One week at a time beginning 8th June 2021.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Let’s keep going throughout JUNE , folks !

Some people have been a bit quiet, some have returned after a stressful time, some have been celebrating great successes . Family gatherings and other temptations can get in the way a bit but the important thing is to accept and enjoy the moment and then rein in the carbs when the celebrations are over ;–)

There is room for everyone and you will be made to feel very welcome so just pop in any time .

It’s never too late to make a difference to your health and well being .

Looking forward to a good week for us all !

Wendy, SunnyB and sunshinegirl xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

The list keeps growing !!

wendleg, Sunny B, sunshine girl
    JGwen
    sixturkeys
    Starina
    Verano
    ADD6605 ( Dawn)
    Riccoh
    Russianroulade
    Tulip1 ( Clare)
    Mifoz
    MerryMelba
    Maryanne Carlos-Mascarenhas
    WindyJulz
    articfox
    Olive1
    lauraknits
    Marsie (Marilyn)
    EllieAllegra
    EC:Erin
    Hello66
    Jordana
    Alipetunia/Alison
    RubyG and hubby
    Ditchedthemet
    Dizzychicken
    SlinkyTinks
    LonelyAdipose
    Emzijw
    Barefoot girl
    Life Diet
    allicat1A ( Allie, formerly alliecat !)
    RedRooster
    nhatha3432
    sprox
    skittle
    Daisybean
    workingfromthe fridge
    Bombalone
    PSL68
    ScottM
    florobo85/Lauren
    Tamara1
    MillieMoo/Claire
    SummerTwinkles/ Summer
    Sheila Canning
    JustKeepFasting
    Bryla
    kiltgirl
    Deb2003
    Donnadoobie
    HappiR
    WilLuck
    PaulaZ
    Faithlyn67
    Onetowatch
    nicnocgee
    Smead01 ( Samantha)
    Goforgoal
    Britta
    Mokovex
    DebOflo
    Riverrock
    HopefulinOz/Donna
    Quetzal
    Onnipinoy
    Magicbean
    Pashasmum
    avisamuelgrey
    scotsgirl57
    Annamarieboo
    peanutbutty
    erinmc82
    Kat2020
    xx1flump1xx
    Ncij678
    LizzieTOFI
    Jeremy Fisher
    Melly83

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi all, thanks for another new thread Wendy

So report back on family gathering, it went ok but I felt very unsure of myself and out of sorts all day and it was absolutely exhausting. Craig and I absolutely crashed on Wednesday, and I couldn’t pick myself back up so by Friday, back on antidepressants so I’m furious with myself now as I’d come off them and was doing ok. Feeling absolutely pants at the mo side effects etc. So still off sick 😞 – plan for this week is just sleep, rest and try and get past the worst of the side effects to go back to work next week.

Good luck for the week ahead all

L x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Can hardly believe another week is kicking off, so thanks for the new thread Wendy.
    Lauren, glad to hear that your family event was about as good as you could expect and didn’t meet your worst fears. There is no shame in using the tools available to you, to get through this rough time. Please don’t focus on getting back to work next week, focus solely on you and what you need for your well being. Huge virtual hugs are winging your way.

As Wendy said, regardless of your current situation or status, please feel free to join in here. We always try to offer a warm welcome, encouragement and advice where we can. We have all of us stumbled, been forced to review etc, so someone here will understand your situation.

My current status is a bit of a question mark. Have been away over the weekend and although I did my best to keep a rein on what I consumed, however alcohol did feature so I’m definitely expecting a gain on the scales tomorrow morning. Will report back tomorrow, meanwhile, if you’re hesitating, just jump right in!

