ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning August 18th 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sorry folks, I am late this week. It’s the time of year when visitors arrive ( yes, two couples still decided to come ) and it’s been a bit busy but I would never let you down.
    A lot of uncertainty, sadness, disappointment is being voiced but I totally agree with Squidge. There are only certain things we can control, and we just have to take care of ourselves while hoping the situation improves to the point we can travel and see friends and family with confidence….although it is difficult accepting it will take time .

We are here again for another week to help each other through however w eare feeling
    Feel free to join us, rejoin us, vent, celebrate, whatever !
    Wendy and SunnyB

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here as always is the updated list of contributors.I hope I haven’t missed anyone out !

SunnyB
    Merrymelba
    Niamh and Dean ( Neegan)
    EC
    Caronl
    Clarinet cathy
    Bryla
    Windyjulz
    Georgiejeorge
    Olive 1
    Puddy
    Dreamscometrue
    Gattina
    melH
    rosyapple
    LovesGroodles

timetochange
    Patricia
    Articfox
    Double Dutch
    PTR
    Britta
    Film24
    Rebeccakershaw
    JGwen (of course !!)

PlumpGoose
    Russianroulade
    DebbieDarko
    weebleswobble
    nicoles212
    Steviep
    Zuzuvela
    Frog
    GreenGal
    EachPeach
    SusieMac1957
    Limes254
    Butterlover
    PhoenixBurns
    Quetzal
    Waitaminute
    Riccoh
    Tulip1 (Clare)
    ADD6605(Dawn)
    Gyllb
    EllieAllegra

Roheryn
    AuroraB
    Sweetgirl
    BlueSkyz
    Karenwm
    SusieMac1957
    Jeremy Fisher
    ClemFlo
    LR800
    Eowyn
    Kevlondon and Mrs Kev
    Scubado
    Lulu16
    Shammy
    sunshine-girl !!!
    Beattie66
    2eviltwins
    Violinist ( Catherine)
    Sarah 1968
    Angelsand
    Lecurie
    Choccybuttons
    Sonz
    AnnieW
    Sixturkeys
    Urchin
    Delabodge( Clive)
    Calliope Swan
    O2BSkinny
    Ghudugi
    PSL68
    EclecticRajistani !!!
    Lily
    Luella
    Mumof4in France
    GardeningChef
    Gill33UK

• posted by SunnyB
    on

The recent covid developments have unsettled many of us, just when we thought life was beginning to move back to something more like normal. Accepting that this is probably going to be the new normal for awhile yet is not an easy ask, especially when plans are disrupted and have to be put on hold yet again, with no indication for how long.
    This quote came to mind ….
    “Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. The art of being wise, is the art of knowing what to overlook.”
    William James (1842-1910)

Wishing you all a good week with plenty of positives and great BSD results.

• posted by EllieAllegra
    on

Hi all – great quote Sunny. I’m plodding along. Feeling a bit low and emotional today for some reason and am struggling with very low energy. Still, lost a bit more weight (17lbs in total now) and my skin seems to be clearer.
    Anyway, just wanted to pop on and wish everyone well x

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

I’m in for the week. And I may well need some support as I am travelling to Norway for work…… at the moment this is doable without quarantine, but it looks like it will change on Friday so instead of going on Monday I am going on Thursday… so it will be a 6 day trip which i find a little stressful as I’m abandoning husband with horses (well actually I’m getting him some help in but still). Work wise we have a load of provisions in place for covid management during the travel (I’m the health and safety person so i know its done well) but its still a little stressful Food wise….. well I plan to stay on track, I have been before i know the options……and think it is doable.

Anyhoo, I’m chipping away carefully, i do struggle to be hard and fast on the 800 calories still, but i just want and eat all the good stuff with the only ‘treat’ or ‘bad’ stuff being occasional apples or a few raisins. Keeping up with some decent exercise too which is nice.

What a lovely long list of contributors we have – thanks Wendy, amazing to be able to roll call them all!
    Have a good week kind people, whatever may be thrown at you!

I have a lovely pot of leek and cauliflower soup on the go and I’m looking forward to that after riding my wee horse.

Julz

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all, I’m in for the week.
    Last week was a bit weird, going back to work was not what my body wanted 😊. I felt bloated, constipated and hungry all the time. Think it is the change from constantly moving around during the holiday to sitting at a desk all day. And the hot weather means bad sleep for me.
    So even though I made an effort with the food there was no loss.
    This week already feels better on almost all accounts, so am hoping to see some weight loss during the week. It may all be ruined in the weekend as it’s time for the yearly crayfish party (a must for us Swedes) that we plan to have in a Covid- safe way.
    Although crayfish is not a problem foodwise, the accompanying bread extras are, not least the ones you drink…
    But to me it is worth planning for some good times with a few friends, and I will try to stay within reasonable limits.
    Have a great week. Enjoy Norway WindyJulz!

