ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning April 21st 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello everyone !

I just can’t believe it is already time to set up the new weekly thread but here we are !
    No need to explain the content..you know what we do and it was heartening to see people checking in and continung to support each other ( even when I get a bit distracted with school commitments !)

So let’s just carry on , offering a safe , sharing space for those who need a bit of help to stay on track , or just to come and say Hi !
    Everyone is welcome , you know that ! If you have been quiet for a while, that’s ok, too. Just pop in when you feel able to .

Wendy and Sunny xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

My day started well as I attempted to make my first batch of fermented veg ! I decided sauerkraut would be the safest option and my babies are happily fermenting away in the kitchen ! I will keep you informed of their progress, hoping they don’t explode !!

Then it went downhill from then on as the messages started coming in on our school platform. So many queries to answer now the ‘holiday’ is over.
    I will do my best to be as available as I possibly can , folks . Once the kids get stuck into their work it should calm down !

Let us know how you are doing !

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thank you for again taking the lead on the weekly thread, Wendy. Of course, I’ll be along for another week and hopefully lots of others will be joining us too.
    Pride goes before a fall, as they say, so having reported being bang on target at one point last week, I begin this one wìth a bouce back on the scales, at 2lb over target!
    Bit frustrated by this, but in the scheme of things I know it’s not disastrous and with a careful approach, I should be able to pull this back during the coming week.
    Please do come and join us here, so that we can support each other in achieving our goals. But whether you decide to post here or not, keep in keeping on, be kind to yourself and stay safe.

• posted by Bryla
    on

Thanks, Wendy and Sunny. I’m in, as always! I have no idea where the last week has gone. I’m beginning to wonder how I ever found the time for ‘normal’ life! I indulged in a garden snooze this afternoon after the hound unusually getting me up at 4.30am for a comfort break. I couldn’t drop off again, so what luxury to catch a nap after lunch.

My indoor cycling is going well. I’ve had plenty of motivation for a good pedal twice a day, however I am taking a break this evening due to a slightly tender derriere! I dug out my old gel cycling shorts yesterday, but since they are now far too big it felt like I was wearing a rather full, saggy nappy and didn’t confer the level of comfort I was hoping for. I am looking on it as a positive that I no longer have as much ‘natural padding’ to protect me 😆

I haven’t weighed myself for a while and feel I’m doing quite well with trusting my judgement about portion sizes etc. I’m pleased about that because I really do want this WOE to feel increasingly natural and not to be preoccupied by controlling my intake as rigidly as I have until recently. I might jump on the scales in the morning for interest, but I’m feeling pretty confident that my spare tire is remaining in check, which is probably the best and most important marker for me.

I feel sure you will see off those 2lbs this week, Sunny!

Wendy, I hope that workload will settle for you again as your pupils get back into the swing of things.

Looking forward to hearing everyone’s updates.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hello all. I’m in.

Thanks Wendy for setting it up and good luck with the schoolwork. I retired from full-time teaching last summer and am so glad not to have to do that any more!

Good luck Sunny with those 2lb! I had hoped to discard 1lb last week but it didn’t want to go. Though at least it didn’t bring any more friends to the party. So I will give it another go this week. I fully confess to not being overly disciplined at the moment but I do hope to manage to achieve some loss this week.

Well done Bryla with the bike. But ouch to the sore derriere! Maybe see if there is indeed any kind of padding you can put on the saddle? I’ve actually started my online workouts, and even did some weights yesterday too, so there’s a bit of progress going on …

Hello to everyone else reading this too. Stay well everyone, and keep in touch X

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Hi peeps, I’m in for the week.
    So Ive been good sticking to low carb, no easter treats, no bread, pasta, rice, occasional very small potato and occasional oatcake…oh adn some alcohol….calories certainly been too high though. I’ve also not been on the scales – not sure if it was protection or denial……and I’ve upped my exercise.
    Today however, I braved it and stood on the scales…… and to be honest i’m a little disappointed…. I think i knew i would be but decided having a look wouldnt actually make me any fatter or thinner so it was time i took stock. It has had the desired effect and upped my motivation. It has also helped me explain to the hubby that although he thinks ive been good, I really have been eating too much! He genuinely thought i was doing well, and was almost convincing me that i was looking a touch leaner, but nope, I need to do better….and i can. Annoyingly he has a hefty appetite and an amazing metabolism so is naturally lean even though he’s a gannet. He’s starting to understand that i can cant eat the same ass him. Hopefully anyway that is me back in reality and I will be able to see improvement by next week. In the interest of full disclosure….. 12st10….. I would love to be under 12st….heading toward 11st….. here we go! I might tone down the exercise a bit so I dont convince myself i have earned extra or indeed make myself super hungry!
    Have a good week all, stay safe.

