One week at a time beginning November 3rd 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Europe is facing restrictions and lockdown again and I thought that we might as well make the most of the 4 weeks. I have no choc in the house and will not be buying any for some time . Some things are just out of our control and we can only do our best in these circumstances. I want something positive to come from the imposed constraints. Give ourselves a target ?
    Who’s with me ? If you are facing lockdown or happily remerging please come and join us.
    I will try and find THE list now…
    Hope to see some more returners !
    Wendy xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

SunnyB
    Merrymelba
    Niamh and Dean ( Neegan)
    EC
    Caronl
    Clarinet cathy
    Bryla
    Windyjulz
    Georgiejeorge
    Olive 1
    Puddy
    Dreamscometrue
    Gattina
    melH
    rosyapple
    LovesGroodles

timetochange
    Patricia
    Articfox
    Double Dutch
    PTR
    Britta
    Film24
    Rebeccakershaw
    JGwen (of course !!)

PlumpGoose
    Russianroulade
    DebbieDarko
    weebleswobble
    nicoles212
    Steviep
    Zuzuvela
    Frog
    GreenGal
    EachPeach
    SusieMac1957
    Limes254
    Butterlover
    PhoenixBurns
    Quetzal
    Waitaminute
    Riccoh
    Tulip1 (Clare)
    ADD6605(Dawn)
    Gyllb
    EllieAllegra

Roheryn
    AuroraB
    Sweetgirl
    BlueSkyz
    Karenwm
    SusieMac1957
    Jeremy Fisher
    ClemFlo
    LR800
    Eowyn
    Kevlondon and Mrs Kev
    Scubado
    Lulu16
    Shammy
    sunshine-girl !!!
    Beattie66
    2eviltwins
    Violinist ( Catherine)
    Sarah 1968
    Angelsand
    Lecurie
    Choccybuttons
    Sonz
    AnnieW
    Sixturkeys
    Urchin
    Delabodge( Clive)
    Calliope Swan
    O2BSkinny
    Ghudugi
    PSL68
    EclecticRajistani !!!
    Lily
    Luella
    Mumof4in France
    GardeningChef
    Gill33UKS
    Squidge !!
    No more banquets
    Weightykaty
    Petiteketo
    Humphrey1
    The other me
    AMZ !!!!!!!
    Gooner
    Justjudy
    mumofStig
    Missamd9
    Peanutbutty
    Sunnysideup
    Stephen J
    Fattystar
    1960smp
    Nhatha 3432 (Nick)
    Happyseaswimmer
    TJ
    Reuby 19
    Zoelazer
    Rainey
    Gordosh
    Mifoz
    Energisedby800
    James3891
    SamG67
    SusieQ102

• posted by wendleg
    on

I’ve managed to retrieve this latest version of the list . So sorry if you are missing . Please shout so I can add you !
    Would love to see more people coming back. There is still time to make a difference to this horrendous year . We need to feel good about ourselves !

• posted by Rainydays42
    on

Evening Wendleg can you add me thank you.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Rainydays42 ! Yes of course …. you are now on the list. I am taking the liberty of posting this ‘starter message’ as you asked for a few tips …. apologies if you already know some of the info …

I assume you have had time to read the Fast 800 book so you understand the basic principles ? It means a radical shift in thinking . It’ s important for the first 8 weeks to keep calories low ( 800) and that means planning meals to include protein , leafy green veg , healthy fats ( avocado, olive oil, nuts and seeds, Greek yoghurt are Ok ) and avoiding high carb foods ( bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and other starchy veg ) You can keep things simple by avoiding all processed foods and anything low cal or low fat which is often full of sugar or chemical sugar substitutes.
    The Fast 800 book does offer some recipe ideas ( be wary of calories which can be way off) but if you eat breakfast think in terms of eggs and some protein. Do you need to take lunch to work with you ?
    What time do you eat your evening meal ? Again, protein and green salad or leafy veg is the way to go.

When I first started out ( in September 2018) I recorded everything in a notebook from The Works (UK) and I liked having a sort of diary of my progress.I also included my measurements starting out, any recipes I gleaned and also videos and books which were recommended.
    Understanding the role of insulin and keeping blood sugars stable is vital and I found Jason Fung’s The Obesity Code explained this clearly . My reading led me to a serious aversion to processed junk and the demon sugar !
    I am a bit all or nothing so I never tried any low carb substitutes for bread etc although cauliflower rice is a big favourite ! Try to eat natural, whole foods. It’ s important to be aware that you will probably go through a form of carb withdrawal as you start out which can mean headaches, fatigue and brain fog in the early days but it wll pass . Make sure you drink lots of water, herbal tea, black coffee etc to stay hydrated.On the positive side you will feel energised and so much better and it is common to lose 10% of your body weight in the first 8 weeks.
    You can also track your progress on an app. Lots of people use My Fitness Pal or Carb Manager. Find something that works for you.
    We always recommend the Diet Doctor website which is a great resource for recipe, meal plans, videos and very useful articles.
    That’s just for starters but feel free to ask any questions you may have. Our experiences are all different but we are all converts to this low carb programme and relief from years of yo yo dieting !
    The prize is increased energy and health ! All the very best to you