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Thanks for getting the new thread up and started, Wendy, SunnyB and Sunshinegirl!
    Tulip, thanks for your story at the end of last weeks thread. It made me feel a lot better – I could never handle that type of temptation around me everywhere – that must be so difficult!!!!!
    Surprisingly, my really poor lack of willpower never ended up showing on the scales. In the three days since I ate all that, I have gone on to discard a further 800 grams…..what? Given that weight loss has already seemed rather slow for me, I certainly wasn’t expecting that. But am grateful nonetheless – it means I am back on track to meet my maintenance goal by end of this month, fingers crossed. Exactly 3kg to go.
    Another far more enjoyable lack of willpower I have had lately is shopping for clothes. Now, I never thought I would write that – in fact, I have never enjoyed shopping for clothes before this WoE, rather I have always dreaded it. It started out of need (can hardly go to work and have my skirt fall down!), which suddenly turned into ‘It really would be a wise investment to have three new winter coats in different colours for different outfits’. Hmmmm….. I do love them though 🙂 Who is this person who looks forward to going shopping and is picking smaller sizes off the rack than she has ever picked up before, and sometimes finding in the change rooms that they are still too big and asking for a smaller size again? I feel like I am in the twilight zone……but I really, really like it 🙂

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Hi all,
    Thanks for starting a new thread. It’s always lovely to hear how people are doing. It’s such a supportive group.
    Since last Monday I’ve lost 11.25 pounds!!!
    I know from my earlier loss in January, this seems to be the pattern an initial rapid loss and slow and steady. It is such a motivating start. We are on holiday this week, so trying not to be tempted by sweet treats and drinks. Am tracking all that I eat and I think I mentioned, I’ve even brought my scales. We have been doing lots of walking and cycling, so hoping that might redress the balance of any potential damage.
    The good news is that I’m in my healthy BMI range (just) for the first time in years. My next goal is just to get under 11 stone. As it stands I’m on 11.0.25, so am desperate to get into the 10s. I haven’t seen them since about 2014. So fingers crossed I can get down into the 10s this week.
    Have a good week all and keep on, keeping on.

• posted by Green and White
    on

I’m glad to be back and trying to lose weight. I started the Fast800 Mediterranean regime yesterday, and still in it today! 😀
    Although I gained half a pound yesterday, I feel less bloated.
    I’m hoping that some of my arthritic pain will diminish in my hand, a sign I’m not as young as I used to be.
    Stat’s…
    M53, 6ft, 99kg.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Checking in for duty, I haven’t been posting much as work is doing its best to take over my life – somewhere I need to find my work-life balance again and look after me.
    Diet perspective – hubby and I are more-or-less maintaining our weight , without tracking, but want to push again for a loss by the end of the month.
    In some ways I am feeling pretty good about this, as I have been in the top 11st bracket for a little while now, and and when I first dropped below 12st I felt great, having dropped from nearly 14st when I started. Now, though, I’m starting to notice the flab a bit more, having forgotten what I felt like at 14st, so I definitely want (and need) to lose a few more lbs.
    I have been trying to think more about what is on my plate, in terms of variety, seasonal fresh low-carb veg, colour, and something fermented every day.
    I still struggle with portion control of nuts, so mitigate that by having pistachios in the house, as by the time I’ve got into them my brain has satisfied itself, or my single Brazil nut with milk kefir as a nutritional supplement.
    Jab number 2 yesterday – I drank a lot of water last night and took 2 pre-emptive paracetamol when I went to bed, and so far I feel OK.
    At least the sun is shining in the UK, everything feels better with sunshine.
    Keep going everyone, and have a good week!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Russian, that is an amazing loss …. well done!
    G&W, I’m sure things will settle and you’ll be seeing results on the scales soon, so just keep going.
    Ruby, no shame in maintaining even though ideally you’d like to be losing, I’d consider that a positive result especially if life is hectic. You have both been very focused and reported great results, so I’m sure you’ll soon be back to basics and seeing more pounds discarded.

In the interest of transparency, I weighed in this morning at 3.5lbs above target. This means the indulgences over the weekend, have brought me to my upper maintenance limit. However, pretty confident that the 1.5lb increase since Friday, will be despatched in the next couple of days, by just returning to my usual maintenance regime. Still don’t have the focus to return to basics to get back to target … pathetic I know … but for now I’m content to accept that failing.