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

Hello. My goal for the week is to check in daily and do my best, which is rather vague.
    I’m still struggling with issues with my husband and that really drains me, but I want to make some positive changes in my life and I know contributing to the discussions here is the first step.
    I am about 216 lbs. I’m am trying to adjust my diet back to BSD friendly meals and portion sizes. I also invested in a cheap manual elevated treadmill to encourage me to walk despite being stuck in the house. I’ve also been working raising my self esteem. This is the heaviest I’ve been since 2013 so I am very unhappy, but I just need to stay positive and actively seeking better health to succeed.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi everyone!
    Wendleg, I can’t see me on your list. You mentioned me in your post though, so I know you’re not ignoring me. πŸ˜‰

My aim is to lose 2lb this week. It’s not a lot, but I lost that amount last week and I’m feeling much healthier and more energetic, so feel I must be doing something right.

Amz, I’m sorry for your problems and the low self esteem. I think you should feel proud of yourself for taking steps to improve your health, despite having other issues to deal with.

• posted by EclecticRajistani
    on

Hi all,

Love that quote SunnyB! I’m struggling and getting frustrated as scale hasn’t moved but keep reminding myself that my clothes are getting looser. But I have had at least two days over 2 weeks where my carbs have been more like 50-70g and calories 1000cal and yes I’m beating myself up but truth be told I’m getting anxious again. I’m returning to teaching so time to plan and prepare for the year ahead. I went in yesterday to tutor and loved being with my students, I’m in Thursday and thankfully results day and signing up students will be made easier with the UK government doing a U turn! But anxiety, negative thoughts are starting to have too much space in my head.

Hi Amz, I am 199 pounds so I can empathise. At my heaviest I was about 215 so I can relate. I’m sorry to hear that you’re having difficulties. I hope you can access some emotional support. I’ve said in a previous post how my emotions impact my eating. Getting to the root of your low self esteem would be helpful for you to explore. I know there is no one cause. Being bigger definitely impacts your self esteem but I know that even when I was skinny I had low self esteem. I was grateful that I had a load of therapy in my 20s 30s which definitely helped. Not sure if its possible but try to access support from friends, family and doctors. Looking after your mental health will help with getting physically healthy. It’s definitely tough but with this group, support, exploring issues you can do this. Just be gentle and sounds like you are taking some positive steps. Im still to embarrassed to go back on my cycle 🚲. I find just trying my best to keep to 20g low carb 800 BSD plus living life with three children, working enough to contend with!

Julz, hope work is not too stressful, safe travels and I get the struggling with fast 800 but sounds like you are mostly on it! Keep at it I’ll be doing the same!

Olive enjoy your cultural day and hopefully you can make some bsd choices or balance out the rest of the week. Its a struggle these get together! Let’s us know how you get on.

Positive news I signed up to government scheme for those at risk of diabetes (part of the drive to deal with obesity) and they just got in touch. So it means I’ll have access to a coach on zoom with other folks like me. They sent a Facebook link and guess what all of the recipes are low carb ones. So I know doing BSD is the right path. I just want fast results somehow dont think I will achieve the 1stone in 21 days as MM programme, but I’m not giving up, marathon right not a sprint. Talking of social media, I was scrolling on Instagram even though I have deleted the app from my phone and urgh its so triggering. So deleted it again and its just making my anxiety and body issues worse. Apologies for the mostly negative tone of my message.

Squidge and Wendy thank you for the thread and the shout out!!! Squidge I would love to lose some weight too! Heres to a good week! Wendy hope you enjoyed having people over. New normal! Definitely need some of your wisdom and well πŸ™

Have a lovely Tuesday morning and I hope to log in again tomorrow πŸ₯°

• posted by wendleg
    on

So sorry Squidge !!! I honestly thought you were one of our regulars ! NO, I would never ignore you !!! I also forgot No more banquets and
    weightykaty. Apologies both ! Please check in !

I hope you manage to connect to the thread while you are away, Julz. Of course we will support you.
    I hope the trip goes well. I know it’s easier said than done but try not to worry .

Yes, I agree Olive..it is important to incorporate moments of pleasure…enjoy the crayfish ! Can you not eat them with a lush , crunchy salad leaf ? πŸ˜‰

Oh Amz I really feel for you . I have said this before but try to put yourself first for a change. You can break that vicious cycle, but begin by believing in yourself. You are not defined by another person’s view of you.The weight discard won’t necessarily bring you happiness ….but it will do wonders for your self esteem and that is a major start . Plan ahead for the week, Amz but don’t be too hard on yourself… You are dealing with a lot and remember you can always reach out to us when you are struggling. I wish you were closer ….I would seek you out and give you a massive hug. Think of this thread as representing just that …one enormous circle of support.

Eclectic..you are pretty hard on yourself too and yet I remember your determination and great success. Try not to be anxious. The prospect of a new school year is always a source of stress , even more so in the present circumstances. You are juggling so much !! I don’t know if this would work for you but my working days were always an opportunity to do OMAD ( one meal a day ) or an occasional fast day and those fasting times certainly boosted my energy levels Try to banish those negative thoughts, you can do this Eclectic !!! Maybe think lasting ,long term rather than fast results to take the pressure off a bit ?

Sunshine girl I hope you have a good week and I am so sorry about the recent disappointments and sadness. I am resigned not to be able to travel with hubby despite having fewer commitments.. Free but constrained !. No chance of seeing my family in the Uk for some time either and I dare not even think when I will get to see my boys next. They can’t even travel to see each other. Whataspp is my life line…I can at least see and chat to them and I take heart knowing they are well ….the opposite would be unthinkable . Even though after 30 years living and working in France I could never imagine returning to the Uk permanently, I know it is not easy when you are missing family so much and we have friends here who have made the decision to move back for those and other health concerns. You have to go with your gut feeling…your happiness and well being are paramount .Would you still want to return to the Uk if travel was unrestricted ? You are doing the right thing ….taking time to reflect and plan ….it will all work out SG.