• posted by EllieAllegra
    on

Hi everyone – it’s been a difficult couple of weeks and I’ve been struggling to get things sorted. Still, news of lockdown 2.0 has actually spurred me on to pick up the reins again….I want to feel better and one month’s time seems to be a good target to aim for. Whilst still sky high, my weight hasn’t changed since September really, but I am determined to make a difference…I will be starting fresh tomorrow and keeping things basic and simple…I think this will be key for me. Anyway, wanted to say hello and well done to everyone for continuing to focus on getting healthy in these challenging times xx

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.Ive had a busy few days.with too much eating.First a lunch with some ladies that I used to work with.I haven’t seen in many years.then I had coffee with several friends all offering me cake .I had a birthday.I resisted wine and cake kept mostly to plan. I started some early Christmas planning and bought a mini panatone .They were hard to find last year so I thought it would be good to get it early.I couldn’t sleep so looking for a snack at 1am I ate it.My rule to keep the pantry empty of carb snacks needs to be more strict.Now I’m craving carbs . My adult children decided to bring a take away feast over to have a family dinner.I ate KFC. Its the first time I’ve had it in ages and I actually enjoyed it. Suddenly I’m craving oily snacks .Today hubby has arrange a staycation at a hotel for 2 nights for our anniversary . MORE FOOD.I promised myself to stay strict on carbs and less on calories this week as my blood test results were not so good .It seems life gets in the way and a few friends have been saying eat what you like while you can because we are not in lockdown.I don’t want to let go of the way I feel better when Im on plan.All this wrong eating leaves me tired and bloated.Ive gained half kilo and my sugar is up.So Im not weighing or measuring this week.Im not reprimanding myself.I will take few days break ,then start again fresh and positive.
    For those of you in places of lockdown stay strong and reach out if you need support.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    I’m in for another week etc.
    Feeling a bit down the last couple of days. I haven’t bothered weighing myself mainly because I have stuck to eating properly, with the odd glass of wine. I don’t think they will have done much damage tho.
    Merry Melba, did you enjoy the bread?? I find it quite filling.
    Have a safe, happy and healthy week everyone.
    😊🖐️

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

I’m in!! Thanks for the thread and shout out Wendy.

I was AWOL last week – had time off from work and kept screen time to a minimum which mean i wasnt really in here. #A quick read through posts and its clear times are hard.
    I had a good week the one before last and a fairly lax but reasonably on plan week last week …… ish!

Pending lockdown in the UK is rough, we are just waiting to see the ‘scottish response’ to Boris’ plans……. does not fill me with joy. Its all got a bit political and difficult…….hugs to anyone who is struggling, it feels like its never ending, we have no control and I’m beginning to feel as though i am being controlled by institutions….. so I’m trying very hard to put it out my mind, focus on other things and just ride it out doing as i’m told.

I got stuck into this way of eating at the beginning of covid and was really driven through lockdown. Almost once it started to relax, so did I……so, this feels like an ideal time for a reboot and determination to make something positive come from it. So I’m back to it, taking it 2 weeks at a time but knowing that Christmas is the target. I’m determined to get below 11st…..ideally to 10st10…..which has to be doable. Clocks have changed, new routine being established and I’m getting it as close to what it was in the spring…..only all the walking is in the cold and dark!

Stay strong folks…..its been a bumpy old year, and we are still here. That in itself is awesome.

Julz

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi WaitAM – I am suffering from wine creep too! Melbourne Cup holiday today = so no afternoon gathering like last year but I did have a spritzer as Mifoz suggested.
    I haven’t made the bread yet. I am working my way through a Herman Brot low carb bread in the freezer. I only have about 2-3 slices a week so it takes a while. Then I will try the Atkins. I don’t have a bread maker, or a mixer with a dough hook – so not sure how it will turn out 😁😁
    For dinner I have a half a red capsicum filled with prawns (frozen), spinach, dollop of cream cheese, some herbs and a sprinkle of cheese – then baked.
    I hope your mood lifts a little 🌺🌻🌺

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi folks, there was a request on the previous weeks thread for advice on what to do after the 12 weeks if you have a lot of weight to discard still.

My take on it is if I had been able to discard enough weight over the initial 12 weeks I would have gone back to eating a carb heavy diet and yoyo dieting.