Well it’s sunny here, so I’m going to get out in the garden and get my hands in the soil. Enjoy your day everyone.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Managed to reach my 75kg goal though I did get down to 74.8 but it is back to 75kg today. If I weighed weekly I wouldnt have seen that 74.8 so that is one of the downfalls of daily weighing although my weekly weight is the one that really counts. Need to lose another kilo before doctors on 18th (brought it forward a few days) and now hoping for even more. He would be pleased at 75kg as that will be 1kg down from last time but I like to shock him into believing in my diet. Even though I have kept my BG number in normal range whilst seriously reducing meds he is still sceptical about diabtetes reversal and who can blame him with my never reaching that magic goal but I am still determined. Maybe his surgery’s medication bill will impress him as I have halved my cost by cutting my meds right down. Every month my insulin costs €45 which is paid for by the health service, this time I dont need a renewal as I am hardly using any so will save €45 x 3 (3 months prescription). Maybe he should share it with me 🙂

on

Whoohoo 97.6kg this morning, and that was after a lovely meal Mrs G&W made from the book, the night before: chicken kebabs. Also zero alcohol will really help me both avoid calories and the munchies.

• posted by Garmcns
    on

Hi one week at a time folks, newbie here from Oz. You sound like friendly bunch. I seem to think of the next 2-3 days, probably not week but they are racing along quickly. The reward for me is feeling better, sleeping sounder and surprisingly not looking for a nap. Bought the fast 800 easy recipe book and look forward to mastering cauliflower rice. Anyway’ keep on with the effort, mindset and goals’ folk wish you all well, cheers

on

Hi everyone. Just been reminded by an old friend from way back on this diet that we are coming up to our 5 years anniversary. I have just looked on Sparkpeople where I used to do a blog when I started this diet and it was a bit of an eyeopener. I ate so much less than I do now. When I reach my anniversary date I am going to publish my Day 1 blog. It might be of interest to newbies as it shows how frightened I was but how determined. I am also going to go back through the food diary I kept and reproduce it and following again starting from Friday after I have done my weekly shop.

This also raised the question as to why I am still here on this site and contributing to threads after all this time. I stay to help other people as I worry about diabetics not getting the right advice although that is not really the case now as there are people here who know what they are talking about. Although, having said that I cant think of any other oldies who are in that category. Where are you all. I also stay because I still have some way to go to reaching both weight and diabetic goals. I lost 25lbs in the first rounds of the diet and I am around that now give or take depending on the weekends. So I would really like to push to get a few more goals under my belt.

Have a good week everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by RubyG
    on

Revisiting your blog sounds good, I’m sure many of us on here would love to hear your starting thoughts, you have certainly provided me with much inspration and advice on the forum, and thank you!

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

S-G – that would be so great to hear your old blog posts! I, for one, find that having more experienced people on the forum such as yourself is so inspiring, and you bring a lot of wisdom and understanding and common sense to your posts. I am so glad that you are still on here – you bring so much, and I am really grateful 🙂 5 years is such a wonderful achievement. I bet you can’t wait to see the look on your doctors face at your next appointment!

Garmcns and Green&White – welcome 🙂 I hope the first few days have gone smoothly for you?

Russian Roulade – what incredible losses. Given that, even in my best weeks, I have only lost 1.2kg, I can’t even imagine losses of that size. You must be thrilled!

I have had a fun few days doing more research. I have been fascinated by the science and literature regarding this way of eating / LCHF etc. Yesterday I was watching a fascinating talk with Prof. Tim Noakes, and came across his book ‘The real meal revolution – Banting 2.0’. I have only seen the food lists and general premise so far (I have ordered the book), but it looks like it lines up fairly well with this WoE, especially once you hit the target weight and can move beyond the 800 calories.
    I also watched two BBC productions – called ‘Fixing Dad’ and ‘The Fixing Challenge’, about two sons who decided to help their father with Advanced T2 Diabetes. Through weight loss, dropping the carbs and starches, exercise etc, he had amazing results. Again, this was all completely compatible with this WoE. Thinking of getting my Father in Law, who has T2 diabetes and yet eats more carbs (breads/buns) and ‘canned fruit in syrup’ than anyone else I know to watch it, as he sits down with his nightly bowl of ice cream!

on

Thanks HopefulinOz
    Still in there – I usually quit before day 3 – now on day 4 and have lost a couple of kg.

on

Hi everyone, yes I will republish my blog when it gets to my anniversary on 28th June. Will put it on a separate thread so as not to dominate this one.