• posted by Bryla
    on

Well done with the extra exercise, Dreamscometrue! Definitely progress.

On that theme, WindyJ you mentioned you’d upped your exercise. Could some of the gain be more muscle developing? If your sense is that you’ve been eating a bit too much, then no doubt you are right, but there might be other, more positive things going on too? I found I had gained 2lbs when I weighed myself this morning. But, since I’ve added an extra 60-90 minutes a day of exercise over the same period and I can see that I’m already getting more toned on legs, bottom and even waist, I wonder if some of that is muscle…. Perhaps I’m being overly optimistic on both our behalves, but I’ve also learned from some of our very experienced friends that it isn’t and can’t be all about the scales. Either way, well done for braving the scales and don’t beat yourself up!! You can do it, especially with that motivation boost.

Just off on weekly trip to deliver supplies to my parents. The whole procedure is quite time consuming, so a fringe benefit is that it helps me pull off a 24h fast, which I haven’t been able to do when I’m home all day.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Hi Bryla, I think it would be too kind to think it was all muscle development – Ive been running rather than gym style stuff so unfortunately I think i have just been over eating. I have broken a load of habits and can see the way forward and where my weaknesses are, I just need to implement and get it done. I know it is achievable….. I’m still struggling to believe I can do it though, feel like I am just supposed to be on the cuddly side and that i have a fat persons mentality…. I’m trying so hard to change that!
    I certainly wont become scale driven but to see some regular progress would be good, I probably will only weigh in weekly as i know how much it can fluctuate.
    Its great you are seeing a difference tone wise – that is motivational in itself and the 2lb gain is really neither here nor there in the big picture, surely just a wee fluctuation.
    Keeping busy is the way forward, I have today planned out so hopefully i can report in tomorrow having managed to make it through the evening munchies with no giving in! Going out for supplies is for sure time consuming and to be honest a bit of an ordeal i find. Hopefully you get through it no bother and can wave to your parents whilst delivering.

I’m off for some midday sunshine on a horse for my ‘lunch break’!

• posted by NikkiA2307
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’m a middle aged secondary teacher starting the BSD today.
    I’m enjoying looking through all you posts and taking in the tips.
    Nice to meet you all! 🙂

Nikki

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Hi Nikki, you are in the right place doing the right thing. Check in here whenever you need some support – these guys are great!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Good evening all and great to read your posts. I have done overtime this weekend feeding our nation by doing my bit. I have been good on the food front but I did have a few sherbets at the weekend.😂. I weighed in today and I have discarded 3/4 of a pound! More than thought but not as much as I wished. But drinking never helps unless it is water. I am struggling with the water intake and this time last year I found it so easy to drink up to 3 litres a day no problem! I will continue to up it. I am also trying to fast as I feel I need to do it to get my body reset. I haven’t eaten since 6.30pm yesterday and I am just going to see how long it lasts. If I get any bad side effects I will break it straight away, but for now I am feeling ok. I know this is the best way to kick start my body.. so nice to meet you Nikki and as windy said welcome and you are in the right place to get your health to a much better place. Hope you all have a great evening and Wendy my lovely thank you for keeping us going.

Much love to you and keep safe🤗🥰 Birdy💞🦜

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone. Much of today was taken up with discussions and debate following the decision to allow French schools to progressively open from 11th May. Lots of uncertainty.Schools are not yet prepared .I remember seeing a jokey picture of teachers wearing full PPE in the staffroom.Now it doesn’t seem so improbable !! Parents too are anxious so we will see how things progress in the next few weeks. We won’t have full classes, only 15 kids at a time but how do you get them to respect the distancing and hygiene rules ?

