ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning 27th August 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Wendy – that’s a great post. Happy first anniversary.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Wendleg, Happy anniversary! I loved your post and thank you for the thank you. I can’t believe it is only a year since you started: you are an integral part of this community and have played such an important part in the journey of others. Just a suggestion, but would you copy and paste your post to the success stories thread – it would be a shame if it totally vanished into the ether. xxx

Have you heard from Allie at all? She seems to be very quiet.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi David
    Just wondering how your numbers are doing. 4.7 and 4.6 are really good numbers to see and a great sign of how well you’re doing. I remember thinking ‘woah’ when I first saw a 4.2, but now my bgls range anywhere between 4 and 5.5 and I’m completely fine. My hba1cs are in the normal range.

But, the reason I’m posting is because I’m wondering about medication? Are you still taking any? if you are you may need to think about working with your doctor or nurse to start reducing them so you don’t go too low. I never took any medication (long story) so I can’t give any experience of how I managed the reduction of meds but others can if you need it – I get the sense you’re an old hand (in wisdom only, of course!) so you may not need it. Anyway, brilliant news and a positive sign of things to come.

Jennie xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks for stepping in to advise David, Jennie xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

I have taken up a lot of space on the thread today with my long long post but there is plenty of room for everyone ! Pop in and let us know how you are doing.
    I will set up the new weekly thread later today and I will also be Serious and Sensible in September ( and Positive, always Positive !)

• posted by wendleg
    on

Caronl, you are so sweet ! I have done as you suggested and copied and pasted my post to the Success Stories thread.I think lots more people should do the same.There are some fantastic successes to share.
    Allie is fine but she has been very busy. I hope she will find time to pop in very soon.

Have a good day everyone.It feels quite special, back to school, back to work for some ? Renewal and refocus time ?

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

I didn’t know about that success stories thread. Will go have a browse, must be very inspiring.

• posted by Verano
    on

Wendy what a wonderfully inspiring post, it made me smile. You have done so well and it’s really good to be reminded of all the positives thus WoE brings. Keep enjoying the journey!

• posted by David Knight
    on

Hi Jennie
    Just to fill in a bit of background
    I went to the doctors a few days ago and to find that my blood test results were too high. I was prescribed a 3rd set of drugs but warned that they might give me a hypo and the possible consequences.
    I was a bit freaked out at this and did not start taking them straight away. My wife had, in the meantime, bought ‘the fast 800’. I had tried 5:2 before but had not been able to stick to it. I resolved to give at another go (800 cals this time and adding in overnight fasting) and started on the 28th.
    I thought I should check my progress with the strips that I was to use for checking for hypos which I did from the 31st. In 3 days they have gone 4.7 4.6 and 4.5.
    We are off for a long weekend in Amsterdam from Wednesday and I am sure I won’t be 100% on plan then so I was going to wait until next week before seeing the doctor again.
    I think that I will see how I am tomorrow after a fasting day today – any lower and I will go in.
    Thanks very much for the advice and the concern
    David

• posted by StickeeUK
    on

Thank you all so much for your lovely welcome. I wanted to wait until after the weekend to post as I wanted to see how my weekend went!
    I am trying to stay under the 30g of carb, though I did break that on today’s meal plan and I am having 50, (damn you breakfast banana grab food).
    Over the weekend I have lost 3.3kg! I couldn’t believe it. I thought I’d loose 2lb maybe, not 7! I am thrilled and it’s spurred me on, those slight pangs on hunger I felt between lunch and dinner are worth it for that kinda loss!

Hopefully i’ll get to a point that the lovely Wendy seems to have gotten above! Happy anniversary Wendy! 🙂

Hope your weeks all go well!

• posted by Maisiebeth
    on

That is an amazing achievement Wendy. What I really like about this forum is that it is populated by real people who have faced the same issues I have and have worked out how best to overcome them. But its the honesty of admitting the slip ups and the difficult times that is so inspiring. When you read some blurb about different diets it’s all “so easy, never feel hungry, bags of energy etc”,. Well usually it isn’t. It’s hard to give up the things you love, I constantly feel hungry and do get tired but its listening to people who going through the same and also getting a fabulous weight discard that keep me motivated. I am lighter than I have been in ages and 1.5lb off being officially within the normal weight bracket! So thank you Wendy and everyone else on here for your encouragement, humour and patience!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Wendy, what a delightful post. I am sure it will be inspirational to so many people not only your success in discarding weight but in then building a life on the shoulders of this Way of Eating.