Well done G&W. Still with us and doing great.

Nothing much to report except that I have gained 0.4 kg over he last 4 days at a rate of 0.1 per day. When I consider the amount of exercise I am now doing I am quite disheartened. Hubby says I always gain some weight when I start swimming. Well I am sure it is not muscle so must look carefully at the connection. Maybe my snack of some meat etc might be more than I normally have plus a few nuts. I am going to count and log everything for the next couple of days. There has to be a reason.

Keep on keeping on everyone and I will do the same. Only 8 days to doctor day.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Try not to be disheartened SG, 0.4kg is not huge in the scheme of things and I could be wrong, but I’m sure JGwen has posted about post exercise gains before …. something to do with muscles repairing? Anyway, I’m sure that small gain is nothing to worry about and you see the blip upwards on the scales disappear again soon. KOKO

on

Thanks Sunny but I still think I maybe eat a little more than normal to counter the shakiness when I get out of the pool. Not been in yet today as it is so hot and there is no shade over the water. Later. I also have an historical gain cycle most weeks on a Thursday when I have only had omelette for dinner on Wednesday but always nick a few of hubby’s chips. It will sort itself out and I might just get a whooooooooosh!!

• posted by Chrissybabe63
    on

Hi,
    I’m on day 6 of the fast 800. I have felt quite breathless and have finding my usual level of activity quite hard. I understand I have to drink plenty of extra water. I walk 1000 steps a day and have been doing 45 minutes of yoga.

On a positive note, I’m finding the recipes easy to make and very tasty and what has surprised me is that I’m not feeling too hungry between meal. I have no scales so will have to judge weight loss by assessing if my clothes are a little roomier.

on

Do Friday morning here in Queensland and my fifth weigh in. Now 96.8kg, so 2.2kg so far. Using the recipes from the book, so evening meals are delicious and filling. Not feeling restricted at all.

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Well done G&W!
    Chrissybabe63 – I don’t recall ever being breathless when I changed to this way of eating – is it worth maybe having it checked out by a doctor?
    So after 13 weeks on the 800 calories, I have made a decision to increase my calories to anywhere between 900 & 1000 calories per day. I am not yet at goal weight, but have made great progress and have only 4kg to go after losing more than 11kg. It is getting really cold here in Australia, and we happen to live in a really cold house, and having lost a big chunk of fat I feel cold ALL the time. And, despite keeping carbs really low (<20g), I am quite often left wanting more at the end of a meal and just not feeling entirely satisfied. I think that is why I have had a few ‘slip ups’, and started craving sweet stuff again. I have also realised that on the few occasions I have had sweet things, even if they are keto and I still keep my ‘net carbs’ reasonable (due to the massive subtraction of sugar alcohols), I still feel really yucky the next day or two and it is like I go back through the carb flu. So for my own sanity, and to keep the sweet tooth at bay (with hopes of getting rid of it entirely), I am hoping the additional healthy fat will assist. I have a hypotheses that since this still keeps me well below my TDEE, all it could do is slow down my weight loss…..that said, if it keeps me on plan rather than diving into ‘sugar free’ chocolate, I might just reach my goal a bit more quickly. 🙂

on

Hi everyone, dropped back down to 75.1 so still on track of 74kg by this time next week.

G&W still with us. It is a great diet plan and the good losses are so self motivating. Chrissybabe, I havent heard of anyone getting breathless although it is possible to just feel totally yuk when you body starts to crave carbs. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water to combat what we call ‘carb flu’.

Hopefulinoz, I wonder what you consider cold. When I first moved to Oz we would be going to the beach when it was 25 degrees and the Aussies thought we were mad. When I flew back from Oz to live in the UK I didnt even own a coat, just a long style cardigan and there was snow on the ground as it was February. Here in France we have around 30 degrees at the moment and likely to get hotter over the next week and that is okay, We find it too hot when we reach the high 30’s and 40. Stay in the house with all the shutters closed. Brits cannot understand when we say it is too hot to go out or too hot to swim, they would be lying by the pool toasting but we dont do that.

