ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning June 16th 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

You probably know by now the spirit of the weekly thread…. There have been some tough times lately but thanks to the collective support of our lovely members we pick ourselves up and keep going.
    Please never feel it’s too tough. Please never give up !
    Lockdown is easing …we are over the worst . Whatever we may have learned during this time …we are looking after ourselves, putting our health first and so on we go !
    Please feel free to join us any time and we look forward to catching up with anyone who has been ‘absent’ for a time
    Wendy and Sunny xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Our contributors ………….please let me know if I have forgotten anyone !

SunnyB
    Merrymelba
    Niamh and Dean ( Neegan)
    EC
    Caronl
    Clarinet cathy
    Bryla
    Windyjulz
    Georgiejeorge
    oLive 1
    Puddy
    Dreamscometrue
    Gattina
    melH
    rosyapple
    LovesGroodles
    timetochange
    Patricia
    Articfox
    Double Dutch
    PTR
    Britta
    Film24
    Rebeccakershaw
    JGwen (of course !!)
    PlumpGoose
    Russianroulade
    DebbieDarko
    weebleswobble
    nicoles212
    Steviep
    Zuzuvela
    Frog
    GreenGal
    EachPeach
    SusieMac1957
    Limes254
    Butterlover
    PhoenixBurns
    Quetzal
    Waitaminute
    Riccoh
    Tulip1
    ADD6605(Dawn)
    Gyllb
    EllieAllegra
    Roheryn
    AuroraB
    Sweetgirl
    BlueSkyz
    Karenwm

• posted by Britta
    on

Another brans new thread – thanks Wendy and Sunny!

Week 8. There’s a fair few of us getting closer to the 8 week mark – I’m curious to hear what you are all planning on doing next?!

For me, after last weeks hormonal palaver, I’m going all in on eating for hormonal health! I have dug out MMs Gut health book and Anqelique Panagos Balance Plan and started (well) planning. So this week is all about microbiome, phytonutrients and other good stuff – or what goes in, as opposed to what does not. I did my first ferment today (red cabbage, hurrah!) and have been very busy with Fatsecret over the weekend (none of my otherwise wonderful cookery books had calories or macros until now…)

To be honest it will not be a drastic change from what I have been eating, but a few adjustments to get more good stuff. And I will stick with my 800 calories for now too, I do still need to lose 10 kg.

Weightwise I didn’t lose anything last week, so probably won’t quite make the 2 stone by the end of 8 weeks, but I will get below 80kg this week which will be a nice milestone.

Fingers crossed for a great week for all!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thank you for leading us into a new BSD week, Wendy. It’s really heartening that although several of our merry band have struggled recently, most – if not all – have dusted themselves down and found a way to continue. What is most uplifting though, is that even amidst their own struggles, the lovely people here will reach out to each other with compassion and support, giving the weekly thread a unique energy and momentum all of it’s own.
    Whatever has happened during this last week, turn your face to the new week and try to make this one count.

• posted by Jeremy Fisher
    on

It’s my first week.
    One one hand it’s been great – I’ve lost 8lbs.
    On the other it’s been awful – I’ve felt grotty and tired all week. Really not myself without carbs!!
    Have decided to up the calories to 1100 and have breakfast this week to see if that makes it more manageable.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well done on a great start Jeremy. It sounds to me, like you have been suffering from carb flu, which is common when your body is in withdrawal from carbs.
    You have done most of the hard work, so if you can ride it out for a few more days, this will subside and your energy levels will rebound as your body becomes accustomed to fuelling itself on fat instead of carbs.
    If you feel you must add more calories, try to do so chiefly with good fats, so that you don’t inadvertently increase your carb levels, returning your body to relying on carbs for fuel.

