ONE WEEK AT A TIME BEGINNING AUGUST 11TH 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wendy is very busy today and was anxious she might not have time to get onto the forum to set up the new weekly thread, so asked me if I would kick things off for the coming week.

Last week the thread was busy with posts from both a number of our regular contributors and pleasingly, some newcomers too. Some are still finding covid anxiety impacting on them, effecting their ability to keep a handle on their way of eating. If this is you, don’t be too hard on yourself, but try to avoid the carbs as much as possible and get back on track properly, as soon as you feel able.

On a personal note, I need more focus so plan to make myself more accountable. This means a return to recording and tracking everything consumed and extending overnight fasts.

When time permits, Wendy will be posting a list of contributors to previous weekly threads, but meanwhile if you want company for the coming week, want somewhere to share, seek advice or support, vent or celebrate, please jump right in. Everyone welcome, doesn’t matter if this is your 1st day or 100th …. newcomers, old hands, returnees, maintainers ….. this is the place to be.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi SunnyB,
    Thanks for starting up the thread. I’m motivated and ready to go! 🎉🎉
    Back to work today after 4 weeks holiday, and also back to stricter food routines.
    To my utter amazement, I’ve managed the holiday without putting on weight – first time ever I think. I stuck to low carb most of the time and no snacking between meals, but no real restriction beyond that. Perhaps I’m imagining, but it feels like my body has calmed down and settled a little (new set-weight ?) and it is now ready for the next step. BSD from Jan helped me loose 15 kg, and another 10 kg loss would bring me safely into “normal weight” BMI.
    Am so happy with what I have been able to achieve despite hypothyroidism since many years. So hope to those of you who are in the same seat!
    My biggest victory is non-scale and that is significantly less pain in my hips. From having to take pain killers to sleep, severely restricted movement (I’m only 46 after all!) to now sometimes even forgetting the pain.
    I’m not a calorie counter, so will keep to low carb, portion control and TRE. Usually do 16:8, but will also try to put in some 24h fasts (or longer) if I can.
    Have a great week all! KOKO

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sounds like you have a really good handle on things, Olive. Great result so far and excellent that you were able to enjoy your holiday without any gain. Especially pleased that your pain is improving, that is a great NSV. You seem to have a solid plan going forward and I’m sure it will pay off. Please keep us updated on your progress.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Olive_1, well done on your success with maintaining for the last 4 weeks.

But what I am more pleased about is to hear of your NSV of a reduction in pain. I understand how much of a difference that will make to your quality of life.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Thanks JGwen and SunnyB, I do feel 10 years younger than what I felt like before Christmas last year ( when I probably felt 10 years older than I really was 😂).
    Thanks both for being such good role models.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Count me in!
    Like Olive I’m trying 16:8 fasting. I’ve been doing that since I restarted the diet a week ago and been surprised that it’s not been too difficult. I am hungry when I have the first meal of the day, but I think we should be hungry sometimes. Hopefully it will remind me that most of the time I’m not actually hungry, so don’t need to eat between meals.

• posted by EllieAllegra
    on

Hi everyone – very happy to hear about your reduction in pain Olive 🙂 That’s a massive source of motivation for me too…I’ve not had a pain-free day in over 8 years, but I know that reducing inflammation can only be a good thing. I’ve had a tricky couple of days and over did the kcals by quite a lot at the weekend…first time seeing some friends since lockdown and we enjoyed a socially distanced meal together. I kept to low carb but had a big meal overall. Still, I don’t regret it as it was truly a lovely day. A couple of pounds gained but they’ll be off soon enough 🙂 I’m hoping to increase my exercise a bit over the next few weeks so that I’ll be able to do more walking on our holiday. I’m still amazed how my brain seems to now just ignore the starchy carbs that I used to eat regularly, it’s like it has just decided that these things ‘no longer apply’ to me….I just have to sort my portion sizes out now and I’ll be set! Anyway, hope everyone is doing well 🙂

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.I continue to gain and discard the same kg.Some days I can wait till 4pm to eat but late night snacks can reverse a whole day of effort. I have had a couple of days with improved BGL readings and Im realising that Im getting more insulin resistant so I can’t give up eventually I will succeed.Ihope you all have a great week.

• posted by Squidge
    on

On another thread it was mentioned that there are 21 days left in this month. As MM has just started his lose a stone in 21 days TV programme, that’s motivated me to make a real effort this month. I’m going for it – anyone joining me?

