ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning August 25th 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Justjudy, sugar is most certainly an addictive substance and there are lots of books about it. I remember reading ‘Pure White and Deadly’ by John Yudkin as well as Gary Taubes book ‘Why we get fat and what to do about it’ and they convinced me that sugar is really really not good for us. I was just like you, constantly chomping choc and biscuits but the key when weaning yourself off the starchy stuff is to find alternatives that you enjoy.It takes time to prefer lettuce over a bun but it does happen 😉 Lily doesn’t like lettuce but I adore it !!!

Have a good weekend everyone.

SG, I totally agree .You were right to keep away from the gathering. It’s just not worth the risk .

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Goober.Im also a prediabetic and I use my hubbys. blood sugar monitor daily.I find it helps me to be more diligent in controlling my lapses.Imust say that as a nurse I have a good knowledge of normal values.If my fasting level in the morning is a bit high ,I will fast till it drops to an acceptable level before eating and I will be more strict.Most health professionals would be reluctant to advise you to monitor yourself if you have not had a good education on it.In australia diabetic tests etc are subsidised by medicare but only if recommeded by your Doctor .As SG says you need to know what your doing. IF you follow the suggestions on this forum you should be fine.I usually say I’m a diabetic when eating out and ordering something a bit different from menus and I think of myself as a non medicated diabetic.This mindset helps me to think that I’m managing my health not dieting.good luck

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Butterlover, don’t forget the Dawn Phenomenon where BG rises due to overnight liver dump when the body is low on food (as with a diet). If someone has no knowledge of this they could become very worried.

on

Happy Saturday everyone, why happy. We are here, we are well and we are still caring about our health and wellbeing.
    Had a spur of the moment bout of motivation before lunch. Dashed down to the bedroom, got into cozzie and jumped straight in the pool – oooops, forgot we had a cooler day yesterday (24 degrees) and also some rain – pool was pretty fresh. Anyway, you soon get used to it and it is so refreshing. Did 30 mins then had a shower. By the time I got out of the shower it was absolutely heaving it down. Lesson, do not prevaricate over exercise, just do it. I feel great for it both in mind and body.
    Gooner, you have had a similar response from your doctor that diabetics have been getting for years. Sorry it has not improved and there are still some dinosaurs out there. To be fair to the doctor, they dont get much training in nutrition and when I was doing my nurse training everyone in my year failed the nutrition exam. The tutor laughed and said, yes it is so boring – is that the sign of a good teacher??? Anyway, the old school is to tell us to lose weight, eat low fat and keep stoked up on carbs so we dont go into a hypo. We now know it is the carbs that are making the diabetes worse – I also liken it to giving an alcoholic a drink so their alcohol levels stay topped up. My own doctor pretty much lets me do as I please (within reason) as he really has no idea. His idea of nutrition advice is to show me a book with pictures of food and ask me to point to the ones I eat so he could say, not that, not this etc. Unfortunately for him I had a pretty good diet and the only thing he could tell me to stop eating was cured meat. However, a lot of doctors are catching on to the high fat (good fats) low calorie, low carb diets and we here are all the living proof that it works. At present you are pre-diabetic. Follow this plan for a few weeks and you can reverse that – but it is quite a strict diet. Once you get yourself on the right track with your health you will probably have to watch your carb intake as a life choice. Not easy but a whole lot better than full blown diabetes. Stay with us and learn and share your experience and worries. There is always someone who can help.

• posted by EC
    on

Hello all
    I’ve been a little quiet again this week, …. have been focusing on getting back into the BSD “swing”.
    I haven’t started logging MFP again yet, but food wise I’m pretty much back on track (still a few wine slip-ups 🙁 ) but otherwise feel food wise back on track!! ….exercise has been mostly walking, though I did manage a short run the other day and hoping the first signs of real Spring here will see me back on the yoga mat (the lounge room is like a fridge in winter unless we light the fire!)

Arcticfox-I realise you’re probably mid-move–all the best for a wonderful future in your new abode!

I’ve been clearing cupboards (hoping it’s a metaphor for shedding all sorts of things-including a few kg 😉 ) and I sold a whole lot of clothes that are now too big (and if they’re not here, I don’t have the option of the “larger wardrobe”) I plan to spend the money getting a few favourites that I’ve kept altered so that they fit better!