• posted by EllieAllegra
    on

Hi everyone – well, I came unstuck a bit over the weekend, but am still starting this week 6lbs lighter than when I started last Monday. I know that my first week could have gone better and that I need to tackle weekends as this is when I have struggled in the past. Still, I’m going to keep going….there’s a quote that goes along the lines of ‘taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back isn’t failure…more like doing a cha-cha’…we just have to keep trying new steps to move forwards. I’m staying hydrated and this week I’m going to try and be a little more active, pain permitting. Nothing big, just moving around more during the day. I’ve also ordered a couple of lovely occassion wear items of clothing….big online bargains around atm…and such classic/occassion pieces will always be good. I’ve ordered in smaller sizes, that should be forgiving whatever my weight… and they were such bargains I wouldn’t be too heartbroken if I only had a few wears out of them (I have family members of all sizes and have passed things on when unsuitable as I can’t stand to see good clothes wasted!). Still, I hope everyone is well and embracing the new week 🙂 I’m looking forward to salmon kebabs and salad for lunch tomorrow! 🙂

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’m back from my trip. I did fairly well eating-wise for the first 2 days, but found myself completely off track today. I actually think I am feeling quite depressed due to the stress of trying to sell my place and find a new place to live 5 hours away in the middle of a continuing pandemic. Also it has been pouring rain non-stop for the last week which is very unusual for June, so that is not helping at all. In fact, that might be the worst factor. I deliberately tried to cheer myself up with some of my usual carby ‘drugs’ such as chocolate and ice cream, even though I know better. And now I definitely know that it doesn’t work. Still feel down and now very bloated as well. After staying on track for so long, I am quite amazed at how little it took to convince myself that this was a good idea. I just hope I remember this awful feeling the next time I am tempted.
    Anyway, I am completely insane because I’ve just put in an offer on the 18 acre farm that I viewed on Saturday, in spite of the fact that the running water is not drinkable at the moment. So now in a bit of a panic about how I’m going to make this work all on my own. But anyway, I will be close to family. My younger sister is not usually much help, but I might be able to bribe her into helping me mow the grass on occassion. My parents are getting elderly, but still young at heart. My dad came to view the house with me (in a socially distanced fashion) and although there is a lot of work to be done in the house, it is mostly cosmetic and I think he is just itching to be able to supervise me in doing the work. My mom said today that she would come and help me with the market garden, although with the caveat that she would not do any hard labour but would help wash and package salad greens. She just recently turned 82! However, it may all come to nothing as I’m sure my initial offer will not be accepted, and I had to make it subject to the sale of my place completing. The potential buyers of my place were supposed to have their place on the market last week, and they didn’t manage it. Then my estate agent told me yesterday that it would definitely happen today, and it hasn’t. They only have 1 month left to sell their flat and flats around here are taking around 2-3 months on average to sell right now, so I don’t know what they are playing at!
    I am trying to get back on track in spite of all this though. Roasted brussels sprouts (the last ones out of my freezer), fresh sugar snap peas from my balcony (at least the peas are loving all this cool, rainy weather!) and grilled halloumi is on the menu tonight. Definitely no more carbs!
    I was quite fortunate as well to visit with my family. I hadn’t seen them since Christmas. I offered just to sit out on the porch to visit with them, but as it was raining, they let me sit just inside the door on a chair covered in a sheet. We had Chinese takeaway for dinner that night and I skipped the noodles and rice and just had mostly veggies and proteins, and then they invited me back for breakfast and even though they were having waffles, my mom made me an egg and avocado scramble, so that was really nice of her.

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Thanks Wendy and Sunny for setting up the thread!
    Eating too much! Carb (nothing off plan) and calorie wise. I usually fast for 12 to 14 hours and have pushed it to 16 on occasions and I counter intuitively eat more. I justify having a bigger breakfast but still eat a small lunch. I want three meals! Need to keep it simple and stick with what I know for now. Discards have been small or non existent of late plus one gain of 1 llb.
    Feeling good though! Walked a lot more yesterday just because I felt like it and have pleasant aches in my buttocks and inner thighs!! It’s really helpful for my mental health as well. Feeling sexy! 😉
    More weeding this morning, my allotment has suffered a little neglect. Then some walking. I get the urge to run but on advice of my physio can not do anything high impact, ever! Which is a bit frustrating. So just walk fast. Looking forward to starting some other form of exercise when more restrictions have been lifted. Martial art? Weights? Or I may treat myself to swimming lessons and finally learn how to swim with my head down as my style is not good for my neck with it’s premature degeneration.
    Hey, resisted going to see the girls yesterday and eat birthday cake, can’t say it wasn’t on my mind though. Also resisted buying chocolate when I popped to the garage last night despite strong cravings. Get me!
    Have a good week all, keep it up! 🧡🌹🍏