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi Squidge,
    Yes will definitely join you!
    Dawn

• posted by Lily
    on

Morning all, lovely to see a new weekly thread, thanks very much for setting it up Sunnyb.

Today is Day 6 and I’m proud to say I’m managing to stick to this like glue so far. I know this won’t always be the way, in fact, I know that it’s often the moment I think, “you’ve got this!” that the wheels come off my wagon. But I’m determined that this time I won’t surrender to all-or-nothing thinking and smash the wagon to pieces!

I’ve been, if anything, a bit over-zealous about tracking every calorie and carb—and I mean over-zealous, LoL. I’m measuring the weight of everything, even down to the occasional splash of milk in tea to the amount of no added sugar squash added to water to exactly how much cucumber I’m dipping into my houmous. I’m using a UK app called Nutracheck to do so (it costs £3.99 a month but it’s one of the most up to date and complete food databases I’ve ever seen). In doing so, I’ve actually been rather surprised by how much I can eat if I’m smart about sticking to low carb vegetables and protein. I was doing WW immediately before starting this so was already into the habit of tracking everything. Has it been plain-sailing? Of course not—I’ve self-soothed with food for years and associate stuffing food into my gob with feeling better—but that said, it’s been a lot easier than expected so far, perhaps because I’m currently on leave from work (back next Monday).

I’ve even done a bit of exercise. I’m very unfit but discovered Gina Buber’s “Dance that Walk” sessions. On YouTube, she has a series of videos for the very unfit which build up from 5 minutes of exercise to 50 minutes over the course of a few weeks. I started at 20 minutes and will probably stay there for a couple more days before upping to 25 minutes. Would recommend if you’re looking for something you can easily do in your living room.

Olive_1, I’m so pleased to read that your pain is much improved—I’m hoping to achieve the same over time. I get lower back pain/sciatica and neck pain and end up resorting to painkillers far more often then I’d like. I also have hypothyroidism. 😫 Hope your plans for portion control and TRE work out well this week.

Squidge, I also seem to be managing 16:8, almost accidentally cos I’m not especially hungry first thing (didn’t stop me eating anyway when I was doing WW!) But now I’m mindful of extending my fast as far as I can, so haven’t had any breakfast before 10am since starting.

And ADD6605, I’m definitely up for joining you and Squidge to stick with this like glue through to the end of August. I’d like to go the whole 12 weeks through to the end of October but don’t want to set myself up to fail so sticking with this to the end of August feels like an achievable goal. Let’s do this!
    EllieAllegra, glad you got to meet up with some friends. I think it’s great that you were still able to make good choices when you ate out—it gives me hope that I’ll be able to make this way of eating my default setting. But sorry to hear you’re someone else with daily pain—it sucks, doesn’t it? Hopefully eating this way will lower inflammation for both of us.

Hi Butterlover, keep on keeping on! Maybe it’s worth not worrying about TRE for a while until you get your snacking under control? Hope you have a better week!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Lily, I’m rubbish at measuring and weighing and think your approach is better.

• posted by Mumof4infrance
    on

Can I join in please. I started this WOE in May and lost 8 kgs, but fell off the wagon with the summer holidays etc but I still have a weight loss of 6kgs so not too bad. I have about 8 stone to lose in total to get to BMI 25 but have never been there before so I will have to wait and see if that is really possible. This week is going to be tough as we will be going to visit my Dad for a few days and it’s my daughters birthday on Wednesday but fingers crossed I will be able to swim quite a bit while we are away and hopefully keep to low carb but probably not tracking.

Do you post your weight loss on here at the end of the week or not? I really need to lose this weight as I have 4 small children and already have to been on medication for life due to a history of thrombosis 🙁

Lucy

• posted by Gardening Chef
    on

Hi. This is my First week, I began Yesterday 10/08/20 on the 800. I have the book and have devised a weekly menu, that I hope I can stick to! Yesterday, was Scrambled Eggs with Celery leaf. Prawn Lettuce Cups and Aubergine Lasagne for Dinner( found the sauce for this recipe to be a bit watery, so will have to work out a way to thicken it a bit.) I found the food tasty, and was not hungry. Today day 2 I have found I already have the metallic taste in my mouth, and feel thirsty, so trying to drink more Water! of which I am not a big fan, as I can taste the Chlorine even, after filtering it! I have quite a lot to loose and I took my measurements, so I can track progress.

on

A quick question, when you say try to keep the carbs under 20g, is that total carbs or net carbs. I just had lunch and had an avocado with it. That’s 13g of carbs but 10g are fibre so do I count that as 13g or 3g?

