyB. I will do my utmost to help as much as I can and to give back a bit because I have received so much help on here.
    When I started out I remember EclecticRajistani began posting around the same time and was doing so well. One year later I can never quite give up on the hope that she will come back . Can you hear me clucking again … ! I hope that anyone who has ploughed through this post , hesitating to join the forum will take the plunge and join us. Do it for your health .
    Sorry this was a bit long .Be grateful it only happens once a year 😉 !.

• posted by KimSue
    on

Hi Wendleg

There are many words of hard-won wisdom in your post, and thanks for sharing your experience. I might even print it out as a reminder! I am only a week or two in to this WOE, but hoping at this stage that I will find the strength and resolve to stick with it. I have suffered the unpleasant ‘keto flu’ , but find I feel much better after about the third day. Will be interested to see how I go from here. I do appreciate the great support which this forum offers. Best wishes for your continued success.
    Kim

• posted by wendleg
    on

Awww KImSue
    I am so pleased that you found some useful tips from my experience . We are all different, we all have challenges which seek to derail us but I am wishing you all the very best as you start out. Don’t doubt your strength and resolve.It takes a few weeks for new habits to set and replace the former ( unhealthy) ones so stick with it.It will become easier and you will be seeing results which will lift you !

• posted by caronl
    on

Bump.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Awwww…. Wendleg… this is such a lovely post. You are definitely a role model – you and your wacky earrings – I wish I could see them 🙂
    And thank you for sharing what you’ve learned from this experience. This is my third attempt – after 2 failed attempts already and not doing so great at this attempt I love to hear from people who have stuck to it and made it work for them. This is definitely a way of life, its not just about discarding that weight but keeping it off and staying healthy for the rest of our lives. Thank you for sharing, I imagine I will come back to this post many times when I’m flagging 🙂
    XX

• posted by Skint881
    on

I’ve just read the success story by wendleg. I’m very inspired by your words. I’ve been procrastinating for so long about starting the 5:2, but your post has made me decide, I’m starting.
    I’m going to plan a couple of menus to get me started and keep dipping into the forum pages to get inspiration and motivation. Thanks.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Aaaw Alan Mehlin. I am so pleased that my experience has given you the encouragement you need to get going . I followed the Fast 800 program . You can see on the forum there are different threads for Fast 800 or 5:2. It dépends how you choose to proceed. Fast 800 will give you the quickest results in the 8 weeks and I see 5:2 as a gentler option, for maintenance.

I host a weeky thread along with SunnyB and there are lots of people on there who are starting out or with lots of experience to help and guide you. Hopefully to continue to inspire you.

Feel free to come and join us .The latest thread is called
    One Week at a time beginning March 3rd.
    There is also a monthly March thread if you prefer
    Good luck and well done for making THAT decision !

• posted by Calliope Swan
    on

Hi there,

Just wanting to add our experience to the chorus of successes on this forum. I’ve been doing the Fast 800 with my partner; he stopped after 6 weeks and started maintenance and I’m still going. I’ve had limited success with many, many diets (3-4kg over 1-2 months, then gained back and more) over the last 10 years, hubby’s had better success but never this resounding. I’m 45, he’s 48. We’ve been in lockdown in Melbourne and started the Fast 800 when we went into Stage 3 lockdown for the second time on 13 July 2020.

I lost 10.2kg in 8 weeks, he lost 13kg in 6 weeks. We both reduced our waist measurement by 15cm.

Starting weight: Me: 86.2kg, 1.65m (BMI 31.9) Him: 102.7kg, 1.9m (BMI 28.5)
    Week 1: 3kg Him: 4.8kg
    Week 2: 1.3kg Him: 2.1kg
    Week 3: 0.8kg Him: 1kg
    Week 4: 0.9kg Him: 1.6kg
    Week 5: 1.1kg Him: 1.5kg
    Week 6: 1.6kg Him: 2kg
    Week 7: 0.9kg Him: plus 0.7kg
    Week 8: 0.6kg Him: 1.1kg
    TOTAL LOSS 10.2kg Him: 13.4kg (13kg in 6 weeks)
    8 week weight: 76kg (BMI 28.1) Him: 89.7kg (BMI 24.8)

Never ever had this kind of success with a diet before. Definitely helps being at home in lockdown (temptation reduced, total flexibility with food prep and timing), but I think doing it together was the biggest thing. Basically cook 2 meals a night – one for kids, one for us (not sure how long I can keep that up once normal life resumes). Have tried to walk at least a couple of times a week, and have lifted weights twice, but haven’t managed to adopt a regular exercise program. We fast from 7pm to 10–11am. Eggs and veg at 11am, dinner at around 6pm (mostly recipes from his books).
    We are amazed and delighted with our results – looking forward to coming out of lockdown and seeing our friends and family for the first time in months. It will be a wonderful surprise to be so much lighter! My partner is now eating same meals as me and adding a mid-afternoon meal and more fruit snacks. I still have 14kg to lose, so I’ll be back in another 8 weeks for a progress report!

