ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning August 25th 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

This feels like a renewal time with routines about to change as the summer holidays come to a close ( in Europe anyway !) September is approaching ! Our little community is all set for another week so do check in with us as and let us know how it’s going. I am having a reboot moment after a long maintenance phase but with room for improvement …so that’s my plan. Listing new recipe ideas, incorporating routine fasts now guests have left .

Please come and let us know how you are coping, and if you are starting out, welcome and you are in the right place !

Wendy and Sunny

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here we all are !
    Squidge , I didn’t forget you ! xx

SunnyB
    Merrymelba
    Niamh and Dean ( Neegan)
    EC
    Caronl
    Clarinet cathy
    Bryla
    Windyjulz
    Georgiejeorge
    Olive 1
    Puddy
    Dreamscometrue
    Gattina
    melH
    rosyapple
    LovesGroodles

timetochange
    Patricia
    Articfox
    Double Dutch
    PTR
    Britta
    Film24
    Rebeccakershaw
    JGwen (of course !!)

PlumpGoose
    Russianroulade
    DebbieDarko
    weebleswobble
    nicoles212
    Steviep
    Zuzuvela
    Frog
    GreenGal
    EachPeach
    SusieMac1957
    Limes254
    Butterlover
    PhoenixBurns
    Quetzal
    Waitaminute
    Riccoh
    Tulip1 (Clare)
    ADD6605(Dawn)
    Gyllb
    EllieAllegra

Roheryn
    AuroraB
    Sweetgirl
    BlueSkyz
    Karenwm
    SusieMac1957
    Jeremy Fisher
    ClemFlo
    LR800
    Eowyn
    Kevlondon and Mrs Kev
    Scubado
    Lulu16
    Shammy
    sunshine-girl !!!
    Beattie66
    2eviltwins
    Violinist ( Catherine)
    Sarah 1968
    Angelsand
    Lecurie
    Choccybuttons
    Sonz
    AnnieW
    Sixturkeys
    Urchin
    Delabodge( Clive)
    Calliope Swan
    O2BSkinny
    Ghudugi
    PSL68
    EclecticRajistani !!!
    Lily
    Luella
    Mumof4in France
    GardeningChef
    Gill33UKS
    Squidge !!
    No more banquets
    Weightykaty
    Petiteketo
    Humphrey1
    The other me

• posted by Luella
    on

Totally lost it already. I’ve been sick with some sort of summer cold/ flu and been in bed. So need to start all over again tomorrow.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sorry to hear that Luella. Look after yourself. You can start when you are feeling better, don’t worry. Try to nourish yourself with good food while you are feeling unwell xxx

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all, I’m still plodding on.
    Had a good week last week with weight loss and then came the weekend! Overindulged! Was away staying with friends, big dinner + drinks. Enough said.
    Had a great time though, nourishing the social side of life – badly needed these days.
    Am pleased that in the end weight was unchanged from last week. Could have been worse.
    Am back in the saddle, did a 18 hour fast from last night, and have had two good BSD meals today. Looking forward to a week with more routine and have a good meal plan. I will see if I can manage a 24 h fast this week. Really wish I dared to do longer fasts than that, but am mentally scared to do it.
    Wishing a great week to all!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Olive !
    Glad you had a good weekend ….it’s important to have special times with friends and no damage done, win win !
    I don’t want to be seen to be plugging fasting above all else…I see it as a useful tool but it doesn’t suit everyone. I used to do OMAD ( one meal a day) with a 24 h fast quite frequently when I was busy at work. It was fairly easy to move on to doing a 36 /40 hour fast now and again because the additional hours are spent sleeping. I stopped fearing hunger and rather than being scared it felt quite exhilarating and energizing. 18 hours is a good fasting stretch too .
    I am starting a new phase to see if I can discard a few more kilos and the fast I am doing right now ( likely to be 36 hours) is a way I can have a reboot moment 😉
    Wishing you a great week too, Olive !

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I had thought I’d have two clear weeks now, as a run up to our potential trip away to Turkey, in which to make sure I’m under target weight. However some friends have just invited us out for a meal on Thursday, so already I’m needing to adjust my plans.

New plan is to extend overnight fasts and maybe throw in a 24hr fast here and there. This will hopefully mitigate any potential fall-out from probable over indulgence on our evening out.

Whatever you starting point for this week and whatever last week brought your way, make this… right now …. a fresh start, double down and make this week count.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Yay! I’m on the list!

Sorry you’ve not been well, Luella. Hope you soon feel better.

Olive, sometimes there are things more important than sticking to the diet. If it’s just now and then, I imagine it’s probably better than being too strict and feeling we’re missing out.

I’m doing 16:8 fasting every day (sometimes it’s a bit longer – maybe up to 18) and find that works well for me. I was surprised how quickly I got used to it. I don’t fancy doing much longer. Are there any benefits to a longer fast, other than the fact we’d probably eat less that day?

I’m feeling motivated for the week ahead. As well as hopefully losing a little more weight, I’ll be working on my fitness and doing a bit of strength training. I didn’t nickname myself Squidge for nothing, so a bit of toning seems like a good idea.