Thanks in advance

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all – still here and still dithering around the same weight. I am all for doing a 21 day challenge on the BSD, a stone would be amazing. Had a good swim this morning. It sets me up for the day, also it is my exercise done and over with so I can just relax for the rest of the day. Believe it or not swimming daily can become a chore and I feel really guilty if I don’t do it so it is praying on my mind all day, best to just get on with it. Poor little me – I think not. Have a good day everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi everyone. I’m in for the week.

Great going, Olive! Another vote for the inflammation reducing benefits of this WOE from me. I needed cortisone injections over the last few years to help with arthritis pain that used to give me endless sleepless nights and left me in tears too often. I still have sore days, but nothing too bad any more and I’m hoping I won’t need injections again any time soon.

My beloved dog is having an operation right now and although she should be absolutely fine, I’m worried to death! This is definitely something that would have sent me running for comfort food in the past, so fingers crossed I’m not going to be tempted. I’m baking some sardine treats for her and I think the smell is enough to put me off food for 24hrs in any case 😆.

Welcome Lucy and GardeningChef! Lucy- it’s entirely up to you what information you share. Tell us whatever you think is helpful for you. Net carbs are the thing. In the UK food packages tend to have net carbs reported, but I don’t know about France. Plenty of the apps like FatSecret (my favourite) will do the calculation for you if you are happy to use a bit of tech to help you along. It’s a slight faff at the beginning, but once the things you eat regularly are logged I found it saved me time and kept me honest with myself. Nothing wrong with pen and paper either, though!

Have a great week, everyone

on

In France packaged goods (tins etc) show carb or which x % is sugar then fibre, you count the total carbs so if something is 10% carbs or which 2% is sugar you count 10%. On foods you are counting yourself using an app again you count the total. You cannot discount the fibre. I think I have got that the right way round. Just picking up on the France situation. Actually I have just noticed a problem with the labels in France. Looking at a can of lentils it says for 100g Glucides 9.8 g of which 0.5g are sugar and 3.4g are fibre. Then you add up the rest of the breakdown i.e. fat less than 0.5g proteins 6g – surely that should add up to 100g. Looks like lentils are only 9.8 grams of carbs per 100 grams. yet on a website it says they are 38 grams per 100. Now I am really confused. I’m assuming the can contains a lot of water. Find an app to measure independently and stick with that. Help….

on

Help not needed, the lentils on the website are DRY and a lot of the weight in the can in water. Pas de probleme.

• posted by Bryla
    on

Sunshine-girl, you may well be right! My understanding was that since fibre does not significantly impact blood sugar, insulin or ketosis (most of it goes straight through) we don’t have to worry too much about it. I saved a quote from Drs Phinney & Volek (low-carb guys) at some point suggesting aiming for 20 to 25g net carbs or 50g total carbs. Maybe I misunderstood- I’m sure one of our wise friends can give us a definitive answer? Very confusing….

on

Thank you Sunshine girl and Bryla. I am using myfitnesspal to log my food which i have done on and off over the years so hopefully that avoids confusing packaging!

Bryla, I hope your dog is ok.

Lucy

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I am also up for making the rest of August really count. I am setting a (hopeful?) target of 2.5kgs to get me back to “two turkeys” excess; which would leave 8 kgs to get to zero. If I ever succeed in that, I would have taken my time having started in Jan 2019…I think I am not alone in nemesis being a four letter word, beginning with W and ending in E. I must look on it as equivalent to cream cakes – which I don’t fancy at all! Best to all, and nice to see some “chatty” posters. Bryla, I can understand how you feel, hope all is well and plse let me have recipe for canine sardine treats!

• posted by Lily
    on

Lucy, Bryla—personally, I wouldn’t worry too much about keeping carbs really low in the early stages. Anything under 100g carb per day is technically low carb and most people will be in ketosis around the 50-60g mark. I personally believe (and some low carb experts agree) that if you go too low, your body is likely to become even more sensitive to carbs than it already is, which will cause problems if you ever want to increase your carbs somewhat in maintenance.

This isn’t about getting a pink stick after dipping your pee for ketones (Dr Mosley, I really wish you hadn’t plugged ketostix in your most recent show—they only pick up one of the two types of ketones and they’re pretty useless after a time because the body becomes more efficient at producing ketones and doesn’t waste them by spilling them into urine—I’m sure he must know that??!), it’s about finding a way of eating you can live with for the long term. And if you cut carbs too far too soon you can quickly get bored of the food options available to you.