Still worried about Rosyapple ………………..
    Articfox….10 days to go before your move ! I hope it’s all going to plan.
    Please check in everyone..we are stronger together !!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Oh my gosh, Wendy. When you say only 10 days it sounds like it’s really getting close! My place looks in to be in complete disarray at the moment, but in reality it is probably about 80% packed up and it is just the kitchen, bathroom and a few odds and ends that I need to live that I can’t pack yet that are still out. The rest is in boxes that haven’t been closed quite yet.
    I am complicating my life by potentially buying a pony this week to keep my horse company. I will meet him tomorrow evening. If I do buy him he will go to the livery yard where my horse is currently staying until I can get my fences sorted at my new place.
    In the ongoing shorts saga – I think I might be making a slight bit of progress? Either that or they are just very stretched out now, but definitely fitting a tiny bit looser regardless. I will put them in the wash and see how they fit then. My experiments with higher protein, less fruit might be slowly paying off too. I think I have a bit more definition in my arm muscles. Progress is very slow doing it this way so it can be quite hard to tell. I have already packed up my scales, so that put paid to any temptation to weigh myself.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone,I haven’t been able to stay consistent with calorie counts but I have been doing 2 meals a day.I lost a kilo but regained most of it and on the way to loosing it again.Over all I’m feeling positive.Tomorrow I’m going away for a couple of days to stay with an old friend.I was able to get a free pensioner train ticket ..Im quite excited to do something different and get out of my rut.I plan to take my food for the train and to keep to the low carb principles but there will be wine.Hopefully ,we will be doing a lot of walking.I wish you all a good week .Try to find NSV where ever you can.they usually lead pto success.

• posted by Jeremy Fisher
    on

Week 10 update
    Lost a further 2lbs this week. Finding it harder again and averaged about 1300 cals per day – low carb. Again had one day off too with lots of carbs. Ran 5 days – running not great though. That’s a total loss of 17.5lbs. One more week before I take another 2-week break. I find it very useful having these breaks planned – as it helps me keep going.
    β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
    Progress log:
    Week 1: Lost 8lb. 800 cals. TRE. Great results, but a tough week with β€˜carb flu’ and horrendous running that turned into walks.
    Week 2: Lost 2lb (net loss = 10lbs). 1150cals, low carb, and no longer TRE to make life easier. Running a little better but still some walking needed.
    Week 3 Lost 2.5lb (net loss 12.5lbs). No need to walk in runs this week – more back to normal.
    Week 4: No weight loss (or gain), but 1/2 inch off my waist. Daily calories were over my 1150 target most days. Carbs were still low. I’ve decided to take a break for 2 weeks to get my determination back. Running much better since being back on carbs.
    Week 5: Gain 2lbs (net loss 10lbs). Back to normal eating this week (but trying not to overdo it!!) as part of a 2-week break.
    Week 6: Gain 3lbs (net loss 8lbs). Eating normally.
    Week 7: No change (net loss 8lbs). Eating normally. The break turned into 3 weeks!
    Week 8: Lost 6lbs (net loss 14 lbs). 1150 cals per day. Back to it for another 4 week stint. Awful β€˜carb flu’ again this week. One problem with cycling on an off the diet for me.
    Week 9: Lost 1.5lbs (net loss 15.5lb). 1150cals per day and one day off eating plenty of carbs!

on

Love the quote SunnyB

It made me wonder…. What can’t I change that I need to accept?
    – My current weight
    – How my body reacts to low carb in the short term (carb flu and poor running)
    – My past failures to stay at my target weight
    – Desires to eat more or unhealthy food (although eating low carb does help that a lot – so I can perhaps control that somewhat)
    – What others around say and do
    – Exactly how much weight I’ve lost in a particular day or week

What can I change?
    – What I put in my mouth – I don’t need to react to my desires to eat more or differently – that is my choice.
    – How much I exercise
    – My self-talk – what I say to myself about food, hunger etc (I need to keep being positive)
    – Keeping posting on here and reading other’s posts to keep me motivated (thanks everyone – I do find it really useful hearing how you are getting on)

on

And, as I finished that post I looked outside ready to go for my run to realise it’s tipping down with rain. Something else I can’t control that I need to accept!!

I can control whether I run anyway (and just get wet), but I’ll just take today off and run every other day this week when the weather is nicer and still achieve my 5 day a week goal.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Eclectic, it’s good news that you’re able to access help re the diabetes, especially as it suggests low carb. For a while official advice was conflicting, with may medical professionals saying low carb worked, but people being told to do low fat diets. As we’re seeing, they only work short term – and we want to be healthy and a sensible weight for life.

Jeremy, can you exercise indoors? Maybe a Youtube class, or do a HIIT program?

