ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning April 28th 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I said this in my latest post but I will repeat it here for anyone who happens upon the forum.
    These are difficult times and it is hard to stay focused and resist the urge to turn to food for comfort and “treats “.

Consequently there have been a few people expressing the need to ‘reboot’ and address the insidious slide
    So we are here !

You may just need a bit of help to stay motivated in these challenging times, or you just want to maintain healthy habits as best you can. Weight loss may not be your priority , it may be just trying to avoid snacks and comfort eating….It doesn’t matter however small your goal , we will always offer friendly support.

This is a good place too for anyone embarking on the Fast 800 programme and with lot of questions.
    We will do our very best to help you get started and keep you on track .
    Let’s do this !
    Wendy and Sunny

• posted by Neegan
    on

Hi Wendy and Sunny,

Myself and my partner have started the plan today. We both have about 15kg to lose and get ourselves back on track to a normal health weight and lifestyle. We have both had tummy issues over the last year so this is our recharge button. We are both working Frontline services (shift work) so we are busy during the pandemic and I’m hoping the pre-planning of meals will reduce the snacking. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Niamh and Dean

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for kicking things off for us again Wendy. I have decided to be content with maintenance for now and that I will back off of on weighing daily for this week. Being content to back on or around target will do for me right now.

Neegan…. welcome to you and your partner. Taking control of your nourishment is a great thing to do for yourselves, especially in the current situation. I’m sure there will be plenty of advise posted by others, but my tips are – plan your meals in advance; rid your cupboards of nonBSD foods; weigh, measure and record everything consumed; be sure to include good fats in your menu to help with feeling full quicker and for longer; be sure to keep hydration high … if in doubt, have another glass of water. Finally, many thanks to you both for all you are doing during these unique times.

Hope we will be seeing lots of others joining us here, as always both existing and new BSDers welcome 🤗

• posted by Neegan
    on

Hi Sunny,
    Thanks a million for your tips. I have planned the whole week of meals and did the shopping today plus I’ve moved the chocolate from the fridge to the sweet cupboard which is well above eye level so hopefully it’ll keep the temptation at bay. I’m looking forward to seeing what the first week of differences will bring. Best of luck with your maintenance.
    Niamh

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hi Everyone and thank you to Sunny and Wendy for setting up the weekly thread. I don’t think I’ve been a part of this thread before but I’d have read it regularly.
    I would love to be part of the weekly thread whilst I am getting myself back on a further 8 week BSD following my recent lapse. I have 14 lb to lose to get me to where I want to be. I am feeling very motivated because my clothes are tight and I can’t afford to buy new ones now I’m retired. There are two pairs of summer jeans that I wore two years ago when at goal that were a lovely fit and now I can’t get the zip up.

For those who don’t know me, I started BSD in January 2017 and lost 42 lb. I maintained my loss for 18 months but struggled to maintain last year and actually had to amend my goal weight because it was impossible for me to keep that low, So now my goal weight is 138 lb. I am ashamed to say that I am now 152 lb due to my struggle post Christmas and then my lapse at the beginning of the Covid epidemic when I lost the plot with fear. I did get as low as 130 lb in 2017 but I am 59 years old and am happy to be a size 12 and aim to get back to 138 lbs over the next few months.

I recognise a lot of very familiar “friends” on the weekly thread, many who have helped me along my path to goal and here I am again.

The difficult times we find ourselves in have thrown a few of us into chaos. However, I am now determined to get back some control. I will post my weight tomorrow and weekly.

Good luck everyone.