Some people, if they’re well into insulin resistance and/or Type 2 diabetes, will find they have to go lower to achieve weight loss, but in the first instance, assume that you don’t and aim for somewhere between 30g and 55g (net carbs) a day (and don’t worry if it’s occasionally less or more). Sticking to 800 calories will do most of the work for you if you concentrate on having decent amounts of protein first and foremost.

• posted by Lily
    on

And Bryla, hope your dog is ok xxx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I meant to add that along with scales I have a top which is pretty tight round the midriff so will also be using that to assess progress. Lily, I thought your post was really interesting.

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

Hello. I’m still around. Goals I’m working on for the week included increasing my water intake, sticking to BSD diet, and resuming my daily walks.

I did have a question though- should I count my vitamins into my calories and nutrition?

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

Hello, it’s been a while since I have even looked at this thread, still plodding on, I have a new job, well I am two months in and it’s going well. Last time I checked in I believe I was 14st 2lbs, by some miracle I am now 13st 6lbs. I have gone down two dress sizes since starting the Fast 800 and have reversed my pre-diabetic readings and reduced my blood pressure.
    It’s not been easy, I have a good 3 months at home but am motivated to stick to it now people are commenting about my weight loss. It’s nice to read all the posts, sorry I have been away from so long. Hope you all have a good week.
    Hope the dog recovers quickly.

on

Hi everyone, something I never mention on here which I really should. Have any of you looked at Dr Becky YouTube videos. She is a keto guru and talks a lot of sense. I have just watched 17 tips to stay low carb. You all know me and know I am not selling or scamming so here is the link – https://youtu.be/hYPPI0v9L8g. Hope that works but if not just google her name. Will also put this in Take A Look.

• posted by Lecurie
    on

Hello all
    I haven’t been receiving email notifications so assumed there were no posts!
    I’m plodding at present, finding I have a much bigger appetite now i’m exercising regularly again but I’ve cut out drinking so hope that I can get back to my fasting this week.
    Hope you’re all having a good day wherever you are.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi Amz, you and I (and I am sure others) have the same goals, so please stay around so we can compare notes! I am sure that unless they are quasi-sweeties packed full of sugar, you need not take vitamin supplements into account in any calculation of calories; the main thing is that you take care of yourself and stay healthy.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Lecurie, as this is a new weekly thread, it could just be that you hadn’t subscribed to emsilnotofication for it. Anyway, good to see you still with us, hope you have a good week.
    Amz, pleased to see you have a plan for the week and that you are still plugging away. Personally, I wouldn’t worry about counting your vitamins in your cal and carb counts.
    Sunshine, thanks for the link, will give that a listen tomorrow.
    Gill, good to see you posting here. Great results… shows that persistence counts, well done you … you’ll soon be on the next stone bracket.
    Bryant, hope you furry friend’s procedure went well and that recovery will be quick.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello everyone ! Here am and here you all are ! Welcome to anyone joining this week !!

SunnyB
    Merrymelba
    Niamh and Dean ( Neegan)
    EC
    Caronl
    Clarinet cathy
    Bryla
    Windyjulz
    Georgiejeorge
    Olive 1
    Puddy
    Dreamscometrue
    Gattina
    melH
    rosyapple
    LovesGroodles

timetochange
    Patricia
    Articfox
    Double Dutch
    PTR
    Britta
    Film24
    Rebeccakershaw
    JGwen (of course !!)

PlumpGoose
    Russianroulade
    DebbieDarko
    weebleswobble
    nicoles212
    Steviep
    Zuzuvela
    Frog
    GreenGal
    EachPeach
    SusieMac1957
    Limes254
    Butterlover
    PhoenixBurns
    Quetzal
    Waitaminute
    Riccoh
    Tulip1 (Clare)
    ADD6605(Dawn)
    Gyllb
    EllieAllegra

Roheryn
    AuroraB
    Sweetgirl
    BlueSkyz
    Karenwm
    SusieMac1957
    Jeremy Fisher
    ClemFlo
    LR800
    Eowyn
    Kevlondon and Mrs Kev
    Scubado
    Lulu16
    Shammy
    sunshine-girl !!!
    Beattie66
    2eviltwins
    Violinist ( Catherine)
    Sarah 1968
    Angelsand
    Lecurie
    Choccybuttons
    Sonz
    AnnieW
    Sixturkeys
    Urchin
    Delabodge( Clive)
    Calliope Swan
    O2BSkinny
    Ghudugi
    PSL68
    EclecticRajistani !!!
    Lily
    Luella
    Mumof4in France
    GardeningChef
    Gill33UK

• posted by wendleg
    on

Many thanks to Sunny for stepping in and gathering us all together and motivating us for another week !