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Get you indeed RosyApple! So much to be positive in there !! I feel you on the ‘i just want to more’ – I am SO comfortable at about 1100 calories and know that when I make it to that stage and being able to relax a little that it SHOULD be much easier. I still find the 800 cals a struggle!
    There is a bit in the Dr Cywes stuff that talks about taking away the carbs and recognising that you need to replace it with something as it has been such a big part of our lives….. my something is coffee (mix of regular and decaf; and mix of black in the morning and white or creamy in the afternoon) but i think the cream pushes my calories over….and i need to learn moderation – I am a total all or nothing person – starting to see the addictive traits…!
    Anyway, yesterday was on plan just 200 cals too many (made homemade burgers last ngiht which are brill, very low carb but too many calories!). Today – I will nail it. Just taken prawns out the freezer for dinner – they are really low calorie (haha should have known that) so will make for a good salad tonight. Trusty shake for lunch i think as i know where i stand with it and i dont crave other stuff after it.

Arcticfox – that all sounds so exciting, if a tad stressful! 18 acre farm sounds great – whats your plans for it? Such a lovely opportunity for you. I hope things get sorted with your place and the sales work out. Sorry the choc and ice cream monsters got you – they are sneaky little devils!! They have had such a powerful hold on us its easy for them to pounce on us! I cant really let them into my head at all!

EllieAllgera – you have done well, despite and unsticky weekend! I struggle through them too! At least you know you are pointing the right way and making positive steps! Clothes bargains sound like a good plan – I detest shopping but quite looking forward to having a snoop after lockdown with a hopefully new body to look at in the mirror! Powerful stuff!

Sounding positive Britta, looking forward to cheering the 80kg milestone with you!!

Jeremy – I’m confident you will find a way of making this work for you. If you have been a big carb eater this is a big adjustment for your body – it is worth it!!

Have a good tuesday people!

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all,

Britta – I like your experimental touch. Let us know how the red cabbage comes out. Sounds good. I’m in a similar place to you weightvise – have dropped under 80 (now 78) and have about 9-10 kg to go. Onwards and downwards!
    Wellcome Jeremy – well done on your first week loss. As SunnyB says – you will start to feel better soon if you stick with it.
    Arcticfox – I’m well inpressed with you making an offer on a farm. I hope this or another one will come through for you. Also lovely for you to see your family.
    Hi RosyApple – well done for staying motiveted. Sounds like you are in a good place.
    I’ve also got back to a good place mentally after a stressful lasts week. Am back on track with the eating and exercice and saw this morning that a kilo had dropped already. Just shows that eating some exessive carbs over the weekend probably resulted in water retention that now has been released. Feels good anyway.
    Enjoy the week.

• posted by zuzuvela
    on

Hi @britta, I’m just in Week 10 so I decided to continue for a few weeks. I still have 15kg to lose so I’m planning to move to 4:3 when I finish this phase. I’ll need to make sure I keep the 4 non-fasting days reasonable so I’ll keep counting calories. My appetite is small at the moment and I feel full quickly so I hope that will help.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi WindyJulz – just missed your post. Like your attitude very much – you have found a way to make this sustianable. Keep going and you will get there, as I hope I will too. Have a great day!

• posted by Britta
    on

Good resisting there Rosy. I have taken to liking the satisfaction of resisting so much that I have started baking cakes for other people – just because I love that feeling of not eating it! My friends and family might develop weight problems as a result… but it feels great! Also I always eat 3 meals, roughly 200 cals breakfast 250 cals lunch and whatever is left for dinner. I occasionally have brunch on a Saturday and I find those days requiring a lot of willpower to get through. I think my body likes habits a lot and however many calories I “spend” on brunch it feels cheated out of a meal…

Weekends used to be my downfall too EllieA and it took a few hard weekends to get past that. Do you use a calorie tracking app? I find it reminds me that the same rules of eating apply on those days.