• posted by Lily
    on

Hi all
    Well, after doing really well for 10 days I completely lost the plot, which is why I wasn’t around last week. All it took was a row with my Dad for me to turn to my faithful old coping mechanism, processed carbs. I ate and ate and ate.

And then when I tried to get back on with things, I found too many voices in my head. Low carb, lower carb, moderate carb, Keto, IF, OMAD, calorie counting, WW, SW…. All of them shouting, “Pick me! Pick me!”

I’m feeling so defeated. The diet that works is the diet you can stick to, right? Well, I can’t find a diet to stick to. I’ve been trying different things for nearly 40 years and yet somehow I’ve still got 5 stones to lose, my knickers are huge (was just folding washing in front of my son’s size 8 girlfriend and was struck by the immense size of my granny pants). How do you all pull yourselves back together after veering from the path? I wish I didn’t know so much about the many ways to shed weight. It would be so much simpler if I believed there was only one way.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone. Lilly , one day at a time is how I do it and very slowly.We all have occasional glitches.I always eat my anger and frustations.Its important to get back to basics ASAP .start with the principles,no white food bread pasta etc.then portion control. Re visit books and videos for inspiration.Drink water , go for a walk and keep expectations simple and realistic..getting down to 800 cals and looking at carbs protein etc can take a few weeks.Also remember this is not a diet it’s a lifestyle, a health plan,it’s a complete change in how we think about and consume food.Put your big girl pants on and take charge of yourself.Im sure you can succeed.good luck

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    Lily I agree totally with Butterlover, one day at a time is the best way to go..you can do this.
    Don’t give up, it’s easy to admit defeat, but do you really want that? Nooooo you don’t otherwise you wouldn’t be here with us.
    We’ve all had days where we want to fill up on the Carby stuff and some of us have, I know I have and still do occasionally, but then we decide what is important to each of us and we get back on our wagon and start again..we have no-one to answer to only ourselves.
    So come on lady, soon those knickers will be a size too big and you will be holding them up😂😂 till you get the next size down 👍
    Maybe we can be each other’s support person, coz I’m always falling off the wagon ( just read my posts 🙃)
    Anyhow I’m cheering you on ..gooooo Lily😉🤸🤸
    Stay safe, happy and healthy everyone 😊🖐️

• posted by Luella
    on

Hey Lily, please look up bright line eating and Susan pierce thompson. I’m a part of the ble community and I find the support incredible and unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I think because you have so much to lose it will help you. It’s all about blood sugar too. Have a look ❤️ I’ve been part of it for 2 years. I’m on here for an extra boost after lockdown as I’m impatient and then I’ll go back,

• posted by Luella
    on

Right. I’m determined to get to keto this week and get down to 800 calories. I need to see some magic happening on the scales. I have to say that fasting is getting way easier. I was going until 11am no problem but I’ve pushed that to 2pm now with no drama. I find I like to eat between 2 and 6 then I’m full and don’t snack in the evening. If I can just get into keto too then I think I’ve found the magic formula to get this next stone off ….

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi everyone. I wasn’t around last week but I’m catching up now. Still finding life quite tough with feeling that I’m not getting much closer to building a life under the restrictions. I do have a bit of work booked for a few weeks time, so hoping that is a good sign. Going for coffee with a friend later which I’m really looking forward to. I have definitely done a bit of comfort eating lately, but that has been extra nibbles in the evening rather than anything wildly off-plan. I do want to get on top of it though so it doesn’t creep and become my default coping strategy again.

Hope you enjoy your dinner with friends, Sunny. I am sure you will still be where you want to be for Turkey.

Get well soon, Luella!

I really sympathize, Lily. Conflict with family always sends me reeling too and not so long ago I would have coped just as you did. I also sympathize with the information overload. Too much knowledge can be overwhelming for sure. Perhaps go all in on Fast 800/BSD principles and forget everything else for now. It does work. I think most of us start there and then look at carbs more closely and longer fasts only when we are secure with the way of eating if we feel we need to. You can do it! From personal experience I would also suggest working on a plan for coping strategies when the going gets tough that don’t involve food. If we take away carby food as a crutch we still need something to keep us upright.

My dog has had her stitches out and we are getting back to normal. She was so bored and fed up with no walks! Full recovery well on the way, so thanks so much for all the well wishes, everyone.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Morning /evening all !
    Some good advice there for Lily. Wise words, Bryla xx
    Lily you are absolutely right…the diet that works is one that you can sustain and low carb does work as you have seen. What threw you was the way you used food to cope after the row with your dad. So it happened . You recognised why you reacted like that and food was a perceived comfort. Follow up Luella’s recommendations…? And move on . …calmly . You don’t need to panic Lily. You are immensely knowledgeable about weight loss. You know what works .You lost 10 lbs in 10 days remember ?
    You recently posted this
    « When I’m in the zone I wonder how on earth I ever wind up back on carbs…. but know from experience that sometimes I literally self harm with sugary cr@p when stressed, angry or tired. So planning ahead is key for me to so that I’ve always got the right ingredients in the fridge and cupboards to knock myself up low carb comfort food if I need to. »

