One week at a time beginning 2nd March 2021…on we go in 2021 !

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

There we have it . We survived January and February !! March begins today and with it comes renewed enthusiasm and motivation with sun, blue skies and blossom .

I feel a March reboot is in order to keep my excessive behaviour in check . It does feel good to have light streaming through the windows to lift our spirits !

I hope you feel the same determination and renewed energy . There is a lot more positivity coming out of the Uk right now and that’s great . Not quite the same here in France and we all have to continue being cautious and looking after ourselves .

Wherever you are in the world, come and say Hi . Welcome to new contributors from last week. Remember there is a wealth of support and experience on here and our friendly members are just the best !!

Wendy, SunnyB and sunshine girl

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here we are

wendleg, Sunny B, sunshine girl
    JGwen
    sixturkeys
    Starina
    Verano
    ADD6605 ( Dawn)
    Riccoh
    Russianroulade
    Tulip1 ( Clare)
    Mifoz
    MerryMelba
    Maryanne Carlos-Mascarenhas
    WindyJulz
    articfox
    Olive1
    lauraknits
    Marsie (Marilyn)
    EllieAllegra
    EC:Erin
    Hello66
    Jordana
    Alipetunia/Alison
    RubyG and hubby
    Ditchedthemet
    Dizzychicken
    SlinkyTinks
    LonelyAdipose
    Emzijw
    Barefoot girl
    Life Diet
    allicat1A ( Allie, formerly alliecat !)
    RedRooster
    nhatha3432
    sprox
    skittle
    Daisybean
    workingfromthe fridge
    Bombalone
    PSL68
    ScottM
    florobo85/Lauren
    Tamara1
    MillieMoo/Claire
    SummerTwinkles/ Summer
    Sheila Canning
    JustKeepFasting
    Bryla
    kiltgirl
    Deb2003
    Donnadoobie
    HappiR
    WilLuck
    PaulaZ
    Faithlyn67

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Like you, Wendy, I’m happy to see the back of January and February and pleased to see longer days and spring flowers, as we move into March.

I’m starting this week 1lbs down on this time last week, which brings me to 1.5lb away from target. Fingers crossed that this week will go as well. I’m continuing to weigh, measure and record everything, with the exception of Friday date night dinner, which is my permitted weekly deviation.

Hopefully many of you will have had positive results from the past week, but if you were not one of those with a discard, dust off and join us on making this week count. Looking forward to travelling with you all again for another week.

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Hi All, hope everyone is doing ok. I finished my 8weeks Fast 800 yesterday- pretty much plateaued in the last week, dropping -0.3kg but measurement went in the right direct with waist and chest measurements dropping, so I’ll take that (I exercised over the weekend, and always add a couple of pounds when my muscles ache). Today I’ve started low carb 5:2, and have had some great low carb food. Back on 800 tomorrow (and again Thursday). Will be training 5 times a week now (on all days exc fast). Going to keep checking in on here too. I’m trying to focus more on Blood sugar and body measurements, with a check weight every now again. Still going to record everything I eat, this will go for the next 8 weeks, and if I can retrain to low carb and start to build an understanding of how much to eat etc may drop the cal counting after but we’ll see.

• posted by RubyG
    on

That sounds like a sensible plan RedRooster.
    I haven’t been writing anything down or tracking cals, and the portions have been creeping up, although the general trend is still losing weight for us both.
    We both had a small gain since Friday, I think we just ate too much over the weekend, and by Friday this week the scales should look better.
    I have started the day by logging into MFP and recording our breakfast, I just need to get back in the zone of recording.
    On a positive note, I have just ordered a size 36 jeans for hubby as even the 38s I bought (after sending the 40s back) are maybe a half size too big.
    ODAAT!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, lets hope we continue to have a successful and satisfactory week. Whatever the problems or outcomes we will at least have a very supportive week. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Hi Wendy and thanks for starting another thread.
    I was all over the place last week, by Friday had dropped 1.5 pounds and felt back on track. However as you know I am undergoing fertility treatment and I think I used that as a bit of an excuse at the weekend to over indulge. I weighed myself yesterday and had gained 3 pounds since Friday. I had my egg retrieval yesterday and had take away as a treat afterwards, but after weighing myself this morning I am down a pound again, which is good news. All the drugs have made me feel quite bloated and I have been a bit constipated, do trying to drink as my much water as possible this week.