For some reason this seems to be the week when I am being called on to help British friends struggling with French paperwork , involving letter writing, phone calls etc after slowly emerging after lock down cancellations ..Not easy as nothing much happens in August here ! Plus it’s bloomin hot !!!

Eclectic you mentioned Brexit which was very much on our minds when we were starting out with BSD. Well I took the path to gain French citizenship.It was a long, arduous process involving mounds of paperwork but after living here for 30 years I suppose I am pretty much used to French bureauracy. So myself and hubby are now French citizens ,while retaining our British nationality. It took 2 years in all …talk about an obstacle course !! 😉

Mumof4 in France ….whereabouts are you in France ? We are in the South West, Tarn département.

It’s good to see so many people checking in …already 32 posts since yesterday !! I hope lots more join or rejoin us. Welcome back !! There is a lovely friendly, supportive feeling about the thread with compassion and encouragement pervading all of the posts.

There definitely seems to be renewed interest in a low carb WOE right now..and long may it continue.

I haven’t got a great deal to add to the wise words already shared but I just wanted to pick up on something Squidge said
    « but I think we should be hungry sometimes. Hopefully it will remind me that most of the time I’m not actually hungry, so don’t need to eat between meals. »
    That is so true !! For years I grazed constantly throughout the day fearing being hungry. Now I welcome the sensation of hunger . It makes me feel that I am respecting my food rather than just scoffing everything in sight. We do relish our meals more when we can enjoy them and feel satiated becuse we really were hungry..

Thanks for the references sunshine-girl. I will check them out too.

Amz…you know what I think. Just stay with us , set yourself manageable goals and never give up
    It’s good to see your enthusiasm and determination Lily . You are very focused
    Bryla, thinking of you . We know how important your dog is to you and I hope everything went well.Please let us know.
    Good to see you back with us Gill33Uk ! Glad things are going well with you and all the best for this new phase.
    It’s so good to see people checking back in but I do worry about absentees …especially Rosyapple.
    If you haven’t posted for a while we would love to hear from you and help you get back on track.

Lots of love everyone

• posted by EC
    on

Good morning (Aus time) all
    I am back in (and will be for some time, as though I don’t have stacks to lose it’s leaving me very slowly!!)
    I’ve had a bit of a stall the last few weeks after our mountain sojourn, but feel as if I’m back on track this week.
    Bryla, joining all in well wished for your dog-we let them into our hearts like family!

Olive I have a like nemesis, (probably contributes to my slow loss) but we are in this for the long haul and it has to be a way of life.
    Also, regarding hip pain-I’ve had an off off hip/bursa pain in recent years which causes a lot of pain at night….-for the first time in my life I’ve started seeing a physiotherapist, and it’s been beneficial beyond my wildest hopes!! (and she’s recommended regular massages so I’m taking that!!)

MerryMelba glad you’re doing OK in stage 4-We have three boys (two with young families) over there-we’re missing them like crazy and the small fry (and thus their parents!!) are struggling a bit, so I’ve been trying to send regular care packages (even express post now takes 3-4 days to get there!!) However, they and we are all safe
    I guess the one good thing is, as we’ve only seen one-anothers’ faces for 6 months, they may notice the weight loss! 😉
    Wendy, that is one LONG list!!!-thanks to you and SunnyB for keeping us all accountable!

• posted by JoannaNowak
    on

I have been on a keto diet for 3 days. I feel pretty ok. My family eats normal meals so I have to cook myself and them separately. For now I am not tempted by other food 🙂 I was curious how to convert per kg to per lb. I recommend https://howkgtolbs.com/cost-per-kilo-to-cost-per-pound Interesting conversion rates. Write how you stick to your diet. We have to support each other 🙂

• posted by Squidge
    on

No weight loss today, but my weight tends to vary by a few pounds, so maybe this is a day when it would have been up, and the loss will show tomorrow?

I’d been good and planned our meals, but I’d expected the heatwave to have ended, so my first task is to decide what to have today, and get things ready. If I know in the morning what we’ll be having, and I’ve started prep, I stick to it. If I wait until I want to eat, I take an easy option – and too often that involves carbs.

Stay motivated people – we can do this!