• posted by Calliope Swan
    on

Follow-up: 12 week results

After 12 weeks, I have lost 13.5kg, my hubby a total of 15.2kg.
    He stopped doing the 800 plan after about 6 weeks, and has added in extra meals – maybe 1500cals a day now? Still losing.
    My BMI has gone from 31.9 to 26.9.
    10.7kg to go.

• posted by caronl
    on

Many many congrats Calliope Swan and husband. And thank you for sharing your successes so far. You are absolutely right that this way of eating delivers!

• posted by Squidge
    on

I thought I’d update my success story as it’s now three years and one week since I started the BSD.

I’d always been overweight, and I ‘fell off the wagon’ a few times at the start (once accidentally ate a whole box of biscuits!) but I got into the healthy weight range by Easter 2018 and although my weight has gone up and down since, I’ve stayed in the healthy weight range ever since.

Things which really helped lose the weight – drinking water, exercising (mostly walking) and posting on here when I had questions or was finding it difficult. It’s so helpful when someone says ‘yeah, that happened to me, but I stuck with it and lost the weight’ or says how they coped with a situation.

Things which help me maintaining the weight loss – drinking water and exercising.

Meal planning (it would have helped with losing it too, if I’d made the effort!) Knowing what we’ll eat means I only buy the food we need, making it harder to overeat. It also encourages me to eat a much more varied diet and try new recipes.

Short fasts. I now usually eat my evening meal at seven or earlier and my first meal of the dat at midday or later, and have just the two meals. I don’t stick to it rigidly if circumstances would make it difficult, but eat this way most of the time. I was sceptical at first and it takes a little getting used to, but I’m a complete convert.

The main thing is to stick with it. Don’t use one bad day as an excuse to say it doesn’t work and quit. Just start again. And when in maintenance, if you relax the diet too much and put on weight, go back to the start and stick rigidly to it until you’re back at your target weight – then try not to make the same mistake again.

• posted by caronl
    on

I hope nhatha3432 that you won’t mind me sharing you post on this thread too – I just want your success story to be easier to find for those who may be struggling. Well done you!

posted by nhatha3432
    on 16 Feb 2021 at 02:25permalink
    Saying Good Bye and Good Luck to you all!
    16/02/2021, still at 91 kgs, and I decided this diet just over a week ago as I have been on it for far too long. Of course I shall keep an weekly-eye on my weight, and I will also revert to the 5:2 diet to keep it there or thereabouts. I also intend to up my fitness circumstances permitting.
    I have enjoyed my success on this diet, and I never thought that I would get down to 91 kgs from the starting weight of 118.6 kgs; correct my Fasting Blood Sugar levels, get rid of a fatty liver, and have a normal Blood Pressure too!
    I will, if I may, list why I believe I was successful:
    1. Having the full support of my wife, who has been tremendous throughout, and friends and family, who kept me off the beer and all alcohol.
    2. Taking ‘before’ photos of myself, which I looked at from time to time to remind myself as to why. (Shame that I can’t post them here with the ‘after’ photos too.
    3. Having a severe warning from a great, young doctor about my high Fasting Blood Sugar level, and making it perfectly clear that the next step would be medication for Type-2 Diabetes; this gave me another way to focus on the purpose and benefits of the diet.
    4. The fact that I was obese and am soon returning to the UK, which still has a rampant Covid-19 problem, and learning that obese people did not fair well in the surviving rankings; wanting to live was another reason for sticking to it.
    5. Seeing the TV programme by Dr. Moseley, ‘Lose a Stone in 21 Days’, which helped enormously as was a clear and simple message.
    6. Keeping a food diary throughout, and I still do now on my two days of fasting per week, in which I recorded the quantity of food in grams and calorific value of everything that I ate.
    7. Undertaking walks, at least three a week.
    8. Sticking to the diet through thick and thin through toughening up mentally, and saying ”No!” to myself.
    9. Great comments from my wife, family and friends, on my notable progress.
    10. The love of a great woman, my wife; I could not have it done without her!

Thank you, and Good Bye!

• posted by sarehkkk
    on

after 8 weeks i have lost 7 kg and i am so happy. i will keep it on.

Please log in or register to post a reply.