I am not panicking, just hoping that common sense will prevail !
    As you see Nikki A2307,I am a middle aged teacher too ( retiring after this school year and it certainly is a very weird last year !) I am a much healthier ( and smaller) version of myself than when I began Fast 800/BSD at the beginning of term in September 2018. No more yo yo dieting , I have finally found what works for me and this is the way I will eat for ever now. So welcome and all the very best to you . Just shout out if you need any advice or are concerned about anything.
    Dreamscometrue, I feel sort of semi retired already ! One of my dreams was to go away for a break In September but it looks like that may have to wait for a while. Still , I will have many more Septembers ! Well done on getting your exercise routine started !

I think you are right Bryla, you are naturally transitioning to a rythm of healthy eating and enjoyable exercise that you can sustain. Weigh yourself if you must but don’ t get too hung up on the numbers if it affects your mood.
    Sunny, I know you will get where you want to be ,and the numbers matter to you but you understand the inevitable fluctuations
    WindyJulz I think you are doing really well so don’ t be despondent. You should be proud of your achievements ! I think part of the battle , in fact the major element in success is to change your habits long term so you no longer crave the rubbish. You are well on the way to achieving that. Yes, exercise is for improving mood and promoting a sense of well being ( not to store calories for a treat 😉 Can you try some Time Restricted Eating, just simply skipping breakfast for example ? It’s important to experience a true feeling of hunger so you can relish your food and not graze or go overboard on the portions. My strategy is to include one or two 36 to 40 hour fasts during my week and that keeps me stable.
    No, you are not destined to be cuddly ,Julz !! What is a ‘fat person’s mentality ‘ ?? Is that a way of excusing excess or secretly convincing yourself you will never succeed ? Of course you will !!! Set yourself short term goals to lead you close to that 11 stone number . It’s about your health, remember Julz. Don’t compare youurself with your hubby . Let him do as he wishes and focus on yourself ! Look at Bryla..she has changed her mindset !
    I hope your shopping trip was not too arduous Bryla, and that your mum and dad are safe and well.

Hope everyone is safe and well in fact …take good care and pop in when you can xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Birdy !! You and your sherberts !! What are you like ? ! 😉 I know you are focused and determined though and you always know how to get back on track .

I didn’ t always drink enough water but I am much better since I found a simple app on my phone which reminds me to drink water ! I get a little tinkling sound on my phone ! It does what it says on the tin and is called Drink Water Reminder .

Lots of love and I am so glad you are back with us xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great to see so many people still focused and determined to achieve. It’s sounding like everyone knows what they need to do, it’s just a case of converting intention into action😁 … not always easy I know!
    Glad to say the scales were a bit kinder today, but will hold off saying more on that, until the week is done.
    KOKO everyone 😀

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all,
    A new week – how fast time is going.
    I’m happy to say that my Easter gain of 1kg is gone. Was actually down 1,5 kg on Friday but then comes the weekend… Now after eating like this for months the motivation to stay strict in the weekend is getting harder I think. A small glas of wine becomes 2, a snack jumps into my mouth…
    This weekend was also first opportunity to harvest rhubarb and I made some compote which is not really possible without sugar 😊.
    But I’m determined to keep going.
    Have been doing TRE on most weekdays by just postponing breakfast a couple of hours. Am now contemplating the next step to skip breakfast altogether, giving me an 18 hour fast. I’m so impressed by those of you who can manage 24, 36 or even 40 hour fast. How does it affect your energy levels? I’m afraid I will feel faint.
    So nice to read about how you all get on, both the good and the slightly less good – it just shows we are all humans. No faceades that shows the perfect life needed.
    Keep well and take care!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Well yesterday was a good day – totally on plan, logged everything and proud of myself. hahaha.

I have been doing TRE for a while, or trying at least only i think the multiple cups of coffee with cream was cheating and the evening meal kept creeping out so the fast was getting smaller. Now i have discovered black coffee this can be improved, and i drink the black stuff slower and less frequently so win all round.