Having seen the benefits of weight loss and feeling better by reducing the carbs, but having more weight to loose put me in the position of needing to research the science behind the BSD to work out a way forward that would work for the rest of my life. There is a thread on the forum, Take a Look at This, it came out of a group of us going through that process at the same time and sharing what we found.

I would say that there are some essential reading / watching. Why we get fat and what to do about it – by Gary Taubes is a great place to start. I personally like the work of Dr Bikman, (who is currently offering free membership of a new online resource through insuliniq where they have regular podcasts answering questions and discussing the latest research.) But I like reading about the science behind it. Alternatively, perhaps the work of Dr Fung will appeal to you.

I would say that the key information is that insulin is like a switch, if its high your body can not access body fat as an alternative fuel source. – So if you control calories for an extended period of time without controlling insulin levels you will cause your metabolic rate to reduce. Thats the reason for the guidance of 8 to 12 weeks of BSD.

Controlling carb intake is fundamental to controlling insulin levels. The easy way to check if you have low enough insulin levels is if you are in ketosis. – The two are mutually exclusive, if your body is burning ketones, then you have low insulin levels.

However, depending on how long you have been overweight and how bad it is will make a difference to the personal level of carbs you can have and stay in ketosis. A fit, endurance athlete in a training program used to being in ketosis can have 100g of carbs and day an stay in ketosis. Someone who is overweight, has a high carb diet for a long time may find they have to stay on less than 20g of carbs spread over the day to remain in ketosis.

There are four options, three of which work, and one maybe works.

a. Measure to ensure if you are in ketosis (not using pee sticks, thats a waste of money because your body only gets rid of surplus ketones in your pee in the early weeks. ) I used a cheap breathalyser to learn what my personal limit on carbs was to stay in ketosis.

b. Use an app like fatsecret to record what you eat, and set yourself a daily target of less than 20g of carbs. At that level even if you are highly insulin resistant you will be in ketosis. Then you have two versions. Keep calories low to force fat loss or set calorie levels relative to BMR (the estimated number of calories you will burn if resting all the time) and just allow your body to work its way through healing insulin resistance. and gradually reduce fat levels in response to exercise.

c. Incorporate periods of water only fasting. – and don’t count calories in your eating window eat to the point where you feel satisfied with the amount eaten. _ Dr Fungs work suggests that this works best with fasting programs of 36 to 42 hours and eating windows which are half of the fasting window.

d. Set a target of carbs a day and cross your fingers that its low enough level to get yourself into ketosis. – There is a risk with this method that if you are insulin resistant you will still loose weight for a brief period, but your body can’t access your fat stores (because 50g of carbs is enough to raise insulin levels) and this could result in your body adapting to the lower calorie intake and reducing your metabolic rate.

They say that it takes months for new habits to be ingrained. – Those of us with a lot of weight to discard have the advantage of being able to spend the time to understand which of the above fit in best with our lifestyles, see the benefits in additional weight loss and get it an ingrained habit so that maintenance is not as daunting.

Just remember, the bacteria which thrive when we eat a high carb diet will not all die off even when we have been eating low carb for years. They have the ability to send signals to our brain urging us to feed them. and they will rapidly multiply if we go back to feeding them.

Hope that helps.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, happy Tuesday, thanks for another week Wendy.

Over the weekend I had a planned and measured relaxation of the diet. Allowed a few treats but always stay with the low carbing (unless you count wine!!!). Back on plan and feeling good especially as I realise I didnt really enjoy my weekend off. Sometimes just a little can be a treat but allowing more gave me bloating and acid reflux. Yuck. Now into day 2 of the new week and feeling better already. Had a 2 lb gain over the weekend so that is my goal for the end of this one week session.

Lockdown in France has not really made any difference to us (me and hubby) as we never really came out of it. Since March we have had 2 meals out and one take-away. Difference this time is the rule that we cannot buy non-essential items from the shops that are still open due to unfair competition on the little shops that have to close. Fortunately for us it is things like CD’s, DVD’s and clothing and I can certainly live without all the things that are banned. Cant wait to get to the supermarket on Thursday to see what they have done to the aisles.

We made our final decision to cancel our UK trip for Christmas and informed our sitters they wont be needed. I havent had a response from them but as they are Spanish I think they are in pretty much the same boat as us, but being youngsters I think they were being more optimistic and willing to jump across the border. We will be fine here in our own little bubble with the laptop on the table sharing a meal with our family in Birmingham (sorry, Solihull – posh Birmingham).