On the downside-my sleep has been terrible this last week (even with magnesium and melatonin!)-hence writing this at 3.45 Aus EST!!
    hopefully it’s just a temporary glitch as it messes with my morning motivation to get out with the border collie!

SG I’m with you on the gatherings-since COVIDhit I’ve “attended” three funerals and a wedding via zoom-while it’s a bit weird, they’ve been still incredibly moving. I’ve also said no to a few birthday gatherings-our state is currently virus free but our borders (easier when we’re an island!) are closed til December-still hopeful we can get to see our Vic families at Christmas
    I’ve been sending the grandkids care parcels and letters most weeks and reading stories online to the 4yo, which has been a hoot-but being in the same room will be glorious when it happens again!!

Happy (probably belated by now) birthday to you WindyJulz! (Wendy you must be the best list-keeper on the planet!)

Anyhow-wishing you all a gentle last Sunday in August….. and a welcome to Spring for all the southerners and to Autumn for all you northerners for our next week! (Can’t believe that around this time last year we were planning our trip to Canada…Cape Breton Island in the autumn was something to behold!!) I will compensate by getting the Spring veggies in in beautiful Tasmania!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi EC ! I thought it was a strange time for you to be checking in ! Good to hear from you. Sorry you are having trouble sleeping.Is work busy and you find it hard to switch off from it ? Lavender helps me as does deep, slow yoga breathing.

I ‘m with you on refusing to consider having a larger wardrobe. My big sizes have been sold and some dresses I like have been put aside for alteration too. I don’t expect to wear too many posh frocks now !

EC, my son managed to get authorisation to leave Melbourne with his girlfriend and they are doing 2 weeks quarantine in a hotel in Brisbane.They had hoped to do their stint in a hotel in Cairns where my other son lives. but their flight stopped off in Brisbane. It’s costing them but they are not paying rent while they are away (probably until Christmas ) so they decided it was viable. Both can work from home, fortunately.
    Hubby’s daughter and grandkiddies are fine in Tasmania and looking forward to the Spring as you say. Yes I remember the glorious fresh produce there ….and the air felt so clean and exhilarating ! It will be some time before we get back but we will ….

Windyjulz hasn’t checked in yet .I hope she does.Also Amz, Lily ….

Articfox ..hope the move went well and you are happy !
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend. xxxx

on

Still going well. No need to resist the wine as once I set my mind to something I carry it through. It didnt even cross my mind even though I was bored out of my mind with Goldeneye. Daughter is doing very well, better than me but this is her first time and first week. Unfortunately, she is disheartened because her partner (male) has lost 4.8kg and she has ONLY LOST 3.5. Boo hoo for her – I keep telling her that is half a stone.
    Ready now to face another week. Hope everyone is having a good weekend. There is even talk of a Covid vaccine by Christmas. Fingers crossed for that. BTW the reports came from Spain, France and UK.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Glad to be one of JGwen’s oddballs 🤪 I read all the posts everyday. But hey, I have been in lockdown since Mid March, apart from 4 lovely weeks “out” in June.
    Wendy, that is so great that you saw Birdy. I often think of her, and miss her sparkly posts. I do hope she comes back after her holiday,
    And good to hear that you have holiday plans too. First retirement fling🏖🏝
    This week has been a bit same old. Keeping things in balance, and staying in maintenance. Made some keto carrot muffins today. Ate one with some cream cheese and lemon topping – tasty but I didn’t make the sweet – and will freeze the others.
    I love the sound of your tuna patties WaitAM. Will try that. Our big supermarket now has Frozen cauli & veg rice, which I think is mainly cauli and broccoli, so I will try that in the patties.
    Hi Sunshine Girl – good luck with your house sitters.
    Hello Gooner and Judy. And a wave to Caro in NL.
    Spring for us down under is just a day away. 🌺🌺
    Merry

• posted by wendleg
    on

Merry I think JGwen meant it was unsual to read all of the posts ?? 😉 😉
    I’m definitely a bit odd, I love lettuce , remember 😉 😉
    Birdy is back home from France now and in quarantine for 2 weeks so she has time to check in.She says she needs ‘ to get her ass into gear ‘ !!