Cathy

• posted by wendleg
    on

Welcome Niamh and Dean and first of all many many thanks for everything you are doing as Frontline workers. Well done on taking charge of your health at this unsettled and very busy time for you.
    I assume you have had time to read the Fast 800 book so you understand the basic principles ? It means a radical shift in thinking . It’ s important for the first 8 weeks to keep calories low ( 800) and that means planning meals to include protein , leafy green veg , healthy fats ( avocado, olive oil, nuts and seeds, Greek yoghurt are Ok ) and avoiding high carb foods ( bread, pasta, rice, starchy veg ) You can keep things simple by avoiding all processed foods and anything low cal or low fat which is often full of sugar or chemical sugar substitutes.
    The Fast 800 book does offer some recipe ideas ( be wary of calories which can be way off) but if you eat breakfast think in terms of eggs and some protein. Do you need to take lunch to work with you ?
    What time do you eat your evening meal ? Again, protein and green salad or leafy veg is the way to go.
    When I first started out ( in September 2018) I recorded everything in a notebook from The Works and I liked having a sort of diary of my progress.I also included my measurements starting out, any recipes I gleaned and also videos and books which were recommended.
    Understanding the role of insulin and keeping blood sugars stable is vital and I found Jason Fung’s The Obesity Code explained this clearly . My reading led me to a serious aversion to processed junk and the demon sugar !
    I am a bit all or nothing so I never tried any low carb substitutes for bread etc although cauliflower rice is a big favourite ! Try to eat natural, whole foods. It’ s important to be aware that you will probably go through a form of carb withdrawal as you start out which can mean headaches, fatigue and brain fog in the early days but it wll pass . Make sure you drink lots of water, herbal tea, black coffee etc to stay hydrated.On the positive side you will feel energised and so much better and it is common to lose 10% of your body weight in the first 8 weeks.
    You can also track your progress on an app. Lots of people use My Fitness Pal or Carb Manager. Find something that works for you.
    We always recommend the Diet Doctor website which is a great resource for recipe, meal plans, videos and very useful articles.
    That’s just for starters but feel free to ask any questions you may have. Our experiences are all different but we are all converts to this low carb programme and relief from years of yo yo dieting !
    The prize is increased energy and health ! All the very best to you both !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi again !
    I have just seen that Sunny has given you some sound advice . Yes, clearing out the junky foods is a good idea for sure ! Definitely plan ahead so you can be prepared if you come home tired after a long shift. You won’t feel like cooking and you will be reaching for that choc ! ( I can only buy 95 or 98 % cocao or I scoff the whole bar !!)

Welcome to the weekly thread Cathy ! I love your strength and determination. You acknowledge the impact that fear and anxiety caused and you decided to address it. There is nothing to be ashamed of. You are taking charge of your health . It’s vital right now to keep our immune systems strong and eating nutritious foods is defintely one thing we can control. You will be back where to want to be CC. Be kind to yourself in the process !

• posted by EC
    on

hi all
    I’m taking the plunge back in here. I successfully did BSD almost three years ago and every attempt to climb back on board has been stymied (by me!!)-I’ve gradually regained all of the 8 or so kg I lost so obviously need to be kept accountable! _I’d loaned out my copy of the book to whom I can’t remember, so have just ordered a new one online and will climb back into MFP as well!!
    We’re heading into winter here and fortunately wholesome soups are one of my favourite foods-I look forward to remotely getting to know you all in these surreal times when we’re all online more than ever!!
    I’m also very fortunate to have a walking track just outside my house (and an energetic border collie) and space to exercise at home-so no excuses!!

• posted by caronl
    on

Welcome back EC. A border collie will certainly keep you on your toes! Glad you are joining this thread Cathy. Wendleg you sum up the approach really well. If you added the pinch of salt tip re the dreaded carb flu, it could be our text book intro! Good luck to everyone for a healthy mindful nourishing week. xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

CC and EC glad you have decided to step aboard with us here and we will happily offer all the encouragement we can to you both.

EC, focus on moving forward rather than reflecting on what has brought you back to the forum. Soups are a good fall back, nourishing, comforting and filling too.

CC, having those jeans fitting comfortably again as a goal, should be very motivating and I’m sure you’ll get there before you hit target weight.

Hope to see you both dropping in to update us and to seek support if things get iffy. We have confidence you will once again get to where you want to be … you both have the tools and will soon be in the swing of things. Keep on keeping on.

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi everyone! Thanks to Wendy and Sunny for your commitment to keeping the thread (and us) going. Welcome to Niamh and Dean, EC and ClarinetCathy. So good to have your company!!

Neegan, if it helps you believe this is doable, I have discarded just over 14kg (31lb) since starting in January. The weight loss is great, but I feel better physically and mentally than I have for so many years, and that helps me stay on track. We all find different parts of this WOE challenging at different times, but the great thing is that each time you believe in yourself and push through, the hard bits get a little easier. We are all different and discard weight and adjust our mindsets at different rates – I would really recommend drawing on other folks’ experiences for inspiration and reassurance, but not comparing your progress to theirs. From experience I would also caution against getting too hung up on the bathroom scales. Progress there can be a great boost, but never forget that your body will be busy making all sorts of beneficial changes that won’t necessarily show in the kg straight away.

My update is that I am still discarding despite working on increasing my calories for maintenance. 3.6lbs down in the last 7 days is mind-blowing! I haven’t discarded that much since the early weeks. I have read on other threads that this is not that unusual. My new exercise bike habit might well play a part. This is all good, but far from feeling that I’ve cracked it, I think I am only just starting to understand how my body processes food and what I need for nourishment. I know there is still a big risk that I could fall back into old ways, even though I now feel very comfortable with the WOE.