Take care everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone, hoping to have a better week this week. I’ve managed to move my horse closer now and he is settling in quite well so far, so that has eased some stress for me and I’ve been eating a bit better. Still lots of room for improvement, but definitely better than last week. We have been told to return to our offices now, which is crazy because we just have had an exponential increase in cases, so nobody is very pleased about this directive. Luckily my supervisor is supporting me staying at home given that I’m in my parents bubble and they are elderly. He said he is prepared to take the flak for me if it happens, so that is nice. I did go into the office for the first time today, partly to put in an appearance but also because work pays for us to have flu jabs every year and today was the day for that.
    I have been feeling like I’ve been going through a mild depression, which isn’t that unusual for me when I go through a big life change, and it is probably compounded by the darker days. Luckily I managed to get some vitamin D in my last grocery order which I hadn’t been able to get before as everyone is taking it and there is now a shortage. I also realized I should have started my light therapy about a month ago, so I’ll pull it out tomorrow when I’m working from home again.
    Wendy – I know what you mean about the chocolate. I hadn’t had any for months and months and had really got to the point of not missing it, but decided to have some last week, I think as a result of not eating much, and as much as I enjoyed the taste of it again, I did experience some negative side effects. I had difficulty falling asleep, for instance. So I’m back to not having it in the house again, and we’ll see how that goes.

on

Hi all, another good day in lockdown. Did some exercise this morning and will be going for a short walk in a few minutes. Already lost 1lb so well on my way to discarding the weekend gain. Not much more to add so have a good week.

• posted by Rainey
    on

Here’s to everyone who’s struggling and still trying to keep to a healthy regimen! Some times it’s easy and some times it’s hard. But if we keep getting back to our healthy plan we’ll keep making the progress we need.

MOST helpful, JGwen! I’ll look for the tread you suggested.

For myself, I’ve never had a medically diagnosed insulin problem but there’s no question that I’ve gotten insulin resistant in my 60 or so years of being overweight and then obese. I keep my carbs as low as I can — limited to the carbs in those “above ground” veggies and beans. My normal routine is to do 2 water fasts a week. In the past, I was able to consistently do 48 hr water fasts. This time it’s much harder and I do two 24 hr ones but in the past 2 weeks I’ve struggled with even that.

We’re still, if not in lockdown, certainly in highly restricted mobility with cases rising seasonally (we hope, it’s just seasonal). I limit my shopping. My husband works primarily at home these days. But, whatever we do, everyone I *know* is either deeply anxious or flat out depressed with the combination of the specter of illness and the horror of our election. That, said, I didn’t manage my fasts at all last week. I *did* keep up my exercise regimen. And I was pretty careful about what I ate. …until Monday when the election got to me and I lost it. I knowingly and deliberately carbed out on popcorn. Still, today’s my weighing in day and I managed to lose a couple pounds.

I’m going to try to be better in the coming week.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    MerryMelba, I only use the breadmaker to knead the dough and then just shape it ready to bake in the oven, it isn’t a huge loaf, well mine never is, so I’m sure yours will turn out just great😊.
    Is the Herman Brot a bread mix too??
    Feeling better today, I think missing my granddaughter’s birthday was what started the mood off. I’ve never missed any of the littlies birthdays so it was a bit hard to take.
    Still I’m looking forward to next month when we are off to Qld for close to a month, to spend time with hubby’s elderly parents.
    Didn’t eat all day until 6 ish last night then had fish done on the BBQ and cauliflower mash with asparagus and Bok Choy it was very nice. I also had 2 glasses of wine in between lots of water 🙄.
    I also did 3x 30 minutes of swimming yesterday so hopefully some more weight has discarded. My bracelet is looser so my wrists have shrunk and so has my feet, my sandals are quite loose 😊 I really find that so strange!!
    That’s me for now , stay safe, happy and healthy everyone 😊🖐️

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Waitaminute
    Herman Brot is a bread – they make a range of products but not available in NT. But the company is based in Qld and their products are available in all states except NT. ( I think they may be looking to make their products in UK in the future). I also like the wraps from No Grainer – available in Qld. If you are doing 800 then the calories may be too high, but in maintenance or Mediterranean they are good. All low carb and the bread is high protein.
    I bet you are looking forward to your Qld trip. Means you’ll miss some of the rainy season.
    Good news on your feet! Amazing how our bodies change.🌺🌺🌺🌺

on

Hi all, lost another half a pound so nearly all of the 2lb gain. That is what is so great about this plan but also what is not so great is that I know I can get away with a bit of damage and soon lose it. Although it is not as easy as that, in order to lose it I have to be strictly back on track. Also still on track for the 9.5lbs before Christmas. I keep stopping and starting new goals so the 7 lbs I lost was from August to end of September and the 9.5 was (is) my new goal from beginning of Oct to Xmas. Looking at it that way it will be well over a stone if I do it.

Couple of things today. Received an email from our Spanish housesitters. They are very understanding about us cancelling our plans and say things are terrible in Spain. Although they do sound as though they are Covid deniers and think the lockdown is an excuse for the government to take their rights away. They are young and I guess it is hard for them to understand it is for the good of all. Having said that, he is protective of his father and realises he should not visit him for some time to keep him safe.