Wendy thank you for taking the time to shove me the right way. It sounds like you are doing great with the stress of uncertain times, very difficult with teaching and reliance / effect on children, parents and all the differing people and bodies who have input to the system. You will have some stories to share in your retirement!
    I have definitely started changing my habits, you are right, and now hopefully i can tweak it enough to make some real progress. Im not being rude re the fat person mentality…. its a bit tongue in cheek, but i seem to be wired to think about food almost all the time, I am sure ‘slim’ people arent wired like that. To be honest, with some reflection, perhaps its not a ‘fat person’ thing….its more likely that i have been trying to combat my weight since i was 14 and feel as though i have been either depriving myself or being bad that whole time….this presumably has some kind of effect on my mental relationship with food. But when i’m thinking about food all the time i do feel like i cant success and maybe i just do try to convince myself I will never succeed. Thank you for having faith that i can get through this……I really do want a sustainable life change.

Oh Olive rhubarb…. there must be a BSD way of using it……. I have no clue how though! Good work on fixing the easster gain!
    I can manage an 18 hour fast ok…… do wonder if i could make it to 24hrs…… its probably just a habit (lunch habit) that needs to be challenged….. might give it a try at some point….think i need to stabilise what i did yesterday first though.

Have a good day

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi WindyJulz,
    I also recognice this feeling of different mentality towards food. There are those who can sit in a meeting room and not even notice the complimentary sweets or biscuits, or those of us who can only think about how to get the next one without looking silly.
    I do feel as this WOE, with focus on low carb, is helping getting rid of some of the cravings, but it takes time to change that mental state.
    Let’s keep on!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Oh Olive that made me laugh – totally, I would be staring at the biscuits wondering how long is an acceptable gap before the next one! I have certainly been able to make steps towards changing that mind set and if i decide at the outset that I’m just not having a biscuit then i worry about it less than if i think ‘i’ll just have one!’
    It is interesting – i do wonder how much is hardwiring, how much its how we’ve grown up and how much is due to any stress or anxiety we have around foo or indeed how it relates to self sabotage and the relationships we have with ourselves.
    Its all a work in progress for sure…. I just have days where it seems too hard – and days like today when its going well, I realise how silly that sounds…. it shouldnt be hard to take care of ourselves and choose only to put good things in our mouth.

• posted by freester
    on

Just agreeing with the post above. I don’t seem to have a full up switch, probably to do with the carbs / sugar.

Also part of my success was a change in mentality. I successfully gave up smoking many years ago by getting rid of that ‘missing out’ feeling and changing that to a ‘feeling good’ feeling that I’d got rid of the habit. I’ve done this with the BSD/Fast 800 WoE as well. I don’t miss what I can’t have and enjoy what I can.

I think the first few weeks it’s easy to be resolute. Then as I started to succeed a few weeks in I started to notice how much rubbish was lying around the desks / kitchens at work. I managed to not be tempted by applying that ‘not missing it’ thought.

I’m now maintaining after starting back in Jan but still have to apply that. Never goes away fully but when it does come occasionally I have to boil the kettle for a green or black tea to send the pangs away.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi Freester,
    I really like the analogy with quitting smoking. The pursuading voice saying “only one isn’t bad” or “everyone else can, so why can’t I” doesn’t sound so good for a cigarette now does it?
    WindyJulz, there must be a lot of hardwiring involved. I know that growing up food (mostly sweet) was a reward as well as a comfort. This keeps popping up and has nothing to do with hunger. I just sometimes feel I need something. Often a cup of tea will do these days, or a square of dark chocolate (but that is a dangerous road for me).
    I should try to actively thing about “feeling good” rather than “missing out”.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Olive !
    Well done on your progress ! Just a word about the effects of fasting and what happened with me.I started off doing 24 hour fasts so working through dinner one evening to dinner the next .This worked well while I was at school and I honestly never had any ill effects.
    Now I am at home I was aware that it wouldn’t be so easy to fast but I have commited to doing it once or twice a week. Most often it is 36 hours which sounds a lot but once you get to 24 hours you are pretty much there as then you go to bed and add a few more fasting hours when you are sleeping. It always surprises me that I can go to bed on an empty stomach and wake with no raging hunger. I have never found hunger to be unbearable. The gurglings and rumblings pass pretty quickly and nothing terrible happens.You must keep hydrated though and I add a bit of salt to water or suck a few Maldon salt flakes.
    Just work up to what feels comfortable. Just skipping breakfast or eating that first meal a bit later is great too, as you are doing.
    It is quite liberating to experience true hunger not just a need to snack out of boredom or stress and you can really appreciate your delicious meal. No problems with energy levels for me, in fact they improved .
    I remember when hubby was in hospital this summer after a fall and several broken ribs.I was going in every day, not eating during the day, just drinking loads and eating something simple and fresh when I got home in the evening. Despite the obvious stress I was dealing with , my energy levels went through the roof to the point where I was getting up at 4.30am and racing through various chores before I set off to the hospital for the day. Seems incredible now as I don’t get up before 9am !