I have complete faith in every one of us. I am rooting for everyone who is resetting/getting back on the wagon now. While the current situation hasn’t derailed my WOE, it has definitely shaken me in other ways that are far from ideal. Unhelpful coping strategies can take many forms, but I know we all have the power to challenge them, with a bit of help from our friends! Keep at it, everyone.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Good morning, and thanks Wendy and Sunny for setting up the thread.
    Nice to meet you Neegan and EC and to properly meet you ClarinetCathy. I hope this is a good week for you and you can start getting on track.
    I’ve been dabbling with this for a while now but as of last Tuesday I decided to go all in and ensure I met the 800 calorie limit (I think i was kidding myself before) and well would you believe it – it works a treat. I’m down from 12st 10 to 12st 4 in a week. So here I am, week 2 day 1, smiling adn keen to keep this going. I feel good, mentally and physically and Im beginning to feel like some life goals are achievable – a comfy UK size 12, under 12st would be a first for me as far as memory goes!
    I’m keeping it simple and sticking to pretty much the same things every day – black coffee in the morning; Fast800 shake with crushed ice and smashed frozen berries followed by a coffee with cream for lunch. And a salad for supper – choice of meat with a little cheese, olive oil and full fat mayo. Decaf with cream in the evening. I am trying to walk 6km a day and i’ve been doing guided meditation for 30mins a day as well.
    Not only am i weighing less, looking better but my mental health is as good as it has been in a long long time – all this during COVID 19 stresses. I am finding some inner peace and relaxation and combating any bits of anxiety i have.
    Thank you to those who have posted, shared experiences and helped me find the drive to get this sorted……

Sorry – bit too much waffley details and drama considering I’m only on day 8…. hahaha….. but here’s to the next 7 days of keeping it up and feeling good!

• posted by georgiejeorge
    on

Hi All
    I did the BSD a couple of years ago but life took over and I’ve found myself back. I started again yesterday and I am sooooooo hungry this time round! I don’t remember it being this bad last time. Someone please tell me it gets better. I feel my head is clearer this time round, I don’t live with my parents anymore (they were quite anti fat) so it was hard to explain the ways of my choices to them. Its my 27th birthday on Thursday and I am so fed up of being the fat one, i’m at 169kgs and blood sugar is high, which I can’t believe i am telling people. Anyway just wanted to say hi and put myself out there so i’m more accountable for myself and talk to some like minded people. Boyfriend is enjoying the recipes he eats what I eat just more relaxed as he doesn’t need to loose weight as such. Think i’m glad I am still working through all this as well otherwise i’d be reaching for the snacks

Georgie

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi Everyone! So lovely to see all your posts, feels like a treat to log on and discover 12 new posts!
    Welcome to all new joiners and best of luck – you all seem very determined.
    I’ve been doing this since second week of Jan and am now down 11 kg, one kg down in the last week. I’m very happy with this result as I also have hypothyroidism, that in the past has made it impossible to loose (or even maintain) weight.
    My approach is to keep my carbs as low as possible, but am not counting calories. I don’t want to have to weigh and measure every day – I want to learn how to do this naturally, listening to my body. So far it is working. I’ve challenged myself with time restricted eating lately, keeping 15- 18 hours of overnight fasts. This gives a boost I find, but was something I only started with 3 months in.
    I still have at least 10 kgs to go so will be around.
    Have a great week!

• posted by Puddy
    on

Hi everybody, this will be week 8 for me. I’m pleased with what I’ve done so far – 10% of my body weight. Unlike some who are struggling in the lockdown I’m finding it removes a lot of temptation.

I’ve read the recommendation on this site that you can do up to 12 weeks at 800/20. I’m hoping that the next 5 weeks will get me close to a healthy weight and then I can loose the last 10 lbs to get me in there more slowly and get used to this woe without counting calories.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome back georgiej … Glad you have decided to come back to us and yes, it WILL get better. I’m sure on some level you really know that. Great that you have the support of your man and that he’s content to eat this way too. Having that home support is so helpful. Please keep us posted on how you progress and shout if you’re struggling, so we can offer encouragement and support.
    Well done on dropping another kg Olive. You are still sounding fired up and focused, so I’m sure you’ll see off those other ten soon.
    Great result, Julz and good to have that goal to work towards. Confident you’ll get there.

Wonderful to see so many continuing to forge ahead, despite the uncertain times we are living in. Keep going 😗

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi everyone. Great to see a good few on here! Well done to all those seeing results and also those who are either returning just starting out.

Georgie it does get better. Are you drinking enough? If you feel hungry try seeing if a glass of water makes a difference? Puddy you’re doing really well and yes keep going as long as it feels right for you. Bryla and WindyJulz amazing progress! Well done X

I’m an old timer whose weight has crept up over the last few months so I’m on the case. Last weeks goal was to get into a regular exercise routine which I’ve now done. This week I want to restart TRE as that worked really well for me before. I was using COVID 19 as an excuse not to do that in case it made me weak – I’m the Queen of Excuses! So that’s this week’s goal. Then next week I want to drastically cut down wine as I’ve got into the habit of drinking most days. This week it’s my birthday so will tackle that one next week!