Thank you for your thank you, however, I have to say in return thank you for asking questions. 🙂 – When people ask questions it reminds me to study research papers on the topic, I can’t take any credit for that research I just like gathering input and passing on the links to others – Maybe I should have registered on the forum as Johnny5 —— More Input.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi David,
    Thanks for the background info. My story is a little bit similar in that when I was first diagnosed Type II my blood sugars were very high. My GP wanted me to go on Metformin x 4. I was reluctant because I’ve always had quite severe gastric reactions to any medication, let alone Metformin, but I initially agreed. However, my prescription had to come via a practice nurse appointment which was delayed (by them) for a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, similar to your wife, I came across the original BSD diet. I started that, did 800 cals/20g carbs, tested my bgls, and at the end of the two weeks I could see it was working – they had already come down quite a lot. I decided not to take the Metformin, so I’m with you on that third set of meds.

Have a good time in Amsterdam – oh, and a big shout out to your wife for finding the Fast 800!
    Jennie xx

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Wow! Just wow Wendy and congratulations my dear friend. You are so so gracious and you have always been an inspiration to me and many others.❤️❤️ I know if it weren’t for you and your gentle nagging I would not be 4 stone lighter. You , Allie, Jgwen and Esnecca were what kept me on this amazing woe in the beginning and still. I am so very thankful for you and heart warmed that you have not only been my inspiration and help on here, but you have embraced me as your friend too🥰🥰. I know I am very lucky. We all are to have you here on this forum. Your words will resonate with so many and I am sure we will see many more joining us.

Thank you for all that you do and well done on all of your own success over this year. Love ya you crazy lovely lady.❤️❤️❤️

Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by Coriander
    on

Thanks for your inspirational and encouraging post today, Wendy. You’ve done so well on the plan. Some valuable lessons learned, too.

I’m just starting week 2 on the Fast800. I lost about 8lbs last week. Had some issues, such as feeling faint and very weak a lot – partly due to the fact that I started the week with a bad cold which left me feeling unwell. I also struggled a little at the weekend, due to early starts for work (up at 3.30am on Saturday, 4.15am on Sunday). I managed to not start eating til 10am, though, and I didn’t eat whacking great amounts of food like I usually do when I’ve been up early for work. And I didn’t stop off at the Co Op on my way home for a Ritter Sport choccie bar, which had started to become a bad habit.

The good news is that although I caved in and went over my 800 cals for a few days, due to feeling weak and faint, I didn’t do it with cake/chocolate/bread/crisps etc. Also, my cravings have gone, I’m learning to live with hunger pangs, and I’m not constantly thinking about food. Hurrah!

I now have about 2 stone to lose, and I really feel confident about doing it.

Just a question, if i may, about some of the acronyms used on the forums (woe, etc) – what do they all mean? Cheers.

Have a good week, folks!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi coriander great news on the discard but sorry you felt ill with it, a lot of people get what is called carb flu or Keto flu and it is very normal and should go away within a few days to a week. Fingers crossed for you that the worst is over. Once you have had it I don’t think it comes back when you stick to this woe( way of eating). I think Wendy put up a list in the Take a look at this thread that gives you all of the acronyms we use. If it is not there then I am sure Wendy will be along soon to tell you where it is, but I am doing cartwheels here for your amazing first week discard, it makes you feel amazing and you can see that it really does work.

Keep going hun we are all here to support you. Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by Coriander
    on

Thank you, Birdy!

I’d started the cold the weekend before beginning the plan, so I don’t think it was a carb flu thing. Maybe I’ve still got that to come – argh!

I’ll go and take a look at the acronym explainer, thanks for signposting.

Hope you have a good week 🙂

xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here you are Coriander

Acronyms

ACV: Apple cider vinegar
    ADF: Alternate day fasting
    BG: Blood glucose
    BMI: Body mass index
    BMR: Basal metabolic rate
    BP: Blood pressure
    BPC: Bullet proof coffee
    CICO: Calories in calories out
    EF: Extended fasting – a fast lasting longer than 48hrs
    eTRE: Early time restricted eating
    FBG: Fasting blood glucose
    HbA1c: Hemoglobin A1c (represents average blood glucose over 3 months)
    HFCS: High fructose corn syrup
    HIIT: High intensity interval training
    HTN: Hypertension
    HWC: Heavy whipping cream (Pure cream is an Australian alternative)
    IF: Intermittent fasting – a fast lasting between 24hrs and 48hrs
    IR: Insulin resistance
    Keto: Ketogenic diet (generally under 20g carbs/day)
    LCHFMP: Low carb healthy fats (HF is also often referred to as high fat) moderate protein
    MCT: Medium chain triglycerides
    MFP: My Fitness Pal
    NSV: Non scale victory
    OMAD: One meal a day
    PCOS: Polycystic ovary syndrome
    SAD: Standard American diet
    T2D: Type 2 diabetes
    TOFI: Thin on the outside, fat on the inside
    TRE: Time-restricted Eating – a fast lasting less than 24hrs
    WOE: Way of eating
    WOL: Way of life

• posted by Coriander
    on

Fab, thanks Wendy!