I don’t even know how much 18 acres is, but it sounds like more than my garden! I grew up in the countryside and have been a city person ever since, but as I get older I am beginning to romanticise about “country living”… Anyway, I had exactly the same realisations as you after eating some garlic bread last week, Arctic. Thought cravings were gone but suddenly so was the garlic bread (followed by bloatedness and cravings again the next day)! I don’t know if we will get better at resisting or if we will just get better at accepting that this will happen, but that it doesn’t mean all is lost. Having thought about it for a bit I think this is the sort of thing that would have in the past led to days of being “off the wagon”, and it didn’t, so that’s kind of a win I think?

• posted by Britta
    on

Crikey, we’re all writing at the same time! I’ll keep you posted on the cabbage Olive, so far it is looking good. @zuzu when you say 4:3 is that 4 or 3 days @800 calories?

• posted by Britta
    on

sorry @zuzu, read your post too quickly, you did say 4 days non-fast. Sounds sensible to me

• posted by Roheryn
    on

Week three and I’ve lost another 4lb so 13lb in total and I’ve started to notice a difference in how my clothes fit. I’m still really enjoying it not least because I feel in control of what and how much I eat. I have been working through the recipes in the book and have some definite favourites – the beetroot and fig salad is one of the nicest things I have had in a long time.

• posted by SusieMac1957
    on

Hi
    Having read 3 of MM’s books I hope I’ve prepared myself for this journey. I have started on the Fast800 yesterday and am doing TRE of 18:6. I’m finding this easy and have given the time restricted eating plan a go for a few weeks now. I guess it’s just finding what works for each of us. No two of us are the same
    I’m 63 and reasonably fit and healthy but need to lose around 2st to be a healthy weight. Only 5’3” I don’t have the capacity to accommodate this extra fat and I’m now uncomfortable. Feeling very positive about the whole thing and am seriously excited to see what I can do on this plan. I have ordered a blood sugar monitor and some keto strips but have no idea WHEN to use those!!

• posted by SusieMac1957
    on

Wow that’s one great result Jeremy. If I lose half of that I’ll be happy in my first week!! Well done you 👍👍👍

• posted by zuzuvela
    on

I realised today that my cold has turned into hay fever (or maybe it was hay fever all along!). It’s a good reason to start wearing a face mask on my walks….

Everything is on track with the diet, although I had day dreams about ordering delivery from fancy restaurants in my home city. If everything goes according to plan I’ll go there in early July. I know you can get healthy delivery options so I’m already looking forward it!

on

Thanks for the video link MerryMelba. That was interesting – I like things that are technical!! I’ve gone on to watch another of his videos too.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.Im still plodding along with not much progress on scales but finding my pants a bit less snug .working on reducing late night snacks and increasing water.good luck on a successful week to you all

on

Having looked up carb flu. I think you’re right SunnyB. I felt a little better today, so I’m hopefully going in the right direction.

I was thinking of doing this diet – 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. Has anyone else tried this? What I’m worried about now is that I just get over the ‘carb flu’ and then have to go through it again every 2 weeks. Any thoughts?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

In my humble opinion that would just muddy the water, Jeremy, confusing your body and hampering weight loss progress. I know 8wks feels a daunting prospect when first starting out, but it’s surprising how quickly one settles into the routine and the weeks zip by. I’d encourage you to really commit and do the 8wks straight through

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hello Everyone and welcome to a new week. My lockdown birthday celebration is over for another year (thanks for the kind wishes Wendy) and now it’s back on plan once again for me. I enjoyed what I ate but once a year of that Naughtiness is enough! Don’t even ask about the white jeans! They stayed in the wardrobe! I have been up and down the same few pounds for the last few weeks but overall I am happy that I won’t be coming out of lockdown any heavier than when it started as despite my anxiety about getting Covid, I managed to keep my eating under control. That is a win! My plan for this week is to keep doing what I know works. Two meals a day, plenty of water, and low carb. I am going to continue being kind to myself and make good, healthy choices and be grateful for my health and happiness. I think finding balance has become important.