Weekend is arriving and I have to be super good to reach my goal so keeping on…..

• posted by Chrissybabe63
    on

Thank you for the replies. I am happy to report the breathlessness has subsided, I don’t think that helped that I marched down to my gym for a yoga class and live in a very hilly area. I felt dreadful ( very tired and listless) on day 5 and I think it’s what you describe as the ‘carb flu’ as I felt much better the next day. I am continuing to do at leat 10,000 steps a day plus a gym class. I am trying to keep the fluid intake up which for me is the hardest bit. I have not really got that much weight to loose, maybe around 10Lbs as the most so just aim to do the fast 800 for two weeks and then move to 5:2 and just do the 800 calories two days a week.

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Hi all.
    I well and truly fell off the wagon yesterday. I was trying to stick to my 800 cals whilst I was on holiday and had been maintaining my weight loss. However we saw some family yesterday, who we haven’t seen since Christmas and we had curry and a lot of wine. I’ve just weighed myself and I’ve gained 7 pounds!
    There’s not much I can do about that now dnd perhaps it was a bit ambitious to try and stick to things whilst on holiday.
    So back to 800 cals tomorrow. I’ll be much stricter over the next week and hopefully can drop the 7 pounds as quickly as I did the first time.

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Never fear, RussianRoulade, almost all of it will be water weight…. to gain 7 pounds of actual fat you would have to eat something like 24500 calories past your TDEE – no matter how much wine and curry you had, there is no way that that happened. Your body is clinging onto the water weight after eating carbs and drinking wine, and that will drop over the next few days. The way I see it, this way of eating is only going to be truly sustainable for most of us if we can have these occasions where we celebrate with friends and family at dinners, events, birthdays and don’t fear what we are eating/enjoying/being served. We can always fix it over the next week because we know we have the tools that work for us 🙂 I hope you have a lovely holiday away.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

RussianR, Hopeful is right, you really haven’t done as much damage as you fear. Just get back on track and you will see things adjusting downward again. Friday and Saturday were evenings of indulgence for me and the scales blipped upwards this morning. As we will be away visiting friends next week, I’m going to be super strict over the next few days.

So, if enjoying a bit of off plan indulgence has resulted in a panic when you’ve weighed in, take a deep breath and aim to get back on track ASAP. Those gains will soon be history, so don’t waste time beating yourself up for being human and stepping off the wagon for moment.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend folks.

on

Hello everyone, on the subject of RR – see how your name has got shorter. I am often just SG – shows you are one of the gang. Besides what others have said about water weight and getting back on track, maybe this can be a learning curve. Yes you will do it again, we all do on special occasions but next time you might plan what is going to happen if you have a blow out. For example, drink a glass of fizzy water between each alcoholic drink – you will still enjoy the buzz as fizzy water pushes the alcohol into the system faster. I know it is not to get that feeling but just to kick back and enjoy. Only eat half the amount of whatever carb or have the rice but not the poppadum. Just give it some thought and be more prepared and armed with some tricks for next time. Now forget about it.

I too was very tempted last night and had just one small v&t then stopped. As I had it at 7.30 I still did TRE from 8.00pm and no breakfast (brunch) until 11 am. So 15 hrs TRE. Back down to a clear 75kgs but still 1kg to go before Friday.

Had a swim in the morning yesterday but left it too late today. It was already 29 degrees when we sat outside having brunch and now I am in the house for the rest of the day. I am still getting on with my oil painting, after about 20 hours I think it will be finished some time this week. Another 3 or 4 hours. I am also starting a painting course I have bought online. I used to do a lot in watercolour but was taught lots of techniques in a nightclass I used to do. Things like how to get ripples on water or how to get dappled sunlight – all using brush strokes or other techniques. I seem to have forgotten and find it hard to try again so I think the course will help me get back my old skills.