Oooh Spring…I love Spring , Merry . I hope the situation eases in Melbourne soon so you can get out more to enjoy the lovely Spring days
    I am sure your told your daughter not to compare with her partner, SG. She has made a great start ! Is she coming onto the forum ?
    What is Goldeneye ?
    Have a good evening /morning depending where you are xxx

on

Hi Wendy, Goldeneye is one of the James Bond films with Pierce Brosnan – hate them.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.I had a good week last week when I went to the country for a few days.stayed on track and had a bit of wine off set by long walks.probably also being very cold a night helped.how may calories are burned with Shivering ?This week I’ve been over eating and regained my loss.So getting back on track and focussed to discard 1 kg per week over 8 weeks which will be a big achievement for me as I don’t usually stick to plan. I hope everyone has a good week.

• posted by EclecticRajistani
    on

Good morning,
    Welcome Gooner and JustJudy! I was also a lurker on this site, reader before I started posting. So lovely on here, everyone is honest, supportive of eachother.

As always great advice from Wendy! I started BSD 2nd attempt 4 weeks ago, and its been tough at rtimes but more good days then bad. I’ve lost 11 pounds so far and a few inches everywhere. I would add dont compare though. Some lose more or less than others but ultimately this is your individual journey. I used to compare alot and it just made me feel bad which then makes you feel your are not doing well and then cycle of whats the point. I haven’t done that so far but I know we all can feel like that at some point. Support nurture your feelings and thoughts around food as well as all the BSD principles re types of food etc. Meal Plan, shop for food in advance if you can, diary, free app to log, focus on what you can eat not what you can’t, thats been a massive take home for me this second attempt.

I’ve upped my carbs slightly for this week, as due on so avoiding the non bsd sugar craving foods. Energy levels are up!!!

Gooner where are you based? I only ask as you can get your gp or self refer which is what I did for the at risk diabetes prevention programme ( I don’t have pre diabetes but my family have diabetes and combined with my weight etc I’m classified as at risk) , (search online). They offer free coaching online over a 9 month period with a group of folks. I had my first chat with a coach and it was great! They use a holistic approach, way of eating, exercise but also mindfulness, emotional state, stress management and sleep etc.
    This forum is also incredibly supportive and helpful so please check in good and bad days, moments. Transforming lifetime habits as Gwen is a marathon, not a sprint.

Hope everyone else is doing well and of you are not reach out and ask for help support.

I’m back to work tomorrow, training days and Thursday its time to teach our students. I may not post as will be busy but hope to and will definitely be reading!

Have a great Monday and a wonderful week BSD family 👪 💙

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Merry, Wendy is correct, We do get newcomers to the forum who start up a new thread. Sometimes they get upset if people don’t reply. So I was poking fun at myself as part of the process of suggesting they join the weekly thread.

I am feeling a bit like an oddball at present. – Because you are put in the position of having strangers staying with you and talking about their long term plans This workaway program does mean I get to seen new peoples actions and issues up close. I am finding out how much common sense is in short supply at present 🙂

• posted by Lily
    on

Morning all

Have seriously considered resubscribing and changing my name to LilyLoathesLettuce but decided you all know that anyway. 🙂

I’m recommitting. I fell, and fell hard, from the plan. So, on a day where I’ve put the central heating on—it’s August!?!—I’ve decided to get back to it. I’m going to trust that I do know what I’m doing, that what works for others may not work for me, that what works for me may not work for others—I’m not letting the cacophony of voices back in. PS, most of those voices are mine—I’ve done every diet plan known to woman—and I’ve decided to let go of my fear of failure, let go of my desire to be perfect and concentrate on the 800 calorie part. I know about nutrition, about the need for balance. I don’t know why I keep looking for answers beyond what I already know to be fact. I don’t know why I allow myself to be derailed (ooh, hello perfectionist thinking—noticed you that time!) but enough is enough.