• posted by wendleg
    on

I hope you don’t mind Babybumble bee but I copied your post onto this weekly thread so you can get some support.

Hello, I’m still plugging away. It’s been lovely to have lots of posts to read and even better to see people working towards their goals. I’m still on OMAD (23:1) and have a really bad rash over my body, it’s driving me crazy. I had been on holiday so allowed my carbs to go up to 60g for a few days and the rash improved. Back down to 20g and the rash has got considerably worse. I saw there is such a thing as Keto rash although it’s rare. I would have to say the evidence points to that though. It’s certainly not a heat rash as I’ve been freezing and not sweating excessively. Completed 9 weeks now and although I’ve discarded 20.25lbs, It’s a bit slower than a lot of people. I’ve got another 4 stone to go so had thought it might be a bit quicker with being so overweight. Looks like I’ll have to go longer than the 12 weeks to make any headway. I might even try the egg fast or an extended fast after the 12 weeks, we shall see. Any loss is better for my health though, so I should stop moaning and be grateful! Comparison is the thief of joy, right? It is demotivating to read that others (on other forums) are dropping 3-4lb a week consistently and still eating junk food at weekends though. I guess my body is gonna do it’s own thing. Still off the Diet Pepsi but I really miss it, I have a Pavlovian response when someone opens a can near me!
    Anyway, it’s been great to catch up with the posts, just keep swimming! xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Babybumblebee
    First of all, really sorry to hear about your rash.I remember WoodDuckie experiencing something similar and we thought it might indeed be keto rash.The dietdoctor site mentions it I think.

I really think that 20 plus pounds in 9 weeks is VERY GOOD GOING !! Who is comparing ? Only you and you are the only person your weight discard concerns. When you say it will take you longer than the 12 weeks to make headway, you ALREADY have made headway !!! You should be proud of what you have achieved so far. I personally don’t care what other people are reading on their scales. I want to focus instead on my health, my challenges and my successes. Just carry on with the 12 weeks, adjusting as you need to without excessive expectations. Think about long lasting changes you can make and maintain. We don’t have to repeat that it’s not a quick fix, you know that 😉 Yes yes yes ….any loss /discard is good for your health !!!
    I hate the idea of you feeling discouraged because you have the impression others (whatever forum they are on ?) are having more rapid progress . That is irrelevant. Bear in mind you can’t have massive discards every single Week. ….and that’s ok ! Your pace is your pace. Concentrate on establishing a healthy relationship with food..and beating the cravings because I believe that to be the key to long term success and maintenance, not how quickly you achieve a particular number .
    Please remember you are not alone in your struggles but you need to believe in yourself more !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Babybumblebee !
    I forgot to say that ‘eating junk foods at weekends’ as you have read others are doing is nothing to envy !!!! I am proud to say junk foods are not part of my life and never will be. Why would they be …yuk !!! What motivates me is the delicious, nourishing foods I can eat, not any junky carbage …!!! Junk food does not equate with good health …

I am going all bossy again 😉

Well done by the way on resisting the Diet Coke! Don’t give in and you soon won’t miss it at all . Have you found alternatives ?
    I know it’s not quite the same but I have a Brita water filter and it makes me feel that tap water is more of a treat (and stops me buying bottled water) . It’s all clean and fresh tasting ! Allie and Birdy put ginger in their water. Kafin has a soda stream .
    Stay with us BBB !!!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

First off, congrats to my lovely Wendy – such a wonderful, moving post and I love all your points. Even if we’re not all as far along the spectrum of them, I think we can all see the wisdom and potential. You’re inspirational to me and even better than that, you’ve been a wonderful friend, holding me up when I needed it most. Everyone needs a Wendy in their life 💕
    Stickee!! What a great result for your start, it is encouraging isn’t it? Let that keep you going through the times when it slows down, persistence seems to be the key and you’ve started off with a bang!
    Coriander, congrats on keeping going despite not feeling well. Hope it passes and you come right 😊
    See you all over on the new thread later today (thanks, Wendy) xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am about to set up the new weekly thread everyone ! Please come and join us !

• posted by Baby Bumblebee
    on

Thank you Wendleg, for your response and also for your inspirational anniversary post. That’s great going. I will continue to use the forum for support and will keep an eye on the weekly thread as well as go back the archives a bit when I have some time. It’s really useful to see people posting that have been doing this WOE for some time and haven’t given up. Very encouraging. Good luck with the next year, looking forward to you following up with next year’s anniversary post. 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.