One step at a time for me but I’m feeling motivated and positive, and pleased to be in the zone again.

Good luck everyone X

• posted by wendleg
    on

OOh I remember you EC, living under Kunanyi in Hobart, Tasmania ?? I also remember you were going on your travels ? Good to see you !

Hi Bryla ! It’s great to see that this woe is becoming a way of life for you and I think your experience is so inspiring to anyone starting out
    Some great advice .

I am convinced that understanding how our body works, how we respond to food is vital to long term success and ultimately to manage and prevent cravings. I don’t think you wll fall back into your old ways , you have come too far !

That was a lovely post to read Julz, not waffly at hall ! Great to hear you are feeling so well ! It’s working !

Hello and welcome georgiejeorge ! You are so young ! This is absolutely the right time to address your health . I faffed about and dabbled in all sorts of cranky ‘diets’ before I sorted myself out ! As you transition to low carb you shoudl see some significant changes in your blood sugar readings.Can you monitor it to keep you accountable ? I am glad you have your partner on board with you as it would be tricky trying to manage different food choices. You are safe with us georgiejeorge…..and feel free to ask any questions. You don’t need to feel embarrassed or ashamed of anything.

I think the hunger is to do with the carb overload and withdrawal but stick with it. Your body will adjust.

Hi Olive ! So pleased to hear everything is going well .Like Bryla and Julz you can inspire our new members.I am absolutely with you in believing that this woe has to come naturally so you don’t really think too hard .Remember it’s about not feeling deprived of anything because you want other fresh, whole foods.

Hi Puddy ! Well done on your success ! Good to see you checking in because you did once say you sometimes go quiet ! Your restart has gone really well so please stay and share with us .It’s hard to say whether your July holiday will go ahead . We have accepted we have to put things on hold for a while .

Hi Dreams ! You are sounding positive and motivated too and you are getting to grips with your tendency to make excuses..brilliant !
    Two birthdays on the thread this week !
    Georgiej will be 27 on Thursday ?
    What day for you , Dreams ?

So pleased to see the thread thriving, despite the obvious disruption and hoping that we can help keep you all motivated !

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great result Puddy. I’m sure you will hit that final target, indeed probably most of it will disappear over the next 5 weeks.

Dreams, that sounds like a sensible plan. Take it a chunk at a time, get one issue addressed before tackling the next one. Have a great birthday and keep us posted on your progress.

• posted by EC
    on

Hi everyone and thanks for the lovely welcome….and yes, Wendy I’m the under-kunanyi dweller (thank goodness in these times-such a solace!!)
    Had a great 1.5 hour long walk this morning so feeling recharged and motivated!…..though like you, Dreamscometrue I’m finding the end-of-day glass of wine hard to resist!!
    MM recipe for Thai fishcakes with salad and aubergine for brunch-it’s been a household standard since my last go at this-I make a triple batch and freeze them

have a great day, everyone and stay well!!

on

EC I had to look up Kunanyi and it looks amazing! I bet you enjoy your lovely walks 🙂 I also love having a dog to walk (I have a labradoodle) and it makes you get out of the house and up and moving even if you do no other form of exercise that day.

Wendy my birthday is also on Thursday, 30th. It’s funny: I already knew a few other people with the same birthday and now Georgie – and of course Captain Tom! What an auspicious day! Happy birthday for tomorrow Georgie if we don’t “speak” before then, and well done on getting back into your BSD journey.

Good luck this week everyone X

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi all
    I’ve been lurking in the shadows for a few weeks now and I would like to come back into the light if you’ll accept me. I’ve been awol for nearly 2 months now and I’ve undone what I had achieved – I’m back where I was at the beginning of January. I have been trying to watch my carb intake and have had some good weeks but mostly not good weeks which has led to the increase in weight and sadly blood glucose too. I’ve lost count of how many restarts this is – so no point in putting a number to it – but I would like to be a part of the determination and positivity on this site. I weigh myself on a Monday and my weight this week was 16 st 6lbs. That’s 1lb heavier than I was on 2 Jan. Overall I’m 1.5 stones lighter than my heaviest so I want to get back onto a downward trend rather than go back up.
    Well done everyone that’s been discarding and maintaining – you’re doing really well. Good luck to newcomers I look forward to sharing the journey with you.