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    Butterlover I am exactly the same as you, I can go all day without feeling hungry then 5:30 comes, hubby sits down with snacks and that’s it, I’m there eating 😭.
    Bryla, I hope your fur baby is ok..
    I’m still aiming for 62kg by the end of this month..I’m 62.7 this morning..it’s achievable..I just keep telling myself that I will be living in 2 dresses for spring and summer if I don’t watch myself ☹️
    Years ago on this way of eating I managed to fix my bursitis in my shoulder without injections..my Dr laughed when I told him I was going to change my diet and fix it…it took just under a year but I did it😊
    My knee is feeling lots better since starting this WOE again too it’s a win win situation.
    Lily thanks for the YouTube exercise thingy , I’ll give that a go👍
    Gardening chef.. I can’t drink tap water either for the same reason you gave…I go through quite a lot of fizzy water tho..
    Ok I’m outta here got some reading to catch up on.
    Stay safe, healthy and happy 😊🖐️

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for the good wishes for the hound! Welcome Joanna and great to hear the first few days have been going well. Squidge- it helps me too to plan ahead, though I definitely take it day-by-day. The weather has a really big impact on what I want to eat and I’m loving all the salad options just now.

My canine daughter is okay, I think. She hasn’t moved from her bed since we got back from the vet yesterday. I slept (sort of) next to her on the air bed but kept waking up to check she was still breathing 😂. Her tummy has been gurgling like a coffee percolator since 5am, so she’ll have to move soon I think unless she’s waiting for a bed pan!

SixTurkeys – I go with 2 tins of fish in oil (sardines, tuna or mackerel or sometimes a combo), 2 eggs, 160g plain flour and s crushed clove of garlic. Use most, if not all of the oil in the mixture. Although alliums like garlic in quantity can be toxic for dogs the vet tells me a tiny amount over time like this is safe. Mix in a bowel or processor, then either 40ish mins in the oven at 170 degrees in a baking tin, or about 6/7 mins in the microwave on a plate. With the microwave option I tend to split across 2 dinner plates and flip the ‘cake’ half way through. Cut into treats after cooling. We always have enough to last us at least a couple of weeks and I put plenty in the freezer. I seem to end up with a different consistency every batch, but I’m not sure the dog minds at all!

Sunshine Girl, thanks so much for the Dr Becky link!

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone,my day didn’t go as well as it could have yesterday but it’s behind me now and could have been worse food wise.My mum and I had an appointment to visit my dad in his care home but when we turned up we were told all visits are cancelled as 4 corona tests have come back positive,not my dad’s (but we are obviously concerned he may catch it now)So understandably they can’t allow any visitors but had forgotten to let us know.They probably had so many people to ring it’s not surprising they missed someone.Went to Aldi with my mum afterwards and only bought healthy things until I spotted some rocky road in the last aisle.I should have resisted I know but got it and ate 2 pieces when I got home.I didn’t even enjoy it that much,it was just a knee jerk reaction to stress.Have nothing in the house now to tempt me thank goodness so cracking on.It may seem a daft thing to do but I have taken a side on photo of a row of tops just hanging in my wardrobe hardly, sometimes never, worn (even though I can get into them they look far too tight around my middle)and am going to keep it on my phone and look at it regularly with the thought in mind that in just 3 weeks time I could potentially be wearing a lot of them comfortably🙂
    Bryla I’m pleased your pooch seems ok.
    I hope everyone has a good day.Dawn

• posted by Jeremy Fisher
    on

Week 9 update
    Lost a further 1.5lbs (total loss = 15.5lbs). 1150cals per day. Ran for 5 days. I took one day off to try to eat more and carbs with the goal of training my system to switch between carbs and fat to gain metabolic flexibility, while also giving myself a day off. It took 2 days for me to return to ketosis. Does anyone know anything about this as an approach?

The longer I’m doing this the more I’m realising how bad my system is at burning fat for fuel. My running is truly awful again at the moment – my system simply can’t get enough energy from fat to fuel my runs.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
    Progress log:
    Week 1: Lost 8lb. 800 cals. TRE. Great results, but a tough week with ‘carb flu’ and horrendous running that turned into walks.
    Week 2: Lost 2lb. 1150cals, low carb, and no longer TRE to make life easier. Running a little better but still some walking needed.
    Week 3 Lost 2.5lb. No need to walk in runs this week – more back to normal.
    Week 4: No weight loss (or gain), but 1/2 inch off my waist. Daily calories were over my 1150 target most days. Carbs were still low. I’ve decided to take a break for 2 weeks to get my determination back. Running much better since being back on carbs.
    Week 5: Gain 2lbs (net loss 10lbs). Back to normal eating this week (but trying not to overdo it!!) as part of a 2-week break.
    Week 6: Gain 3lbs (net loss 8lbs). Eating normally.
    Week 7: No change (net loss 8lbs). Eating normally. The break turned into 3 weeks!
    Week 8: Lost 6lbs (net loss 14 lbs). Back to it for another 4 week stint. Awful ‘carb flu’ again this week. One problem with cycling on an off the diet for me.