Weekend nearly over pals. If it is very hot where you are then take care. Stay out of the heat and drink plenty of fluids. Our neighbour just told us her son had a heart attack whilst cutting the grass in the hot sun. He wasnt even pushing a mower or doing anything too difficult as he has a sit-upon. Just the heat and possibly the cigarettes too. He is okay.

We are waiting for Boris’s announcement tomorrow and will decide whether we are going on a trip to England. Doesnt sound too hopeful. Love they way they can have dinners, barbeques and host guest and we are stuck. C’est la vie.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone. Sorry I have neglected the thread this week. I am logging all the new members so the list will be updated..and I wanted to say welcome !
    I have enjoyed catching up with 3 of my former colleagues, retired English teachers. Glad to be part of the club now ! We used to have a get together every few months but lockdown put paid to that until this week when I produced lunch in the garden with a good old chin wag ! I don’t usually go for any keto style substitute desserts but I tried a raspberry cake with ground almonds and dessicated coconut. It went down well. I didn’t add any weird alcohol sugars (can’t even spell them !)as the raspberries were sweet enough. So an indulgence but interestingly I didn’t have any adverse reactions or wild cravings. Eric Westman says (in the book I am reading ) that if you have been low carb for a long time you can increase carbs without the cravings and sugar slumps which are often a feature in the early days. I can certainly go for hours without suffering hunger so something has adjusted in my body.
    I did a couple of fasts this week and will try another this week.
    As SG has said ,temperatures are soaring here and even after 30 years it can be wearing. Thank goodness aquagym has resumed ! My new playlist went down well which was nice as I spent a long time compiling it !

I am concerned about Lauren who was still struggling. Just want you to know we are thinking of you Lauren .Come back when you feel up to sharing but sounds like you need rest and recovery time.
    Clare are you ok ?
    Sorry I haven’t replied personally to everyone but I will catch up. Hopefullinoz you are a wise woman.and you talk a lot of sense. 🤗. I’m totally impressed by SG and her dogged determination. Don’t let the numbers get you down …well I know they don’t for long…and keep swimming !
    Yes,waiting for Doris to make his announcement tomorrow, not expecting good news but I think I am resigned to staying in France this summer and hope to see family in the UK when all this uncertainty has gone.
    See you all tomorrow,folks !

• posted by RubyG
    on

I too have neglected the thread and the forums in general the past week – busy working week and then spending a lot of time in the garden and outdoor projects in the evenings while the UK weather is co-operative 🙂
    We are both sort-of maintaining, not tracking anything and eating much more than 800cals but no appreciable carbs.
    We both want to push for a working week of 800cals starting today, to get into the bottom half of the current stone by the end of the month, which should be do-able.
    Have a good week everyone, I’ll keep an eye out for the new thread.

on

Hi everyone, still dithering around 75kg. It seems to be my bodies settling point although that used to be 78 so I know that once I get under I will reset.

Nice surprise today. First of all my swimming costume which was new at the end of the season last year, no long fits me. Too big. Just back from buying new shorts and was also happy to try on my usual size 44 (UK16) and they were too big so I went to get a 42 (UK14) and they didnt have any so I tried size 40 (UK12) and they fit. They do have an elasticated waist but Im not going to knock it. I have also found some summer cotton trousers in the back of the wardrobe that I can now get back into. The 2 pairs of jeans that were too tight are now relegated to my winter wardrobe so dont know if they fit or not but not bothered just now.

Enjoy the good weather and stay safe.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Great new on the smaller clothes, SG ! I admire you going out to buy clothes though in this heat ! I am enjoying wearing my summer dresses , Vinted bargins as you know !

Hi Ruby G ! I think we all have stuff going on at the moment , my week has certainly been full on but it’s time for a new weekly thread and we would love you to join us again .

Must keep an ear out for what Boris decides tonight

See you on the new thread !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Blinkin eck !! I just set up the new thread but it didn’t register so I have to start again ! For once I didn’t save my text , grrrrr !

I will try again, either my laptop or the site playing up

• posted by SunnyB
    on

SG, great result on the clothes … a definite win!

Please log in or register to post a reply.