I will reply to the comments about mind set too xx

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi all fasting is amazing when you get it right and the longer you fast the more energy you get. I broke my fast last night but I think it was more out of boredom than anything else. This is a hard time for me at the moment as I have switched to hunter gather mode and mummy mode!! It means I am looking out for my son and my partner and not for me!! I can’t seem to take care of myself!! I need to sort it out. I have had more time at home but have found that my energy levels are at rock bottom and taking on more shifts at work means my body clock is all over the place too. I keep remembering this time last year and how my mind set was and it was great. I really didn’t crave anything and I work in a supermarket and you can imagine all the temptation around me all the time and I didn’t crave any of it at all. A year later and I can still say no when I am shopping but with this lockdown I am buying extra food and some of that is a real no no but I say it is for my son and partner but once it is in the house I can’t seem to resist it! So so hard but I want my mindset back from this time last year!😢

I think what I need to do is clear out my cupboards again get rid of all the crap! I need to find a completely new routine that fits into this present isolation and suck it up😂😂. I so want to be the size and weight I was last August and I even have my before and after pics on the fridge which remind me every time I go in there of what I was and what I achieved. I think that is the only thing that keeps me a little on the straight and narrow! I have only gained a stone in weight but it is my body shape that is different now and not in the good way. I cannot believe how quickly my gut has come back! Considering it was the last thing to go down!! I know everyone’s bodies are different and we discard fat differently but me it was my face first then my shoulders and feet and then my tummy! Wired or what.

I want to fast like I did before as like I said my energy levels were endless! I can’t even get my breathalyser to register so I know I need to do it to get back into ketosis. I have just eaten bacon and sausages and I am going to try and fast for the rest of the day and overnight at work tonight. Let’s see if I can get this body back into it.

Lovely to see so many of you posting and I know that as I am back on here it will help me. You guys are invaluable.

Love Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Oh Birdy, I feel for you reading that. I know i have a switch that when it is the wrong way i just want to eat constantly and when its the right way taking care of myself and fasting is easy. I’m WAY newer to this that you and I struggle to keep the switch right for more than a few days….. I am determined not to let it flick back this time tho! At least you know you feel better when you are on track and that knowledge and a bit of grit will help you flick it back! It is hard times, and its easy to say to be kind to yourself, but what I’m getting the more i learn is that kindness is not cake and sugar! Its clean fresh food – you know this for sure! I hope you can find the way to get back to it….you sound like even just by posting you are getting yourself there!
    Thank you for sharing your feelings though….. it helps us newbies see that the mental aspect is common to everyone adn that there is a way through it. It is not all an easy ride but we can do it.

Freester – i like your method of just trying to focus on the ‘can haves’ and ‘will haves’ rather than letting the ‘cant haves’ creep in to my mind…. should help with focus! I am now actively stopping myself looking at food videos etc on FaceBook – that is a horrible marketing tool and really manipulates the mind!!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