Raining here too. I’m pleased for the garden, but not from an exercise point of view. We’re getting a new DVD player today, so I’ll be able to use my fitness DVDs again. I have some Rosemary Connolly ones that I used to do quite often, until about a year ago. Looking forward to trying them again.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi Everyone,pleased I’m not weighing myself this week as have lost the plot somewhat.Haven’t been using MFP and I think that hasn’t helped.Feeling pretty rough today and know best way to feel better will be to take control again.Hope everyone has a good day.Dawn

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

I’m with you ADD6605, I didnt have a great day yesterday and I KNOW that the way to feel good again is to take control……. so lets set things right today?! I wont see scales until a week on Friday – which is the day before my birthday so I’m really really keen to see 11st or even 10st13 by then – thing dreams and birthdays are made of!

So to get going and back on track, I’m going for a good clean fast til late lunch which will be leek and cauliflower soup, and then halloumi and chorizo salad for dinner…..NO SNAX! Also planning a wee run at lunchtime…..just a cheeky 3km which i can do, then walk 1km as a cool down and be back in less than 30 mins.
    Then i need to work out Norway packing! Which will include trainers and leggings for some exercise!

Lets make Wednesday count!

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thanks for the support WindyJulz,it’s just what I need at the minute I think.I will fast til 1 o’clock then have a big tuna salad for lunch.I haven’t walked the dog for months (before lockdown I did it most days) my husband’s been doing it,so will try to make this the first day of getting back into that routine.He’s been working from home since March but has recently been back to work most days and my daughter is back to school in 2 weeks time so I really need to pull myself together a bit and get some sort of routine in place again before then,starting today! Dawn

• posted by JGwen
    on

I had a good day yesterday, I helped move 3 hives for the bee keeping association and realised that my bee keeping suit is fitting better. – Not as tight on the thighs. – I have to have a male beesuit, because the female ones are simply not broad enough on the shoulders or long enough in the body for me, but then I run into the male hip and leg sizes v my chunky female version.

I realised yesterday that someone is making a chainsaw trousers for women. πŸ™‚ They are about Β£100 more than the male version and have pink bits πŸ™ really, in this day and age, manufacturers think what will sell is girly colours even on chainsaw trousers. But I would really prefer to keep both my legs is anything goes wrong when hedge laying.

I share other peoples concerns about being able to meet up with friends and families. But from the other side of the coin, my income comes from a holiday let designed for extended family and groups of friends to have a reunion. – Its a bit of a minefield at present. Currently the Welsh Government has just announced that 4 households can form one extended household, and can therefore book self catering accommodation together. – But once they form an extended household they can’t switch and meet up with other households indoors. – Great in theory, but holiday home owners are the ones prosecuted if they allow people to book their holiday home and then don’t comply with the rules. even if they have come from England where the rules are different. !!!!!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Jeremy, one of your ‘can change’ items really popped out and is one I think many need to consider ….. ‘My self-talk – what I say to myself about food, hunger etc (I need to keep being positive)’

Often we are our own worst critics and are much harsher to ourselves than we would be to others. Too frequently we get caught in a cycle of negative self-talk, which leads to us feeling bad and then self-loathing results. It’s counter productive, as the next step is ‘I’m not worth the effort, I’m a failure’ and then we give up on ourselves, so we HAVE to break out of that cycle.
    We need to allow ourselves to be human, to slip-up occasionally, to not be perfect. We need to believe we deserve to be the best version of ourselves, fit and healthy and that means adjusting our self-talk. Our self-talk should parallel that which we would offer to others … we are just as worthy as anyone else …. and that includes you too.

on

Good morning all,
    Well done Jeremy on your progress and you have a system that works. I liked the way you literally applied the quote to BSD journey, I can empathise with a few of those! Once upon a time I was a runner and loved it. Who knows I may one day take it up again, you sound like you love it so keep at it! I just feel so big and I know exercise will help with this but I need to sort out what I consume and how I feel about my body. Indoor exercise ideas πŸ’‘ may help with all this 🌧 Do you strength πŸ’ͺ train? That might be a good one to do indoors. That’s what I’m planning to do before I have the confidence to go out and exercise.

Safe trip to πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄ Dawn. And I’m on the same countdown before term starts! Julz, a birthday goal sounds like a plan. Halloumi and chorizo salad πŸ₯— πŸ˜‹. Soft goats cheese, feta are my fav.
    You all sound so motivated! So taking these positive vibes and pushing myself on mid-week. Good luck with all your individual journeys, together we part of this BSD journey.

Thanks squidge, yes your right about low carb history but the health profession is accepting it more. Although NHS line still doesn’t recommend low carb officially. My dad and most of his family has diabetes and I’m at risk and the pandemic bought out the worse and now best when it comes to eating! Im thankful to be accepted on the programme and I’m looking forward to some coaching! How’s your week going?

Wendy, I have pretty much been doing the OMAD. As I have never really liked breakfast years of being told I must eat 3 Square meals well with BSD I don’t feel so weird for not wanting to eat it and i don’t miss it. My evening meal and last decaf β˜• or BSD dessert (1 square of dark chocolate) is sometimes 7.30-9.30pm. And I don’t have a bullet coffee x 2 till earliest 1pm or 2.30 and a few times even lasted till 4.30pm for that coffee so I’m fasting for 16 hours at least. And I reckon at work I will be able to do this easily! As you know the school day is pretty busy and fast. Although I will have a BSD lunch at school or light snack as 4pm I would feel v hungry in the car journey home and I would make a stop at the supermarket on the way to car park for a πŸ₯ͺ & lite crisps πŸ™ˆ , so forward planning will be the key for me!