I didn’t get weighed this morning for obvious reasons after my indulgences yesterday. A few days back on the straight and narrow will sort out the excess! Have a good week and let’s hope that there is a little less of us all next week!

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Hi everyone!
    Had a successful day eating wise, kept carbs to just over 20 and calories just over 1,000. Result!
    Feel great, must be doing something right.
    I thoroughly relaxed in my garden this afternoon, I haven’t done this for I don’t know how long without my head going ten to the dozen. So peaceful.
    Someone didn’t recognize me earlier today, he had to do a double take! Enjoyed a couple of coffees with him in my garden this evening and had a lovely chat! I must say it was nice to spend time in the company of a man….. 😊
    So, tomorrow is another day, babysitting in the morning, a walk perhaps and maybe some more relaxing and more steak, garlic mushrooms and tomato.
    I’m wondering about ditching yogurt and fruit next week? I had eggs, smoked salmon and avocado for breakfast today and it seemed to set me up better for the day, (any breakfast tips anyone?)
    So much learning and experimentation going on, I’m finding it fascinating.
    Hey, my small jeans are feeling a little baggy. Woo hoo!
    Keep up the good work everyone 🧡🌹🍏

• posted by DoubleDutch
    on

Hi all,
    Still here, Tuesday is my official weighing day and happy to report another kilo gone. Inching closer and closer to getting into a healthy bmi range , although, with the “new or better bmi” method (kind for tall people like me, not so kind for the vertically challenged) , I’m already there! Although I must admit, it’s just a number on the scales, I really don’t want to be part of the category ‘overweight’ anymore. So, 3.5 kilo to discard and if possible, some wriggle room.

I’m kinda hoping to move to maintenance after my 6 month new me anniversary on July 6th. I like this date to move to maintenance, but no one can predict what will happen to my weightloss. I might stall for the next three weeks. But I like the thought of going into a new stage of this WOE, do there, decided. My pledge is to make most out of the next three weeks of fast 800 and experiment how maintenance works out for me after July 6th.
    Good luck everyone for this brand new week on this WOE. Wipe your slate clean, get on the wagon in fallen off and don’t forget, we’re all human, all struggling with the same choices and nobody is perfect. Who wants to be nobody anyway??
    Xx DD

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    Joining in this week.
    Lost 1 kilo but that’s one of the two I gained from last week..still a loss but would have liked a bit more. No matter I’m on the way down.
    Was feeling weird in my head yesterday..a bit lightheaded and just strange, bit hard to describe. Don’t know if it’s coz I was very low carb yesterday or what it was, it’s stopped now.
    Wow look at you Arctic Fox and your offer on the farm, amazing !!
    I don’t think I’d be that brave to do it on my own.
    It’s 3pm and I’ve just eaten my first meal.. yoghurt,berries and chia seeds, think I’m addicted to that😊 hubby is having steak for dinner, I don’t eat anything that comes from a four legged animal, so not sure what I’ll have.
    Might just have veges.
    Riccoh are u ok? Haven’t seen u here for a while.
    😊🖐️

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Can i just start this week today? Yesterday didnt go great, was all planned….shake at lunch, accidental sausage too, then had cheese mid afternoon – mistake. Then had my prawn salad for dinner…… the some oatcakles….. then a yogurt….then went outside, came in early and had an apple and some 90% chocolate. I realise compared to the old me this isnt that bad….. but really it was a lot of emotional events which were not needed. I just felt a bit scunnered yesterday, next 2 days of work will be stressful, and i was just tired and feeling a bit fed up of the calories counting and the regiment.
    Anyway, today is a new day and I’ll aim for one meal this evening, I’d like to do a 36hr fast but dont think thats wise with a full 2 days of audit.
    Hopefully my head can be back in the game and any damage minimised.

Good work on the losses waitaminute and doubledutch. Nice to see you so positive and bouncy Rosyapple! Clarinetcathy – belated happy birthday, glad you had a good time and are feeling in control; that is a win!!

Right oh wednesday – lets be having you!