Email from the French government department saying our cards to stay in France have been approved and they are sending them via registered post. Thought we would have to collect them and go through fingerprinting etc again but no, they are arriving soon.

Thirdly, I finally got my new phone (long story about Virgin changing sims and it didnt work in my 20 year old phone so they have sent me a new one – still a very old model). Anyway, I put the sim in and it says I have to gain access to the network by texting ALL to a number. Problem. I dont know how to send a text on the new phone. Yes, I am a numpty and need my daughter here to sort it out for me. Why dont they send instruction booklets with new phones. Sure I will work it out.

So that is my excitement for the week, hope yours is just as full and scintillating. Take care all.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone . Lockdown has set in here . Had to go out yesterday to accompany hubby for his hearing aid check. All is well ( as long as he wears the bloomin things !! 😉
    It was actually nice to get dressed up a bit, find some nice earrings to match with my colourful outfits because we all need colour right now.
    My beloved farm is keeping me well supplied with lettuce, green beans and spinach. Eggs also so we will survive.
    Finding it really hard to fast right now so my usual Sunday evening to Tuesday morning fast has not happened. Concentrating on small victories.
    I made the decision to stop eating nuts and choc for these 4 weeks . If it’s not in the house I can’t eat it ! Can’t get popcorn here Rainey . Totally emphathize with you re election stress. I felt like that on Wednesday morning as if I needed something to calm me down. I ended up searching for something on Vinted 😉 I am still doing my daily Qigong and Pilates routine. As an absolute beginner I highly recommend The Girl with the Pilates Mat

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIfUrFyAWGeB6kMaEVRqR5Q
    Lovely for stretching and I swear I am a bit more flexible.

So nothing very earth shattering going on in my little part of the world. Have to stay positive and make the most of this time. I am lucky in that I don’t live alone. If you are feeling lonely and struggling with that, please pop in for a chat.
    So sorry you were feeling low arcticfox , you too Ellie and Waitaminute. It’s great that you have your trip to look forward to. I am so grateful that my boys are safe in Australia.

One of my sisters who lives alone in the UK was staring to feel very down and isolated and finally decided to get a flight to Greece to stay with another sister there. She was able to fly out before lockdown, on a single ticket. If you have been following the Positives thread you may have heard that Sunny’s flight from Turkey was cancelled and she has re scheduled for early December .
    You’re right Julz, this has been the year from hell but we are still here, still fighting.

Love your determination SG. Whatever gets in your way you find a way to confront it and not allow it to trip you up for long .That’s great that your residence permits were processed smoothly. One less worry. So you have to stay in France now ! 😉 Hope you get your new phone working . I am enjoying finding out what my new lap top can do and ordered some earphones so I can listen to music or the news while hubby is watching his stuff.

Sending a big hug to everyone and always remember you are not alone xx

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    Thanx for the info on the bread MerryM. I’ll have to get some whilst in Qld. I’m not really counting calories, just trying to stay as low carb as I can.
    I’m the same as you SG I’m hopeless when it comes to figuring out phones and computers, well anything technical really🙄. It took me a year and a half to figure out that I had a voice that told me where to drive on my phone, and that was by accident..I’d somehow managed to turn it off and didn’t realise. I seem to have a lot of blonde moments🙃 My daughters shake their heads and roll their eyes at me quite a bit .. I eventually figure stuff out tho , so it’s all good.
    Had a few olives, and 2 ryvitas with avocado for a late lunch, then chicken, asparagus zucchini and mushrooms at around 6:30..and lots of water.
    Well it’s my bedtime, I’ve been really tired all day and a bit hay fevery..
    Have a great weekend lovely people
    Stay safe, happy and healthy 😊🖐️

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi all,
    Wendleg and JGwen thank you for those really helpful summaries….this week I have been doing quite well but last night because of depression (which is coming and going so better than a couple of weeks back) I binged on a lot of carbs and wine….not helpful…but trying hard and managing to keep up the exercise (zoom Zumba, c25k and walking- one at least of those every day)….hoping to stick to my eating plan today, and just had a lunch that I have come to love- eggs and tomatoes fried (separately) in olive oil…yum- I always used to eat fried eggs in 2 slabs of white bread with butter literally dripping out and one of the pieces fried too 😂🤣 oh, in the bacon fat as obvs bacon too lol…..so now it ie fried eggs with tomatoes- that’s got to be a healthy change.