You know what to do Lily . Try to calm the conflict in your head about different weight loss programmes and focus on the most important factor in all this which is your heath and well being. I sense you are trying to rush things..it works for a while and then you get demotivated if progress slows.It’s not a race…you are making changes for the rest of your life. What is more important than making sure you are healthy and can enjoy a long , fulfilling life with your son ?
    I just don’t want you to give up ,Lily or you will find yourself going round in circles again.
    Tackling the stress and emotional eating is important.
    And who cares about the size 8 versus granny pants ? I love my bloomers !! 😉

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Lily, I wonder if you do any mindfulness exercises? As you’ve identified, mindset is hugely important and I find the short daily meditation I’ve established during lockdown, is now vitally important to my equilibrium.
    Only thing I can add is the old adage, ‘It doesn’t matter how often you fall, what counts is the number of times you get up.’

• posted by Luella
    on

Lovely post wendleg. Lily, the journey is a long one… I eat carbs too for a “hit” when I’m feeling emotional and the comfort you get from all that sugar and flour…. Stopping those carbs and maintaining your blood sugar does help but you have to kind of throw in the towel and accept that sugar is addictive for some people. You can kick the habit but it does take lots of support I’ve found. 10llbs loss sounds amazing!! I want that! I have 30 to go. Lock down led to lots of drinking alcohol which led to bad eating on hangovers which led to 10llbs gain. I’ve lost that now but hoping the 800 diet will give me a boost to losing the next stone and beyond!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Lily,
    I was in your shoes a few years ago. – Turning to food for comfort and I have lost count of the number of times I have fallen off the wagon. That’s one of the positives about this forum, you have people on hand to help you dust yourself off and climb back onto the wagon. It is hard at the start the gut bacteria which digest sugars are able to send signals to your brain encouraging you to feed them. If you are in the UK you will have seen the different TV adverts for toilet cleaners with ugly bacteria. I just picture the gut bacteria that digest sugar and are trying to get me to feed them as looking like those.

I think many of us started out just following the fast 800 for 8 weeks. I certainly did. I only moved on to looking at the research to work out what to do after the first 8 weeks because it had been the most successful way of loosing weight I had tried but I still had lots of blubber to discard but the fast 800 book only covers the initial 8 weeks.

I agree with the advice you have been given, its about a Way of Eating, for Life, not a diet. – Part of that process is finding other ways to release stress. -I found it helpful to think back to what I instinctively used to do when I was a child. I used to spend time disappearing for long walks with the dog, and I had a range of places I used to disappear to with a book so I could curl up in a space surrounded by greenery and disappear into a different world for a while.

Squidge, – you asked about the benefits of longer fasts. – There are two main benefits. – Part of the process of healing our bodies is returning our gut bacteria to a healthy mixture, the other is healing insulin resistance.
    Our gut bacteria adapts to our diets and the mixture of types of bacteria, the ph of our gut changes when we have been eating a high carb diet and yeast infections can occur in the gut in response to a high sugar diet. – Fasting is one technique for healing the gut but of course there are other techniques.
    Our bodies develop insulin resistance as a result of there constantly being insulin trying to encourage the body tissues to store glucose. Insulin rises in response to a meal and takes time to return down to normal. For those who are insulin resistant this takes many more hours than those who are insulin sensitive. – Fasting allows your body to spend more time with low insulin levels and so gives tissues time without a constant high level of insulin.
    However, Dr Fung is very open that one of the reasons he supports fasting is that his traditional client base near his clinic were people with limited budgets. Buying ingredients for a keto lifestyle was not practical for them. A program of just not eating was much simpler for them to follow.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Good to see tales of Wendleg’s bloomers making a comeback! Lily, if you look back over her posts you will see that they were a bit of a marker for Wendleg’s (incredible) discard, including the day they fell down in the middle of one of her classes…We were as excited as she was when she was planning a trip to M&S when back in the UK to buy new and smaller ones! Like others, I can completely relate to the falling off the wagon etc, because of stress or a myriad of reasons – but I also agree that it doesn’t mean that everything is lost, and you can get back on track. It is also very helpful to keep on the forum; for support and I find it is a way for me to acknowledge where I go wrong and feel “accountable” – it can be easier because we are anonymous.

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

Wendy, my dear, I don’t think I’m on your shout-out list. It must be because you keep me locked up so tight in your heart that it’s hard to share.

Lily, as a notorious quitter, I have no right to give advice, but I’ll just be shameless for a moment and say, “You can do it!” BSD changed the way I thought about food, made me realize I don’t have to eat as often or as much as I had been told, and helped me get to the smallest size in my adult life. I went from around 190 to mid-150s (lbs, sorry I’m American and it’s too early to use my brain to convert) in a matter of a few months. So you can be confident that sticking with it will lead to success. Of course, the only things I know about your situation is your post on this week’s forum, but maybe knowing a complete stranger has faith in you can help.