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

C’mon WindyJulz! You can do this! A few unintended slip ups can’t derail you 🤗 and like you say, compared to old habits, not too bad.
    I remember talking to a man at the weigh in queue at Slimming World (excuse language!!) some years ago that he found going off plan once in a while was good for his weight loss. Does it keep the body guessing? Food for thought?
    On the matter of Slimming World, I think that diet almost promoted bingeing on account of all the carbs and sweeteners. Yuk, more trouble than it’s worth. So glad to have found this WOE 😁🧡🌹🍏

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

I’m in the game, dont worry Rosyapple! And for the first time I’m not beating myself up over it, its fine, it will slow this weeks progress but it wont change my new way of life. My once a week day is a saturday….this saturday will be better controlled – no wine for me!! And I’m ok with that too.
    My head is def in a better place.
    Your posts always make me smile (well except when you are struggling!) I totally relate to your mindset! I was talking about slimming world the other day and was OMG no wonder it never works long term…. ! I am genuinely convinced we are on to the right thing with this way of eating and although the 800 cals is tough I am for once convinced i will reach goals, and I am really looking forward to the next phase…. though i have a few lbs to go before I commence that. Its all so fascinating!!

• posted by DoubleDutch
    on

Someone on this forum wrote, I’m paraphrasing here, after a day with some ‘oopsies’ she reminded herself that she would just buy that smaller dress one day later. Wednesday instead of Tuesday 🙂 I loved that and it really helped me with getting myself back on the wagon after a snaxident the next day, of even the next meal.

• posted by zuzuvela
    on

Not much to report, except that I tried on some smaller-sized clothes yesterday. They almost fit so that feels very good. I’m planning some exercise later on (upper body weights and pilates) and a fish stew for tonight.

• posted by SusieMac1957
    on

I needed to lose some weight before the lockdown, and since working from home I am slipping into unhealthy habits, big time! I am a positive and happy 63 yr old woman and I need to lose this uncomfortable and dangerous weight around my middle. I hope that I can give and receive support in this group. I feel very strongly that belonging to a like minded group of people is always a force for good. Looking forward to getting to know you all xxxx

• posted by zuzuvela
    on

Welcome Susie! The current context is a good excuse to get healthy. In addition to Fast800 (800 calories a day), I’m doing regular pilates to strengthen my core muscles. Highly recommend it and I’ve lost centimetres from around my waist.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !
    Welcome Jeremy Fisher (I totally agree with everything Sunny advised by the way 😉
    Welcome SusieMac 1957 ! You will find all the support you need on here so feel free to ask questions if you are unsure of anything.We always do our best to help.
    Well, I am back into school on Monday as all pupils are to return and with an easing of the distancing meaures.We are waiting for more info but I feel quite relieved that I can go back and have some form of ‘closure’ rather than just drifting into retirement. There are only 2 weeks left before we break up for the summer but I am happy to be free of the online teaching platform .I am looking forward to seeing the kids and my colleagues again. Early starts though !
    I have spent a bit of time sorting out clothes that really don’t look right now. I am definitely resisting ‘consuming’ lots of ‘stuff’ . I had a bit of a re think during lock down.
    Stay positive everyone. You seem to have the right atttude and you are not beating yourselves up so much after a blip.
    Articfox I so hope your plans come to fruition . You have been trying to sell your place for a while now and this time you seem so . close !! It is stressful but stay positive and keep us informed
    Crikey it’s Thursday tomorrow. Another week is galloping by ! Keep focused everyone and carry on being kind to yourselves !

• posted by Riccoh
    on

I’m still plodding along here. Slowly emerging from lockdown here in NSW with some new habits. Feeling good. The biggest biggest thing I have done is set up a new exercise routine with 3 x 6k walks and 3 1hr weight sessions per week. Food wise I fell off the rails and then had a bit of an emotional wobble. Feeling better now and back on plan. 16:8 and 800 cals. Feeling positive again!!! I’ve been overweight for 50 years apart from a crazy diet I did in my late 20s. I needed my hubby onside and it has taken a bit to convince him. I’ve ‘always’ been on a diet, and failed, so he hasn’t believed I could be serious. He LOVES his food but is only slightly overweight. Self sabotage is one thing but does anyone have family who don’t see how important this is?