• posted by Lecurie
    on

Morning all. Thanks Wendy for adding me to this week’s list. SunnyB, thanks for explaining re adding myself to notifications. I’m such a technophobe!
    Squidgy, good idea re lose a stone in 21 days. I’ve recorded the two episodes of the show and will watch today and get my mojo back. Its very hot here in the North of England today so I’ve cancelled my gym classes I was booked onto as it’s really top warm. I plan on having a lovely salad for my meal which should be my entire 800 calories for the day. Still struggling to understand carb count but think if I stick to 800 a day that should have some impact.
    Have a great day everyone.

on

Virtually everyone on here seems to be doing the Fast 800, rather than the 5:2. (me included although it’s the Fast 1150 in my case (I run most days to burn the excess calories so that’s my excuse for having more!).

Having watched Jason Fung’s videos (a must if you haven’t seen them yet – look on YouTube), and learning about Autophagy (where the body repairs its cells during a fast), I’m tempted to switch over to a 36hr water fast to ensure I enter autophagy, and perhaps do that 2 days a week (as a 5:2).

Does anyone have any experience of this? Have you seen or felt any benefits of doing this?

on

Further to my post above. Here’s an article on Autophagy if you haven’t come across it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44005092
    Recent research suggests a 24 or 36hr fast is far more likely to induce autophagy than the 16hrs suggested here (as I understand it). And you mustn’t eat anything at all in that time. Water only. Even a few calories will stop you entering that state.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi Jeremy, interesting article.
    I’m with you on this line of thinking, and totally agree that everyone should watch or read Jason Fung.
    I haven’t done 36 h fast but a couple of 24 h fasts (I know there are many on here that are real professionals when it comes to fasting).
    There is some uncertainty on when autophagy sets in, but I think it is clear that the longer the fast the better. I did see an interesting episode on YouTube from Dr Sten Ekberg, explaining quite in detail the difference between OMAD and 2MAD also in relation to autophagy.
    https://youtu.be/Oq_3pYXXXQs

With regards to getting better fat adapted, I think you just have to keep going. Do you include much fat in what you eat? Could perhaps be increased.
    Switching between low carb and high carb will only work if you’re not insulin resistant, so this has to be addressed first I think.
    I believe I’m on my way with getting better insulin sensitivity after 6 months of low carb.
    Keep experimenting and let us know.

• posted by Lily
    on

Jeremy, on the day you ate more carbs, how many more did you eat? I suspect metabolic flexibility is never going to be about being able to eat three carb heavy meals with pizza, pasta and rice one day and being able to slip smoothly into ketosis the next. So much wish it was. That would be amazing. 😂

By the way, I’m pretty sure that *isn’t* what you did 🙂 But I suspect it’s really going to matter how many carbs you have on your “day off”. If you go from having 50g carb one day to 200g carb the next, then those 200g are going straight into glycogen storage unless you burn them straight off with 800 calories of exercise. And that’s a lot of exercise (much more than most exercise calculators would have us believe). If you don’t exercise, then it’s inevitably going to take a while for your body to use up your glycogen store before getting back into ketosis.

So maybe the key to extending the range of your metabolic flexibility is to experiment with exactly how many additional carbs you can get away with, without it causing Keto flu the next time you revert back to your usual carb intake. Maybe start by adding 10, 20, 30g of carb on your “day off” until you find your personal tipping point?

• posted by Lily
    on

Afternoon everyone (well, it is here in the U.K.). I’ve miraculously arrived at Day 7, which maybe I shouldn’t have be surprised about as it’s not as if I haven’t done this many times before 🤦🏽‍♀️ but somehow I’m prouder this time than ever before. I’m well and truly in the groove, something seems to have clicked, and I’m remembering all the reasons why low carbing is brilliant for me. It’s weird how I forget it all (well, ignore it all) when when I’ve slipped off the wagon, but maybe that’s just a sign of how blummin’ addicted to carbs I am.