Weds am is my official start of BSD week and i have weighed myself this am and lost a further 2lbs πŸ˜… still have a way to go and think I need to stick to weighing myself less daily and maybe just weekly! Scale numbers can be a curse and blessing. But clothes have definitely felt lighter.

Apologies for the long post but it helps! And what really helps is you all sharing your journeys! Those of you are πŸ“š them but not posting, or may be like me you fell off the wagon and I also didn’t have the confidenceto even post, join in if you can, appreciate time is an issue for some. I am posting highs, meh middling and low days. This forum will be the key to my BSD journey success!

Happy BSD folks. Stay safe, well and enjoy
    πŸ’œπŸ§˜β€β™€οΈ

on

We were all tapping away at the same time!

JGwen,
    Bee keeping outfit sounds πŸ‘Œ I can’t believe they still sell things that are Β£100 more because its for a woman and as for the girly colours, don’t get me started. My two girls have issues with that when we go shopping. Why those colours? And why do boys stuff same equivalent cost less πŸ™ˆ

I do feel for all those impacted in the leisure and holiday industry. Wales is on my travel list but these rules make it a minefield. We opted to stay in Central London for a mini break as my husband is NHS and I’m a teacher so we can’t afford to be quarantining for 14 days. I hope you get some bookings and that the guidelines are eased soon. My friend was planning a last minute trip to Wales with just her family. Please share your holiday let business if your allowed or want to here or message and I can pass it on.

SunnyB, yes the self talk is so important! Be kind to yourself is a phrase my friend always says. And you are so right we would never speak to others in the harsh way our inner critics does. So on that note
    Be gentle and Be kind to yourselves πŸ₯°

• posted by Britta
    on

Hello all
    I’m back after my holidays, ready to get back into the swing of things after 17 days of camping and hotels in Denmark and Germany. Weather was amazing and I was grateful to have lost enough weight beforehand to actually buy and put on a bikini as it was too hot for my frumpy hide-it-all swimsuit!
    Dietwise things went somewhat haywire in terms of carbs, but I did quite well in terms of portion control so I don’t think the damage is too great. I’ll give it a couple of days of 800 calories before I weight myself!
    So now that I’m back in the UK and the temperatuer has dropped 10 degrees compared to the last 2 weeks (!) I’m washing clothes and doing menu planning and shopping lists.
    Hope you’re all doing ok, I haven’t managed to read back on the threads yet.

• posted by Humphrey1
    on

Hi everyone. Since you’re such a positive group I thought you might have some suggestions for me. Just over 2 weeks into Fast800 and lost over a stone (14.5lbs) and can’t believe it. Happy but hungry! Re: stage 2 in the book, the New 5:2 says 800 cals 2 days a week(and now I know I CAN do that) and on non-fast days a portion controlled/Med diet. The words portion-controlled are what’s got me concerned. Can anyone please suggest approx calories on the non-fasting days so I don’t go wild?

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thanks for the good wishes Eclectic,it’s Julz who is going to Norway,wish it WAS meπŸ™‚
    Have walked the dog and feel so much better for it even though we were both boiling afterwards,it was just a half hour walk (she’s a shih tzu and that seems to be enough for her)think we both need to get fitter! Dawn

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi to that long list of subscribers, so many of us willing to keep going. Diet wise for me just the same as last week. I made a bit of a blunder on Monday when I tried out a chickpea flour cobbler to top my usual mince dish, just wanted a change from bolognaise, chilli etc. I used 50g of chickpea flour (so 20g for me as hubbys was bigger than mine, excuse the pun) and instead of butter I used 2 tablespoons of cream cheese and then a splash of milk. It turned out good but increased my BG and my weight the next day. Just something different that I wont try again.
    Wendy, I have been doing a for and against list for France and England and, no surprise the only positives on my UK list are family, shopping, entertainment with a long long list of negatives – including medical care. Can you imagine me going back to the UK and telling my doctor I would like my results by the next day if possible because I already have an appointment with the cardiologist who I rang a week ago. That conversation would never happen. If you are in the UK feel free to share your good experiences especially with diabetic treatment. Got to go, daughter on the line.

• posted by petiteketo
    on

Hi all found you here from the welcome thread thanks Sunnyb

Everything going ok atm. Started BSD on 10 August weight loss on scales after 5 days not been weighed since will wait till Friday.

To be honest I’m absolutely amazed. Thought I could never lose weight (post menopausal 60 years old).
    Any one on here very small on here doing this ? I ‘d be interested with your experiences. I am 5 ft tall size 3 shoe bmi not helpful as when I started I weighed nearly the same as at full term pregnancy with my daughter and the measurement around my middle was 2 inches more than my husband! Still feel great keeping to 800 a day no alcohol cutting back on Nespresso coffees and surprised I have developed a taste for camomile tea. Also sleeping loads better according to my watch.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi EclecticRajistan,

Thanks for the offer to pass on information on my tourism business to your friend, but its probably not an appropriate place for them. – My business is a barn conversion specifically designed for extended families and groups of friends to hold reunions. It sleeps up to 32 people in 7 bedrooms. – It just wouldn’t work to rent it out to small groups and individual families. – When the Welsh Government first announced that self catering holiday lets could reopen I started to get enquirers from people who make it clear that they had not been following the lockdown rules on meeting friends and family so didn’t see a problem with continuing with that arrangement. – Other holiday let professionals who have decided to open are having problems with people booking and turning up with more guests for a party. – I decided it would be less hassle to stay closed. Especially when you look at whats involved in the cleaning protocols. – Scary.