I am guilty of trying to drown myself in junk food during tough times. With ongoing marital issues, I’ve been killing myself from the inside out. After more than a year of overeating (I won’t say indulging as I was making myself sick by doing so), I have returned to the comfort and support of you lovely people. I’ve eaten my way back to over 200 so for now my only goal is 199 (which will still leave my beautiful wardrobe hanging uselessly in the closet, but don’t worry as I plan to soon rescue my swing dresses from a life of boredom and dust).

Yesterday I finally successfully ate only BSD foods and stayed around 800 calories. I’m trying OMAD once more because it’s easier from me to cook once and stay out of the kitchen, which will allow me to have 24-hour fasts throughout the week. The troubles with my husband continue, but for now we are trying to work things out in a more adult-like way. Yesterday, I was also able to do a little workout and I’m hoping to continue that trend and improve my sleep.

My goal for the week is to stick to heathy eating, daily check-ins, and making time for moderate activity.

• posted by Lily
    on

I don’t have time to write a longer reply right now but wanted to say a huge thank you for all the responses, reassurance, sympathy, plain-speaking—LOL, all of it.

I’m having one of those days where I’d just like a good tantrum, you know? I can’t because I’m a grown up and it’s not allowed! I know what to do but I don’t want to! [stomps foot, whines].

My coping strategy since being a child has been to eat. Some of my earliest memories involve going to the corner shop and buying sweets and biscuits with the small change my Dad always dropped on his bedroom floor. I don’t ever seem to have had healthy coping strategies like going for a walk (well, other than going to said shop 🙂 ).

I think I’ve been in denial. I wanted to believe I could stay moderately low carb but I almost certainly do need to go to less than 20g carb to get rid of the carb cravings, at least in the short term. Can’t win. Going without what I want to eat is deprivation. Staying this big is deprivation. Choose your deprivation, Lily. 🙁

I’m struggling to find the right motivation, that’s the trouble. I’m in a proper mid-life funk. Grown up son—who’s living at home for now but won’t be forever. Widowed and lonely. Struggling to enjoy my job. Struggling to feel good about myself, to get enough sleep, to feel better, to be optimistic for the future. Losing weight seems to be a big part of what could change for me, if I could just get past the obstacles I keep putting in my own way.

Hugs to all—will re-read your posts and see if I can re-group!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Lily, seems to me, you can’t see the wood for the trees right now, so how about focusing on just one tree? And rather than looking at the total weight you might need to lose, just look at the next meal for now. And once you feel you are ready, maybe set a small goal and that doesn’t even need to be scales related, it could just be your trousers doing up more easily and feeling more comfortable.

And as for motivation…. your motivation is that you deserve to be healthy and the best version of yourself. It’s time to put yourself first.

• posted by wendleg
    on

AMZ !!!! You definitely WERE on my shout out list so I don’t know why you got left out this time ?? You know I won’t let you stray far !
    Good to hear you sounding buoyed and focused. So glad also that you are trying to work things out with your husband. I wish you lived in France.You could come here to escape for a while ! Stay with us Amz.

For those who are struggling with carb cravings…let me tell you how it used to be with me. As you know I was a constant grazer, never feeling hungry but always able to scoff my meal….with one thought on my mind….the massive bar of Dairy Crunch waiting for me in the fridge. You know the stuff….it’s really chunky and fatty with crunchy biscuity bits. Well after a big meal I still had room for one of those. I used to buy a pack of three but they never lasted more than a couple of days.

As JGwen has said , carb cravings DO ease if you do everything you can to not give in to their insiduous callings. It takes time but it does happen….the cravings fade and you will reach for a lovely crunchy green lettuce and be happy, not in the least bit deprived because you are doing yourself good, not harm. You can make peace with food…I never thought I could but it happened.

Yes my bloomers are legendary as is the trauma I almost inflicted on a class of 12 year olds !! So yes I have my new M and S knickers which are still substantial but staying up !!!! 😉

• posted by Lily
    on

Am I ever going to use the word “lovely” next to “green lettuce”? Cos, well… 🤯 Really?? To me, green lettuce is many things but lovely isn’t one of them! If you didn’t like lettuce to start with because of the texture and the way it gets stuck in your teeth, does that happen??

I can see I’m going to have to search for “Wendleg bloomers” later. 🙂

Has anyone ever done the paid Fast800 course? Paid £99 for the 12 week course? I’ve been looking at it, wondering whether it would motivate me to keep going.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Lily you haven’t seen the many varieties of lettuce I get from the local farm 😉 They are quite splendiid and very lovely ! I gaze at them in awe 😉 They don’t get stuck in my teeth and the leaves are not floppy , just fresh and crunchy. Doing my best here Lily !!! 😉

I never buy biscuits, cakes or other sugary monstrosities but I would be bereft without my lettuce. I feel the same about all veg in fact ….now you think I am really weird !!

I haven’t tried the paid Fast800 course so can’t comment . I honestly think you have all the knowledge , Lily …and we are always here for motivation… If the paid program offers more personalised support then great …hopefully someone will let us know if that has been their experience
    Plain speaking here but here goes….do you really need to try yet another new program (albeit Fast800) when you have all the tools already. ? Myabe concentrate on what is holding you back and causing you to self sabotage. ….