I’ve just spent 6 weeks on WW determined not to give up and telling myself to trust in the plan. But throughout the whole of that 6 weeks, a part of me was watching the people who did really well with it and noticing that they were the people who ate smaller portions, had loads of veg and restricted their complex carb intake. And at times it made me almost angry that they were calling what they were doing “following the plan” because I was ridiculously focused on the parts of WW that said I could eat unlimited amounts of some food and still lose weight. I was so determined to make WW work while still stuffing my face with brown rice pasta. What an idiot. The triumph of hope over experience. I remember reading in Gary Taubes original book years ago that the only reason low calorie diets work is that in restricting calories, you also restrict carbohydrate intake by default. It rang true the first time I read it, it rings even more true now.

Anyway, I am most definitely losing weight—at a guess I’m at least half a stone down but will wait a bit longer before finding out for sure. Being on leave from work has made this a golden opportunity to experiment with what low carb food I can easily make for myself for lunch and tea and still feel satisfied. I’ve wanted to eat more but hand on heart I haven’t been hungry—the two things are most definitely different, aren’t they?

Hope everyone’s having a good day! x

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Clouds are gathering in London and I can hear some rumbles of thunder in the distance so I am hoping the weather will break – I have found the heat unbearable. Bryla, I hope your dog is recovering well and you managed to get her up for a potty break. I am definitely going to make the sardine treats – my two are miniature breeds so will pass on garlic as don’t know what a safe dose would be, but I do have some hard cheese which is getting even harder, so I will grate some of that into the mix. Lily, sounds like you are off to a flying start! I am really trying to buckle (back) down. I would love to hear what you are all eating; for ideas. For late lunch I had few little gem leaves/4 baby plum toms/1/3 tin chickpeas and a tin of mackerel in curry sauce; a few blackberries and some greek yog; supper is remains of 1 orange and 1 yellow pepper, plus 1 small onion, slowly cooked in (admittedly a not ungenerous amount of) olive oil, with haddock fillet oven cooked in foil; plus maybe 1/4 small bag of baby spinach. i have always been bad at counting carbs/cals etc but when I was eating same kind of things, but being “good” in excluding bad items, I was shifting the weight/inches so fingers crossed.
    Hope all are well.

• posted by DoubleDutch
    on

Hi all,
    just wanted to let you know I’m still reading the weekly thread. Good to hear so many of us giving their updates! I’m in maintenance since early July and I’m still in 1 kilo up/down , so that’s quite all right. Maybe a few too many days at the higher side in a row now, so I might throw in a few 800 days, to see if I still have what is takes 🙂
    @jeremy I’ve done some fasting, I felt I needed to stick to the plan strictly for the first 8 weeks, then started to play around a bit. So higher cal days and fasting days. 24 came pretty easy, then a few 36 that usually tuned out 40ish since I do 16/18 hours fast anyway. Then I upped to 48 a few times. Happy with my skin, so either I’m lucky or it works, or perhaps both.
    Re fat adaption, I’ve been low carb since early January. I have a ketone breathaliser and I know I can eat around 80 grams while staying barely in ketosis. I might even have dropped out once or twice, I can miss it if I don’t blow every half hour. I tried to eat a lot of carbs the other day but I’ve just guesstimated it, came at 80 grams. No wonder I didn’t get out of ketosis. Anyway, I will try again soon, but since I see my numbers go up that quick after eating 80 grams, I think I’ll be back in ketosis pretty quick. My normal days are around 40 grams a day. But I’ll make sure to be in my lower range of my maintenance wriggle room before I’ll experiment again 🙂
    DD

• posted by JGwen
    on

Jeremy, muscle cells which are fat adapted have a very different structure, there are 5 mitochondria per muscle cell as apposed to 2 mitochondria per muscle cell if your muscles are adapted to a carb diet. – Obviously it takes time for your body to replace your muscle cells. The keto facebook groups for sports people advise that no one trys to transition to keto if they have a competition plans for the next 3 months. – The recommendation is to stay under 20g of carbs consistently to encourage your body to adapt to burning fat.

I would suggest you have a look at Dr Phinneys work, including the Art and Science of Low Carb Performance.
    Also look at Dr Bikmans work on muscle cell structure and ketosis.

I think a lot of the consideration on the carb level depends on the nature of carbs. – So carbs that are from vegetables and come with a lot of fibre are going to be digested more slowly and have less of an insulin impact than processed food. = I think after a period of sustained ketosis it may be able to go up to 100 carbs a day and still be effective with your running. You just have to give your body time to heal and then start to use a cheap breathalyser to monitor ketosis and experiment on the number and type of carbs, increasing slightly to find the level at which you can move in and out of ketosis.

Please log in or register to post a reply.