But there is a bright side to the situation. – I came across a website called workaway. – People can register as travelers or hosts and can trade accommodation and meals for labour on projects. – So I am able to spend the next few months living off savings that I had built up to fund hiring people to do jobs and work alongside people doing the work ourselves. All rather relaxing really. I am not looking forward to going back to letting out the holiday let. I like this life better.

Thats why I was looking again at chainsaw trousers, I plan to spend some time working on hedges next month, when I have a workaway staying who used to run a smallholding, so we should be able to crack on between us with tackling some of the overgrown hedges.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Workaway…what a brilliant idea, JGwen !! So glad you are able to take advantage of the scheme and get some help there. You are very resourceful but it is good to share out the load .
    Great to read so much motivation and enthusiasm in the posts. Welcome petiteketo, and Humphrey1 !

Sunshine girl, I fully understand what you mean about the advantages of readily available, quality health care in France. I think that whatever you decide there must be no regrets. It’s a tough one but I doubt you will allow yourelf to be pressurised. My boys were born in France and they will eventually return here so my situation is very different. I really feel for you though.

I will be back soon to chat more. I have to post late in the day when guests don’t need me πŸ˜‰
    All the best everyone

• posted by The other me
    on

Dear Amz, losing weight doesn’t have to be tough. We bought the BSD diet book. It’s good. You have to kick into touch all the bread, cakes, biscuits, potatoes, pasta, rice. No sugary stuff. This is so you get to the β€˜switch’ . The sooner you get there the quicker fat burn will take place. Think about yourself for once, learn to love yourself and make journey easy by having a good list of foods that fall within the BSD.
    Aim to get under 200lb first. Set this as your target. Believe me 199 feels much lower when you get there. Weigh yourself once a week. You will know when you put your clothes on that weight is falling. If you are looking for 2-3 stone loss then plan it over at least 6 months but don’t worry if it’s longer. In fact I’m not following 800/day , mine’s around 1200/day but a lot less than 3500!!!!! Do it for yourself. The Mediterranean diet is one of the best. I should know my mum was Italian! Let me know how you get on.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi sunshine-girl – you asked people about their experience of diabetes care in the UK. I’d say my experience is similar to yours in France. After I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in 2016, I had my first follow up hba1c blood check after 3 months. I had one at 6 months and then because I was back in the normal range they moved to annual checks. I go in to get my bloods done on a morning and they are ready for me to access the next afternoon (I have electronic access to my test results). This has happened after every blood test over the last 4 years. I also have a free annual foot and eye check. I also had access to a free diabetes education programme when I was first diagnosed. The only issue I have with my diabetes care is the dietary information with which I was provided when I was first diagnosed and the linked attitude of a few staff – but I suspect that is likely to be similar in lots of countries.
    Cheers
    Jennie

on

Hi Jennie, thanks for that. Just because I have doctor gorgeous here in France doesnt mean he understands my diet. He is very sceptical, hence the 3 monthly cholesterol tests, but he knows whatever I am doing works for me. I sometimes think the HbA1c every 3 month is a bit over the top when I am very stable around 5.5 and 6.0 so a 6 month check would be okay. I will need a doctor who I can tell I am in control of my condition (if that’s what they want to call it) and only need support, not controlling. There are good doctors and stubborn doctors everywhere. I also have to remember I pay for my treatment here – basic NHS style treatment is free but everyone has to have a top up insurance for the big stuff i.e. accidents, operations, serious illnesses not covered by the state benefit (diabetes is covered but I still need the top up). This costs us around €140 a month for 2 people and will get more expensive as we get older. Need to factor that in. It is all going on our for and against list. Thanks.

Well, I have been sooooo bad today. We did our weekly shop and couldnt get an item that we really wanted which was on special offer. We dumped our shopping off at home and headed out to another supermarket half an hour away. Yeah, they had the item, success. By now it is just after 1 pm and we are starving and I said ‘shall we eat out’. I wont go into detail but it felt like Christmas, just being out. First time eating out since February and first time out, out since 16th March. No regrets, just need to get back on.

By the way, did anyone watch part 3 of the Dr M programme last night. I felt he mumbled his way through the results and really confused the situation by mixing up his measurement types – you have lost 10.5 cm – errrr how much is that in real money one contestant asked – around 4 inches. He did the same with the kgs and the stones and pounds. I guess some use one or the other – I am metric but my husband kept asking, how much is that she has lost. He could have said you have lost xxx kilos which amounts to xxx stones and pounds, but he waivered between the two. Got there in the end.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sounds like you needed the boost of that meal out, SG !

• posted by JGwen
    on

I did get the impression that the results last night were not what they had wanted to be able to report, so they were mixing up the results to make it sound better. – Wasn’t the title about loosing a given amount of weight in 3 weeks, and while one had a fantastic result on weight loss most didin’t achieve the advertised amount. = Maybe 4 weeks would have been better? Were they not taking the measurements over their sweatshirts or was that just for illustration for the cameras?