As I said last week Sunday would have marked the end of the 8 weeks, but I’m not sure how rigidly I really stuck to things, with treats sneaking in. Regardless I’m still 17 pounds down from the beginning of the year, which is not to be sniffed at.
    Am really lacking in
    menu inspiration so I’d anyone has any ideas for some light salads or dinners, please share them.

Good luck everyone this week. We can do it xx

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi Russianroulade, my go-to technique for light suppers is a stir-fry of some description, usually try to keep it to 3-4 ingredients, otherwise I throw everything in every time and every meal stays the same.
    Some recent meals I’ve cooked are:
    – chicken breast with some sliced chorizo, peppers, onion and garlic, lots of paprika and oregano
    – beef skirt (great cut for slicing thinly and cooking quickly) with mushrooms (fresh shiitake are great, but any mushrooms will do) and broccolli (either standard or purple sprouting) with sesame oil (or a spoon of tahini) and soy sauce
    – chicken breast with beansprouts and pak choi with lemon juice and green chilli
    – chicken breast with courgette and pesto, maybe some sliced spinach added at the end to wilt
    – Thai green or yellow curry (squid, prawns, white fish or chicken work well) with sliced courgette or courgettini
    – Thai red curry works better with thinly sliced beef, maybe with a bit of grated carrot
    – a basic tomato sauce using a chopped onion, some chopped garlic and a tin of chopped tomatoes – add any protein such as chicken breast slices, sliced bacon, sliced kabanossi, chicken or pork or beef meatballs, or drop in a few eggs to poach in the sauce

Salads:
    – sauerkraut or kimchi with some tinned fish (tuna, mackerel, pink salmon, sardines)
    – MerryMelba’s lemon pickle with anything
    – boiled eggs with green chilli pickle and mayo
    – tuna mayo with chopped capers and gherkins (no sugar ones)
    – little gem lettuce leaves used as wraps or boats to hold the above fillings, instead of starchy bread/crackers etc.

• posted by Faithlyn67
    on

Rugby,
    I love your RECIPES. I will use these. Can anyone tell me how to get to my favourites on this website. It says save to your favourites but how to reclaim what you have saved?

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Ruby G! Thank you so much, those recipes look fantastic and have provided me with some much needed inspiration. Have some leftover beef and was contemplating a stir fry, but you’ve cemented it for me. Thanks so much xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! I must admit I am someone who likes writing everything down !

Lovely recipe ideas, Ruby G . I just put a piece of swordfish in the oven with a splash of olive oil and lime juice , baked at the same time as a tray of Mediterranean veg ( courgette, aubergine , red pepper and a head of garlic sprinkled with herbes de provence and some olive oil) I put in fennel too if I have any. Any fish would do, fresh tuna is good too .

Very simple and tasty. I had one of my golden lattes today ( almond milk blended with a chunk of ginger and turmeric , ground caraway seeds, ground cardamom and cinnamon . Warmed gently. Soothing and anti inflammatory .

Hope all goes well with your treatment Russianroulade and that you feel better soon . That’s a big ask to concentrate on a weight discard programme while you are undergoing stressful treatment . Thinking of you xx

I found the recipes in Squeaky Clean Keto very appealing and they were nut and dairy free . Lots of low carb ideas on the website I breathe I’m hungry , also .

I need variety as it’s easy to fall into a pattern of the same meals . That is not bad in itself but I tend to increase the portions if I’m not careful !!

Have a great week everyone . Check in if you can

• posted by wendleg
    on

Faithlyn67 , not sure what you mean by saving and retrieving favourites ?