• posted by Riccoh
    on

I love the quote EllieAllegra, beautiful name by the way, but I would like to think my journey is 2 steps forward, 1 step back so I am moving forward little by little. I love the cha cha analogy.

Thanks everyone for your continuing support. It means a lot.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Great to see you back and plodding along Riccoh😊 I’m doing exactly that. I’ve had a few slides back into bad eating habits but still here.
    We have emerged from lockdown here in NT too , still a bit scary tho, with so many things in the media about a potential second wave of covid, still I suppose you have to just be careful, follow rules and stay aware.
    My hubby says he’s joining me on this WOE and then comes home with chips and all sorts of things that are not carb friendly, 🙄 he cuts out a couple of slices of bread from his diet and wham , he loses weight 😭 here I am struggling on some days, eating the right food and drinking heaps of water and not losing anything 😝, bit disconcerting !!!!!
    Spent most of yesterday very busy so didn’t eat till later In the day, dinner was just veges so I’ll see what the scales say today, or if any clothes feel a teeny bit looser.
    Have a great day/ night 😊🖐️

• posted by EllieAllegra
    on

Thanks Riccoh 🙂 Hope everyone is doing well. I’ve had a stressful couple of days due to work etc but have tried to stay on track with things. I think I may need to add a bit more variety into my food next week and maybe try and do some batch cooking at the weekend if possible. As life gets busier again I don’t want to have to turn to quick fixes which are usually unhealthy! Anyway, hope everyone is staying well. I have to keep reminding myself that getting healthy will be a very, very long marathon rather than a sprint (ironic as I couldn’t physically do either, but hope you get my drift lol)! Stay well all 🙂

• posted by EC
    on

Good (AUS) morning all
    Sorry for the radio silence here but I’ve had a bit of a sh# week with two deaths in our close knit music community
    One was not unexpected but the other was a tragic accident of a young man with a new baby on the way
    Welcome Susie-you sound like my physical twin (same age and goals)
    Arcticfox the farm sounds daunting but exciting Esp if your parents are on board to cheer you on!
    EllieAllegra (also love the name!) I’m also in for the long hall as I seem to lose slowly (but losing I am)
    And Zuzuvella thanks for the tip re Pilates as I really need to carve some cms off my middle!! (CV risk and all!)
    We had our first snow on the mountain yesterday and a huge frost now so winter is well and truly here!
    Well off to work but meeting a friend over lunch so a little normality here also
    Have a great day all!

• posted by Riccoh
    on

I can relate to the hot chips waitaminute.
    Getting out and about a little more so we might have a chance to get back on track. I certainly hope so. My husband has just started back at his beloved bowls 4 days a week so I am able to fast during the day which is great.

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Morning all, up at 5am again, seems to be the way af things just now.
    Had my second weigh in this week and have discarded 3 llbs. That’s 1 and a half stone in 7 and a half weeks, which I’m very pleased with especially as its been quite a bumpy road . I am now in the 12 stone zone, just! I’d like to keep it that way until I get to 11st and 10 st something of course.
    Still I can’t get to the elusive 800cals very often which bothers me a little, though something is obviously working. I’ve been logging what I eat on Fatsecret for nearly a month and my averages are quite high.
    I’m not sure what to expect now I’m coming up to 8 weeks and having not acieved 800cals very often. Do I carry on as is or try and push the cals down?? I must think on as I feel I’m lacking a plan.
    Thanks for your support everyone, I really couldn’t have done it without you. 🧡🌹🍏

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

WEll done Rosyapple on the discard, I’m just a tad shy of 1.5st on the same time period. I was at 1st 4lbs down end of last week but pretty sure i wont have lost 3lbs this week.
    I’m the exact same, really struggle to get to the 800 cals, Yesterday I thought was a reasonable day but still at 930. I should ditch the cream in the coffee, or some yogurt as an after dinner thing, or loose some cheese…. but its hard, I really enjoy these things, mindfully! But we’ve got this far doing what we are doing, and I figure 900-1000 consistently is better than spiking all over the place….but i will endeavour to find the magic 800, would be good to find the way to make a solid week of 800. hmmm….pondering here also!

on

I’m really trying to understand why everyone is so worried about 800 calories. If you’re losing weight at 900 or 1000, then that’s great. Similarly if you’re not losing weight slowly on 800, you should probably drop it down. Who cares about some arbitrary number!