What I found concerning was the interview at the start. The idea that 3 out of 4 people will regain the weight, but its all good because they will regain the weight over a number of years so it will have given them a few years at a better weight. ! – Also no advice for those who obviously wanted to continue. I realise that the doctor being interviewed was giving the NHS view on dieting, but I do think there should have been coverage of a solution.

There is a discussion on Dr Fungs facebook group at present triggered by the program. One person asked about combining periods of following this eating program with Intermittent fasting. – The eating 800 calories a day will kill your metabolic rate are out in force. –
    Its a pity that there is the definitive result from following the biggest loser contestants that cutting calories while eating carbs long term results in a drop in metabolic rate while there hasn’t been a similar research on the impact if in ketosis. It would answer so many questions.

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

Good morning. I skimmed through most of the posts today. My head is aching again; I’m finally leaving the house next week to go to the eye doctor. I’m hoping new glasses with help these constant migraines. Sleep would too, I know, but my insomnia is constant. I’ve tried melatonin, but it didn’t seem as effective as I hoped- the difference is I fall asleep around 12/1 instead of 3/4am.

Today I’m planning to fast. Like Other Me suggested, I’m focusing on just getting under 200 lbs. I don’t want to take this lifestyle change casually, but I also know too much pressure on myself isn’t good. One step at a time…

• posted by The other me
    on

I wasn’t surprised by last night’s results. Doing more exercise makes a big difference. As sugar sits in your muscles waiting for action, as soon as you burn this by rigorous exercise your muscles look to stored fat. The sooner you move to fat burn the more effectively you start to lose weight.
    My view is avoid all potential sugar for the first month if you can. Walking a dog burns very little calories, in fact anything that doesn’t raise the heart rate for around half an hour is not going to help.
    Get out there and jog, power walk, swim etc.
    800 calories is short term. Just say you plan a 1500 calories low carb diet, over a year. That allows more choice, but it’s significantly more manageable. I think everyone will work out a route of their own.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi JGwen,
    Would you mind giving the exact name of the Dr Fung Facebook site/group? I would be interested to check it.
    I’m having a rather good week – feeling balanced, but I had one or two close encounters with carbs. I always find it hard when we have soup to not have a piece of bread with it. Any good suggestions for a substitute?
    I have sometimes baked seed crackers with no flour that are delicious. So delicious in fact that the family will finish them in no time.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi and welcome petiteketo,
    I too am 60 and 5′ any extra weight I might carry isn’t flattering at all. I did this way of eating (WOE) a few years ago lost 12kilos and all my aches and pains disappeared..I even managed to cure my bursitis in my shoulder without any injections 😊😊😊.
    I felt great, then something in my head said I could eat the bad stuff, so I did and now I’m back here πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ fighting the carb devils 😈
    I can’t say I’m finding it as easy as last time but I’m determined to discard as much weight as I can..my aim is to be 62 kilos by the end of this month..it’s either that or be living in 2 dresses all spring and summer…πŸ™ƒ I’m determined this isn’t going to happen..no I’m not buying any new ones!!
    The dress I have on today is feeling a little bit looser so something is going from somewhere 😊😊.
    I’m not weighing myself for a couple of days because if the scales say I’ve lost weight then for some reason the self sabotage starts…it did that last Friday..I had a couple of scotch and cokes ( because obviously to my carb devils, one just isn’t enough to sabotage any weight loss) that was followed by a couple of glasses of wine and carb laden nibblies😳😳 Anyway for the last 6 days I’ve been good and have kept the carbs down to around 20-25g ..have been drinking heaps of fizzy water and lemon juice. I read somewhere that lemon juice in water is supposed to help flush uric acid from your body..my gouty big toe is thanking me as we speak(write).
    No breakfasts..lunches were usually eggs ,salad and mushrooms..Dinners varied ..there were chicken stir fries, salmon and salad , duck breast with Bok Choy and cauliflower rice..
    Today I’ve had Greek yoghurt, blueberries,chia seeds and a small apple for lunch..was going to have walnuts in there but forgot them… Well I have to go take my fur baby for a walk she’s going beserk at the door..
    Have a great day/ night wherever you all might be..
    Stay safe, happy and healthy πŸ˜ŠπŸ–οΈ

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Olive, This is a link to the facebook group for Dr Fung, the official one. There are other facebook groups run by his supporters.

I do think that the tone on the group has changed recently, somehow its a bit more Dr Fung says, and only Dr Fung is right in mood.
    but then I am getting the feeling that its not the only facebook group where people are showing signs of being less tolerant of others.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/obesitycodenetwork/about

• posted by Squidge
    on

Totally agree with those who’ve said this WOE is about taking control. I find it easy when I’m motivated and paying attention – but it’s easy to slip into bad habits, or eat the wrong thing if I’m not. Usually I’m not much of a planner, but I find menu planning very helpful – not least because that helps me buy the right foods, and only the right foods, to get me through the week.

It’s so much easier to avoid temptation if it’s not staring us in the face every time we walk into the kitchen!