• posted by Workingfromthefridge
    on

Thanks Wendleg for new post. Russianroulade that is a lot to be dealing with all at once. Sending you best wishes! Thought of you today as I watch Countdown daily and roulade was there for seven! My son was asking me what a roulade was. So, one of the nicest parts of lockdown for me has been watching Countdown with my 18-year- old son Jake. After he frequently said he could beat whoever was on I dared him to compete – the upshot is he is on tomorrow! Tune in if you fancy it (English telly). You might recall me talking about how I’d blown my diet on a Byron burger- that was up in Salford on our little road trip through the snow. I’m very proud of him for competing. RubyG those recipes are great thanks. I’ve been diving into new fast 800 cookbook and tried new salad recipe today which was fast and delicious – for two it was about 90g red pepper from a jar, 50g lettuce, quarter of red onion, drained tin of tuna, juice of half lemon, half tin of mixed beans (drained) and one tbsps oil. Simple and delicious and only 230 cals. I also added some cucumber. From same book tonight had chicken with cream cheese in prosciutto, roasted beetroot, celeriac and carrot chips and some beans. About 400 cals.
    Ps For posterity, please help bring one of Jake’s ‘risky’ (made-up) words into common usage. The word is mashier – as in ‘I’d like my potatoes mashier than that please’. (Although even as I write this I realise you’re not the people likely to be regularly talking about potatoes 😂)

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks for the recipe suggestions from others, I also tend to fall into the trap of cooking the same things.
    Good day yesterday, the first day I’ve tracked everything on MFP for a very long time, and came in at 600cals and 20g carbs, which is great!
    Supper last night was beef skirt stir-fried with broccolli, beansprouts, sliced onion and green chilli.
    Tonight’s supper has not yet been decided.
    Wendleg, I’m thinking I need to try the golden latte, but I’ll make it with cow’s milk as that’s what I have.
    ODAAT everyone!

• posted by RubyG
    on

I almost forgot, we both watched the MM program from last week, and it was very informative, especially the guideline daily cals which the NHS publishes, and which may be too high for many people. The woman he interviewed about the guidelines was a bit annoying though. It was also interesting to see that losing weight has a positive effect, even if that weight does creep back for you to have to lose again.

on

Hi all, nothing much to say really. Still under a weight I am happy with, still trying to lose a bit before my medical in 2 weeks. Have a good end of week everyone.

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Hello, signing in for support. Did this plan a few years ago to drop weight for fertility treatment- several tries later am now a mummy, with a fat tummy! Hoping to drop 4.5 stone over coming months and know I enjoy this woe. Enjoying catching up on your posts to get into the groove. Look forward to sharing with you all 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome back Onetowatch and congratulations on now being a mum. As someone who has been around the forum for considerable time, I think I remember your name from before.

Obviously you are well clued in about this WOE, but if you hit any snags shout out and someone will offer advice and support. The weekly thread is a band of fellow travellers, at various stages along their BSD journeys, all keen to encourage each other and share in celebrations. Please keep us posted on your progress and we’ll look forward to getting to know you better.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Friday is a weigh-in day for us, and shows a steady loss week-on-week since last Friday, even though we both gained a bit over last weekend. I think we’re both comfortable with checking-in on a Tuesday and seeing a loss on a Friday.
    Working full-time, it’s easier to be more disciplined Monday to Friday, with higher cals over the weekend. We’re nowhere near as bad as the people on the MM program were on the weekend, though – we still eat well with plenty of variety and greens, just eat a bit more and maybe have a snack of some nuts or a dessert of yoghurt, and possibly a drink on Saturday night.

Re. food prep, another go-to technique I use a lot is a tray-bake meal (I think I got this idea from the Hairy Dieter’s Cookbooks), so last night’s supper was 1 lamb loin chop each (plus he had some sliced lamb’s heart to up his portion size), cooked in a hot oven with 1 bulb fennel sliced, 1 courgette thickly sliced, some chopped preserved lemons, and served with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and plenty of chopped fresh mint.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• posted by RubyG
    on

I charted his weight loss today – 50lbs gone since 26th October!
    I’ve suggested he can celebrate by having 2 sausages for supper tonight instead of 1 🙂
    Supper is sausages (homemade so 100% pork, no rusk), egg and chips (celeriac of course).

• posted by nicnocgee
    on

Hello everyone
    I’m new to the Fast 800, starting this week. Seems to be going well as also adding into the mix 16:8.
    My main target is not only to lose weight but also support my husband in losing weight although he isn’t on the same diet as me.
    Breakfast has been the vanilla shake but as I’m finding them a bit sweet, I’ve taken to adding some cinnamon and that takes the edge off…..
    Lunches so far are eggs with salad or last night’s left over veg.
    I tend to make dinners for the whole household. We’ve been eating the recipes from the Fast 800 diet book (I think Justine Patterson is great) – high meat content sausages and vegetables, chicken, chorizo and pepper traybake and last night I made a chicken curry. When everyone else has carbs, I just have extra veg. Although my substitute of button mushrooms and cabbage seems to be a hit with everyone else too.
    Good luck everyone
    Nic