Love to all,
    Clare xxx

on

Hi everyone, Wendy if you think you cant get popcorn here you havent been looking in the right place. The sell those big buckets all year round, this week they were at the end of the nuts and seeds aisle. I would just stay away anyway but they are supposed to be okay as long as it is not the sugared things. Chocolate. Well I only eat anything over 70% as I dont have a sweet tooth but even that lasts me forever. I buy a bar every 2 to 3 weeks and just have one square. When we were last in the UK (December 2019) I bought a bag of Thorntons dark chocolate gingers and I have only just this week finish the last one. Need someone to send me some more. I will ask my daughter although she goes mad with me because she works for Cadbury and hates walking into Thorntons 🙂 🙂

Well I have managed to lose the 2lb I ganed at the weekend with several days to spare (goal was to lose by Tuesday) so, if I am super good over the weekend I might be looking at a further loss. Really hope so as I cant be bothered with this up and down, although I do get there in the end. Going to have a mooch around our local Saturday market tomorrow to see if I can get some English sausages and bacon from the farm shop and see if the English lady is there to get a few bits we are running out of. Try to be good over the weekend everyone or at least be good to yourself.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi SG I can’t say I have looked very hard for popcorn to be honest but I don’t get out much 😉 We mostly shop in Lidl, Grand Frais and my local bio shop. They stock my favourite choc WHICH I HAVE GIVEN UP FOR LOCKDOWN !!! I am quite partial to a few cacao nibs in my yoghurt and even like cocoa beans which have a sort of nutty, roasted taste. I know I’m weird ! Yes I can imagine your daughter would frown at you going elsewhere for chocolate. There are some fancy ones in France in the coffee bean shops. You are lucky in that it has no appeal for you.
    OOH your market is lovely 😉 Hope you get a few supplies. Treat yourself ! Hope you got your phone sorted ?

Nothing very exciting here. I felt the effects of my Zoom Pilates today and did another stretching one. It’s more like The Cat with the Pilates Mat here though !!! I often have company !
    Well done on your continuing efforts and so glad you are rewarded with the drop in pounds . I too am very slow to see any difference on the scales these days but I do see it in my clothes .
    Hope you are feeling better Waitaminute. Hay fever can be miserable.
    Tulip/ Clare … rememember we are always here when you feel low and we do far less damage than those carbs ! Go gently . You are doing really well with your exercise . Just one step at a time and hopefully you will then be ready if and when a low day strikes
    Have a great weekend everyone, wherever you are xxx.

• posted by Rainydays42
    on

Hi Everyone 👋. So I have read the books, taken my measurements , made the plan, written my shopping list. Just wondering as time is not a luxury for me (like many other people) I work full time have 2 beautiful daughters and with the help of hubby look after my own mam and MIL. I was just wondering has anyone any tips on meal planning I seem to have used up the most calories on my lunch.
    Wendleg thank you so much for all your encouraging words and help.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Wendleg! Thank you- I will try to remember to talk before eating next time!! xxx

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    Thank u wendleg I dose myself up on Hayfever tablets and just ride it out, it’s quite annoying tho as I said the tablets make me tired and I can’t be bothered doing much.
    I don’t know how many times I pick up and put down cocao nibs in the supermarket..I wasn’t much of a sweet tooth, much prefering savoury foods before this woe..I know the nibs aren’t sweet but I still don’t know if I’d like them, it would be nice if I could try a couple before buying a whole big bag.
    Tulip I hope you are feeling better..I too like eggs and tomatoes fried, had some in a lettuce leaf this morning, hubby had his on toast. I didn’t feel like much for dinner so just had a bowl of cauliflower mash and a bit of gravy that was quite filling..
    Once again it’s my bedtime the hayfever tablets are kicking in so a few minutes of reading then I’ll be asleep ..night night everyone.
    Stay safe, happy and healthy 😊🖐️💤💤💤

• posted by Tulip1
    on

thank u waitaminute- I’m more under control again now x

• posted by James3891
    on

Hi all, still keeping restricted but probably haven’t hit my 800 calories too much in the week.
    Had a nice break in Felixstowe and was careful but had a few Chinese meals.
    Didn’t have any drinks though except a couple of red wines at dinner.
    Weight is actually staying lower at last. Kept dropping to near 21 stone then rebounding back up to 21-10 or so. Now staying at 21-3 or 21-4 so still need to drop below the 20 stone as fast as possible.
    My atrial fibrillation has been bad again, now almost certain it’s that causing my spells of bad breathing.
    Going to get back on my cardiologist’s list Monday but ready to pay for private if I have to.
    Have had a go at the blood testing strip machine. My mum is type 2 and had a collapse the other day with very low blood sugar so is a worry. She has very high blood pressure too which the Dr told her is linked to the diabetes. Think he wants to put her on the NHS shakes and soups low cal version of this diet.
    Mine seemed ok and within the limits.
    Blood pressure fine but the machine for that picked up my atrial fib straight away and I was feeling ill so gives me more evidence it’s that.
    Got very bored and started to gamble online, an old nemesis of mine that I’ve left alone for over a year. Not surprised gambling sites are everywhere during the lockdown, they know what they are doing.
    Lost a few thousand in about an hour (I don’t do my heart many favours do I) but stopped and excluded and gave myself a talking to. Now throwing myself into getting this 6 stone shifted and back to 800 calories for a couple of months. Have to focus on my health and tripping myself up with worry is a non-starter.
    Good to see so many still giving this a good go, will be worth it in the end.