• posted by Mel_H
    on

Hi everyone,
    I have decided that my slow and steady weight gain of the past few years has to be addressed as covoid lockdown has accelerated it enormously.
    Reading your posts is inspiring and has made me very determined to do this again and get my weight and diabetes under control.
    I had massive success 4 years ago doing the BSD, losing 20kg in 12 weeks. I am however right back where I started all those years ago.
    In NZ we have just come out of level 4 lockdown. I have been feeding my 3 hungry boys during this time and it seems that I have adopted their eating style.
    We are now in level 3 so school went back today for the first time in 5 weeks for a few children. I have volunteered to be one of the few at school to teach our essential worker’s children and see this as the perfect time to start doing something about my weight. I am now out of the house. Back at my workplace so it looks like we might have to do some fitness tomorrow in my class 🥴

on

Good to see a lot of names I recognise and some new members too. It seems that a lot of us now feel we can take time to concentrate again on our goal. It’s good to be amongst like minded people. There are a few of us returning who have let things slide and have taken the step of dusting ourselves down and starting again. Woo hoo for us. Anyone new to this way of eating is in for a nice surprise. It works when we follow the science, Loads of advice and top tips and encouragement on the forum and a really healthy way of eating, not feeling hungry and weight loss.

Am firmly in ketosis which I love because I don’t feel hungry when I am in ketosis and feel in the zone to lose my excess. There are a lot of determined people on this thread and the positivity is oozing so let’s do this together. My goal this week is to get back in the 140’s. My original goal was 133 which I achieved but couldn’t maintain. I successfully maintained 138 for over twelve months and now find myself in the 150’s hence why my clothes are too tight! I plan to enjoy this journey week by week and step by step.

One thing I learned when I got to goal the first time is that it really doesn’t matter how long it takes to get there. I hope that inspires you. It is not a race, it is a way of life. I am annoyed with myself for letting my anxiety about Covid get the better of me but I am proud of myself for facing up to the reality, the weight gain, the loss of self control and for having the courage to admit it and get back on the wagon amongst great company and inspiration. Thank you everyone for your encouragement and kindness. We are actually all working hard to achieve our goals at a very difficult time indeed so hats off to us all. Keep safe and keep strong.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

No-one is turned away here, Gattina and as rhe sating goes, it doesn’t matter how many times you fall down, what matters is how often you get up. So, climb back up on the wagon and let’s go! You know the results you can achieve and you have the tools you learnt before, so hopefully you will soon be reporting good things. But of course we’ll be here to encourage and support if needed.

Mel_H welcome to you too. You are sounding focused and positive and like Gattina, you already have the tools to achieve the results you desire. We’ll be here to acknowledge progress and offer assistance as needed. Please do keep us posted on progress and shout if you hit a problem …. someone will offer support.

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Hi all, it’s great to be here. I’m Rosyapple, it’s day 3 and I’m trying to follow the 8 week BSD, I only have the recipe book. The first 2 days flew by but today things are feeling a little tougher. I had to get up at 5am to babysit a mid wife’s children before school. I got really hungry around 6 and managed to put breakfast off for half an hour. This makes sense to me but I got stupidly hungry around 9am, feeling wobbly and shaky. I had to eat, I calmed myself with miso soup and 5 Brazil nuts! I don’t have diabetes but I do have PCOS. Does anyone know if this is something I should expect often or will things level out?
    I would say that I’m having around >1,000 calories a day due to slightly larger protein portions and milk in hot drinks. This is due to living alone, enjoying milk in my drinks!, packet sizes and shelf life of things I can’t freeze. Should I be curbing this? I’m currently 14.6 stones at 5’4″. and want to see good results, of course!
    Any thoughts welcome x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello Rosie … welcome to the weekly thread. I can assure you it does get easier! It’s completely normal to get a bit wobbly in the early days, as carb withdrawl kicks in. This will subside in a few days though, so hang in there.
    If you can get the calories closer to the 800 that would probably be a good move. As you restock your groceries, do so with BSD friendly foods and try to shop so that you don’t need to use things up too quickly. Yes milk is okay, but do include what you consume in your daily calorie and carb allowance.

I’m sure others will be along to welcome you and offer nuggets of advice. Feel free to ask questions and shout out if you need support. We’ll be rooting for you!

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Thanks SunnyB, I’ll look more closely at the plan for next week and consider these first 7 days as prep! I’m using the menus in the back of the book and they don’t seem to account for packet sizes and use by dates so I’ll have to do some modifying. The milk in coffee issue is going to be a tough one as that’s a favourite thing of mine!
    All said and done I am already feeling better in myself, I think I am very intolerant of carbs.
    Rosyapple x

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Hello and welcome Roseyapple. Just a couple quick things….
    I dabbled in this way of eating for quite a while, but if I’m honest I was above the 800 calories all the time. I saw some improvement and habits improved but nothing significant. I have my self a kick 9 days ago and committed fully. I could everything and make sure I’m no more than 850 cats per day. It’s actually been easier bring strict as I literally don’t snack so there’s no temptation to have just a little bit more, I just don’t let the options in. I was previously having an apple here, a yogurt there, some pecans too, maybe some raisins….. it escalates and adds up. Being strict is easier and I feel better and seeing results (easy to say on day 9 haha).