• posted by Lily
    on

I like plain speaking… 🙂 And oh, what a good question. Such a good question.

*How* do I figure out what’s holding me back and causing me to self sabotage though? I can’t help but think that if I knew that, I wouldn’t be struggling!

PS, apologies all. I’m feeling really guilty for posting so much today! It’s just I’m sooooo frustrated and angry with myself.

• posted by Luella
    on

Hey Lily… this is why I suggested bright line eating. Look it up xxx 😘

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Lily. I feel for you. But beating yourself up will not help. We have all been there – and may be there again! So the following is not a sermon, but some suggestions that help me from time to time.

– Talk to yourself as if you were talking to your best friend. What would you say to her?
    – Don’t bring unhealthy food into the house – say “no” once in the supermarket. It is so much easier than having to say no all the time when it’s in the cupboard.
    – If cravings get really bad, promise yourself something in an hour’s time and go and do something nice – bubble bath, plant a window box, listen to a funny radio programme….. You might find that the moment passes.
    – And finally, don’t let one slip up multiply. Be kind to yourself. If you got a parking ticket, you wouldn’t say what the hell and get a speeding ticket too, would you? So put the slip behind you and move on.

If I dare say so, you sound a bit work and food focused with not much fun going on. Do you have any hobbies you enjoy? Learning a language? Playing bridge on the internet? Verano and I are puzzle fans, but it’s not for everyone. I’ve just discovered BBC Sounds, and am really enjoying past episodes of “I’m sorry I haven’t a clue”. Each to his/her own in corona times…. Good luck and stick with us. xx

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi Lily, don’t feel bad about off-loading here – that is what the forum is for!
    I couldn’t help noticing that you wrote earlier that you were struggling with enjoying work, getting enough sleep etc, and that you perhaps focus on weight loss to solve all your problems.
    Having lost weight before in life, my experience is that loosing weight may improve a lot of things but not everything. I remember the feeling of “why am I not happier now that I’m thin…”
    I don’t know your situation of course but perhaps focus on some other improvements in your life. Perhaps pick up a new (or old) hobby and get creative, could also be nice when your son moves out.
    Is a job change possible?
    Redecorate a room or whatever takes your fancy.
    Too much focus on all these different diets is exhausting! Just go for simple BSD800 for a bit and focus on something else.
    Hope you don’t mind me butting in 😉

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone, just quickly popping in to say that I’m still here, just very busy as my move out is in just 2 days! I can relate to Lily and anyone struggling at the moment. I am down to not much of any food in the house and trying to find low carb take aways has been a struggle. I ended up getting a few veggie dishes from our quite good local indian restaurant tonight so that will see me through a couple of days and made for a change from veggie burgers in lettuce wraps.

• posted by Lily
    on

Morning all

Well, after my tantrum yesterday, I’m back on board. I did register on the paid site. I’m honestly not sure that it was/is worth the money yet but I wanted to make a new commitment. So, will let you know. I’m not sure I’m big on recipes (at least, not the ones being suggested there!) but there’s some stuff that arrives around week 3 for mindfulness and info on HIIT—nothing that I couldn’t have found elsewhere I’m sure but it saves me having to hunt it down.

Feeling decidedly yuck today but got a full on day at work so will have to push on through it. Looking forward to maybe getting a better sleep tonight after making optimal food choices!

Thanks for listening to me yesterday and for all of the advice. Those of you who picked up on my lack of interests and hobbies were spot on but I really don’t know what to try. Just after my husband died I started learning Italian at an evening class but once it started getting hard (moved beyond conversation to grammar and conjugating verbs!) it was too much. Something to think about…

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Lily,

I completely get your tantrum, most of us have at least one during our journey.

I would suggest you need to spend some time working out a WHY. For some of us there has been an activity we love or a special trip we want to take which our weight prevents us from enjoying. – For some its been a special event they want to look good for. Maybe a reunion or a wedding where they want to look good in the photos. For some its reversing or preventing a health problem. For some its success at a sport. – Every one of us has a different WHY, but it has to be something that means more to you than any temptation provided by food. – It may not be easy to think about now, but perhaps if you think about what it would feel like when you were at the end of the life and looking back, what would you regret not achieving the most.

Then if its going to be a long journey to get to your target break it down into steps. – little mini targets, and work out a reward for yourself for achieveing them. It could be little awards, like when you are ready to move into a different dress size then make it a treat with a trip to a shopping center different to where you normally go. Or if you have something you want to upgrade, then link that to achieving a milestone on your journey. – For example I knew my car would not make it through its MOT and I didn’t enjoy driving it. So I set my 3 stone discard reward as the time to replace it. – I could then spend time researching options and going to car dealers to test drive different models to narrow down the make, model, age of vehicle I was going to buy each time I needed to cope with something.