I didn’t see any scientific evidence in Michael’s book that 800 was key. Correct me if I’m wrong, but most of the studies seem to be done on 500 calories (or on a water only fast) and Michael just upped it to 800 because it was more manageable longer term.

I’d really love to know if there is some magic about 800, because after struggling in week one with ‘carb flu’ I’ve upped my calories to 1100 this week, with a view that I’ll run for longer to make up the extra I’ve added. Those extra 300 calories make a huge difference to how I feel (and, so far, I continue to lose weight).

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Well done WindyJulz on your achievements 😁
    Well done to you Jeremy Fisher on yours also 😁
    I too am often confused about this number and find it very difficult to attain. I suppose we are on the Fast800 forum so that’s our goal, right? Are we not all looking for fast results? That said my happy place in terms of feeling satisfied seems to hover more around 1050 and with this I have discarded well. Some days I have gone way over this when I’ve carb binged on emotions or simply eaten too much. Feeling much more steady now and I guess it boils down to choices and the consequences of not making the best ones.
    I talked to my doctor some time ago and he was convinced that I would lose weight if I didn’t binge and that did indeed work for a while and I lost over 1.5 stones. Now I need a much more focused approach. Mmmm, on I go, 14 hour fast period and 3 meals a day…… I think I’ll stick with that and focus on the carb content of food and tweaking that as I go…. need lots of veg though! 🧡🌹🍏

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

I dont think its magic Jeremy, but having targets and rules help a lot of people. It is the number that research showed was low enough to be fast for weightloss and sustainable for the majority of people over an 8-12 week period.
    I know i am quite active (just not between 8am and 5pm) with horses to care for, we do a lot of walking, some weights and cardio…. and yeah 800 is difficult – but for me personally it is a target, I like rules and planning and it helps, if i dont aim for it i’m pretty sure my intake would just increase and increase – another 100 calories here and there wont hurt blah blah. There is a lot of psychology at play in this way of eating and a number of us certainly will have a poor relationship with food and it will be connected also to how we feel about ourselves – self sabotage is a real thing and tracking aiming for 800 makes me accountable. It has been an important lesson not to give in or beat myself up for not achieving it.
    I also know from the past 8 weeks, if i keep to 800 i do loose weight, if i have too many days significantly over then i dont.
    As you have said before, we are individuals and we need to find what works for us.
    Calories arent as simple as ‘i weigh x, i’m x tall, im moderately active therefore i will burn yy calories adn just need a deficit”. A lot of folk who ahve struggled with weight for a long time will have slow metabolisms, and the fast 800 is designed to reset. I know i need to have stupidly low calories too loose weight…. it took a few weeks of this for my hubby to recognise and accept this…. it is surprising.
    I’m sure you are right, if 1000 is easier we all ought to loose weight on that…. but some of us like the rules and the 800, even if it is often an aspirational value….

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Julz is right, the 800 is there to reset damaged metabolisms and it isn’t as simple as calories in/ calories out. If it was, all those diets we have all been on before, would have worked long term and we wouldn’t need the Fast 800 and this way of eating. Not all calories are equal, we need to pay attention to carb levels and whilst some people can lose weight on a higher level of calories, it really doesn’t work for others.
    If you are able to lose weight on a higher level of calories, all well and good and you shouldn’t beat yourself up for not hitting the 800 mark. However, for many learning the discipline of a healthier eating pattern is important and the Fast 800 gives a good framework for doing just that.

Rosy, woohoo🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🌟🌟 huge well done on breaking through the 12st barrier. I know this has been hard won, so congratulations for riding it out and getting to this milestone in just 7weeks.

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

I like everything you have to say there WindyJulz, it makes total sense and certainly what I needed to hear right now 🧡🌹🍏

Please log in or register to post a reply.