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Nic, glad to have you with us on the weekly thread. Sounds like you’ve made a good start on the way of eating and working out tweaks so that it’s easier when catering for the family. If you hit any snags or have any questions, just shout out and someone will respond, but regardless, please keep us posted on your progress. Have a good weekend.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi All,
    Just got around to joining this week’s thread! My colposcopy appt was fairly reassuring- she could see 2 small areas of low grade changes so unless the biopsies show anything more I shouldn’t need any treatment, just extra monitoring. So I’ve been feeling heaps better after that. The WOE is going ok- lowish carb, med style, lowish calorie, with the odd treat and also some proper low cal days. I am a big ‘record everything’ kinda dieter so I have been experimenting with some days of no counting and some lower cal days….feeling my way thru and finding what is best for me. I have a bit more weight to lose to get my waistline targets etc, and am keeping up plenty of exercise.
    Love to all,
    Tulip1 xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Tulip, really glad that your follow-up appointment didn’t throw up anything scary. Also pleased that you are finding ways of managing this WOE, to better suit your life style.

Have a good weekend 🙂

on

Hi everyone, seems to be a very quiet week on the thread.

Welcome to nicnogee. Sounds like you have got it worked out as a supportive partner and also adjusting the recipes to fit in with family life. Helps to keep on track, especially if the family are enjoying the meals.

Welcome back onetowatch. You certainly are one to watch and big congratulations on the arrival of your baby. I remember this diet played a large part in getting you to where you needed to be for your treatment. I just love success stories and it helps other realise their own potential whether it be to have children, reverse diabetes, ease other medical problems or simply lose weight they have been battling with for years.

I have been doing well and managed to get down to my pre-Christmas weight but then I have a confession. The Michlin star restaurant where I ordered my Christmas dinner from has a bistro alongside it. The meals are cooked under the same M* chef but at bistro prices. Like everyone else we havent been out for such a long time and thought it would be a nice change to not have to cook on Sunday and have a beautiful meal pre-prepared for us. I usually say no, because I am always worrying about the calories etc, I also find with French meals there is a fish course I cannot eat as I dont like anything fishy or crustatean, but as it is a menu that suits me, hubby said I have to let go sometime or we would never do anything. We have just collected it and it will be our main and only meal of the day. Fortunately the French dont go big on carby meals (except touristy places that have chips with everything) and we are having garlic soup with croutons of crispy proscutio ham, roasted tenderloin of pork with sweet potato puree ending with a poached pear with a crumble of white chocolate brownie – I call that a blondie – . Just looked in the tub and it is just a sprinkle. I will do a calorie check but I dont think it is going to be too bad and I am going to enjoy it.

The weekend is nearly over and I hope you have all enjoyed it in some way and look forward to better times ahead s00000000n.

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi all

Sunshine girl I don’t think there’s anything wrong at all with allowing yourself a treat now and then, like you say we have all had such a tough year and I too am missing going out! We’ve just finalised plans for a family get together at my house on Easter Sunday, it’ll be the first time I’ve seen my mum and sister in six months and we’re having pizza for ease of social distancing etc (we can order a pizza per family and then no cross contamination etc) – it’s only one day and we all know if we get back on it the next day we will soon repair any “damage” – and don’t forget the good it will do to your mental health to have a “treat” and have a break from constant counting etc. Enjoy it I say but that’s just me!

I’ve been dabbling in ultra low carb the last two weeks (under 20g) and I have to say I’ve found it HARD, I don’t feel I’m eating enough green veg and I’m finding it hard to keep my calorie count up without just adding a random splodge of butter or oil to everything which I don’t find pleasant. Sick to death of eggs! I’m not sure it’s made much difference to the rate of loss either and I’ve felt hungry and tired and fluey again so I think I might try going back up to 25g from next week. Credit to all of you who manage less than 20g a day, it’s not easy!!

I’m now as of this morning (10 weeks) at a loss of 26.4lbs (which is frustratingly only 0.5lb from my 10%!!) so still losing steadily, very slowly now, only 1lb a week but I’ll take that.