Secondly I was the same with milky coffee…. it was adding to my calories and preventing my fast being as effective – I don’t eat between dinner (approx 7pm) and lunch at 12:30 the next day. After some advice on here I braved black coffee with a bit of added salt – I know what you’re thinking – I stared at it for ages before trying to drink my first one. Shock horror – it’s really good!! Satisfies me, I have 2 in the morning and make it through to lunch no problem.

Good luck – it’s a great way of eating and you’ll get some great support here.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Evening All,
    Am having a hungry day today. Think I’ve eaten too little, and perhaps a too big proportion carbs as I had some sweet potato with my lunch. So I’m taking mental notes and some full fat yoghurt to correct. Fat is our friend here! For me it works well to take a chunk of cheese or some full fat yoghurt, but I’m doomed if I would take some bread. That just triggers more hunger and cravings.
    Tomorrow I will aim for a bigger lunch with more protein and fat.
    Learning by doing!
    Think it is important to acknowledge that there is not one solution that fits us all. Try what works best for you and adapt your own strategy.
    All the best!

on

olive-1
    Cheese and yoghurt are good for hunger pangs. I sometimes have a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter, the meridian brand, not one that contains sugar, it really helps fill a corner. Sometimes I have a cup of coffee with cream and that too can be filling. A hard boiled egg is another great filler if your feeling peckish, once you get into fat burning you won’t feel as hungry. That is one of the best things about following a low carb diet. As soon as I eat anything like a cracker or crisps my hunger monster roars for more. I’m keeping him at bay and staying low carb. I’ve lost 3lb so far this week!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Just before I get going I just wanted to wish…..

a HAPPY 27TH BIRTHDAY to georgiejeorge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Dreamscometrue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and a HAPPY 100th BIRTHDAY to Captain ( now Colonel) Tom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have the very best day you can and remember if you are unable to celebrate with friends and family today as you would have liked, that day will come !!!
    I will be back later xxx

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Thanks Windy Julz for your tips. Hello all! Day4.
    I have planned my own menu for next week with an allowance for milk. Despite not having been strict these first few days I have lost a couple of pounds. I have decided to weigh myself on Mondays and Thursdays. I’ve also ordered a copy of the diet book as I only have the recipe one, I want to ensure that I’m not missing any tricks.
    Have a great day and stay safe x

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi everyone. Great to see the thread busy!

Julz- like you, I ended up finding it easier just to be strict with myself and remove any guess work. Olive – I love your “learning by doing” observation. That’s exactly it. We are all finding what works for us through experience.

Rosyapple- I live alone too, so I know exactly what you mean about shelf-life and portion sizes etc. The recipes are great inspiration, but I found that I quickly found favourites, like broccoli and/or cauliflower mash or whatever combo of green veg with melted butter or cheese that I could use in many meals with my protein. Fish, poultry, meat can all taste fab without too much interference, but with perhaps a bit of seasoning, garlic, chilli etc. Almost anything will go in a stir-fry with a bit of our favourite BSD-friendly flavouring. If I use what I’ve got, rather than sticking to recipes, there is no waste. I learned to weigh and cut down that turkey steak or fish fillet, rather than just accepting what came out of the packet! We can always have a mezze-style meal to use up any leftovers. I found that once I’d kicked out the carbs, everything tasted so much better and I could really enjoy fresh food without doing anything too fancy too it! Halloumi and goats cheese are great for protein and fat if you like them and last ages in the fridge. Unless you dislike eggs, they give you endless possibilities. Loads of ideas in the recipes section here and on Diet doctor and the wider web.

On the coffee subject, I’m another convert to salt in my coffee! I tend to have one cup a day with a splash of cream (heavenly!). If I really don’t want black coffee, I now substitute milk with some unsweetened Almond milk. It doesn’t taste the same, but I find it tasty in its own right and I know it’s easy on the calories. I have also learned to like green tea – you can get it with some lovely flavours, if you prefer (plenty of caffeine in that). Even if I don’t like something straight away, I find that if I persevere for a few cups, my taste buds adapt and I begin to appreciate tastes I would have rejected previously. I think of it a bit like weaning for adults 😆. You will find what works for you, Rosy, over time. It’s not a race and it never has to be about depriving yourself of pleasure in your food and drink. I think it takes most of us weeks/months to feel comfortable with a new food repertoire.