I have said this before so I am a bit boring but I am convinced that we have to make friends with food and not fear it ! We have been wired as serial dieters to constantly think about food, precisely because most diets require us to make choices which make us feel deprived …only a bit of rice, one potato, a small Milky bar etc etc based on calorie deficit which we have saved up for a ‘treat’. Of course that makes us think about food all the time, and can only ultimately lead to a blow out as just a few carbs explodes in to a full blown sugar binge.
    My mind set began to change when I discovered that I didn’ t feel deprived of bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc in the least. I don’t even think about them, and definitely don’t crave them. I do feel bereft if I have no lettuce or greens though ! I think I have said that already 😉
    I think there is a shift in attitude towards healthy and harmful foods too which happens in time. I am always conscious of needing to nourish myself with fresh , whole, unprocessed foods. That has transitioned into a rejection of empty, highly refined sugars and processed foods.
    I would add that right from the beginning I completely cut out those sweet, snacky carbs and that all or nothing approach worked for me.
    Freester, you seem to have cracked it and understand that you really are not missing out on anything.
    I know it’s easy to say as a non –smoker but how can we feel we are missing something that is so harmful to our health ? I see poor quality foods in exactly the same light. THEY ARE NOT FRIENDS.
    Sorry Birdy, not meant to make you feel bad. You know how I feel about the monster fags !!
    You will get there, Olive ! Don’t ever believe that you will never succeed or that it’s too hard to get rid of the hard wired habits…you can and the freedom from that will be wonderful. You will be able to pass over the sweets and biscuits with no effort whatsoever. There will come a time when you would rather eat nothing than eat rubbish.
    I am going to reply to Birdy now xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Mindset is so important, but not always easy to control or maintain, not least because many of us are fighting a lifetime of conditioning. Finding a way to make our inner dialogue positive can be a struggle, especially when something has knocked us off kilter.

For me, that’s when the forum becomes a life line, providing support – straight talking and/or a virtual hug as needed.

Good to see people swapping their coping strategies and the determination you all have to succeed fizzed off the page.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Birdy …you know exactly what to do and you have the strength of mind to know that this is the time to stop the rot and think of your well being before it becomes too hard to manage.
    I understand about nurturing your son and partner but are you really nurturing them with sugary cakes and other ‘ no no ‘ foods ? If they want them, then ok ,if you feel compelled to buy them but find a space in the kitchen where they are not easily visible to you.You don’ t need them, you know that and you know how rubbish they make you feel . You can allow your son certain ‘treats’ but they should be for him.
    Are you kidding yourself that you are buying them just for him and your partner 😉 when you really want them in the house for you ???
    You have a lot on your plate, trying to look after everybody, adjusting to this disruption and lockdown, working nights , poor sleep patterns etc.
    You need to look after yourself, Birdy !!!
    That starts with nourishing foods . Sort out those foods. Find a box for the rubbish if you must buy it and keep it out of sight but most importantly ..stock up on the good stuff. You did it before and you can do it again. Remember how you felt in August, buying lovely frocks and looking a million dollars !!!
    You can do it Birdy ! Remember that you can choose , you can get back in control but you are making it hard for yourself right now by allowing yourself rubbish.
    Get your men on board and ask them to support you.Tell them you will only buy a few treats if they really have to have them but you are going to focus on making healthy, nutritious food for the three of you, that will be filling and satisfying and not cause those sugar slumps and energy dips. Plan the meals together, get them helping you !
    You are going to be FA …BU… LOUS again Birdy, I have no doubt ….but cut the crap 😉
    Birdy understands I am not being offensive, she is a dear friend 😉

• posted by wendleg
    on

That was a bit of straight talking folks but you should know me by now, it is always done with the best intentions 😉
    I just want to convince you all that you will succeed , that this works.It’s not easy , nothing is but the rewards are so worth it . Your health , your health !!! Remember that …
    xxxx

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Wendy you know I don’t take offence and I love your straight talk🥰. Thank you my dear friend. You are always there for me and I really appreciate it. I am going to get focused and I am going to get back on track! I want my ketosis sticks to be dark dark pink and I want all that lovely energy I had before. Windy thank you for your kind words. Today is the day for me. I have coloured my hair pink and it feels great. I have had a lovely dog walk and got a great picture of all the bluebells in the woods(wish I could share it with you ladies) and I am going to go to work on an empty stomach and hope that I don’t feel that grogginess I have been feeling for the last couple of weeks when my body is trying to get rid of the crap.

Here to a great rest of the week and me getting back into ketosis.