Welcome to all the newcomers! And congrats to those who are doing well, commiserations to those who are struggling! Russianroulade (forgive me if it’s not you) I think you’ve started your fertility treatment this week, best of luck with all of that – I’m hop

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi all

Sunshine girl I don’t think there’s anything wrong at all with allowing yourself a treat now and then, like you say we have all had such a tough year and I too am missing going out! We’ve just finalised plans for a family get together at my house on Easter Sunday, it’ll be the first time I’ve seen my mum and sister in six months and we’re having pizza for ease of social distancing etc (we can order a pizza per family and then no cross contamination etc) – it’s only one day and we all know if we get back on it the next day we will soon repair any “damage” – and don’t forget the good it will do to your mental health to have a “treat” and have a break from constant counting etc. Enjoy it I say but that’s just me!

I’ve been dabbling in ultra low carb the last two weeks (under 20g) and I have to say I’ve found it HARD, I don’t feel I’m eating enough green veg and I’m finding it hard to keep my calorie count up without just adding a random splodge of butter or oil to everything which I don’t find pleasant. Sick to death of eggs! I’m not sure it’s made much difference to the rate of loss either and I’ve felt hungry and tired and fluey again so I think I might try going back up to 25g from next week. Credit to all of you who manage less than 20g a day, it’s not easy!!

I’m now as of this morning (10 weeks) at a loss of 26.4lbs (which is frustratingly only 0.5lb from my 10%!!) so still losing steadily, very slowly now, only 1lb a week but I’ll take that.

Welcome to all the newcomers! And congrats to those who are doing well, commiserations to those who are struggling! Russianroulade (forgive me if it’s not you) I think you’ve started your fertility treatment this week, best of luck with all of that – I’m hoping to start trying for a baby in a month or so and just hoping it all goes well.

Tulips I’m glad your colposcopy was ok!

I had a question regarding nuts, I’ve read a few times on here that nuts should be seen as a “treat” and only a couple of times a week, but if we are talking low carb nuts (and strict portions – I only have 10g Max) like almonds or pecans or walnuts, can someone explain to me why they can’t be eaten every day? Do they spike our insulin or something? I find I include nuts in a lot of my meals – I never have them as a snack, but always with a meal, so chopped into a salad or blended into homemade butter or as a crust on a chicken breast or just alongside some cheese or meat at lunch, all calorie counted, fits within my carb limits and protein limits and allows for healthy fats and all the nutritious benefits, and makes meals just a bit more filling – or provides much needed crunch. Am I self sabotaging by doing this?? I just feel a bit confused!

Lauren x

on

Hi all, happy Monday. Not sure the meal was such a good idea as I have been awake half the night with heartburn and feeling sick. I loved the soup with the crispy ham but then found that I had had enough. The pork was nice and the sweet potato puree was silky smooth but it was all too rich for my palate. Then there was the pudding which I ate the chopped pears and walnuts from the bottom, it was more like a trifle, delicious but too sweet. Maybe I will go for the 2 courses next time as they do starter and main or main and dessert for a lower price. Just shows how our tastes change and I am happy to stick with smaller less rich meals from now on. Have a good week everyone.

Just changed ‘happy to sick’ to ‘happy to stick’. Freudian slip as I do feel sick.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !

Sorry I have been a bit quite this week . All is well, just a few things to sort ( my sore shoulder being one but getting better )

SunnyB is going to set upthe new weekly thread so watch out for that xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Lauren, I don’t know any reason nuts should just be an occasional ‘treat’. As far as I’m concerned, providing they are just eaten occasionally and in small quantities, there’s no reason to avoid them. If anyone knows otherwise, please say. Keeping ultra low carb is problematic and not an easy thing to do. Your plan to return to a higher level sounds very reasonable. Your loss so far is impressive and your proposed carb level sounds very reasonable to keep that loss going.
    SunshineGirl, sorry your special meal left you feeling rather uncomfortable and unwell. Still, think events like that teach us a lot. You have recognised that small meals would suit you better and will enjoy your next special meal more.

Finally, if you would like to continue on with us for another week, you will find a new weekly thread waiting for you to jump over to …. look forward to seeing you all there in the coming days.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Quick call out to previous participants of the weekly thread. There is now a new weekly thread live, with 8th March in the title. Do please join us there and keep us updated on your progress …. looking forward to seeing you there🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.