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Thanks JGwen. I will give it a try.
    Have been in a more local group with people inspired by Dr Fung, but am not so happy with the content and comments. To me it seems like some people there have eating disorder and take this as an excuse not to eat. I don’t want to be part of that.
    Perhaps the official site is a bit better regulated, at least there are rules.

on

Hi everyone, I know it is not a competition but I am 4’11” and a very important quarter. Any weight I have is bust and stomach so I am like a little barrel. Waitaminute you sound a bit like me, I can easily lose weight during the week and get 2 or 3 lbs down and then see how much I can get away with, usually in the form of vodka and tonic or a bottle of wine. Always intend it to be just one glass but then I forget. One thing I never do whilst having a drink is snack, it has never appealed to me. I have a designated snack before bed if I feel I need it and that is to do with my diabetes, not hunger or greed.
    After my meal out yesterday I am surprised to have lost weight – just a smidge. However, I didnt eat any carbs, it was a meat feast at the Buffalo Grill and then I didnt have an evening meal and just had a boiled egg for my bedtime snack PLUS I did 40 mins in the pool. So I am happily going to keep going despite it being the weekend tomorrow.
    I am also feeling better in myself as a decision has sort of been made. It all comes down to family. Yes, I love my house, pool, garden, lifestyle, restaurants, cheap but good wine etc etc but I love my family more. By the way, I am seriously getting sick of the heat – constantly in the mid to high 30’s – today 28 but so muggy. Now for the planning as it is impossible to do anything practical right now with the dreaded lurgy still around but preparations are in place. Starting with my second wardrobe that is full of clothes I might get into one day – 15 years later they either still dont fit or they were from my working life – so it all has to go.
    Think I am going to have a busy weekend. Stay safe everyone.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl,
    I can feel your energy radiate all the way up to Sweden! Go with the flow is all I can say.
    When it comes to clearing out things and clothes I’m a fan of the Marie Kondo method – take everything out in one category (clothes), put in a big pile and see what you really use/like/want to use. Get rid of the rest. I’m not a big shopper, but I was still amazed at how much I had.
    Good luck!

on

Thanks Olive, I tried that method of clearing out and kept everything. I now realise that even if I could get back into some of my clothes (I have 11 pairs of trousers – proper trousers not jeans and casual) I would never want to wear them again. And guess what I have discovered – I CAN BUY NEW. Yeahhhhhh.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Sunshine-girl, I’m glad you’ve made a decision you’re happy with. Even if you can’t act on it yet, you can start preparing and planning.

• posted by The other me
    on

I’d kick the booze for many reasons. Give it a try for 3 months.

on

The Other Me, I don’t know if that was meant for me but I gave up alcohol completely for nearly 2 years. It didn’t make a jot of difference to my weight, my diabetes or my life in any way. When I am strict on this diet i.e. 8 weeks I don’t drink at all. I don’t drink during January and I do sober October. I hope you do well with your not drinking, it is really easy when it is what you have decided for yourself. You could give the Jason Vale method a go, it worked for me for 2 years.

on

Good afternoon everyone 😊

JGwen, workaway sounds brilliant who knows it could last during these times. You are clearly enjoying it! Long may that continue!

Regardless of age, height etc I’m so glad we are doing this together. I’m learning loads!
    sunshine-girl- Good luck with the wardrobe de clutter. And hope hot weather eases off. We had an intense sunny uk week and can’t say I really loved it. I prefer mild British summers!

Squidge menu planning is definitely the key for me. I buy all of the BSD friendly food in advance and it helps! Today I am having a tuna salad for dinner!

The other me: I have cut down on alcohol rather than give it up completely, I have drank in moderation at least once a week due to social occasions but I’ve managed this with fasting, OMAD and still lost as of today 10 pounds (3 wks 2 days in) I would probably have lost more not drinking. I have less social engagements from September so I think no alcohol policy may be applied and well done πŸ‘ for managing it.

I hope the rest of you have had a good week. Have a fab Friday and wonderful weekend.
    πŸ₯°πŸ’œπŸ₯³

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    SG, I know how you feel I often thought I looked like a barrel or beach ball when I have extra weight to lug around 😊 .
    The other me.. I too stopped drinking for quite a number of years..then a couple of years ago when I met my 2nd hubby I would imbibe in a glass or two of wine with dinner when we went out on Friday nights..since moving away from my family I’ve probably added an extra night of drinking in my week..and used the excuse that I miss them so muchπŸ™ƒ I have now seen the error of my ways and decided after my last drinking session to just stick with a glass or two of wine on our Friday night eating out.. I don’t have any intention of giving that up because, life is to be lived and that’s what I intend doing..oh I read that back and it seemed as if I was having a go at you..it’s not how its intended..please don’t take offence 😁
    When we were out last night we witnessed a young couple on the next table celebrating her birthday with friends, then the young man got down on bended knee and proposed to the young girl..so nice 😊😊

, I had a big clear out of all my clothes before we moved.. I had things that were 20 years old and hadn’t been worn they just made their way further and further into the depths of the wardrobe onto a pile that was a maybe one day…20 years of maybe one days for goodness sake!!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    I’ve had a good talk to myself and like you sg I can buy new things😊😊 except dresses ,the ones I have are my keep to this woe and lose the weight cheer squad..🀸🀸🀹
    Well a load of washing is in need of hanging out so I shall leave all you gorgeous people for now.
    Have a fantastic weekend.
    Stay safe, happy and healthy πŸ˜ŠπŸ–οΈ

Please log in or register to post a reply.