Another thing I found is that intense exercise, like weight training is great if you are feeling wound up . There was one occasion where I walked into the gym spitting tacks having been dealing with a situation with work on the drive which would best be described like letting Laurel and Hardy loose with a digger. – Within 20 minutes I found that I could share, and laugh about it all with the partner I was working with on the circuit.

I know its difficult to get your head around at the start, but I promise there is a point where you will find your favourate BSD friendly food more appealing than something high carb. I was one of the people who had to walk through some sections of the supermarket focusing on the floor when I first started. (I have to say though that lettuce is not appealing on its own, – But a crisp lettuce used as a wrap for something attractive does work well). – There is also a point you will get to if you stick with it long enough where you will be feeling down and decide to have a carbie “treat” to cheer you up and it doesn’t have the effect on your mood that you expected. Its taken me a few years but I have reached that point.

Finally don’t be too hard on yourself each time you slip up. The food manufacturers have spent a lot of money discovering the science behind what makes us crave their products, and getting formulas designed to be addictive. When the tobacco companies started to realise the writing was on the wall, they started to invest heavily in the processed food industry. – They have created addictive products and you need to treat yourself as gently as you would someone who was trying to give up smoking.

• posted by wendleg
    on

What a brilliant post, JGwen ! I was hoping you would come and stress the WHY …
    How is everyone today ? Artcifox I have been thinking about you and your impending move.All the best and hope it goes well
    Julz how are you doing ? You’ve gone quiet ?
    Amz….hope you can capitalize on good , positive thoughts.We are here for you xx
    Where is my buddy Eclectic ?? Probably busy with the back to school rush/chaos ?
    I wish Rosyapple would check in too.I hate it when people go quiet

Lily , hope the online program helps with renewed motivation.

• posted by Squidge
    on

To Lilly, and anyone else who falls off the wagon, please try again. You had one bad day, maybe more than one, but that doesn’t mean you’ve failed. When I first started this WOE I found it very hard, and ‘cheated’ several times occasionally in spectacular fashion, but I tried again. Unlike any other diet I’ve ever come across, after about 3 weeks, this one actually gets easier. Our bodies take a little time to adjust to different fuel, and our brains take time to develop new habits, but once that’s happened, things greatly improve.

Planning meals in advance, and not buying any food you shouldn’t be eating, really helps. Instead of thinking of it as depriving yourself of biscuits (or whatever your weakness is) try to look forward to the meals you can have. Also try to avoid situations where you’d be tempted to eat foods not on your plan, at least during the first few weeks. You’re not being fair to yourself if you constantly put temptation in your way.

• posted by Lecurie
    on

Hi all
    I’ve struggled this week and last and really feel fed up about it. I’m craving carbs and have little or no inclination to do anything except sleep a lot. Despite rejoining the gym and going each day (and really feeling invigorated again) I just feel like I don’t want to do anything. I am sorry this is such a miserable post! I am hoping after the late August Bank Holiday here in the UK I can get back on track so Wendleg, thank you for including me on the list and please keep me on for future weeks.
    Good luck to everyone starting this WOL and well done to all who have had great success, I’m hopeful I’ll be able to post a positive update in the coming weeks and again, I’m sorry for the miserable post! I have anaemia and wonder if my energy levels have dropped recently because my b12 levels have dipped. I’ve done a few self injections so hopefully I’ll be back to feeling more positive and energised soon.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    Squidge, I’m a serial wagon faller offerer..but this last week I’ve been very good..not weighing every day has eased the self sabotaging.
    I’m just going on the feel of my clothes at the minute and they seem to be feeling looser, win there👍.
    I made some truely scrumptious tuna patties, I made some a couple of weeks ago and they were a bit too dry and stodgy… I’d followed a keto recipe I found somewhere..
    anyway I decided to do my own using cauliflower and broccoli mash instead of using the almond flour..very moreish..if anyone is interested I used a 425g tin tuna drained..added a tablespoon of Thai red curry, a tablespoon of garlic, 2 finely chopped chilli’s ( we love hot and spicy) so adjust it to your taste..a finely chopped onion, and 2 eggs. I added some horseradish and a tablespoon of dijonaisse but I’m guessing if you don’t like them leave them out. I steamed half a head of cauliflower and a couple of floweretts of broccoli..while the steamed cauliflower was cooling I mixed the other ingredients together then mashed the cauliflower and broccoli and mixed it in. I left them in the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up a bit.
    I fried them but I think baking in the oven could be done too.
    That recipe made 11 decent size patties.
    Stay safe, happy and healthy 😊🖐️

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Thursday already, where do the weeks go. We have been busy sifting through applications from house sitters. We had a WhatsAp chat with a couple from Spain and were worried about their level of English as we fell foul of an Argentine couple who were great with emails but when we met them they spoke little to no English. Not a racist thing, just difficult to tell them things about the house, cats and garden. Anyway the young man we spoke to had very good English although his wife spoke none, I think she understood but was a bit shy of speaking. That is Christmas sorted as long as things dont shut down again. (Just heard Spain is hoping to have the Oxford vaccine for mid December).
    Usually weekday progress on the plan but that means I have to be super strong over the weekend. It is hard when you have nothing to look forward to but I will be seeing the doctor in about 2-3 weeks, mid September.
    We have been asked to attend a funeral tomorrow – sadly our elderly neighbour was diagnosed with cancer just after lockdown and is now gone. I dont want to be disrespectful but I am too afraid to go. Dont know how many people will be there and we are invited for drinks after which means removing masks. I am just sending a card with our condolences and apologies and we have contributed to some flowers. You cant really complain about this crappy situation when you look at what other people are going through, another neighbour has just been diagnosed with cancer and she is only 56.
    Stay well everyone and take care of yourselves and your loved ones.