I don’t like how I feel right now. If I could be happy and fat, I’d stay fat. These people who say that they *are* happy and fat—well, they probably haven’t yet reached the age of 50 where things stop working so well. I’m not shedding weight for vanity (ha, another lie—caught you again, LilyLoathesLettuce!), I’m shedding weight because I’m not comfortable in my skin. I don’t sleep well because I can’t get comfy in bed. I don’t feel good about myself in my clothes. I look old and blobby. I have near-constant backache/sciatica. I keep giving myself raging indigestion because when I’m not on a diet I’m bingeing ahead of the next diet. I’m literally torturing myself. I could probably keep a psychologist in work for months trying to figure out why—do I seriously not believe I’m worth the effort? Am I really choosing (so-called) tasty food over quality of life? And ok, I accept that my naughty gut bacteria might be begging me to eat the wrong foods but there have been times in my life where I’ve stuck to a good plan for months on end and still ended up with a binge and bust. Why is this such a struggle?

I want for the food I put in my body not to be the only pleasure in my life. I want to stop viewing eating healthy food as “deprivation”. Because in doing so I’m depriving myself from every other form of pleasure. There’s a script in my head that goes, “Nothing good will happen for you until you’re slim.” And maybe that’s because I’ve made that a self-fulfilling prophecy—all the good bits of my life happened when I was slim. Or so I’m telling myself. That can’t possibly be true either.

I’m frantically looking for a hobby but can’t find anything I want to do. I’d blame Covid but frankly I was stuck in this place well before social distancing made everything even harder. Any ideas for someone who has a tendency to talk herself out of something within seconds?

Ack. As usual I’ve turned this into an essay.

Oh, by the way, I’ve cancelled my subscription to the paid version of Fast800. Turned out that you were right, everything I need really is right here (and in the books of course). It all seemed focused on giving you a diet plan to follow. There was a weird “pre-diet” week. And the forum was just a mess of posts—so many it would have taken days to keep up. I’m glad for MM that it’s going so well but I do wonder how many people actually make it to the finishing line. I was paying for more support but didn’t feel like I was getting it. I don’t know what I was expecting (something more personalised maybe?) but it definitely didn’t seem worth £99 for 12 weeks (and a tenner a month after that). If it’s ok, I’ll stay here instead?

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh it’s good to see you back, Lily ! We were getting worried.
    I haven’t got a perfect answer to all of your questioning but you do seem to have a good handle on the many issues which are causing you to self sabotage…..
    So I would just say CHILL….RELAX a bit. You know what to do, no need to over complicate things.No comparing, no racing …just your own personal ‘journey’ .You have all the knowledge.

We are of course here to provide support and share our experience, what has worked for us. Noone is perfect and as you say progress varies but that’s ok !
    I have to leave now to accompany hubby on his hearing test appointment( full MOT in progress !) but I will be back later to set up the new thread on the 1st September !
    Lily , September 1st is my 2nd anniversary date and I posted a long list of what I had learnt in my first year up to September 2019..I don’t know if it could help you but it’s on the forum somewhere. I will try and dig it out later .
    I will make it my mission to turn you into
    LILY LONGS FOR LETTUCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    😉

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Lily, sorry the paid for 800 didn’t prove to be useful to you, but we’re very glad to have you here with us. I never quite figured why there was the paid for thing, when we seem to get through perfectly will, without having to spend out. Anyway, you’re sounding determined to get on track and do what you know needs doing, with back up from us as required.

As you’ve identified, mindset is so important and I wonder if you have considered meditation. It’s not for everyone, but it has helped me enormously. Took awhile to settle into it, but it has certainly helped to calm my inner dialogue. Have just discovered an app called Bliss, which gives you the option to build soothing sound traces for meditation.

You are also right that expecting that losing weight will be the cure all for everything you perceive to be wrong in your life, is not realistic, however it is a great place to start. We all know that losing weight improves overall health, helps with sleep and often mobility, all of which bodes well for life in general.