Thanks guys ❤️❤️

Love Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Wendy, thank you, your words are so helpful and i relate to a lot of what you say so it gives me hope. I think I am on my way to a similar mindset, at least i hope I am. Have been off rice and pasta for a long time now and definitely do not miss it, it actually holds zero appeal and just looks slimy! The last time i had bread i was really looking forward to it and it was a huge disappointment and Ive hardly thought of it since. Chocolate I’m now not fussed about, but i do think i need to keep totally clear as a little would lead to a return of a desire for it. So where are my issues – convenience snacks I think – crisps, oatcakes etc still appeal but i will just need to put them out my mind and start to make negative associations with them. Chips will always be my down fall i fear…. i would like to get to a maintenance stage where i could have chips (would be delighted with home made regular or sweet potato oven baked chips) once a week….but maybe just maybe this desire will leave me as i continue with this….. as Sunny mentioned its conditioning, we can be re-wired. Like the idea of being friends with food, not in fear. Sharks in Finding Nemo – “fish are friends not food” my new mantra – “food is friends, not fear!” Green is good, fresh is good! I’m definitely focusing on the good stuff Im going to have as opposed to the bad stuff im not “allowed” – in fact its not that Im not allowed it, its that it wont help me and I dont want it! I got this!

Good luck Birdy – you sound like you are in a much better place than even a day ago!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Crikey the days are racing by and I don’t feel I am being that productive, oh well !
    Still spending a lot of hours getting work on line.We are supposed to return to school on the 18th May but the latest news is that parents can decide if they sendt their child or not …so I could end up continuing with the diatance learnign and going in on certain days too. Things can change though …and there is still a lot of apprehension.

I have been venturing into the dark art of veg fermentation 😉 Actually it ‘s quiet simple but I still have a few days to go before any tasting so I will keep you posted ! I started with the simplest sauerkraut.
    I hope everyone is staying focused and postive. Hubby’s blood tests have revealed he is in the prediabetic range so I am on his case! It’s not so much his foods …it’s the evening drinky poos ( port, gin and tonic, whisky, wine ..he is well stocked !) He has agreed it is important to stabilize his blood sugars so I feel confident things will improve and it gives me someone to boss while I am out of school !
    Only joking ! Take care everyone and believe in yourselves

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi JGwen, a very healthy reminder to keep the carbs as low as possible, even if not focusing on weight loss during this time.
    I think about it as my way to fortify myself against the worst effects of the virus (if/when I get it) and am trying to get the family on the same path -as much as possible.
    Have a great weekend to all!

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

JGwen- thank you for posting the interesting article which has definitely given me something to think about and was perfectly timed to coincide with my reboot of BSD. The Covid 19 Pandemic threw me into a panic. I lost the plot for a few weeks diet wise resulting in a half stone weight gain and am now feeling in a better position to tackle the weight gain and get myself back on track. I’ve read that being obese is a risk factor for not coping well with Covid so what better incentive To lose the weight and to give myself a fighting chance. I have started a further 8 week BSD regime and hope to lose 1stone to get me back at goal.

Birdy, good to see you back. I think there are a few of us tackling kilo creep so let’s all do this together! We did it before so we know it works and we can do it again.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi CC,
    Don’t beat yourself up for falling off the wagon for a while. – I did the same, every visit to the stores ended in something high carb ending up in my trolley. At least there are no more hot cross buns in the crates by the check outs. The wonderful sunny days have brought with it the opportunity to spend some time sitting outside with a good book while the dogs race around the garden. So thats less calories burnt than normal. I realised that my waist measurement had increased so it was time to get firm myself.

When I look at the horses and sheep they are all geared up to put on weight during the summer when grass is plentiful and live off their fat over winter. – Historically we did the same. So don’t feel too bad about needing to restart. I expect that normality for me will always involve a cycle of life changes mean I put on some fat and I work to discard it again.

I read an interesting article that apparently is by an American doctor who is a researcher . He suggested that one of the features of the virus prevents red blood cells from effectively transporting oxygen within the body. He suggested that a high sugar diet results in deformed red blood cells, hence the link between obesity and the impact of the virus.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

JGwen- I am sure like me and you there have been others too who have struggled with sticking to this way of eating during the course of the Covid pandemic scare. It really was a curved ball and I was shocked at how badly it affected me! I didn’t have any hot cross buns or Easter eggs (despite having bought four Eggs for my neice and nephew and son and his wife) but I’ve eaten crisps and two almond croissants and pain au raisin! I am firmly back on the wagon now and fasted for 24 hours yesterday and am back in ketosis today. I’ve had coffee with cream for breakfast and celery and Stilton soup for lunch. 1.6 lb gone already.