• posted by EclecticRajistani
    on

Indeed where has the time gone and sunshine for us. Although can’t complain as in doors contemplating a cuppa. I read through previous posts im sorry its been tough for some and falling off the wagon. Let’s keep on keeping on. I have been lost another 1lb takes me to 11lbs weight loss in 4 weeks, so officially in 13stone zone! Still a way to go but gonna keep at it. Have my first Tel coaching session on fri from the at risk diabetes prevention programme, so looking forward to that.

Communication is always fraught and yes Language barrier makes it difficult and challenging. Hopefully you are all organised now.

These deaths are so sad and some folks definitely having a hard time so makes you count your blessings.(sunshine girl I would be the same with funerals, weddings etc. I was invited to my folks for Eid and way too many people no social distancing overnight sleeps even, it was a big fat NO from me!) mean you can’t vent stress etc here, it’s all relative. And we are all challenging ourselves which can be tough. Ive definitely had slip ups this week but I haven’t allowed it to derail me which is what I did last time my first attempt at BSD. Im mostly BSD as a WOE, so not going to beat myself up!

Children all in camp, so I’ve had a week of planning and preparing for the new academic year. Its been quite nice working in peace and quiet 🤫

I hope all are well wherever you are! So busy so haven’t been able to post but still checking in on your posts. All together ❤ now BSD 👪 we got this!!!

on

Eclectic, my husband has just been to deliver a card of condolences and there are about 20 cars in their driveway. Definitely not for us, and all outbreaks of Covid in our region have been following funerals where the numbers were followed at the ceremony (15 max) with about 60 people going back to the house. All of our neighbours have been invited so that is already around 20 people if we all turned up.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Eclectic ! You are rocking BSD , well done my friend !!! That’s a birlliant result in the 4 weeks Don’t you dare leave us again 🙂

Sunshine girl I fully understand your reticence .I would be exactly the same.This is no time for risk taking and your contribution will be recognized by the family I am sure. I don’t think you would allow yourself to be pressurized.
    By the way we have booked a few days away …visiting Sarlat and then heading to Bergerac …stopping at Monpazier and Issigéac for the markets. B and B and then a gite…both with pools .Hopefully mid September will still be fine. My first September break !
    Well done Waitaminute…great to see you are having a good week and you know JGwen would always say not to weigh too often 😉

Lecurie , don’t worry I never remove people from the list of contributors.I just keep adding to it and always hoping people will return if they have gone quiet.I hope you feel better soon.You sound very demotivated right now.So sorry you are struggling. I want to say the carbs will deplete your energy if you give in to them so make sure you have plenty of protein. What do you mean when you say you don’t feel like doing anything when you are going to the gym every day ? That seems a big achievement to me . By all means start again after the August bank holiday but please check in when you feel you can.
    Articfox …tomorrow is THE day ! Hope the move goes well . You are going to be so busy there but it’s all good. You will be on your lovely farm property finally .
    Good advice there Squidge and loving the recipes too. I have been trying to vary my meals and find a few more interesting recipes rather than my usual stand bys
    Lily how are you ?
    Amz …let us know how you’re doing
    I hope anyone struggling right now can find the motivaton to pop in so we can give you a bit of support.
    Keep going …it really is worth it

on

Hi Wendleg, there are now about 30 cars arrived. Family have come from as far as Belgium and Germany and lots in between. I am now sure I have done the right thing. By the way, on your trip around Monpazier and Issisgeac and then on to Bergerac you will be passing by or passing through our village. Look out for Le Fleix, blink and you will miss it.

• posted by Gooner
    on

Hi all

I’m new here and have been lurking for a couple of weeks. I’ve got the BSD books and am gearing up to get started.
    I was given the news last July that my sugar level is 42 and that puts me in the pre-diabetic range. I’ve just had a Hbca1 test done today at hospital and received text from my Dr this evening to tell me “the results are similar to last year and here is a leaflet for you to read about pre-diabetes”. I was kind of shocked by the poor service by my GP but trying to stay focused on the end goal of climbing out of the pre-diabetic range. Last year they gave me zero support and simply said “you are still young (39) and can turn it around”. No help or advice on how to turn it around and I had to look into everything myself but oh well it’s for my own good so won’t waste time moaning about GP.
    I’m hoping to get going this weekend and properly by Monday. I did do a few lower calorie days within the last couple of weeks to get myself in the flow and see how I coped.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Welcome Gooner ! Well done for taking the plunge and joining us ! You’re on the list now ! You definitely can control and reverse your pre diabetes diagnosis and it’s sad your GP has not offered adequate support.
    There are lots of people on the forum who can help with more specific advice about diabetes. I can just give you a few starter tips .
    Here goes