I’m sure others will offer thoughts and suggestions, but you reboot focusing on the 800 and concentrating on the basics you can’t go far wrong. And when those voices start intruding, shout out and someone here will happily talk some sense to them.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes that’s the one Lily. I haven’t really got anything new to add….did I mention my love for lettuce ???

xxxx

on

Hi everyone, hope you all had a good weekend – Bank Holiday today for some of you. Lily, hope you got a refund. At least we now know what happens on that site.
    I have just been on a site I use to log my weight, exercise and food and clicked on an item about Diabetic Breakfasts. The opening sentence said “think you cant eat carbs as a diabetic, well think again, here are some breakfast ideas….. I did have a look and one was a version of brown toast and jam but the jam was raspberry coulis with honey (stating a no sugar alternative). I didnt comment but then saw a further article about diabetes and exercise and how to carb load after exercise. Sorry none diabetics but this wont take long. It said if you have done 30 mins of minimal exercise i.e. a stroll or some yoga, you should test your BG and if it is between 100mg/dL and 130.. you should eat at least 15g of carbs immediately. Well to me and a lot of people on here 100mg/dL is a perfect reading and no need for food or carbs. But even worse it said if your reading is between 180 and 250 you must eat within the hour. I just had to make a comment, if my BG was that high I certainly wouldnt be stuffing my face with carbs. Unfortunately, she didnt say what type of carbs but I assumed starch. It is the same advice my nutritionist gave me when I was having perfectly good readings at around 100 to 120, she said I was in danger of a hypo. Thank god for Michael Mosley.
    Anyway enough about diabetes. Lily can you put your mind to a hobby i.e. knitting, sewing, painting, yoga, learning a language, I go on FutureLearn and do short courses on lots of different subjects – all free of charge. Do a google search on pleasant pastimes. I really should get back into painting so I am not practising what I preach. I must admit I spend too much time on the computer, on sites like this, watching YouTube videos and playing silly games but I do enjoy general knowledge quizzes. I am sure you will find something.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Hello BSDers….. I have missed you.
    I spent 7 days in Norway from 20th Aug, kept to plan as best i could but so so missed having a generous side of broccoli (or any veg) when eating, their salads are below par and although i had options for the evening meals I struggled a bit…. not going to lie, chocolate and pringles were consumed. Work there was stressful and frustrating and as time went on i felt less and less in control of when i could eat and what i could have so it was all a little tricky. Delighted to get home, ate my body weight in broccoli (who’d have thought that would be the biggest craving Ive had on this journey!) regain control and have a good couple of days….. then it was my brithday on Saturday….. reasonably to plan, over calories and some drinking may have occurred! I made myself a coconut, sugar free, flour free cake which i was delighted about…… some chocolate was consumed……!
    So, here I am, all motivated to get right back in the game. I will not beat myself up, i am not a bad human because I have been off piste, I have not “ruined” everything, I am still leaner than i was and folk still see the difference in me…..but my motivation is back, and I am ready for another serious round of 800 on plan calories a day!! Planning 4 weeks then review but i know i want to do 8 weeks…..may plan a more relaxed week in October for our anniversary.
    I may even face up to the scales tomorrow morning….. not to beat myself up with but so i can see the progress over then next few weeks.

Anyhoo – thats my story, I’ll try to catch up on everyone else…. I’ll make a point of joining the new weekly thread once its going, checking in every day and keeping myself on track with you lovely people!

🙂

PS – No word from Rosyapple? That makes me sad…. hope she’s ok. Wish there was a way to reach out to her….. 🙁

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Ok – i feel caught up now!
    Lily – I feel for you and can relate a lot to what you ahve posted. You WILL find your way with this! There isnt a lot i can add to the wisdom of those who have already posted…… buy 2 things….
    1 – (and I struggle to type this as i know is is SO hard and has been the hardest thing) Love yourself adn be kind to yourself! You are doing this for you…..and to do so you have to find some peace with yourself. I did this through reading about carb addition, walking a lot on my own and doing some meditation (free stuff on youtube. I AM WORTH IT! I know i can still be a better person than i am today, but i have had to forgive myself for lots of things, and let go of all the negativity. Give it a go – go on a quest for some inner peace….. MASSIVE i know!
    2. Do you like scrabble?? There are a couple of good apps….. its quite relaxing and we could be scrabble buddies!!??

🙂

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Oh – Wendy – thank you SO much for the birthday shout – cant believe you remembered!! I had a really lovely time all things considered!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Right….I’m back after hubby’s hearing test and yes, a hearing device is needed so we have to research that.
    I am about to set up the new weekly thread !

• posted by wendleg
    on

The new weekly thread is ready !
    One Week at a Time beginning September 1st 2020

See you over there xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.