on

Having a good if not 100% weekend.
    Wendy, as you can imagine the market was very different than when we were there. Limited number of stalls, all foods but not fancy goods like clothes, handbags, candles etc. Managed to get some sausages and bacon from the farm lady and a couple of things from the English stall. All cafes closed.
    That’s all folks.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

it’s so hard to keep to this sometimes!! Just hard :-/

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Also, which is the best michael mosley book to read about the 5:2 where you eat 800 cals on 2 days of the week?- I’m thinking of trying this to add structure/ and also which one tells you about the gentler med style eating version- I want to widen my options a little.

Thanks x

on

Hi Tulip I think dr M does a book specifically for the 5:2 but any of his books touch on the 800 calories with the actual 5:2 book giving more ideas of what to eat on the 5 days possibly with a calorie allowance that we on the BDS and the Fast 800 dont have the option of. If you want to do the 5:2 then buy the 5:2 diet book, they are not expensive so you could have that and the BSD 8 week diet book so you have a better understanding for your pre-diabetes. A couple of books would cost you around £12.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.Im back from a short stay in a hotel and I’ve discarded the 1kg that I gained.My mindset has shifted and I’m feeling much better.A couple of weeks ago I visited an old work friend at her home.her house was big perfectly decorated and spotless.like a display home but with personal touches.my recent stay in a clean and nicely decorated hotel was lovely.NowI look around my cluttered and dirty house and I realise I’ve been very lazy for a long time.So I went to utube minimalism,decluttering.cleaning hacks, marie kondi.Im inspired.Up off the couch and too busy to eat.Im going to clean and tidy every inch of my house before Christmas.Im so used to having a lot of stuff “just in case “so I’m wanting less and everything in it’s proper place.Im hoping I will discard steadily while I’m doing all the cleaning.I hope everyone is ok especially in lockdown,stay strong.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi Butterlover, I think a few of us have used lockdown to declutter and organise, when other much more interesting weekend options have been removed.
    I also understand the too busy to eat sometimes – weekend gardening saw us eat lunch on Saturday at 4pm!
    I really don’t get the Marie Kondo thing, and will never be a Mrs Hinch follower, but I do identify with A Slob Comes Clean as far as decluttering and cleaning goes.
    Good luck on the decluttering front.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! Crikey James… hope you and your Mum are ok . I was a bit alarmed by your comments on the online gambling and so glad you regained control. I think we all have addictive personalities to a greater or lesser extent and it is a long haul and hard work to overcome them but it is possible. All the very best to you for your renewed focus on your health.

Butterlover, decluttering is very cathartic. Go for it ! I always start off with good intentions as far as wardrobe clearing is concerned, sell lots of stuff but then end up filling them up again with pre loved bargains !!!

Glad you got your provisions , SG . Loved your positive post on that thread by the way !!
    Tulip in my opinion it is very much about mind set . Getting your head in the right place is not easy but it is absolutely key.

I am going to dig out a vintage motivational post …..

• posted by wendleg
    on

This is one of Esnecca’s vintage posts , talking of her experience …..

Plumpgoose, so many of us have been there and know exactly what you’re talking about. My bloods were on the higher range of normal even when I weighed more than 320+ lbs at 5’2″. It was my insulin levels that were sky-high, and diabetes was only a matter of time, meanwhile the insulin itself made it impossible for me to lose weight because its job is to store fat. I never really dieted, just get putting on weight steadily for years as I followed the usual advice about low fat foods and whole grains. Like you, I could barely walk a block, my knees ached, I never got a decent’s night’s sleep, I was uncomfortable sitting, standing, walking, peeing, you name it.
    When I finally decided to stop living this way, the first thing I did was cut all carbs, whole grain or not. No bread, pasta, pizza, potatoes, sugar. I lost about 20 pounds that way (judging solely on fit of clothes; I hadn’t weighed myself in years) then stalled. In August of 2016, I bought the Blood Sugar Diet and decided to give it a try. I knew within days that this was the solution I’d been looking for. I got on the BSD bus and kept going until I reached my goal. I weighed myself for the first time the last week in August and I weighed 297 lbs. I reached my goal of 130 lb a year later. In November 2017 I reached the secret ultra dream goal of 120 lb, my high school weight. I did the 800 calorie ultra-low carb diet the entire time. No breaks.
    As far as exercise goes, I started with the easiest stuff I could find, a 10-minute chair aerobics routine for seniors with mobility issues. (I was 44 at the time, but so obese that I might as well have been 80 and in a wheelchair.) I added a very brief walk around the block. It took me 20 minutes because I had to stop twice along the route to catch my breath. As I felt better, the walks got longer and I developed an hour-long resistance band routine to strengthen my muscles without causing injuries.
    So yeah, girl, this is it. I was a barely functional wreck and now I’m fit as a cricket. Here’s how I armed myself. Get a kitchen scale. Put it on the counter. Keep it there. Weigh ingredients and calculate their calorie and carb content using an app like MyFitnessPal or Fat Secret. Decide what your maximum level of daily carb grams should be. Mine is 20 grams, which is very low, but it is the best way to ensure my insulin levels never spike and better safe than sorry. Other people aim for 50 grams or lower as this seems to be a common sweet spot to put you in fat-burning mode. Pick the number of meals you’ll eat a day. I skip breakfast because I’ve never cared to eat when I first wake up, and it’s a lot nicer to have 800 cals to play with divided over two than three. Establish an evening cutoff time, the earlier the better. No later than 8PM would be my advice.
    Are you a home cook or do you usually buy prepared food? What kinds of foods are currently in your routine? Do you have any food allergies? Use what you’re accustomed to as a jumping off point and just cut the carbs out them.