I assume you have had time to read the Fast 800 book so you understand the basic principles ? It means a radical shift in thinking . It’ s important for the first 8 weeks to keep calories low ( 800) and that means planning meals to include protein , leafy green veg , healthy fats ( avocado, olive oil, nuts and seeds, Greek yoghurt are Ok ) and avoiding high carb foods ( bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and other starchy veg ) You can keep things simple by avoiding all processed foods and anything low cal or low fat which is often full of sugar or chemical sugar substitutes.
    The Fast 800 book does offer some recipe ideas ( be wary of calories which can be way off) but if you eat breakfast think in terms of eggs and some protein. Do you need to take lunch to work with you ?
    What time do you eat your evening meal ? Again, protein and green salad or leafy veg is the way to go.

When I first started out ( in September 2018) I recorded everything in a notebook from The Works (UK) and I liked having a sort of diary of my progress.I also included my measurements starting out, any recipes I gleaned and also videos and books which were recommended.
    Understanding the role of insulin and keeping blood sugars stable is vital and I found Jason Fung’s The Obesity Code explained this clearly . My reading led me to a serious aversion to processed junk and the demon sugar !
    I am a bit all or nothing so I never tried any low carb substitutes for bread etc although cauliflower rice is a big favourite ! Try to eat natural, whole foods. It’ s important to be aware that you will probably go through a form of carb withdrawal as you start out which can mean headaches, fatigue and brain fog in the early days but it wll pass . Make sure you drink lots of water, herbal tea, black coffee etc to stay hydrated.On the positive side you will feel energised and so much better and it is common to lose 10% of your body weight in the first 8 weeks.
    You can also track your progress on an app. Lots of people use My Fitness Pal or Carb Manager. Find something that works for you.
    We always recommend the Diet Doctor website which is a great resource for recipe, meal plans, videos and very useful articles.
    That’s just for starters but feel free to ask any questions you may have. Our experiences are all different but we are all converts to this low carb programme and relief from years of yo yo dieting !
    The prize is increased energy and health !

Maybe start by planning your meals for the week and clearing your cupboard s of any ‘junk’ . You could use the weekend to organise your shopping and meal plans . Don’t think in terms of “being on a diet’ and being deprived of carby , sugary foods. They will eventually become less appealing. Think in terms of finding a sustainable way of eating which will do wonders for your health, Gooner. You are young , you indeed have time to manage the pre diabetes and it will be so worth it for your long term wellbeing.
    Just shout out if you have any queries. Go for it !! All the very best

• posted by Gooner
    on

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice Wendleg!

I will definitely try and start off with all this in mind.

• posted by Justjudy
    on

Hi everyone! I want to join and start following Dr. Mosley’s blood sugar diet and or the 52 diet. Sugar and starches are my big downfall I know that but I am so addicted to them. I hope to read some great success stories from all of you and to offer support whenever I can.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Justjudy and welcome !
    I just posted a message to Gooner and hopefully you will find the tips helpful too as you start out
    All the best to you too ! (and you are also on the list now !)
    Wendy x

• posted by Gooner
    on

Is it worth me getting a machine to check my blood sugars each day as type 2 diabetics would? As mentioned earlier, I’ve just had hbca1 done today.
    Thx

on

Hi everyone, still here and doing well. Didn’t go to the funeral today and judging by the number of cars the numbers for gatherings was probably exceeded.
    Hi Gooner, just to answer your question about getting a blood sugar machine – I would suggest not to. The readings would mean very little except to tell you that you have eaten or not eaten. As you cant do your testing under controlled conditions and be able to have control over any results they are a waste of time and will only cause you stress and confusion. You will forever thinking, oh my why is is so high when I haven’t even had breakfast yet, as you wont understand some of the bodies ways of working, then you will be getting panicky when it goes low. I do it daily because I am T2 and on insulin and need to know my numbers so I can adjust my medication and it is not a pleasant thing to do. As I have said to people before a) it hurts, b) it is a possible site for infection, c) you can lose the feeling in your fingertips if not done right and, d) the results wont mean anything and will not be reliable. I am sure your doctor will have you scheduled for a further HbA1c in a few months – if not then ask him to. If you want to see how you are doing start by taking some body measurements i.e. chest, waist, stomach and hips. When the scales dont move you can use this for what we call nsv (non-scale victories). All the advice Wendleg has already given you might be enough to be going on with as there is a lot to take in. If you want to know more about testing or your doctors non supportive response I will get back to you when it is not my bedtime. For now, night night.

• posted by Gooner
    on

Thx for the advice Sunshine-girl. I’m going to stick with that and not bother doing any testing myself. Taking measurements is a good idea. Time to get stocked up on healthy foods for the coming week.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Just wanting t wish WindyJulz a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!
    Hope you’re ok Julz…you’ve gone quiet this week . Have a lovely day and pop in to say h if you happen to read this xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.