Love to everyone!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Bryla – “weaning for adults” – 100% right, that made me laugh and totally identify. Also reminds me of when i learned to like red wine – i dont think anyone is born liking it but with a good tutor and some practice a good taste for the finer things does happen – those were good days!! I may need to delve back into the world of fruit / mint tea…. Ive tried before and just cant get excited about it. Worth revisiting.
    Roseyapple – glad you have seen some pounds discarded, that will help your motivation, and you will learn how to tweak the plan to help. Ive found the whole thing so interesting – in terms of taste, habits, mentality and self discovery. That helps as “mistakes” are just learnings and I can be fascinated by the whys and hows and how to develop.
    I think reading the MM books is a great idea over and above the recipes, again it helps with understanding and rationalising whats going on and how to try things which can help. Time restricted eating is a great tool…. and much easier than you would expect – it becomes habit very quickly.
    I’m a lot like Bryla – i use the recipes for inspiration but dont really stick to them – I adjust to use what i have and what i like. At the moment, being new in to being strict, I am eating very similar things and (as someone who is not a routine person) I’m actually finding the routine and lack of decision making very comforting.
    Wishing everyone a calm and happy thursday.
    WindyJulz

on

Morning all!

Thanks for the birthday greetings Wendy! Have a fab day Georgie X

Some great progress on here and brilliant ideas. “Weaning for adults” made me laugh too – and that really is what this is all about isn’t it? Just getting used to new ways of eating: ways that are better for us than what we had been on before.

Definitely also recommend the MM books as you get motivated and inspired. It just all makes sense.

Must dash now as OH is cooking (BDS-friendly!) breakfast.

Have a great day everyone and will check in again soon X

• posted by SunnyB
    on

🎉🤹🏽‍♀️🎉 Happy Birthday Georgie, Dreams and Captain Tom 😀🤗!!! Hope you all have a wonderful day, no matter how you end up celebrating.

“Weaning for adults” was both amusing and spot on! Once the adjustment is made though, think we are all amazed at the difference it makes to our tastes and approach to what we consume.

The advice about adjusting recipes, menus and meal plans is spot on. Don’t feel you need to buy ingredients you won’t use up within it’s shelf life, because it really isn’t necessary. Keeping things simple is the best approach I think and my advice has always been to ring the changes by making friends with herbs and spices as using them in different combos keeps things interesting. For instance, a simple spice rub on a piece of chicken can really zing things up or a knob of rosemary butter on some veggies perhaps. One of my favourites at the moment is dry mango powder with crushed cumin and turmeric.

There is no need to spend a fortune on expensive ingredients or stuff you will waste, to get to where you want to be.

on

Happy Birthday Georgie and Dreamscometrue – a 2020 birthday will certainly be one to remember! 2020 will be in all the history books and we will all be famous. We are fortunate to be able use technology to bring us together so I hope you both have a lovely day.

• posted by Gattina
    on

Good morning all
    Happy birthday Dreamscometrue and Georgie – hope you have a lovely day 🙂
    Thank you for the welcome SunnyB – it is always a bit daunting coming back but even though my tail is hanging down between my legs (mostly due to the added weight!) my head is held high. I have to do this for my health and I have found the support on this site so helpful in the past that I know it will be what I need to get me back on track.
    In the past having meals prepared in the fridge really helped, already portioned out and a plan of what I would eat for the whole day. I would sit and work it out on MFP to make sure I had the right number of calories, carbs and protein. As a vegetarian it is a challenge making sure I get enough protein and not push the carbs up too much and having everything pre-planned made it so much easier – when I did get hungry I knew exactly what I would be having for my next meal so I didn’t have to snack in between. So today I’m going to plan and prep meals, I have lots of lovely veggies in the fridge and the freezer so no excuse!

• posted by Timetochange
    on

Hi All. I’m in my second week of Fast800 will be 2 weeks on Monday coming. Total lost so far: 8lbs and pretty thrilled. I am a long time faster and did 5:2 originally but often found that I ate more than I should on my non fast days though I did achieve a good weight loss overall. Subsequently I had periods of dabbling and losing a bit of weight here and there. Over the past 12 months my weight had been creeping up and since July 2018 I’d gained over 1.5 stone. What started to really concern me was that I was eating more and more potatoes and bread and seemed to struggle to eat them sensibly. I’m loving the eating plan. I’m full of energy and not at all just hungry that settled in a couple of days. I’m doing TRE and have 2 meals typically eating my first around 1pm depending on work meeting calls that I might be on. Having done the fasting thing before this is a breeze by comparison. I said one day at a time and that helped me mentally. Now I’m thinking in weeks. So my plan is to do week 3 then re assess. Great forums. Seem really supportive.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello Timetochange …. welcome to the weekly thread. It sounds like you have made an excellent start and have a plan moving forward. I personally find TRE really helpful too and it seems to be helping you too.