I am going for my daily hour’s walk later so hope to clock up a few steps in the park. I’ll be passing a little Moor hen friend who has been sitting on her nest four four weeks so her chicks should be visible soon! I’m taking my binoculars,

So back to it JGwen for me and you and a few others. I do actually enjoy getting the control back in my life. I hate it when I let myself down and feel out of control. I DO NOT WANT TO WEAR TIGHT CLOTHES!

Keep on plodding everyone. Perfect opportunity now to plan, walk, cook and eat well. By the time we get back to new normal, we might be a good few pounds lighter. Stay safe everyone.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! That is a really positive post CC and I am sure it will inspire many who are feeling a bit despondent right now.I am with you on the control thing. It definitely helps to think that there are things we can influence and so avoid feeling totally overwhelmed.
    Fear, anxiety, the need for comfort..they can all drive how we eat but we really must be good to ourselves and make healthy choices.
    You didn’t let yourself down, CC.You just reacted to the fear and you understood what was happening and you were able to respond.
    These are tough , very unsettling times but we will come through and when that time comes we want to be positive and in a good place, not feeling awful that our health took a step backwards.

Thanks as always JGwen for the references. Very interesting reading indeed.

My experiments witth fermenting veg continues.I have attempted carrot today with cumin seeds.I don’t normally eat carrots but the shop bought fermented carrot I bought showed a very low carb count so I thought I would give it a go.I can’t wait to try with other veg too. I busy myself researching and reading and learning from people who are much more experienced. There’s a lot of trial and error involved at this stage !
    I am looking into making more environmentally friendly cleaning products too, after clearing out the space under the kitchen sink. I am having a serious re think about priorities ..
    Still waiting to see if school will be ready with all the necessary sanitary precautions in place for the 18th May ( 11th for primary schools) I have a telephone conversation with my doctor tomorrow to see what she thinks. I am so close to retirement …

So if you are feeling down, as if you are losing the plot right now, just shake off the negativity and look forward !!
    We all understand the pressures and stresses and how easy it can be to just not bother at the moment ( because we deserve some comfort, right ?? ) As CC says, you will definitely feel so much better if you just make a decision to get back on track. Small changes, small steps, whatever feels manageable.

I am staggered that Monday has come around again so quickly so it will soon be time to set up a new weekly thread. We look forward to hearing how you are coping and don’t forget , the support is here if you need a reboot moment !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !

Just to let you know I have set up the new weekly thread and hope you wll join us !

One Week at a Time beginning April 28th 2020

See you soon xx

• posted by Timetochange
    on

Hi All. I’m in my second week of Fast800 will be 2 weeks on Monday coming. Total lost so far: 8lbs and pretty thrilled. I am a long time faster and did 5:2 originally but often found that I ate more than I should on my non fast days though I did achieve a good weight loss overall. Subsequently I had periods of dabbling and losing a bit of weight here and there. Over the past 12 months my weight had been creeping up and since July 2018 I’d gained over 1.5 stone. What started to really concern me was that I was eating more and more potatoes and bread and seemed to struggle to eat them sensibly. I’m loving the eating plan. I’m full of energy and not at all just hungry that settled in a couple of days. I’m doing TRE and have 2 meals typically eating my first around 1pm depending on work meeting calls that I might be on. Having done the fasting thing before this is a breeze by comparison. I said one day at a time and that helped me mentally. Now I’m thinking in weeks. So my plan is to do week 3 then re assess. Great forums. Seem really supportive.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi Timetochange and welcome!

It sounds like you are doing really well so far. I also find TRE is very effective, and easy to stick to once you get into the groove.

Just to say the latest weekly thread is now the one beginning April 28th so do check that one out too as there is lots of activity there, and people in a very similar position to you.

Well done and keep going X

• posted by Timetochange
    on

Ah yes I see that now. Thanks I’ll post on that thread. Cheers

Please log in or register to post a reply.