Welcome to the journey of a lifetime, Plumpgoose. The trophy at the end of it is health and happiness that will obliterate all those years of pain and self-loathing. The terrible things you think about yourself are not true. Your body is stuck in an insulin overproduction cycle that nobody ever told you about, is all. You are going to extricate yourself from it and look in wonder at the person you always were but never knew.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here’s another post I saved ……

Dear Carbohydrates,
    You are not my friend. You are not essential. I can no longer associate with you, we must break up. We had a long run and then I broke up with you on June 19, 2015, when I found out you had given me diabetes. Alas, over the past year I have flirted with you, going out a few times, to my detriment. So this is it, goodbye, pack your bags, I’m changing the locks.
    When I am tempted by you and your wiley addictive ways I will do the following: I will remove myself from the temptation. I will remind myself of the consequences of our toxic relationship; the short list of which is: you make me fat, you sap my energy, you jack my sleep, and provide me with joint pain, have I mentioned the painful effects to my gastrointestinal region? You do all that and more and when I am tempted to see you again I will revisit my complete list to remind myself why we broke up.
    There are some who can tolerate you, but I am not one, so goodbye carbs, we are done, don’t let the door hit you in the behind on your way out.
    Signed, the woman formally known as Carbie Barbie, but you may now call me Low Carb Fasting Freida.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I found this really useful too ……

DIET MENTALITY

focuses on

Food as the enemy

My bad habits

Things I am doing temporarily

Things I don’t like about myself

The scales

The finish line

HEALTH MENTALITY

focuses on

Food as fuel

My good habits

Things that I am doing forever

Things that I want for myself

The daily choices

A life long journey

• posted by wendleg
    on

Remember your why. Health, weight loss, freedom. Fitting into old clothes. Looking fabulous in new ones. Getting off medications. Living a long life for your children and grandchildren. Nothing dulls the hunger pangs faster than remembering the amazing benefits you’re getting from this lifestyle.

on

Hi all, lots of grey roots coming through and I thought I wouldnt bother about it as my hairdresser has gone to the UK for a family emergency and I didnt bother through the first lockdown. Changed my mind and have tried to do just the roots as I have some blond streaks that I dont want to cover even though my grandson says makes me look like a tabby cat. Anyway, done it now but wont know how it has turned out until it has dried. At least I can look in the mirror and say ‘because I’m worth it’ 🙂

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Thank you SG for the books advice and Wendleg, what a great list of motivational stuff!!! I’m weighing heavier than b4 the weekend so aiming to be really good through the week and then relax just a little at the weekend re eating…..I also think I am developing a slight drinking issue….because as Wendleg you rightly said, we have addictive personalities…..so I’d like to try not drinking wine until Fri and Sat like I used to….if I write it here I hope it will help me stick to my resolve…..please help everyone xxx

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Wendy – you are an inspiration! You make me smile whenever i read your posts! Thank you for sharing all the wisdom!!

I have an addictive personality….. I think its a family thing….and i am very cautious (and sometime self-righteous) when it comes to drink, drugs, gambling etc…..took a long time to recognise my food and weight issues were due to an addiction…..quite a serious one! Carbs are drugs! Boooo to them!! Love your post in relation to ending the toxic relationship with them!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Awww thanks Julz and Tulip . Remember I am not the source of all the wisdom . I was like a sponge when I started out in 2018 , reading avidly to understand low carb principles and I am obviously convinced. Esnecca was one of the women on the forum who really was inspirational to me with her unwavering commitment and determination. She told it like it was .. . 😉

Anyway .. it’s time to set up the new thread !

Please log in or register to post a reply.