Do shout out if you hit any problems and someone will offer support and please also keep us updated on your progress …. we love to celebrate too!

• posted by Timetochange
    on

Cheers yes I will. The forums seem great and very supportive. Best wishes everyone.

• posted by EC
    on

happy belated birthdays Georgie and Dreams CT-and happy May all!!

I reiterate Gattina and the others that planning and having a stock of known recipes helps enormously-I bought an upright freezer a couple of years ago -as a mum of five (now grown) I find it easy to make big batches and freeze or refrigerate.
    Miso soup is another go-to for me. Spiral foods make a vegetarian dashi stock and I add heaps of veg with the seaweed and tofu – also add a tablespoo of tahini with the miso paste at the end which makes it beautifully creamy and much more filling (sort of sesame miso)

I’m also reminding myself that it’s OK to feel hungry for a while and can ignore it much of the time. So so far so good back on track…..not sure if the Friday night wine will be resisted, but maybe! 😉

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Morning everyone, 😊
    thanks to all who replied, your tips and ideas are much appreciated.
    I’m looking forward to my book arriving as I feel a little in the dark. Though I have managed to pull a 880 cal menu together for next week it took a long time and it’s going to work out pretty expensive. This is not helped by not having a car at the moment and my nearest supermarket being Waitrose. I can’t face carrying a weeks worth of shopping any further but I am eternally grateful that I have no real worries bigger than this during this strange time!
    As I live alone I feel like I’m on a weird holiday for one !! I must say it does help not being able to pop in to shops willy-nilly as far as temptation is concerned and I’m already used to not keeping binge worthy snacks in the house. That doesn’t mean I haven’t eaten them though, they just didn’t hang round long enough to take up root in my cupboards !!
    I’m in PMT right now, l SHALL survive this without chocolate !!
    Have a lovely day, whatever you’re doing, 🌹🍏

• posted by Gattina
    on

Good morning all – hope everyone is well. It’s Friday and we’ve made it through another week of lockdown – hope you’re all coping OK. I’m pleased that the PM will be announcing a plan to come out of lockdown next week (I live in the UK) – it will be a long and slow process but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    Yesterday I made a pot of chilli and portioned into containers – I had one last night, one for the freezer and two in the fridge to be eaten over the next few days. I have washed and prepared salads for today and tomorrow and have logged all my food for today on mfp. When a craving strikes I’ll know when my next snack or meal will be and I’ll just make myself wait! So far so good…
    koko

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hello everyone Wendleg and SunnyB too
    I checked the scales today and I have put on 3kg since 15th March. I’m definitely going to cut out the high carb stuff for the next week until I see a difference.
    I have high fat yoghurt, frozen blueberry and raspberries, broccoli soup, and plenty of salad vegetables.
    I’m going to cut out the bread, potatoes. I have been cooking and baking several days a week and my waistline shows it!
    For me, it’s all about fine adjustments to my wide unrestricted food choice, and low carb carb is a short term fix that sorts me out.
    For others, it’s a permanent change. But vive la difference!

• posted by Puddy
    on

Well that was interesting. I have ended up doing a 24 hour fast. I always do 16/8 but today had a zoom Barre class at 13.00 so decided to eat afterwards. Then. Wasn’t hungry and decided I’d wait until I was hungry. Now it’s time for evening meal. So that’s 24 hours without any worry at all! It will be interesting to see how I feel tomorrow, and whether it impacts weight loss.

• posted by Timetochange
    on

Interested in whether many people just have dinner as one single meal in the day. I’m
    Finding that I can go longer in the day before lunch so thinking I can just push it and then have more calories to eat. Curious?

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone, been off track for a bit, but ready to get back to it. I’ve been stressed at work (was at home, but back in the office as of this week) and my asthma continues to plague me. This week it was triggered by all the Lysol people are using at the office. Going to have to put a stop to it in my corner at least. The meds have been messing up my sleep and making me hungry. I’m going to use the weekend to try and get it together again. Made quite a nice palak paneer tonight for dinner, and have lots of eggs and veggies in at the moment, so no excuses. Depending on how I feel, I may try a week of 800 calories per day next week to try and kick start some weight loss again.

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Morning all! Day 6,
    despite not having stuck to 800cals a day – more like a thousand+, I feel great! I’ve much more energy to the point where I did some digging last night . My midriff and waist has shrunk a bit too and I can also see weight loss from my face, my cheekbones are a little more defined. I feel less emotional and more clear headed despite PMT 😊 The cravings are subsiding and so are the hunger pangs. Amazing!
    More digging I think….
    Have a great day everyone 🌹🍏

Please log in or register to post a reply.